Random facts thread

Beyondthegrave07

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Rufian said:

Did you know that Vitamin D3 is rat poison?

I still don't.

Did you know that the children's author Roald Dahl wrote the script for the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"...

...and the author of the James Bond novels, Ian Fleming, wrote the children's book "Chitty Chatty Bang Bang"?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In case of a nuclear war between powerful nations, the safest place would be in the southest part of the world, specially Argentina and New Zealand.

Considering I live in one of those, I'll keep psnp alive so don't worry.

I'll also jump to the top of the leaderboards by default (finally!)

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Haha 2

Did you know that there is an island called Ilha da Queimada Grande off the coast of Brazil that is so heavily infested with snakes that you need special permission from the government to set foot on it?

• Like 1

Did you know "achieving fluency" in two languages practically programs your brain? Meaning your brain is understanding what you're trying to do, and actually makes it easier to comprehend and get a grip on foreign languages much easier and faster than other individuals.

Edited by Yukiko Miyamoto

• 3 weeks later...

German is the native language of more than 20 percent of EU citizens, making it the most widely spoken native language in the EU (Becasue of the 84 millions residents in Germany + Switzerland and Austria). In addition, more than 10 percent of Europeans speak German as a foreign language, which means that more than 30 percent of EU citizens speak German. Besides that there are thirty-five dialects of the German language.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 4:49 AM, vsvpl1501 said:

German is the native language of more than 20 percent of EU citizens, making it the most widely spoken native language in the EU (Becasue of the 84 millions residents in Germany + Switzerland and Austria). In addition, more than 10 percent of Europeans speak German as a foreign language, which means that more than 30 percent of EU citizens speak German. Besides that there are thirty-five dialects of the German language.

I had no idea there were so many dialects in the German language. Pretty cool!

Here’s a strange one…

Giraffes are 30 times more likely to be struck by lightning than humans.

spacer.png

While there are only a few documented cases of fatal lightning strikes on giraffes between 1996 and 2010, the species population of just 140,000 during that time accounts for roughly 0.003 lightning deaths per thousand giraffes each year. This is 30 times the equivalent fatality rate for humans.

• Like 1