My distaste for popular music...

AJ_Radio

I think nearly every album has at least one good song.

There's plenty of music that I don't like... but I've been know to give some songs a bad shake because they are too "mainstream" or whatever... but then end up really liking them in the end (Taylor Swift...). I also like lots of pop music redone in metal or punk... or acoustic piano/guitar. Pretty nice stuff out there.

I think you should take a listen to Eric Hutchinson. I really liked his first three albums. The fourth one is not my cup of tea.

But he's fantastic live should you ever get the chance:

I understand everyone has their own tastes and will say "This is real music", but personally I really don't get it when people say Nicki Minaj is real music, when compared to say Metallica, Trivium, While She Sleeps or Killswitch Engage (In terms of lyrics). You take any lyrics from one of Nicki's songs, for instance:

"Let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me
Wanna be in demand, get booked like me
Wanna run up in the lab and cook like me

But ain't nan you hoes pussy good like me
Pussy so good his ex wanna still fight me

Face so pretty bitches wish they could slice me
She just mad 'cause he never bought her ice like me

I cut all my niggas off, but they would still wife me (still wife me)"

and compare it to any metal/metalcore band, most songs are written from personal experiences and actually have meaning. Yeah, I get it, to some people it might just sound like screaming, and I can see why some people don't like it, but with most mainstream pop "artists" these days paving the way of music with their music and lyrics, it really does make me cringe and shake my head in embarrassment. Personally, artists going the right way about paving pop music? Bruno Mars is really a good one, Justin Timberlake is quite good, don't mind a bit of Rhianna, and off the top of my head that's all I think of atm. Paving Metal? Definitely While She Sleeps, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, The Ghost Inside, Killswicth Engage and many more. By no means am I hating on anyone that listens to any type of music, as I have friends that listen to a wide range of music, but it's just not for me. Just thought I'd put my opinion on here.

Aside from my usual Metal listening, I like a lot of Don Broco if anyone hasn't heard of them before. And I like a lot of 80's and 90's music being grown up with it as a kid.

My band released our debut EP back in October if anyone is interested in listening: 

https://www.facebook.com/HyperionBandUK/

Edited by SamS7398

5 hours ago, SamS7398 said:

I understand everyone has their own tastes and will say "This is real music", but personally I really don't get it when people say Nicki Minaj is real music, when compared to say Metallica, Trivium, While She Sleeps or Killswitch Engage (In terms of lyrics). You take any lyrics from one of Nicki's songs, for instance:

"Let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me
Wanna be in demand, get booked like me
Wanna run up in the lab and cook like me

But ain't nan you hoes pussy good like me
Pussy so good his ex wanna still fight me

Face so pretty bitches wish they could slice me
She just mad 'cause he never bought her ice like me

I cut all my niggas off, but they would still wife me (still wife me)"

and compare it to any metal/metalcore band, most songs are written from personal experiences and actually have meaning. Yeah, I get it, to some people it might just sound like screaming, and I can see why some people don't like it, but with most mainstream pop "artists" these days paving the way of music with their music and lyrics, it really does make me cringe and shake my head in embarrassment. Personally, artists going the right way about paving pop music? Bruno Mars is really a good one, Justin Timberlake is quite good, don't mind a bit of Rhianna, and off the top of my head that's all I think of atm. Paving Metal? Definitely While She Sleeps, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, The Ghost Inside, Killswicth Engage and many more. By no means am I hating on anyone that listens to any type of music, as I have friends that listen to a wide range of music, but it's just not for me. Just thought I'd put my opinion on here.

Aside from my usual Metal listening, I like a lot of Don Broco if anyone hasn't heard of them before. And I like a lot of 80's and 90's music being grown up with it as a kid.

My band released our debut EP back in October if anyone is interested in listening: 

https://www.facebook.com/HyperionBandUK/

Admit it... this whole post is for you to shamelessly plug your band.

26 minutes ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Admit it... this whole post is for you to shamelessly plug your band.

Not really. What the OP said is something I've thought about before. Don't get salty. Just thought if anyone was interested in hearing it they can, I mean, we've got to try and get the name out somehow?

Music changes over time like all other things, it's inevitable and twenty years from now we'll have a new generation looking back nostalgically on the Beiber, Minaj, Swift, ect music of yesteryears so I don't really like to play the "things were better back in the day" thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, majob said:

Music changes over time like all other things, it's inevitable and twenty years from now we'll have a new generation looking back nostalgically on the Beiber, Minaj, Swift, ect music of yesteryears so I don't really like to play the "things were better back in the day" thing.

this. Keep in mind OP is generalizing everybody. Personally, I fucking hate Taylor Swift , and majority of Bieber's catalog is meh. Nicki Minaj is great. Its like they pick the most obvious candidates. What's funny people keep using Nicki Minaj and I fucking know they haven't been listening to the radio lately - Nicki Minaj has not dropped an album since 2014. She has had very little radio presence over the past 4 years.

9 minutes ago, SamS7398 said:

Not really. What the OP said is something I've thought about before. Don't get salty. Just thought if anyone was interested in hearing it they can, I mean, we've got to try and get the name out somehow?

Yes it is :^) and also...about those nicki minaj lyrics. once again, its fucking nitpicking. I'm pretty sure there are Nicki Minaj songs with emotion and nitpicking, as well there is metal songs with no fucking meaning whatsoever.  The lyrics you're quoting are also fairly new... so I am sure you pretty much searched up the latest Nicki Minaj song to prove a point without any actual context. ??

Just now, WorldsBestSpy said:

Yes it is :^) and also...about those nicki minaj lyrics. once again, its fucking nitpicking. I'm pretty sure there are Nicki Minaj songs with emotion and nitpicking, as well there is metal songs with no fucking meaning whatsoever.  The lyrics you're quoting are also fairly new... so I am sure you pretty much searched up the latest Nicki Minaj song to prove a point without any actual context. 1f602.png1f602.png

How do you think bands try to make it in the industry? They post online, they give out free CDs, they share their music online, they interact with fans.? I'm just trying to get the music out, whether you like it or not it's totally fine, I get that. I don't expect you to like it? (Plus OP mentioned about anyone using Spotify to post bands on here so I shared mine). As for metal having no meaning whatsoever in some songs, yes I agree, I'm not gonna argue with that. Personally, I'm not fond of Nicki's music that's all, so don't go all defensive because you like, because if you didn't like a band that I did... I wouldn't care?

6 minutes ago, SamS7398 said:

How do you think bands try to make it in the industry? They post online, they give out free CDs, they share their music online, they interact with fans.1f602.png I'm just trying to get the music out, whether you like it or not it's totally fine, I get that. I don't expect you to like it1f601.png (Plus OP mentioned about anyone using Spotify to post bands on here so I shared mine). As for metal having no meaning whatsoever in some songs, yes I agree, I'm not gonna argue with that. Personally, I'm not fond of Nicki's music that's all, so don't go all defensive because you like, because if you didn't like a band that I did... I wouldn't care1f602.png

I'm getting defensive because I am tired of these 30sumthins always dismissing hip hop as meaningless, while rock is seen as the end all to all music.. like forreal, rock is dead. As much as I do love rock, its dead.

And I get the promotion of your band. So I listened to it, I don't like it at all, just sounds a shittier Attack Attack! with the first song being okay at best, but you still gotta give it up to ya, you are promoting it. Though its already old news, in May. 

Just now, WorldsBestSpy said:

I'm getting defensive because I am tired of these 30sumthins always dismissing hip hop as meaningless, while rock is seen as the end all to all music.. like forreal, rock is dead. As much as I do love rock, its dead.

And I get the promotion of your band. So I listened to it, I don't like it at all, just sounds a shittier Attack Attack! with the first song being okay at best, but you still gotta give it up to ya, you are promoting it. Though its already old news, in May. 

Well I'm in my twenties so..? Rock is seen as it's dying out, but there's loads of bands out there, it just takes the right band to fill the spaces of those who were there to begin with. 

And thanks for your feedback. It's not for you, I'm cool with that. It's not old news though if no one has heard it. Bands got to constantly promote their music if they want to make it out there, hence me sharing the music... Gaining one fan is a big deal when you are just starting out.

1 minute ago, SamS7398 said:

Well I'm in my twenties so..1f914.png Rock is seen as it's dying out, but there's loads of bands out there, it just takes the right band to fill the spaces of those who were there to begin with. 

And thanks for your feedback. It's not for you, I'm cool with that. It's not old news though if no one has heard it. Bands got to constantly promote their music if they want to make it out there, hence me sharing the music... Gaining one fan is a big deal when you are just starting out.

I feel bad now.. I'm sorry I am a harsh critic. Next time you drop a project... don't hesistate to send me a link.

mainstream TV is $hit...mainstream fashion is $hit...mainstream movies are $hit...mainstream food?...$hit...mainstream video games?...$hit...mainstream everything?...$hit, $hit, and more $hit...i'm guessing if this thread was created 50 years ago or in 50 years it wouldn't really be all that different from this epic one aside from a few names swapped here and there...

that being said, I love music but have no idea who the modern(?) artists that are being criticized in the op are...i agree that since the '90s many facets of popular culture have changed...gotta say though, I love the mainstream music industry...why?...well, partly due to the birth of the internet being used to promote music almost every genre has seen the creation of a sub genre which i'll refer to as "underground" or "independent" for convenience...the initial message was often "f**k the mainstream, we can do music better" but that kind of got boring after a few years and gave birth to a whole new class of artists far superior in talent and creativity to much of what we have seen to date whether it be instrumental or electronic based...

the worse the "quality" of the mainstream gets, the better the underground seems to get, the more special it becomes, and the more it would seem artists work their a$$es off to produce unique, quality music...so I say please, bring on this supposed $hitty mainstream and let it degrade as much as possible...without it, I don't know if we'd have the range of music available to us today...and god bless the internet for allowing access to all the independent artist's hard work...would never have stumble upon this gem of an artist... 

p.s. not knocking on music of old times...it's great too...the point is more that there's great music in every generation...mainstream or not makes no difference...

p.p.s. I'm a 30-something-year-old and love the hip hop scene and most other styles of music...i'm also very happy that we don't need to spend hours listening to the radio, watching music tv, or sampling cds at HMV anymore to find quality artists...so easy to avoid the mainstream if you don't like it...why waste time on hating it (15 years?) when you could spend that time promoting and sharing the music you love?...speaking of which, I just found out bela fleck will be at the jazzfest this year...gonna be epic...book your tickets now...haha...

7 hours ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

I like your posts man, but rock is not dead

Guns N Roses sold roughly $400million in ticket sales with their latest, “Not in this lifetime” tour

Metallica is still doing sold out stadium shows all over the world with their latest “WorldWired” tour

for todays hip hop, im sorry but its utter trash

im a metal head through and through but i listen to a wide range of genres including hip hop

i take that back, old school hip hop because that's where its at

today, if you wanna make it big, all you need is some stupid gimic, like dying your hair purple, get a bunch of Atrocious face tattoos, make a whack ass beat on your garageband app, say nigga 45 times while yelling on the track and upload that  crap to youtube, oh and dont forget to have everyone from your neighborhood in the video, and you can call yourself whatever you want, just make sure you start it with “LIL”..and POW, instant success, you dont even have to be good

shit even that little girl from the doctor phil show is doing it and shes pure talentless

i would do it myself but i have these things called dignity and pride, self respect

Edited by Property_Damage
  • Like 1

man, do you people even understand music like at all?  I mean, come on.  Who gives a shit if the person writes their own songs or not, who cares if they're in it to make money (probably not, being a full time musician is a ton of work and it's usually done from passion).  To call any of these people talentless is just flat out wrong, it's not even an opinion at this point.  You can like them or dislike them all day but there is no denying the talent.  Just try to go out and start your own band, group, get a deal, whatever, without any talent and see how far you get.  Looks alone won't do it, trust me, I know.

Music is a lot of different things for a lot of different people, I used to be into punk back when punk was still punk 80's/90's and swore off anything and everything else.  I felt like music was some sort of competition and the more hardcore or underground punk I listened to, the more punk I was.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  I'm 36 today and still listen to all my old punk albums, I also listen to Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Janis Joplin, Cyndi Lauper, Cher, Beastie Boys, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Weezer, Nirvana, Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac, Johnny Cash, Q and not U, Page 99, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Pavement, Godspeed you Black Emperor, Caroliner, Stevie Nicks, First Aid Kit, Aerosmith, Green Day, Pink Floyd, Exuma, Metallica, Silver Jews, Six Organs of Admittance, Aerial M, Will Oldham, Charlie Daniels Band, 2 Pac, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Common, Mos Def, Saul Williams, Cake, The Flamming Lips, Modest Mouse, Led Zepplin, Jefferson Airplane, etc

I could keep going.  

I listen to all of this because It makes me happy, or sad, or excited, or whatever.  That's what music does for me, all kinds, all day.  

Edited by angelgrievous
spelling.
  • Like 3

The reason I made this topic is because I feel there is a general lack of anything truly substantial. Mainstream music today is basically a wasteland of who can reach the Top 40, rather than showing that you truly care for your music. 

The 1990s is one of my favorite eras in music because it brought about a new sound that is still celebrated to this day. Grunge. Kurt Cobain came along and defined an entire generation of music. I consider Nirvana’s Nevermind album to be a masterpiece. Terrific album from start to finish. Not one song I felt was bad or mediocre. How many albums these days are good start to finish? None, because I literally can’t think of any.

Hip Hop evolved significantly in the early 90s. Tupac Shakur did to gangster rap what Kurt Cobain did to grunge music in rock. Both guys defined an entire generation of music. People today still wear Nirvana and 2Pac t-shirts because they both left a lasting impression. 

In the 2010s, I haven’t seen anything like that. This entire decade has mostly been all indie/underground. The mainstream scene today is a complete disgrace compared to what we used to get. 

Even Britney Spears, N’Sync and Backstreet Boys in the late 1990s had a lot more talent going for them than the pop acts you see today. As for rock, I don’t hear any mainstay act pulling out a decent guitar solo. Guitar solos were a big thing in rock music, usually to break up the bits where the rock singers sing and perform. But today those mainstays lack the range and ability to really pull off their talents. 

I don’t listen to radio anymore since I consider Spotify and other such platforms to be far superior. But I have to listen to radio in other places. Namely when I’m out and about. And it’s usually a guy who can’t sing, strums the same three chords, and someone who picked up a guitar because they well, wanted to make music. The good stuff on the radio for me for the most part is the old classics from decades past that have been played one billion times. 

I still listen to Nirvana and 2Pac because their music still sounds good. I can’t say that for today’s mainstay acts. 

There are definitely some good indie bands out there and it’s a shame a number of them have been mostly pushed to the side. Good looks with auto tune will get you through. I cannot stand auto tune. Why auto tune is still around I don’t know, but it’s shit. Artists who strictly use auto tune should of been one hit wonders. Not continue to sell millions and millions of records. Maybe because the general public has forgotten what good music sounds like. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don’t listen to radio anymore since I consider Spotify and other such platforms to be far superior. But I have to listen to radio in other places. Namely when I’m out and about...

you created a thread to $hit on the mainstream because the music that plays when you're out and about bothers you?...wow...

as I mentioned earlier I don't actually know any of the music listed as being bad in the op but here's an interesting tidbit...one of my very good friends is a bass player...he's an incredibly talented musician and several years ago was in a band with equally talented musicians...his guitar player left the band since one of his connections offered him a spot playing for, you guessed it, Justin Bieber...despite being able to pull off incredibly complex riffs or solos I'm guessing he was probably just strumming some pretty simple chords...he went where the money was and who can blame him...

all of the musicians I know are trying to make a living with music and I don't think any of them would turn down a big contract...some sell out and make big money...some are kind of forced to play in cover bands if they want to earn enough to make ends meet since that's what's hip at bars/clubs/weddings/etc....some stick to their principles and just make music they love that they think should be heard, promote themselves, win local music contests, etc. and most of these end up needing a 2nd job as they hope to make a connection that puts them in the big leagues...the industry isn't really about raw talent and hasn't been for quite some time now...it's a combination of things like talent, creativity, who you know, who you blow, etc...

something interesting to ponder : if led zeppelin or pink floyd (insert band that you feel represents you) still existed and released an album today, I wonder how many people in their 30s - 70s would pick it up vs 10 - 29 year-olds...and what would happen if it sounded like the mainstream music we hear today?...who would be more likely to listen to it?...i don't have an answer to this...

music is not the same as before and I think people would be more pi$$ed if bands were still strumming power chords like nirvana (pick your band) or crooning like ella fitzgerald, calling them unoriginal...times change...music changes...some people refuse to change with the times...some embrace change whether they like it or not...nothing new here...

if music is popular and you don't like it, it's very likely it wasn't made for you or you didn't feel it represented you...no reason to hate it and waste energy analyzing it to death while reminiscing such a cliché “the good 'ol days were so much better" that's almost expected of people over 40 (apparently some start whining at 30 now)...just jive to something else and promote it instead, no?...

If you don't think talent is noticed here's an example of popular talent...she's one of my current favourite jazz musicians...world renowned...her last album hit #1 on the us billboards...the perfect balance of beauty, creativity, mad skillz, and being in the right place at the right time... 

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, ProfBambam55 said:

you created a thread to $hit on the mainstream because the music that plays when you're out and about bothers you?...wow...

as I mentioned earlier I don't actually know any of the music listed as being bad in the op but here's an interesting tidbit...one of my very good friends is a bass player...he's an incredibly talented musician and several years ago was in a band with equally talented musicians...his guitar player left the band since one of his connections offered him a spot playing for, you guessed it, Justin Bieber...despite being able to pull off incredibly complex riffs or solos I'm guessing he was probably just strumming some pretty simple chords...he went where the money was and who can blame him...

all of the musicians I know are trying to make a living with music and I don't think any of them would turn down a big contract...some sell out and make big money...some are kind of forced to play in cover bands if they want to earn enough to make ends meet since that's what's hip at bars/clubs/weddings/etc....some stick to their principles and just make music they love that they think should be heard, promote themselves, win local music contests, etc. and most of these end up needing a 2nd job as they hope to make a connection that puts them in the big leagues...the industry isn't really about raw talent and hasn't been for quite some time now...it's a combination of things like talent, creativity, who you know, who you blow, etc...

something interesting to ponder : if led zeppelin or pink floyd (insert band that you feel represents you) still existed and released an album today, I wonder how many people in their 30s - 70s would pick it up vs 10 - 29 year-olds...and what would happen if it sounded like the mainstream music we hear today?...who would be more likely to listen to it?...i don't have an answer to this...

music is not the same as before and I think people would be more pi$$ed if bands were still strumming power chords like nirvana (pick your band) or crooning like ella fitzgerald, calling them unoriginal...times change...music changes...some people refuse to change with the times...some embrace change whether they like it or not...nothing new here...

if music is popular and you don't like it, it's very likely it wasn't made for you or you didn't feel it represented you...no reason to hate it and waste energy analyzing it to death while reminiscing such a cliché “the good 'ol days were so much better" that's almost expected of people over 40 (apparently some start whining at 30 now)...just jive to something else and promote it instead, no?...

If you don't think talent is noticed here's an example of popular talent...she's one of my current favourite jazz musicians...world renowned...her last album hit #1 on the us billboards...the perfect balance of beauty, creativity, mad skillz, and being in the right place at the right time...

Personally I would all in for Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, because they by and large outperform the vast majority of today's mainstream rock acts, or cock rock as I think of it.

The interview with Chad Kroeger last summer pretty much confirmed my feelings for the band Nickelback. They suck, Kroeger himself is a piece of shit, and quite frankly they don't deserve to be called musically diverse. Especially when it's the same sort of music played over and over.

I want someone who can take the reins and start a whole new generation of music that we can look back on and say "Wow, what they did was truly phenomenal". So far this decade it's mostly been the underground/indie scene, everyone is out for themselves, rather than standing up and being inspired to the band that set the standards. Like the Beatles in the 1960s, the Sex Pistols in the 1970s, Metallica in the 1980s, and Nirvana in the 1990s.

Some people think underground/indie is relatively new, that has always been around. There were plenty of underground bands back in the 1960s through the 1990s and early 2000s who produced good music. They just didn't do as well in sales because obviously they weren't mainstream. Mainstream will always sell more, regardless of how vapid and talentless it seems.

Pop music especially in the last decade has been more so on building a star who sports the good looks rather than their singing talent. Justin Bieber I don't need to explain, but I honestly haven't seen too many who I can look back to and say they were truly good.

Albums don't sell well anymore, because everything turned over to the internet. I don't mind this so much, but I definitely noticed that we favor the singles much more than the albums themselves. We may have a thousand artists on our playlists with only one song to their name, and I feel this in turn has made a lot of bands out there make that one catchy song so it gains some exposure. Nobody really gives a shit about albums especially when it's so easy to download music illegally or simply have that song on your Spotify.

As I am fully aware of, music is extremely subjective. What is good to one might be crap to another.

Music is extremly subjective and such a personal thing. You cannot control what kind of music you like, so I always found it kinda stupid to say that someone ''has the best taste in music''.

As for the ones saying ''I only listen to music of the 70's'' or ''only 90's and earlier'', with the assumption that everything was better and music just is not good anymore:

Have you guys ever actually tried to go in a retro music store and just pick whatever artists from the 70's? I have, and it's almost always terrible. Of course it's easy to say 70's or whatever was the best era for rock for example. But you just get the impression because everthing you hear nowadays from that time is basically only the very best that got filtered out in decades. Of course it has it's own style, but such is the spice of life. You don't want music to stagnate if you truly love it.

People will have the same argument over Hip Hop and Rap in 2030, heck they do today, but I think you get my point.

And one punchline I wanna get out there is: You are not special because you listen to people that do special things. You are just amazed by special things. And that does not make you better or cooler that anyone.

That's taste in music in a nutshell tbh.

Edited by Stardew Shelly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stardew Shelly said:

Music is extremly subjective and such a personal thing. You cannot control what kind of music you like, so I always found it kinda stupid to say that someone ''has the best taste in music''.

And for everyone that says ''I only listen to music of the 70's'' or ''only 90's and earlier'', with the assumption that everything was better and music just is not good anymore:

Have you guys ever actually tried to go in a retro music store and just pick whatever artists from the 70's? I have, and it's almost always terrible. Of course it's easy to say 70's or whatever was the best era for rock for example. But you just get the impression because everthing you hear nowadays from that time is basically only the very best that got filtered out in decades. Of course it has it's own style, but such is the spice of life. You don't want music to stagnate if you truly love it.

People will have the same argument over Hip Hop and Rap in 2030, heck they do today, but I think you get my point.

And one punchline I wanna get out there is: You are not special because you listen to people that do special things. You are just amazed by special things. And that does not make you better or cooler that anyone.

That's taste in music in a nutshell tbh.

What you should of said is you cannot control what others like in music. You however can control what kind of music you like.

I enjoy the classics. I grew up listening to my old dad's albums and was exposed to a lot of 1970s and 1980s music. My appreciation for Metallica, AC/DC, Megadeth, Guns n' Roses and ZZ Top is deeper than some fans out there. I have all the respect in the world for these old guys that are still active like The Rolling Stones. Easily one of the all time greats in rock music and it puts a smile to my face that they are still around.

I was also exposed to stuff from MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. Both guys were heavily ridiculed for their style and were considered shallow and gimmicky in the music industry. Despite this, I still enjoy some of their music. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice is a song I still listen to every now and then.

To me, in my mind, regardless of how many people back then criticized MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice, I still think their music was far superior to stuff that Selena Gomez and Kesha have put out.

I'm not asking for what was considered the 'norm' in regards to what was more widely accepted to return, like racism. Racism especially then was terrible and I will never wish on anyone to experience that kind of treatment. Racism was a big issue in the 1960s, when Martin Luther King Jr did his very best to give African Americans and minorities a better life for the future. The music of that time, especially the late 1960s was a reflection of that. The underground scene was bursting with raw talent, which is something I feel is largely missing today.

Anyone is free to listen to whatever music they feel like. I have recently gotten into Folk Music, Bluegrass and some Blues here and there. In my opinion these genres take and borrow more from the older artists. There is talent out there, but these guys aren't generating the big hits as the stuff that hits the radio, or anything that happens to be trending.

Nobody can tell me that Justin Bieber possesses any sort of real talent, and he is a big part of the reason why I don't take mainstream pop that seriously anymore. That's how I see things. Pink Floyd will always be superior to the current music Nickelback is making, or the slew of rock bands who make what I call 'sissy rock'.

That's just my train of thought. If you're someone who doesn't appreciate music that much, there is always something you will end up listening to and enjoying.

Edited by Spaz

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

What you should of said is you cannot control what others like in music. You however can control what kind of music you like.

Could you elaborate how exactly? Because I like what I like, not much I can do about that. Sure, I can listen to songs/albums more often and with more thought and can discover something I find meaning in but still, that has to be something I am fond of in the first place, knowingly or not.

For example I HATE Death/Black Metal. With every fiber of my being. Listening to this genre I would almost discribe as physical pain for me. Not judging btw, you guys listen to what you like, no need for arguments here.

However, I am not able to like this music, in other words, no, I cannot control what kind of music I like.

• Like 1