Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngI finished and platinum Sly 2, which gives me a total of 24 finished games and 2 NG points. I will get/start Senran Kagura Estival Versus after I get the 3 points.

As for Assassin's Creed Revelations, the game is too much similar to the previous game, Broterhood, even though its platinum seems way easier the Brotherhood (Haven't platted Brotherhood because getting al 100% synch is a pain in the *ss, I don't know how its platinum is an uncommon one), but I'm still enjoying it at lot, because its story closes the trilogy of Ezio'story as well as Altair's flashbacks. The sidequests do not have much meaning and most of them don't count for the platinum, so I'm not planning to do them either.

I've been doing the Daily and Weekly challenges of Rayman Legends and been slowly progressing through its levels. The game is really cool and I believe it may be better on coop.

As for the Vita, I went back to Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and I'm falling in love with Vert ? Screw Neptune, I want Vert! Currently on Chapter 3.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

I liked the humour but everything else about the game was too bland.

Hey, did we just agree on a game?

A day to remember! :dance:

33 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

I actually thought the final boss was a lot easier than a few of the other bosses in the game (I think the polar bear was the toughest for me).

That's funny, because the polar bear was also hard but pretty doable for me on my second try I think. The final boss just wiped the floor with me though xD.

Took me a whole two evenings to finally beat him. And after I did I was pretty damn happy.

It was never frustrating by the way, I really liked the challange, the whole game in fact.

35 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

I played the entire game with Dixie as a buddy, by the way. That hoover mode is brilliant.

Dixie all the way! Cranky was pretty useless most of the time imo.

Dishonored: Definitive Edition

p1_2350431_9737597c.jpg

• Played on Hard
  • Took me 20h to finish
  • Bought it for 10€

I was a bit sceptical as I started this a few days ago because I had already played it back in 2012 when it first came out.

In my memory Dishonored was a really awesome, underrated and spectacular game. But as is often the case, memories tend to mislead. And things, games especially, often look worse than you remember them...

...but gladly this is not the case for me with Dishonored. After an almost insultingly bad opening mission Dishonored fires all its guns at once in the second mission/first real assassination and doesn't stop till the credits (and a few heads) roll.

It's hard to describe how it feels to play Dishonored. You can vaguely say that it's like first person Hitman with superpowers, but I think that undersells it.

The freedom you get in simple movement and the sheer endless possibilities that come with it are amazing.

There is a power called Possession. With it you can control living creatures, first rats and fish and later human guards if you upgrade it. I had a moment where I was atop a churchlike structure with guards surrounding the building. I couldn't really jump off without being seen so I thought of a more creative way to master this situation.

I jumped straight off the building and as gravity did it's thing connecting me to the floor to bring me certain death, I possessed a guard in the last second right before hitting the floor. I then walked out of the danger zone and continued my sneak routine.

The fact the game gives you tools to do this sort of stuff is worthy of recognition. While this was only one of several awesome moments I had with Dishonored.

Many say the game is ugly, or that its visuals didn't age well... I never got why. The art style is an obviously deliberate decision and not a product of low budget or untalented developers.

Sure, objectively there are a lot of muddy textures, but if you look at the whole picture it creates a 'painted in watercolours' like look, that is quite beautiful.

Not to speak of the strinking sunsets this game pets your eyes with.

It's baffling to me how many people actually criticise this as an objective flaw of the game.

So what's not to like then?

Well, what I considered bad was that the game encourages save scamming a little too much. This and Bethesda again not putting the original english voice acting in the EU version of the game. They did the same with Evil Within by the way.

I don't know what to say, I don't think I have to explain how fucking stupid this is.

The one strinking flaw this game has is it's weak start and the little too abrupt ending, everything in between is brilliant.

I'd give Dishonored an 8/10.

Played on Xbox One X

J

Edited by Paleblood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paleblood said:

That's funny, because the polar bear was also hard but pretty doable for me on my second try I think. The final boss just wiped the floor with me though xD.

Took me a whole two evenings to finally beat him. And after I did I was pretty damn happy.

It was never frustrating by the way, I really liked the challange, the whole game in fact.

The polar bear be ame much easier for me when I Switched switched to docked with pro controller. Still tougher than the final boss though. Perhaps the other bosses would have been less of a problem if I hadn't played in handheld mode. I only recall the owl giving me a bit of trouble.

Overall I'd call the game fair, though I wouldn't have minded if the controls had been a bit more precise and responsive. I had a few unnecessary deaths. I liked the bosses, and the variation in levels. In particular the first time I had a rocket level; I didn't know those existed and I was very pleasantly surprised when I realised what the barrel was doing.

Finished the story!

L5d1a3d.png

Bought this in May, but I neglected it in favour of other games because, even though I loved the puzzles I could solve, the game relies on the player figuring out what areas they can and can't do at any given time, and I quickly got tired of wandering around (even though I had apparently still missed about a third of the island). Now, with a bit of help from the guide on PSNP, Ianaged to separate storyline from optional and understood in which order it was best to solve things. I had left a bunch of areas half-solved as halfway through they started to rely on stuff I hadn't seen yet.

The Witness is a good game, but it's mostly for the Myst and Zork players who get a kick out of being dropped in a game with zero explanation and the entire setting being open all at once.

Personally, I thought the other first person puzzle game with underlying story, The Talos Principle, was much better, due to a bigger story and a clearer overworld with a better sense of progression.

Anyway, another game done, and one more game allowed to buy! Yeah!

• Like 2

@Paleblood, I'm doing good with my game thanks! :)  I've just finished 3 12 hour shifts so I'm shattered but once I've had some sleep tonight, I'll be jumping on Crash 2 tomorrow, and I've decided I'm not doing anything so I've even more time to game! ;) 

I'm also going to get Hitman installed as I've been thinking about it at work and I really fancy some stealthyness in my life right now!

How are you getting on with yours? Had a look at State of Decay yet?! ;) 

Got the platinum!

15 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Finished the story!

L5d1a3d.png

Bought this in May, but I neglected it in favour of other games because, even though I loved the puzzles I could solve, the game relies on the player figuring out what areas they can and can't do at any given time, and I quickly got tired of wandering around (even though I had apparently still missed about a third of the island). Now, with a bit of help from the guide on PSNP, Ianaged to separate storyline from optional and understood in which order it was best to solve things. I had left a bunch of areas half-solved as halfway through they started to rely on stuff I hadn't seen yet.

The Witness is a good game, but it's mostly for the Myst and Zork players who get a kick out of being dropped in a game with zero explanation and the entire setting being open all at once.

Personally, I thought the other first person puzzle game with underlying story, The Talos Principle, was much better, due to a bigger story and a clearer overworld with a better sense of progression.

Anyway, another game done, and one more game allowed to buy! Yeah!

I went back and did the challenge needed for the final trophy, a timed gauntlet of randomised puzzles.

The challenge gauntlet really made the game even more enjoyable for me. I'll probably go back from time to time to do some remaining puzzles.

• Like 1

Finished the main story of Dragon Ball Raging Blast. I had wanted to get every Dragon Ball plat, but after playing Raging Blast... I may not. It got better as I got used to the battle system, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. It's just not very fun. I really need an exceptional game to play. The last few I've played have been terrible at worst to meh at best. Guess that's what happens when you start to get to the bottom of the backlog though. x_x

I will say that I feel pretty accomplished in how far I've come, getting under 100 games. When I initially started working through my backlog (which was before the event started) I was at over 250 games across 17 consoles. Now I'm at under 100 across 13. It doesn't reflect well in my initial post, because I didn't keep track for the first few months, and I also just reworked everything a couple months ago, but the event has helped a lot. I really want to thank everyone here for being so supportive and of course @Paleblood for creating the event in the first place.

Anyway, on to something else!

Edit

13 minutes ago, Moosbert said:

Hey, does anyone else have the problem that spoiler tags won't open? For a reason I don't know, on my original post the spoiler tags do not open. On anyone else posts everything works fine. Am I doing anything wrong?

That happens to me sometimes. It usually fixes itself once I edit and save it again.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 2

Finished the story!

Lc44084.png

I bought Life Goes On: Done To Death a bit over a year ago, and wasn't really charmed by it back then. Stoped playjng after barely finishing one world. Decided to start up the game again a day or two ago and I really enjoyed it now.

Life Goes On is a puzzle platformer with a twist: you NEED to die. And use your corpse to get through the level.

(Seeing as how often @MosesRockefeller dies in platforming, this game should be a piece of cake for him ;))

I enjoyed the puzzles, they require a big of thinking but the answer is never out of reach, the levels aren't too long and there's quite a bit of fun in there, with new puzzle parts every so often so it doesn't get too repetitive.

• Like 1

Now up to 25 games completed from my backlog and 19 other games completed.

Finished up Journey (PS4) for both stacks now 100%, Firewatch (PS4) and World of Nubla (PS4).

Also complete both episodes of Blues and Bullets which unfortunately is unlikely to ever finish as Crowd of Monsters refuses to acknowledge that they haven't got the resources to finish it this decade. So this is classed as completed for me.

Will hopefully finish Gem Smashers, Energy Balance and Persian Nights by the end of the week to make room for more EZPZ games in my backlog.

Just working out that I would need to finish 891 games to have 90% of my backlog completed.

So far I am at 20.4% with 202/990 completed. Still a ways to go....

• Like 1

I ended Assassin's Creed Revelations story and started Borderlands 2, as well as Sly Cooper 3 and started/bought Senran Kagura: Estival Versus, having a total of 25 completed games and my NG points going back to 0!

Since everbody is making reviews, here's mine about the latest game I completed:

Lcf8953.png

• Finished on ~15/20 hours
  • Bought together with the Ezio Collection for 20 euros (my first PS4 physical purchase)

When I finished Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood one year ago, I wasn't so eager to start Revelations, so I could play other games and don't get a little tired of AC. I suddenly felt the urge of playing this game now and I feel that I really enjoyed. Since the game is very similar to Brotherhood with very few new mechanics, it felt a little big nostalgic but I'm a little sad that the new mechanics didn't bring something interesting. The bomb crafting system is interesting at first but then, after I noticed I did not craft/use a lot of them (except for the smoke ones), I didn't spend too much time. As for the den defense, at first it seems interesting, but then it is a little worthless (There was no reward for it. You just try to defend your dens and that's it). 

Storywise, it focuses way more on Ezio's story (the Assassin) than Desmond (a character in the present who uses the Animus to "relive" in first person the life of Ezio) and it closes the story of Ezio and Altair (I never played the first Assasin's Creed so I don't know if the some of Altair episodes already happen in the first game or not), even though once again, I got a cliffhanger ending, which means I will have to play Assassin's Creed III in order to understand what is going on in the modern days. Desmond sequences give a little bit of fresh air and are not your typical AC episodes, but they are not mandatory anyway.

Most of this game's sidequests and collecitbles are useless and just for completion (and fortunately, this time, most of them are not required for trophies), plus getting 100% completion on missions are only necessary storywise for the main missions (which I only did not complete 4 of them) which means this game platinum is probably way easier than AC Brotherhood, which its platinum is super grindy and boring as hell. 

I have not played the DLC yet, but I will have to play it if I want the platinum. I'm really excited about the next AC games.

• Like 3

On ‎19‎.‎08‎.‎2018 at 2:09 AM, Moosbert said:

Hey, does anyone else have the problem that spoiler tags won't open? For a reason I don't know, on my original post the spoiler tags do not open. On anyone else posts everything works fine. Am I doing anything wrong?

I have that sometimes too but don't know why, it seems very random to me. My guess is that the site doesn't/has trouble to load something properly?

37 minutes ago, Caju_94 said:

Assassin's Creed Revelations (...) Snip

This is my favorite ''classic'' Assassins Creed game. I don't really care for new mechanics in a franchise if I'm ok with the current ones (which I was at the time) so that never bothered me. but this game has by far the best story in the franchise in my opinion. Something about old Ezio just really grabbed me.

My two other favorite Assassins Creed games are Black Flag and Origins, tell me how you liked those if you ever get to them ;) 

---------

@AshestoAshes28 Great to hear you got some game time down, how was your weekend?

I'm doing great on my games! I started Yakuza 0 a couple days ago and I fell in love with it about 10 minutes in haha.

Still haven't started State of Decay, but if I ever will, you will be the first to know xD.

J

Edited by Paleblood
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

This is my favorite ''classic'' Assassins Creed game. I don't really care for new mechanics in a franchise if I'm ok with the current ones (which I was at the time) so that never bothered me. but this game has by far the best story in the franchise in my opinion. Something about old Ezio just really grabbed me.

My two other favorite Assassins Creed games are Black Flag and Origins, tell me how you liked those if you ever get to them ;) 

Yeah, storywise Revelations is amazing. I really loved when in the last sequence (spoilers)

Spoiler

Ezio opened the door to see the corpse of the dead Altair and when he directly talked to Desmond, knowing he was talking to someone from the future.

I don't know if I will wait to get AC3 for the Vita or I skip directly to Black Flag (even though I miss the final story of Desmond). I already tested Black Flag on my cousin's PS3 and I loved it. A different vibe, lots of boats, plus I loved pirates. :) They told me that starting AC4, there is no specific recommended order (the modern day episodes are not consistent).

44 minutes ago, Caju_94 said:

I don't know if I will wait to get AC3 for the Vita or I skip directly to Black Flag (even though I miss the final story of Desmond). I already tested Black Flag on my cousin's PS3 and I loved it. A different vibe, lots of boats, plus I loved pirates. :) They told me that starting AC4, there is no specific recommended order (the modern day episodes are not consistent).

Not entirely true about the order of the newer games. The story still follows the Order of Assassins but using Abstergo employees as hackables to get their info. 

But I get the idea that its just really a side story against the more modern Animus memories and doesn't add much to After Desmond.

1 hour ago, Paleblood said:

I started Yakuza 0 a couple days ago and I fell in love with it about 10 minutes in haha

Oh, I love the Yakuza games. I played Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 3, so far. And I loved each of them. I'm on a 2 week vacation now. But when I am back home, the first thing I'll do, is downloading Yakuza Kiwami 2. Part 4 and 5 are also on my backlog.

• Like 1

Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall

knife-of-dunwall-featured-image.png

• Played on Hard
  • Took me 7h to finish
  • Was included in Dishonored: Definitive Edition

This is quite substantial DLC. I did basically everything and got 7h out of it, not bad.

You play as Daud, one of the antagonists of the main game. They really fleshed out his character in this expansion and were right to do so as I thought he came a bit short in the base game, despite his key role in the story.

Mechanically not that much has changed, although Daud has some slight variatons in movement and the ability to summon one of his assassins in combat.

A nice idea that I ultimately failed to use since it does not contribute to my stealthy playstyle.

The story is mostly a part one for the second DLC expansion The Brigmore Witches, though not in a bad way. Everything evolves naturally and logically so that it never feels like a mere set up.

Level design is of the same quality as the base game even if 2 out of the 4 missions lack some of the possibilities and are a little forgetable.

I'd give Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall a 7/10

Played on Xbox One X

J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caju_94 said:

I don't know if I will wait to get AC3 for the Vita o

Ac3 liberation for the Vita is just a spin-off. It is not part of the Desmond storyline. You will have to play AC3 on the PS3. But for me, this is the worst AC title. I can't recommend it. 

@Caju_94

3 minutes ago, Moosbert said:

Ac3 liberation for the Vita is just a spin-off. It is not part of the Desmond storyline. You will have to play AC3 on the PS3.

True that, So you either have to check if PS Now supports it or wait for a remaster.

and

2 minutes ago, Moosbert said:

But for me, this is the worst AC title. I can't recommend it. 

Neither can I. This game is horrible.

Well, I heard very good opinions and very bad critics about AC3. I don't have a PS3, so I guess that I will probably skip to Black Flag and eventually read or watch the AC3 story to know what really happenned to Desmond. So I guess I'll get Black Flag next after I finish some of my backlog games (I already have Freedom Cry from PS Plus waiting to be played after AC4).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Great to hear you got some game time down, how was your weekend?

I'm doing great on my games! I started Yakuza 0 a couple days ago and I fell in love with it about 10 minutes in haha.

Still haven't started State of Decay, but if I ever will, you will be the first to know xD.

My weekend has been alright thanks, how's your's been? I'm back at work tomorrow, but only for a day and then I'm off for another 3 so Crash 2 will be done for next weekend...hopefully :D

I NEED to start the Yakuza series as it looks right up my alley in terms of genre and gameplay!

Get it started dude! ?

On another note though, I've decided to only get one game in September and that Shadow of the Tomb Raider as I can't wait for that game! The other's can either wait until Christmas or another time really. Now how's that for discipline ?! Trimmed it down from 5 to 1!

Edited by AshestoAshes28
  • Like 2

Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches

large.jpg

• Played on Hard
  • Took me 4h to finish
  • Was included in Dishonored: Definitive Edition

The concluding piece of software for Dishonored pulls out all tricks to bid a grand farewell.

The story continues right where it left off which gave the hole thing a quality feel from the get-go. Presentation is amped up and everything seems more important and dramatic, especially knowing the fate of certain characters having played the main game.

Admirably the interactivity within the levels got a boost as well. There are street riots between fighting gangs, bigger npc routines, more enemy variety, disguised security systems...

This expansion feels a bit like The Old Hunters did to Bloodborne. In taking what made the base game great,  condensing it and giving it its own spin, it could be just as good as the base game if not more exciting. A shame then that they didn't walk the extra mile as the indirect kills are not nearly as great as they were in Dishonored's main campaign and as a result of that everything feels a bit more linear.

While I had wished for a better final boss fight The Brigmore Witches makes up for that with a great ending that the original story so sorely missed

Mechanically nothing changes since you're paying the same character.

When all is said and done I had more fun with The Brigmore Witches than the previous DLC, but I also felt the presence of greatness that was ever so slightly out of reach.

I'd give Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches a 7/10

Played on Xbox One X

J

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Finished the story!

Lc44084.png

I bought Life Goes On: Done To Death a bit over a year ago, and wasn't really charmed by it back then. Stoped playjng after barely finishing one world. Decided to start up the game again a day or two ago and I really enjoyed it now.

Life Goes On is a puzzle platformer with a twist: you NEED to die. And use your corpse to get through the level.

(Seeing as how often @MosesRockefeller dies in platforming, this game should be a piece of cake for him ;))

I enjoyed the puzzles, they require a big of thinking but the answer is never out of reach, the levels aren't too long and there's quite a bit of fun in there, with new puzzle parts every so often so it doesn't get too repetitive.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I actually have this game on my backlog already. Your comments have piqued my curiosity.

19 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I actually have this game on my backlog already. Your comments have piqued my curiosity.

No link necessary, I know that quote ;)

Foghorn Leghorn is one of my favourites. I realise that the "I resemble that remark" line is older, but him saying it was the first time I heard it.

Well if you already have it, by all means try it. It's just four worlds, with little under twenty levels per world, so the game should give you a good idea if you like it or not in a pretty short time of playing it. One playthrough will probably not take you longer than an hour or five.