Don't upgrade your cars...

BEAST_IHMOTEP

Am I the only one who noticed this? Specially in the latest cars of the game.... I race with a car I like, I decide to invest some spheres in order to get better results. Then the damn thing starts to be uncontrollable. I feel like they're too fast and not heavy enough so you end up flying in the air in every little drift you do, crashing with all the walls and races getting so chaotic. I end up getting better results with low profile cars.

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh my goodness this game is shit! I wouldn't have even started it if I'd known how bad it was. I'll just get the odd hour a day in if I can even manage that as its a chore to play and will be an even bigger chore to finish it. 

One question I have it how the hell do select the cars view!? It randomly changes the view when starting a race from the view of your car being in front of you to a shit view of nothing as if you are looking from the steering wheel and it's even more uplayable. There is no control instruction option anywhere in the shit game and after trying every button I'm at a loss. 

• 1 year later...

Hey there everyone :)

I have now finished the game and I can confirm that the car handling becomes rather unstable when you're upgrading the stats too much. 

What I did was to to upgrade gearbox and acceleration so that I had three upgrades less than the maximum amount for each. Going higher than this actually caused controls to go wonky. 

You can of course fully upgrade armor and the other stat, I think it was capacity. 

Greetings from Germany! 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/16/2018 at 2:11 PM, LunchCannon54 said:

The game is a lot more difficult than I remember. The AI is ruthless but they're just as ruthless to each other so you can generally get back as the races are quite long. Wish they would fix the frame rate if they haven't already, even though I won't be going back to it. 

Pretty sure there's rubber banding + shoot you right before the finishing line. Really bad AI.

Edited by MMDE

• 6 months later...
On 2018-03-30 at 6:23 AM, douchebro said:

armor is the the most vital thing to upgrade in order lower your chances to get crashed. you at least upgrade that 

If you invest in some basic upgrades like this, will you still have enough orbs at the end of the game (500kish) to buy all the upgrades the way the guide suggests?

Based on how the guide is worded, I got the impression it was not recommended to upgrade anything AT ALL, otherwise you may get stuck having to do some grinding.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) remember approximately how many orbs you finished the game with? Thanks. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ImMagnetz said:

261d.pngBeen wondering the same thing. Haven't upgraded anything yet.

Well if you suck as much as I do, I can confirm you’ll have more than enough orbs?

The guide said you should finish the game with roughly 500k orbs. I’m only on the Blue Eco cup and already have about 400k orbs without buying anything yet.. If you’re anything like me you’ll end up redoing the circuit races multiple times due to all the bullshit and rubberbanding that happens in the last 10 seconds of every race. So I wouldn’t sweat spending a few orbs here and there on armour upgrades. 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 7:56 AM, dieselmanchild said:

Do you (or anyone else reading this) remember approximately how many orbs you finished the game with? Thanks. 1f642.png

According to my trophy screenshots I finished the game with 630,000 orbs + however many orbs it costs to unlock Hero mode. I’m pretty sure I didn’t bother with any upgrades besides upgrading one of the cars for the race where you don’t have access to any of your weapons.

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Well if you suck as much as I do, I can confirm you’ll have more than enough orbs1f62b.png

Lmao! That made me chuckle. That's always how I look at it when I lose a race. "Oh well, at least I made some orbs." I'm waiting to see how much tougher things will get later on but, honestly, I've actually really been enjoying the game so far and, not to toot my own horn, I think I've been doing pretty well at it. Famous last words but we shall see.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ImMagnetz said:

Lmao! That made me chuckle. That's always how I look at it when I lose a race. "Oh well, at least I made some orbs." I'm waiting to see how much tougher things will get later on but, honestly, I've actually really been enjoying the game so far and, not to toot my own horn, I think I've been doing pretty well at it. Famous last words but we shall see.

For the most part the difficulty seems pretty consistent throughout, most of it is due to factors out of your control and the extremely shitty handling of many of the cars. Luck seems to be a far bigger factor than skill in this game. I’m finding it pretty easy to obtain gold in most events first try, but the circuit races are another story. It’s very frustrating to maintain 1st place for the majority of the race, o ly to get rubbed out with the finish line in sight.

I just finished the Blue Eco Grand Prix and the sewer level in round 1 was a pain in the ass though, it’s probably the windiest track by far so your corner handling needs to be on point. And the first race of the Yellow Eco has your weapons disabled so I’m sure getting gold on that one is going to be a real good time. I’m going to come back to that one later and use my excess orbs to max out one of the speedy cars I think.

8 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Luck seems to be a far bigger factor than skill in this game.

From my experience so far, I'd say skill would be the bigger factor than luck but I do know what you mean, luck definitely plays a sizeable part as well which can be frustrating. I mean, last night, I was in first for a solid chunk of time only to be hit by an unblockable supernova right at the finish line. That was annoying but I couldn't be too mad because, in an earlier race, I was in third coming up to the finish line, the dude in second took out the dude in first right before he could finish, then I zoomed past the dude in second (now first) with my boost and won. I'm sure if those were real people they'd be calling major bullshit there. I'd say the game mode that has me swearing under my breath the most so far is the Rush Hour mode. So frustrating when you have to hit into cars to score points but they sometimes knock you off-balance and even spin you out. I haven't found the circuit races to be too bad so far. It is a little irritating that you can literally be in first, cruising along, then you get hit with a supernova and you're suddenly back in sixth, but it seems like, no matter what happens, you're never too far behind the other racers and they're never too behind you. I think that does keep things quite exciting.

2 hours ago, ImMagnetz said:

From my experience so far, I'd say skill would be the bigger factor than luck but I do know what you mean, luck definitely plays a sizeable part as well which can be frustrating. I mean, last night, I was in first for a solid chunk of time only to be hit by an unblockable supernova right at the finish line. That was annoying but I couldn't be too mad because, in an earlier race, I was in third coming up to the finish line, the dude in second took out the dude in first right before he could finish, then I zoomed past the dude in second (now first) with my boost and won. I'm sure if those were real people they'd be calling major bullshit there. I'd say the game mode that has me swearing under my breath the most so far is the Rush Hour mode. So frustrating when you have to hit into cars to score points but they sometimes knock you off-balance and even spin you out. I haven't found the circuit races to be too bad so far. It is a little irritating that you can literally be in first, cruising along, then you get hit with a supernova and you're suddenly back in sixth, but it seems like, no matter what happens, you're never too far behind the other racers and they're never too behind you. I think that does keep things quite exciting.

Rush hour is one of the easiest modes IMO. Use a big car like the Boomer with fully upgraded armour and it’s a cinch. I prefer the rush hour and death race events because they’re really easy to gold on, the ones driving me nuts are the circuit races and occasionally the artifact races or death matches. Luck is too big of a factor in those modes. With the latter modes though, I learned early on to restart the race within 30 seconds or so if you don’t get favourable spawns at the start. If you do get a head start with some luck spawns, winning is quite easy, but if you get behind or spawn on the opposite side of the map it’s unlikely you’ll catch up.

The real fun begins when you get to the Haven City tracks on the Yellow Eco Cup. The winding, twisting waterworks and sewer tracks is some of the most rage inducing bullshit!! You have to master the drifting and boosting mechanics, but with how unstable and unresponsive the cars can be it always feels like an uphill battle. The tiniest mistake will send you careening into the wall or spinning out and facing the opposite direction, and once you lose your advantage the race is pretty much lost. 

I was looking around for some advice on these tracks and watched a few videos, and it seems for most players the gold medal comes down to sheer luck. It’s very hard to stay ahead of the pack, so ideally you want to get a supernova right near the last few turns that will catapult you to first place.

I’m hoping to finish this game today because I’ve had enough at this point lol. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Rush hour is one of the easiest modes IMO. Use a big car like the Boomer with fully upgraded armour and it’s a cinch. I prefer the rush hour and death race events because they’re really easy to gold on, the ones driving me nuts are the circuit races and occasionally the artifact races or death matches. Luck is too big of a factor in those modes. With the latter modes though, I learned early on to restart the race within 30 seconds or so if you don’t get favourable spawns at the start. If you do get a head start with some luck spawns, winning is quite easy, but if you get behind or spawn on the opposite side of the map it’s unlikely you’ll catch up.

The real fun begins when you get to the Haven City tracks on the Yellow Eco Cup. The winding, twisting waterworks and sewer tracks is some of the most rage inducing bullshit!! You have to master the drifting and boosting mechanics, but with how unstable and unresponsive the cars can be it always feels like an uphill battle. The tiniest mistake will send you careening into the wall or spinning out and facing the opposite direction, and once you lose your advantage the race is pretty much lost. 

I was looking around for some advice on these tracks and watched a few videos, and it seems for most players the gold medal comes down to sheer luck. It’s very hard to stay ahead of the pack, so ideally you want to get a supernova right near the last few turns that will catapult you to first place.

I’m hoping to finish this game today because I’ve had enough at this point lol. 1f602.png

Rush Hour just gets on my tits tbh. It's so frustrating getting bopped around each time you hit a car and sometimes spinning out. I have been using my most armoured vehicle but I should maybe invest in upgrading a little. I haven't done that yet. I'm a little apprehensive though because I don't wanna upgrade and then the game unlocks a better car for you and then your orbs were kind of wasted. I do like the death races but it can get a little frustrating when the dummy cars zoom too far ahead of you and you have to spend time boosting to catch up. I'm fine with deathmatches usually but I'm not a huge fan of the artefact races. It can be difficult to see where they heck they are. The arrows on the side of the screen are unreliable so you have to try and look for the beams of light going up to the sky, but you can't always see those as there are buildings blocking them or whatever. I actually find that it's always quite easy to catch up if you get behind. Just use your boost and weapons. Just have to hope that you don't get behind too close to the finish line. Oh man, not looking forward to the Yellow Eco Cup then, yikes. I'm pretty good at boosting but not the best at drifting. Best of luck with finishing it, man. Hopefully I won't be too far behind you and we'll both have a shiny new well-earned platinum.

29 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

Rush Hour just gets on my tits tbh. It's so frustrating getting bopped around each time you hit a car and sometimes spinning out. I have been using my most armoured vehicle but I should maybe invest in upgrading a little. I haven't done that yet. I'm a little apprehensive though because I don't wanna upgrade and then the game unlocks a better car for you and then your orbs were kind of wasted. I do like the death races but it can get a little frustrating when the dummy cars zoom too far ahead of you and you have to spend time boosting to catch up. I'm fine with deathmatches usually but I'm not a huge fan of the artefact races. It can be difficult to see where they heck they are. The arrows on the side of the screen are unreliable so you have to try and look for the beams of light going up to the sky, but you can't always see those as there are buildings blocking them or whatever. I actually find that it's always quite easy to catch up if you get behind. Just use your boost and weapons. Just have to hope that you don't get behind too close to the finish line. Oh man, not looking forward to the Yellow Eco Cup then, yikes. I'm pretty good at boosting but not the best at drifting. Best of luck with finishing it, man. Hopefully I won't be too far behind you and we'll both have a shiny new well-earned platinum.

The one plus with Rush Hour is that the oncoming cars swerve directly into your path. So I’ve found the trick is to find those long, straight stretches and use your turbo boost, and just zig zag ever so slightly and you’ll rack up huge combos. You can explode once in awhile from the impact of the cars, but it becomes a non-issue once you upgrade your armour to full.

Death Races are pretty easy too because you are only focused on one thing, and you have so much more control over the final outcome. They get a bit trickier later on though when the requirements become much tighter. I’ve found the machine gun to be bloody useless unless you’re literally riding the ass of the car in front of you, so you have to maintain a constant boost. The problem here is that the controls begin to suck... You have to keep your index finger on R1 and your middle finger on R2 throughout the entire race which is just awkward. But you get bonus multipliers with every new lap, so try to race to lap 2+ ASAP and you’ll rack up more points for your kills.

As for upgrading your cars, the game does force you to use new cars in the 2nd and 3rd cups so I wouldn’t waste too many orbs upgrading. I’d recommend upgrading a good car like the Javelin X eventually though, as it’s pretty much mandatory to win some of the Yellow Eco Cup races. I tried repeatedly, but they seem pretty much impossible to win without fully upgraded engine and turbo at the least. Once I fully upgraded I managed to secure gold on some of the harder tracks.

The Javelin X is a pretty great car too. Even with full upgrades, it handles better than most of the cars in the game as long as you’re not on a super windy track like the Sewers. It’s worth the orb investment, just wait until you’re nearing the end of the game so you know how many orbs you can afford to spend. Good luck! ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

The one plus with Rush Hour is that the oncoming cars swerve directly into your path. So I’ve found the trick is to find those long, straight stretches and use your turbo boost, and just zig zag ever so slightly and you’ll rack up huge combos. You can explode once in awhile from the impact of the cars, but it becomes a non-issue once you upgrade your armour to full.

Death Races are pretty easy too because you are only focused on one thing, and you have so much more control over the final outcome. They get a bit trickier later on though when the requirements become much tighter. I’ve found the machine gun to be bloody useless unless you’re literally riding the ass of the car in front of you, so you have to maintain a constant boost. The problem here is that the controls begin to suck... You have to keep your index finger on R1 and your middle finger on R2 throughout the entire race which is just awkward. But you get bonus multipliers with every new lap, so try to race to lap 2+ ASAP and you’ll rack up more points for your kills.

As for upgrading your cars, the game does force you to use new cars in the 2nd and 3rd cups so I wouldn’t waste too many orbs upgrading. I’d recommend upgrading a good car like the Javelin X eventually though, as it’s pretty much mandatory to win some of the Yellow Eco Cup races. I tried repeatedly, but they seem pretty much impossible to win without fully upgraded engine and turbo at the least. Once I fully upgraded I managed to secure gold on some of the harder tracks.

The Javelin X is a pretty great car too. Even with full upgrades, it handles better than most of the cars in the game as long as you’re not on a super windy track like the Sewers. It’s worth the orb investment, just wait until you’re nearing the end of the game so you know how many orbs you can afford to spend. Good luck! 1f44d.png

Agreed on the Rush Hour, I do like waiting for a nice straight bit and then slamming on the boost. I actually got fortunate one time in Rush Hour that each car that exploded bopped me over into the path of the next car. Got a solid double figure kill combo there for pretty much just holding down the X button.

I have had to do the "index finger on R1, middle finger on R2" in a few races and yeah, it feels really awkward. That's a good tip about zooming through to the later laps for more points. I knew there was a higher multiplier in the later laps but it never really occurred to me to try and get to those laps quicker.

So if you've fully upgraded the Javelin X, I assume you haven't noticed any issues that others have talked about in this thread with fully upgraded cars becoming harder to handle and whatnot? It's 500,000+ orbs you need to end up with to do the save file thing described in the guide, isn't it?

On 2020-12-08 at 5:32 PM, ImMagnetz said:

So if you've fully upgraded the Javelin X, I assume you haven't noticed any issues that others have talked about in this thread with fully upgraded cars becoming harder to handle and whatnot? It's 500,000+ orbs you need to end up with to do the save file thing described in the guide, isn't it?

I know you’ve finished the game now (congrats by the way ?) but I figured I’d reply to this for anyone else who is browsing this thread in the future.

If you have to upgrade a car for the Yellow Eco Cup races, which you almost certainly will, I’d highly, highly recommend the Javelin X. Just like every other car, it does get more unstable to drive as you upgrade the engine, gearbox, and turbo, but I found it to be minimally so. I don’t know whether it’s just a heavier car and so you have less chance of flipping or spinning out, but compared to a lot of the other cars in the game the handling is actually quite excellent.

For comparison, I believe the Havoc v12 is the fastest car in the game. But if you tried to drive it you’ll know it’s a nightmare to handle even at it’s base settings. With full upgrades it would require incredible skill to drive effectively.

But while the Javelin X is comparable in speed when fully upgraded, but the handling is miles better. I found it to be the perfect car to win some of the harder races in the Yellow Cup, such as the one where your weapons are disabled or the Grand Prix.

Good luck to anyone else trying to plat this shit. You’re gonna need it. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I know you’ve finished the game now (congrats by the way 1f60a.png) but I figured I’d reply to this for anyone else who is browsing this thread in the future.

If you have to upgrade a car for the Yellow Eco Cup races, which you almost certainly will, I’d highly, highly recommend the Javelin X. Just like every other car, it does get more unstable to drive as you upgrade the engine, gearbox, and turbo, but I found it to be minimally so. I don’t know whether it’s just a heavier car and so you have less chance of flipping or spinning out, but compared to a lot of the other cars in the game the handling is actually quite excellent.

For comparison, I believe the Havoc v12 is the fastest car in the game. But if you tried to drive it you’ll know it’s a nightmare to handle even at it’s base settings. With full upgrades it would require incredible skill to drive effectively.

But while the Javelin X is comparable in speed when fully upgraded, but the handling is miles better. I found it to be the perfect car to win some of the harder races in the Yellow Cup, such as the one where your weapons are disabled or the Grand Prix.

Good luck to anyone else trying to plat this shit. You’re gonna need it. 1f44d.png

Yeah, I fully upgraded the Javelin X as soon as I got it and it saw me through the rest of the game. It was crazy to try and drive it at first because it was so fast and difficult to control but I quickly got used to it. I still ended the game with more than enough orbs as well. Overall, while there were definitely some moments that were incredibly frustrating (I don't think I've used the phrase "fucking bullshit" under my breath so much in my life), I actually had a lot of fun with this game. It was a good challenge.

• 2 years later...
On 10/12/2020 at 11:56 PM, dieselmanchild said:

Making a note of this.

Edit: Turbo is safe to upgrade right?

Edited by bikeman223

6 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

The Javelin X is very good for regular races but gets knocked about too much in Rush Hour races. What is the best car to use for those?

It’s been quite awhile since I did this so my memory fails me, but I believe some of the bulkier cars are the way to go for the rush hour races. I think there was one called the Boomer or something?