Trophy Hunting Technique - What's Your Strategy?

Bullstomp

Trophy Hunting Technique - How do you manage your trophy hunting?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. What is your personal strategy in regards to going after trophies?

• Play just one game until you have knocked out the Platinum and/or 100% for it
    • Play multiple games at once, trying for the Platinum in each based on your rotations difficulty
    • Play a game and if you like it play to Platinum, if the interest isn't there drop it in backlog and come back to it . . .eventually
    • Just play, if a Platinum happens great. If not, I could care less
    • Other - Please specify below

I usually play one sp game and maybe boost/play one mp game on the side when friends are online to play it with. I'll stick with that one sp game until I plat it and I'll try for 100% if the dlc isn't too expensive. I am somewhat of a completionist, but I find that what drives to get all the trophies in a game is more about getting all that I paid for. That goes double for dlc, so I'll eventually get to Uncharted 2 and 3... :ninja:

• Like 2

I have a few ways I go about it.

If it's a game that requires multiple play throughs the first one is for fun. Some times I'll jump right into the second play through and sometimes I wait.

If it's a game that can be done in one play through I use a guide from the beginning and get it done in one play through.

If it's a game I am absolutely loving I'll play it untill plat no matter what. (infamous 2 and Saints row the third are 2 good examples for me)

Some times I'll play 2 or 3 games and see which one grabs me and then that is the one i'll concentrate on.

All these ways have worked for me one time or another.

Where is the google save file for certain game and unlock platinum in seconds option :P

Seriously I am all over the map, sometimes I will play a game 3 times in a row (3d dot game heroes) and other times I will beat it and come back to it after several months-year to plat it (god of war 1 and 3)

Play a game and if you like it play to Platinum, if the interest isn't there drop it in backlog and come back to it . . .eventually - sounds about right - time is too rare to loose it doing something I don't really want to be doing - that's what chores are there for :)

What kind of strategy do you employ when going after trophys?

Great thread topic :yay: :yay:

I'm not able to hit trophy hunting very hard because I have a pretty demanding job. I'm proud of my Platinum trophies though and I do have a method which helps me decide whether i want to go for 100% / Plat completion in a game. It can also go towards helping me decide whether I want to get the DLC / Season Pass or not.

[step 1: Play the game]

Play through the natural flow of the game through to completion where possible.

[step 2: Research the trophy list]

Using sites like PS3Trophies.org and of course this wonderful site, I'll take a look at what sort of trophy requirements there are etc. I pay attention to very specific things like:

[step 3: Make the decision]

After weighing up everything I'll decide whether I want to go for the Platinum or not.The following are the points that I consider to help me make my decision.

Multiplayer

- Weigh up my love of the game against how much time is required to earn the MP trophies.  

- Are the MP servers stable? Will their instability frustrate me?  

- Will I need to wait for a long time to get into a game because there are hardly any people around?  

- Will I need to organize a boosting session of some kind?

Long Time Commitment Requirements

- Weigh up my love of the game against how long some of the trophies will take to obtain.  

- What are the requirements of the long term trophies?  

- How many hours per day on average will I need to put in?  

- Will the trophies require a large amount of grinding or repetitiveness? 

Glitched Trophies

- Are there any glitched trophies?  

- Will there be a chance that if I put the work into earning one, that it might never pop as a result?  

- How many glitched/bugged trophies are there?  

- Are there any potential workarounds or things to watch out for to help avoid it happening?

Edited by Captain_Cutscene
  • Like 3

I pay games because I enjoy them.

If I get trophies, great. If, not, it isn't the end of the world.

Sorry in advance to everyone, but I don't really see the point of trophy hunting.

You don't get anything for it (other than bragging rights / satisfaction).

Although, having said that, I am open minded and am willing to change my mind about it.

I have several games on my list with only a few trophies obtained so, if anyone can give me a good reason to start trophy hunting, I might go back and try to get some more.

Whatever you do, enjoy gaming :)

I started off not really bothering with plats hence my low completion percentage and endless amounts of big fat 0's!!!!

Now i tend to adopt a policy of 1 new game and several old ones i return to for improvement, there are certain games i will not return to purely because they are awful!!

I agree completely with Captain_Cutscene here. I'm currently following the same process: play it naturally, then consult the trophy list, and then decide considering exactly the same (multiplayer, time and glitches).

I didn't used to care at all about platinums, but being here in the forums with so many trophy hunters has affected me a bit haha. It's also great to see that you've done everything possible inside the game. However, besides from not being as professional as some of you, I only aim for the platinum when I really like the game and enjoy it.

And also, I don't focus at 100% in one game just to platinum it, or at least haven't done it until now. However, right now I'm a bit committed to a certain list of trophies that I've made in order to reach my 1.000th milestone with... a very special platinum for me :P

Edited by Playsonic2
  • Like 2

I tend to play multiple games at the same. That lasts until I fall in love with a game and can't pull myself away from it. This happened with Tomb Raider, and GoW: Ascension quickly fell of my radar even though I was trying to play them simultaneously. If I'm close to a plat when I finish the game, I try to work for it right away. But normally, I don't plat a game until a few months after I initially beat it. 

• Like 1

Play a game and if you like it play to Platinum, if the interest isn't there drop it in backlog and come back to it . . .eventually.

Also, I make a checklist of all the trophies in a game, put it in piece of paper. I sorted it out from the most common to most rare trophies. Then when I play, I check my checklist for my goals.

If im not sure on how to achieve a certain trophy, I watched it on youtube. haha. :lol: