Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

On ‎25‎.‎08‎.‎2018 at 10:33 AM, AshestoAshes28 said:

I have a question though, do games that have been gifted to you count towards your points being used? As my mum brought me a Nintendo eShop Card yesterday as she saw on HotDeals that Hollow Knight was £7.25 in a sale and she treated me to it.

First things first: Great update!

As for gifts, I usually say it's ok as long as you don't only get ''gifts'' all the time (We had someone who got like 12 games 'as a gift' at once. :rolleyes:). That would defeat the purpose the whole event.

I myself dip into minus points from time to time but I try extra hard to recover when that happens which equals more finished games. And that is a win for me.

As is so often in live, everything in moderation is the key ;).

-----------

12 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

I haven't seen a sequel improve this much on the original since Assassin's Creed II.

Well, that is some praise you spelled out there. Now I'm even more excited for these games! Can't wait to start the trilogy one day.

-----------

12 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

We'll see how it works out though! xD These things never go as planned...

That's true xD Still, I wish you some nice gaming time and I'm eager to read your updates!

-----------

5 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Assassin's Creed II

I think the Assassin's Creed games are very hard to play in backwards order, they seem to age really poorly and extremly fast at that.

All the more reason to congratulate you on completing it!

J

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, AshestoAshes28 said:

Well guys, I did it! I completed/platted the whole Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy!1f601.png 

So without counting the first game, as I had already started that before I signed up to this event, I have finished two games for a total of two points! Only need one more point before I can buy a new game :). I'll update my original post now along with my digital games with it.

I have a question though, do games that have been gifted to you count towards your points being used? As my mum brought me a Nintendo eShop Card yesterday as she saw on HotDeals that Hollow Knight was £7.25 in a sale and she treated me to it.

Hectic! nicely done. I really need to get back into those.

For me I haven't even touched my PS4 for a while, sorry guys :P I'm glad I saved up a few points for Spiderman because I think that will get me back into the PS4 I just needed a break

On 8/25/2018 at 1:33 AM, AshestoAshes28 said:

It's kind of up to you I think. I know some people don't count them as any points, but I count gifts as -1 point instead of -3. Mainly because while you didn't pay for it, it is adding to the backlog, and the point of the event is to get rid of the backlog. So I think that there should be at least 1 game out for it. To sort of balance it out.

22 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Well, that is some praise you spelled out there. Now I'm even more excited for these games! Can't wait to start the trilogy one day.

Then start them already! :)

This is my opinion on both Banner Saga 1-2 and Assassin's Creed I-II:

I liked the first game enough to immediately buy the second one, even though the game was not without flaws - repetitive gameplay especially. With the second game, gameplay was streamlined a bit and there was much more variation, as well as a more evolving story. After finishing the second game, I'm immediately diving into the third game because I want to play more. I'm glad I waited until more games were available in this franchise, if it was just the first game when I started playing then I might have forgotten about it by the time the sequel arrived.

3 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

It's kind of up to you I think. I know some people don't count them as any points, but I count gifts as -1 point instead of -3. Mainly because while you didn't pay for it, it is adding to the backlog, and the point of the event is to get rid of the backlog. So I think that there should be at least 1 game out for it. To sort of balance it out.

I see the event as trying not to buy stuff until I've worked on my backlog. Gaming gifts are completely hypothetical to me, but when I manage to trade one game for another without paying extra I see it as not a bought game. Even better, as I couldn't have done the trade if I hadn't worked through another game I had.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

I see the event as trying not to buy stuff until I've worked on my backlog. Gaming gifts are completely hypothetical to me, but when I manage to trade one game for another without paying extra I see it as not a bought game. Even better, as I couldn't have done the trade if I hadn't worked through another game I had.

Whatever works for you, but I know I cant do that. If I did, my backlog would never go down. For example, recently I traded in 3 games and bought 5 with the money from them. So I have to count any bought game, trade in or otherwise, as a full 3 points. Because otherwise, my backlog would never get smaller. It's just too easily abuseable, and I don't see the point in participating if my backlog doesn't go down. My only exceptions are gifts, because I cant control what's given to me. Especially when it comes to stuff like birthdays and Christmas. And free games, like from PS+, because I cant control what is given out.

8 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Whatever works for you, but I know I cant do that. If I did, my backlog would never go down. For example, recently I traded in 3 games and bought 5 with the money from them. So I have to count any bought game, trade in or otherwise, as a full 3 points. Because otherwise, my backlog would never get smaller. It's just too easily abuseable, and I don't see the point in participating if my backlog doesn't go down. My only exceptions are gifts, because I cant control what's given to me. Especially when it comes to stuff like birthdays and Christmas. And free games, like from PS+, because I cant control what is given out.

That's still a conscious choice to spend money you gained - I'm talking about a direct trade with someone game for game. Yeah in your case, I'd have it count it all too.

Finished all regular (and clip) puzzles!

Picross-S2_07-25-18.jpg

Finished all regular puzzles today, as well as the clip puzzles. Got a couple of mega puzzles left to do but since all mega puzzles outcomes are the same as regular puzzles, I'm going to call that what's left until I 100% the game (if I do them without hints, which I've done for every other puzzle in both this game and the previous one).

45 hours of fun puzzles for €9. Not bad.

I've actually bought a lot of these Switch puzzle games. I'm glad that with the Switch also being a handheld, these kind of games are coming over from the (3)DS side of things.

Edited by Ash Williams
  • Like 1

Finished the main game!

L761f4e.png

Got the DLC too but I'll do that at a later point.

The game was less interesting than I thought. It's pretty decent, and compelling at points, but it didn't make me feel as much as say, Unravel or INSIDE did. Its puzzles are not too hard, and the main appeal is the setting.

• Like 1

Update time again:

I started Bombing Busters and I'm really having a blast with it, however it's not really a game I can run through and seeing I want to finish off quite some games before the end of the promotion this one isn't going to be my priority even though I do play some levels from time to time just because I like it!

I also got a couple of trophies from Brawlhalla, again not a priority game at the moment but always nice to do some battling.

And I started (and finished):

L322d8a.png

Even if this game has a lot of bad critics, I enjoyed it, the key is to not expect to much from the game so you don't get disappointed. It's a fairly easy game and you don't need a guide or whatever to run through it, the puzzles are easy enough and even the stealth zones are short and not that hard. And if you die, well you just reload the last checkpoint, there are more than enough of those.

So that's my 14th finished game for the event, I'm going strong at the moment.

8 days left before the end of the promotion and still 7 games needed to finish, it's going to be a close call!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, Ash Williams said:

That's still a conscious choice to spend money you gained - I'm talking about a direct trade with someone game for game. Yeah in your case, I'd have it count it all too.

I don't really see a difference between going in to trade in games I've beaten with the purpose to get credit and buy games I haven't beaten, and trading a game you've beaten for one you haven't. Either way you're trading games you've beaten for games you haven't beaten. Either way, real money isn't involved, and either way you're adding new games to the backlog. Whatever works for you, but I couldn't do that. Seems like a loophole that defeats the purpose of having to beat 3 games to add a new one. My backlog would never get smaller.

On 28/08/2018 at 10:13 PM, Ash Williams said:

Finished all regular (and clip) puzzles!

Picross-S2_07-25-18.jpg

Finished the final puzzles in mega mode, so I've 100%ed the game!

I've made a purchase: The Messenger, which releases on the Switch.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-messenger

It's an action-platformer that's getting great reviews now. It's devs who don't use 8-bit as an excuse to deliver easy ugly graphics, the game looks and sounds great, and I've been interested in it the moment they revealed the game has some form of switching between 8-bit and 16-bit (turned out later, this is some form of time travel).

Since I've put down a first payment for the collector's editions of Valkyria Chronicles 4 and HITMAN 2, I'm counting those as bought now, just so I don't over-buy later.

Seeing as I want to get Super Mario Party and Smash Bros. Ultimate on release, might still want Red Dead Redemption II and since I'm thinking about getting Unravel Two to play with the missus, I'd better get cracking on my backlog.

4 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I don't really see a difference between going in to trade in games I've beaten with the purpose to get credit and buy games I haven't beaten, and trading a game you've beaten for one you haven't. Either way you're trading games you've beaten for games you haven't beaten. Either way, real money isn't involved, and either way you're adding new games to the backlog. Whatever works for you, but I couldn't do that. Seems like a loophole that defeats the purpose of having to beat 3 games to add a new one. My backlog would never get smaller.

Again, it's not about the direct size of my backlog for me,but rather about spending money when I still have enough unfinished games left.

In my eyes there's a pretty big difference between trading a game with another person (no money/credit is gained, and I generally get more for my game than when I trade it for store credit), and trading a game in a shop for cash or store credit and buying new games with that credit. Could've used that credit for other things, like shirts or other merchandise.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:16 PM, Ash Williams said:

Again, it's not about the direct size of my backlog for me,but rather about spending money when I still have enough unfinished games left.

In my eyes there's a pretty big difference between trading a game with another person (no money/credit is gained, and I generally get more for my game than when I trade it for store credit), and trading a game in a shop for cash or store credit and buying new games with that credit. Could've used that credit for other things, like shirts or other merchandise.

Like I've said, whatever works for you. To me, trading a game for another game, is trading a game for another game. Whether it be trading with a friend or through a credit system. I'm not saying you have to agree with me, I'm just saying that I don't see a difference, so I don't do my list that way. For me, it's about getting rid of the backlog. Because to me, having unplayed games means wasted money.

Anyway, finished up Resident Evil Revelations 2, The Walking Dead Season 2, and Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town this week. Don't have a whole lot to say about them though.

RER2 was okay. It wasnt as good as the first one, but it wasnt especially bad.

TWD was also okay. Some of the game felt weirdly forced, especially the last episode, but overall I enjoyed it. Apparently, since i don't have internet, I didn't get the trophies for anything except Episode 1, but oh well. 

Friends of Mineral Town is probably my second favorite in the series now. It took a lot of what made 64 so good, and improved a little bit on it. The translation was hilariously bad, and having to wait to get 1 appliance a week in order to get married was really annoying.

Still slowly working on FFX-2... I'm hoping getting the last dressphere and getting all of the crimson spheres will finally get me to 100% so I can see the true ending and finally remove it. If not, I may just give up and remove it without getting any points. I'm already on my 3rd playthrough, and I'm getting kind of tired of it. 

Another one done:

Lf66796.png

Doodle Kingdom

What was supposed to be yet another fast doodle game became a nightmare, let me explain why:

As expected Doodle Kingdom started off a lot like the other doodle games and so the main game was finished up pretty quickly, but they added more modes to this one, each with there trophies to obtain. The challenges mode was more of the same so no problem but the 'my hero' mode...

I can imagine how they decided to add this mode:

Developer A: So people buy our games to get easy trophies, we should give them a hard time

Developer B: Yeah, let's create a mode they will hate!

A: I have an idea, let's make a mode where your hero just runs idle and kills enemies automatically, and make the gamer just watch it for a long time, let's say we give them a trophy for killing 300 enemies that way

B: great, oh and let's add some treasure chests they need to click on, a trophy for 500 treasure chests opened perhaps?

A: Brilliant, oh and to make it last forever let's make a trophy for going on for 20000 meters.

B: Haha that'll teach them to laugh at our games, and we can even make it worse, let's make it so that the hero stops running from time to time, if we introduce bosses we can do that, make it so that they are very rare, not more than 1 boss per hour on average, and have them kill 30 of them to get a trophy.

And so this game became by far the worst game ever, this hero mode just makes you watch a boring game for a very long time and from time to time (at best once per hour on average) you need to interact with it to keep going.

At least it's done, let's never talk about this game again!

• Like 1

Rather extensive update for the end of August for me.

Completed all 5 Episodes for Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse, HiQ, Sound Shapes for Vita, Pooyoos Ep2 and Dead Synchronicity

Also finished Gem Smashers and Persian Nights for games bought after Backlog.

So currently at 34 games and a boosted Completion rate of 0.60% since the middle of August.

@Paleblood I think I've been unintentionally using Trophy Hunter Mode but it seems to work so far.

Edited by Psy-Tychist
  • Like 2

Finally a game that gave exactly what I expected from it:

L65af9f.png

Easy platinum this, but I'll take it :)

good for my 80th platinum trophy and my 16th game finished for this event, only 2 more and I'll be able to buy that Jak and Daxter collection, and 5 more if I want Titanfall 2 also, but I'm afraid I won't make it in time.

I've decided to not go into the minus, if I allow myself to do that then what's the point of this event? Either I get enough games done or I won't get to buy new games, that's it!

• Like 1

Hi, back from vacation and time for a little update. Unfortunatley I didn't finish anything during the last 2 weeks. I put 12 hours into Hyperdimension Neptunia on my Vita and cleared 3 chapters. Still 6 chapters to go. But I'm not sure if I will finish it. I'm not so excited about the game.

I invested my 6 points into Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Detroit: Become Human, so I am down at 0 again. I started Yakuza 2 and I love it. No Neptunia until Yakuza is finished!

Another question: How do you handle games from XBox Game Pass or PS Now? How do you add them to your backlog? And how do you count them as finished?

Haven't finished anything since my last post. I've had a few days off so I've been walking and playing Qwixx with the missus. I played a bit of Banner Saga 3 and a whole bunch of The Messenger, but I'm not close to finishing on either.

Might go for a couple of short games this week just to get a quick win in.

And I got another one done:

L652796.png

It's a telltale game so always an easy platinum, the story was good, I liked it. Too bad that you have to replay some sections to get all the collectibles because replaying a story you already know the outcome from is a bit uninteresting, but with chapter select that went pretty fast so it wasn't really a problem.

Well that's my 17th game done for the event, and I've got only 1 more to go before I can buy that Jak and Daxter collection, with 2 days left I think I should be able to make it :)

You remember how I said that I would take a break from studying for a week or so and try to finish a few small games off my list? Whelp, so far so good! I finished the story mode of LBP3 and only plan to get a few more trophies for that one and I 100%ed Rain over the long weekend! Great, little game worth playing since it came with PS Plus. The game plays a lot like ICO, except that your partner isn't a moron and actually helps, errr, I mean not Yorda. It's like a 2.5 hour game if you don't skip cutscenes, so it's not really very time consuming. Definitely breaks up the JRPGness that is Mugen Souls Z. xD

That makes 18 games down. Still hoping to get to 20 by next Monday!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 9:50 AM, Paleblood said:

First things first: Great update!

As for gifts, I usually say it's ok as long as you don't only get ''gifts'' all the time (We had someone who got like 12 games 'as a gift' at once. :rolleyes:). That would defeat the purpose the whole event.

I myself dip into minus points from time to time but I try extra hard to recover when that happens which equals more finished games. And that is a win for me.

As is so often in live, everything in moderation is the key ;).

Firstly, sorry for leaving my reply for so long. Work has been hectic and I'm only now having a few days off to play and chat!

Thank you for reading my update! I'm really proud of those Crash plats! :D 

As for the gifts I think what I'll do is, if it's okay, just limit myself to one gift a month, if I get any. :) But this month I've had two gifts (Hollow Knight and The Adventure Pals) as work messed up my pay...again, but those will be the last ones that I get for a while.

So I've got two points so far which is good! I've nearly finished Mafia 2 as I've just got all of those Wanted Posters to collect and I've so far got around 30/152, so I got a fair few to get still. Then I've got the DLC to finish but those shouldn't take too long, hopefully. Oh, I've FINALLY :P updated my main Original Post so all of my digital and physical games are in there now! And I've also done a kind of Event History on my main post as well to sort of like a diary detailing my progress and points, so you guys can look at it and so can I then.

Oh, I've also traded in a ton of my PS3 games which was actually a tricky thing for me to do as I don't really like selling/trading my games and also no ones really buying them anymore to be honest. I've not given myself any points for that as they were mainly games that I didn't see myself playing or platting.

Anyway, that's it for me! I'll update again when I've finished Mafia 2!

P.S I've just noticed that I'm not in the Participants Section :( Could you add me in please? :) 

Edited by AshestoAshes28

Finished the story!

L02bae6.png

Decided to finish a short game today. I only got halfway through the first world when I tried Nihilumbra for a bit, played through the rest of the game in one sitting.

Decent platformer with some original gameplay. Nothing too hard until you unlock Void Mode.

I also bought the DLC for Never Alone, planning on playing that with the missus.

Okay, on to Banner Saga 3, L.A. Noire and The Messenger again!

Before having my friend over to get drunk together this evening I finally managed to finish:

L35245f.png

The random trophies were pretty easy and not to much of a challenge, however that speedrun took me 5 tries to get it done, but I finally managed to get the game done in 58 minutes just in time to be able to get me the Jak & Daxter collection, seeing that promotion ended at 1 am. This means that even though I finished my 18th game for this event I'm back at 0 points because I used 12 points to buy that collection. 

I'll update my original post tomorrow, right now I'm just to drunk :P 

Goodnight everybody and let the trophy hunting and backlog slaying continue for everyone!

Edit: After some sleep the world turns a bit less and it's easier to write something down :)

Last night my ex-girlfriend asked me how much money I spend on games lately (before buying that Jak & Dexter collection), I was proud to be able to tell her that since we are separated I only bought 1 game because of this topic, I told her I joined a group which is like going to AA meetings to get my impulsive game buying under control, so thanks for creating this event!

The new promotion has me interested in 1 game, so the hunt continues, I've got 2 weeks to get 3 games done to be able to buy that one, seeing how I've knocked off games lately that shouldn't be that much of a challenge! 

I've also updated my original post striking out Hohokum and adding the new games, it's a bit sad to see that eventhough I'm doing great work knocking off games my backlog is still growing because off PS+

Edited by Fredoline05
  • Like 1