ps vita - take or wait for a new one?

Hattori_ua

Go get one now, it’s a great handheld. 

I doubt Sony will make a true successor. They might make some soort of streaming handheld/accesory to accompany the PS5, but I doubt they’ll do more than that. I’d love a Vita 2 though.

It's about your last chance to get a Vita. I don't think many stores stock it anymore and it can be difficult to find physical games.

1 hour ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

Debatable. I can't think of any peripheral Nintendo have done that Sony hasn't done better. Even the Switch, which as underpowered as it is right now in comparison to this generations offerings, will look archaic by the time the PS5/Xbox Two come out.

It's easy to ride on the coattails of pioneers.

The Vita is a great system. I have an OG and a 2.0 version, so I have a backup if one of them dies. It has a great library and I play mine every day. Also, I love the Remote Play feature. It's not always great at playing games, but it's perfect for turning on the PS4 when I get home, launching a game, loading a save, and pausing the game when the TV is being used by the kids. Then after dinner, I have my game ready to unpause and play. That may not seem like much, but as a parent it's a great feature.

Don't count on new games (except some indies), and accept the fact that Sony has no plans for a Vita 2, and you can enjoy the Vita for what it is - a system that is dying out but has a great library.

The Switch is the current portable system, whether trophy hunters and people who hate Nintendo want to accept it or not. It's even started getting JRPGs, visual novels,  and other games that were once Sony exclusives (obviously not the first party Sony games though). No system is perfect of course, but the Switch shows what the Vita 2 could have been. Clickable sticks, L2/R2, and actual support from the manufacturer.

Anyway, I recommend getting a Vita (or two if you like the system!) now, while they're still being made.

I highly doubt there will be a vita successor, I say there's as low as a 1% chance since the vita didn't fare too well and the handheld console world seems to be dominated by Nintendo.

Only get the vita if there are enough games already out on the vita that you want to really play. Vita games are not cheap due to the fact that production of many has stopped, but if you are into visual novels, otome games, some jrpgs and PSP classic downloads like the older FF games etc. then you would get a lot of use out of it. 

But if not, better just go for the Switch or wait for the PS5 if you already have a PS4. 

• Like 1

Next one?? Newer model? I doubt it. It's not something that's or will be making Sony money. Only reason I gave Vita a chance was I stumbled onto a amazing deal for it or I wouldnt even consider otherwise. It's hard to split my gaming money between consoles since I like it all focused on one hence I don't own a box. If Sony ever released a handheld even if pricey but everything is crossbuy, Id pay for it. I see it as a addon for a console and to play away from home, but something standalone is more money sink personally to me that I couldnt afford.

If you are on the go a lot Id go for it, and get one. But also remember there will be no more vita games from psplus lineup after march i think, not that there was much goodness from it. But still...

On 1/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, alicexshy said:

Avoid the vita, that handheld console has been dead for years.Thinking about selling mine sometime soon. Better off getting a new 3DS even if you're not a fan of nintendo, it has much more potential than the vita ever had since launch. 

How much you want for your vita? 

On 1/24/2019 at 7:51 AM, DaikichiKawachi said:

Debatable. I can't think of any peripheral Nintendo have done that Sony hasn't done better. Even the Switch, which as underpowered as it is right now in comparison to this generations offerings, will look archaic by the time the PS5/Xbox Two come out.

Hasn't this gen taught you anything?  What's the most powerful system out there right now, console wise?  It's not the Switch, Vita, PS4...It's the fucking Xbox1.  How is the Xbox doing right now?  It's not power that gets people to buy systems, it's games and freedom.  Although, I'll never understand the appeal of Nintendont's IPs, they attract a wide demographic.  A shit fuck ton of people buy into their crappy rehashed, ancient IP's like a crack fiend to rocks.

Edited by Phil
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

How much you want for your vita? 

Hasn't this gen taught you anything?  What's the most powerful system out there right now, console wise?  It's not the Switch, Vita, PS4...It's the fucking Xbox1.  How is the Xbox doing right now?  It's not power that gets people to buy systems, it's games and freedom.  Although, I'll never understand the appeal of Nintendont's IPs, they attract a wide demographic.  A shit fuck ton of people buy into their crappy rehashed, ancient IP's like a crack fiend to rocks.

I'll take any "rehashed" nintendo IP over any annualized sports game, shooter, assassin's creed title. Probably most of the sony exclusives too

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I'll take any "rehashed" nintendo IP over any annualized sports game, shooter, assassin's creed title. Probably most of the sony exclusives too

Preaching to the chior here. I'm mostly an indie guy. I find Nintendo ips just as bad as EA, Activision, Bethesda, et al realeases though. To me, Mario should have been murdered by Wario decades ago.

I rarely play AAA games. The only series I keep coming back to is GoW since, other than Ascension, they've been stellar each time.

• Like 1

I recommend getting one. eBay has some great deals on psvita bundles. That's how I got mine -- I got one with a few games and a memory card, and it turned out to be ~$100. 

If you're really interested in multiplayer and online gameplay, then maybe not. I'm not a multiplayer/online gamer myself, but I can't imagine that crowd is as active as it used to be.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, Phil said:

I agree that games are what is most important and that is why the Xbox One is being spanked by their competition, but think about that. Nintendo have 4 system sellers. Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros and Pokémon and unless they take the unusual step of developing 2 titles this generation for their tent pole franchises, then they will have blown their load on all of them before PS5 and Xbox Two come out.

Now tell me who is going to be interested in purchasing a console that would not have looked out of place next to the PS3 and Xbox 360, to play ports of old games on when there is nothing of any consequence to look forward to? Mario Kart, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing etc. do not sell consoles. Look at their numbers.

I agree that games are what is most important and that is why the Xbox One is being spanked by their competition, but think about that. Nintendo have 4 system sellers. Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros and Pokémon and unless they take the unusual step of developing 2 titles this generation for their tent pole franchises, then they will have blown their load on all of them before PS5 and Xbox Two come out.

What about Splatoon, Xenoblade, Octopath, Mario + Rabbids? The history of gaming should show that a system benefits from having system sellers and games with less mainstream appeal. The Switch is bustling with great experiences that are, for now, only on Switch.  Try looking up the future release schedule of the Switch. They aren’t out of games just because what happened to Metroid 4.

Now tell me who is going to be interested in purchasing a console that would not have looked out of place next to the PS3 and Xbox 360, to play ports of old games on when there is nothing of any consequence to look forward to? Mario Kart, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing etc. do not sell consoles. Look at their numbers.

Every game doesn't need to be a system seller in order to justify the console or the game itself. Do you look at the numbers? Nintendo Switch games are normally in the top 10 on the monthly NPD charts. The Japanese sales tracker, Media Create, has Switch games dominating it every week. Sure it’s only Japan and the sales on NPD still don’t generally exceed mainstream flagship series like Madden and FIFA but it’s still way better than what you’re insinuating.

On 1/26/2019 at 6:25 AM, Phil said:

This is precisely the problem.

I have debated on getting a Switch but I may very well skip it entirely just like I did with the Wii U.

Nintendo is the only big company I know of that has pretty much stuck with their roots since you older guys were little kids begging your parents to let you play Donkey Kong in the arcades. But since 2006 or so those IPs haven't exactly evolved.

I was a huge Nintendo kid, in fact I was so much a fanboy that I spent hours on the internet praising Mario and Zelda like they were the gaming gods of the industry. To most of us, Nintendo was the shit. They were the shit when they kicked SEGA's ass to the curb. But that was 20 years ago.

It's sad, because so many of us clung to Nintendo as if it was our life blood. Nowadays they keep rehashing the same shit over and over. Shigeru Miyamoto is not the creative genius and role model he used to be. His time in the sun has faded, and now what you have left is a large group of Nintendo fanboys who refuse to think their favorite company is going down the shit hole.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:02 PM, Phil said:

Preaching to the chior here. I'm mostly an indie guy. I find Nintendo ips just as bad as EA, Activision, Bethesda, et al realeases though. To me, Mario should have been murdered by Wario decades ago.

I rarely play AAA games. The only series I keep coming back to is GoW since, other than Ascension, they've been stellar each time.

AAA games have to cater to the mainstream. They are no different from your average shitty Hollywood movie. They have to cater to the masses, and what the braindead masses want is a game that is streamlined and doesn't require you to think or plan ahead.

But if you're saying Mario should of been murdered by Wario decades ago, I have to disagree with you. Nintendo should of evolved the franchise moreso back when they were making Gamecube games. The franchise hasn't evolved that much since Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy compared to what we got before.

I still hold Super Mario 64 to be one of the greatest games of all time, without question. I cannot say the same for today's Nintendo lineup. It's mostly rehashing what was there a decade ago, just giving it a new layer of paint while trying to convince Nintendo fanboys that a lot of their games are still worth playing.

The latest Zelda game for the Switch surprised me a little. But it's certainly not the groundbreaking experience I had with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Nintendo hasn't evolved that much over the past few years, and just like with the Wii U, the Switch pretty much has to rely on it's exclusives if it's going to get any success in the video game industry.

Nintendo is no longer a proper competitor compared to the likes of Sony and Microsoft.

Edited by Spaz

On 1/24/2019 at 6:58 AM, cmdr_komo said:

ps vita
I think to take this console, and maybe a new version will be released soon? what thoughts?

ps 5, as I understand, will be released in 2020

The Vita is / was a really good gaming handheld. The chances of Sony creating a new one are 0, or infinitely near it. I doubt they're competent enough to create a winner anyway.

Looking at the games you played more you're not going to be very happy with one. There's lots of good Vita games, but except Minecraft, which is a dead duck on the Vita and PS3, perhaps it will be harder for you to find games you'll enjoy.

I still play it a lot, more than the Switch, we even have 3 Vitas. My kids are the opposite.

A good purchase in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cris3f said:

The Vita is / was a really good gaming handheld. The chances of Sony creating a new one are 0, or infinitely near it. I doubt they're competent enough to create a winner anyway.

Looking at the games you played more you're not going to be very happy with one. There's lots of good Vita games, but except Minecraft, which is a dead duck on the Vita and PS3, perhaps it will be harder for you to find games you'll enjoy.

I still play it a lot, more than the Switch, we even have 3 Vitas. My kids are the opposite.

It's definitely a worthwhile handheld. It's just a shame those memory cards are so expensive, I feel that is part of the reason why the Vita didn't do nearly as well as the PSP did.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I still hold Super Mario 64 to be one of the greatest games of all time, without question. I cannot say the same for today's Nintendo lineup. It's mostly rehashing what was there a decade ago, just giving it a new layer of paint while trying to convince Nintendo fanboys that a lot of their games are still worth playing.

The latest Zelda game for the Switch surprised me a little. But it's certainly not the groundbreaking experience I had with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Nintendo hasn't evolved that much over the past few years, and just like with the Wii U, the Switch pretty much has to rely on it's exclusives if it's going to get any success in the video game industry.

Nintendo is no longer a proper competitor compared to the likes of Sony and Microsoft.

Agreed, Super Mario 64 is one of the best games of all time.

Disagree, Nintendo still makes fantastic games, and usually they're fun and addictive for a long time. They still have that major advantage over Sony and Microsoft. There has been no groundbreaking experience from Sony or Microsoft in the last few years, not just Nintendo.

1 minute ago, cris3f said:

Agreed, Super Mario 64 is one of the best games of all time.

Disagree, Nintendo still makes fantastic games, and usually they're fun and addictive for a long time. They still have that major advantage over Sony and Microsoft. There has been no groundbreaking experience from Sony or Microsoft in the last few years, not just Nintendo.

I never said all of Nintendo's new library of games wasn't up to par.

But they're not really in a position to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has sort of been on their own since the Nintendo Wii. I still think the Wii and Wii U relied far too much on the motion sensor, that's why Wii Fit and Wii Sports did as well as they did.

I respect Nintendo for their dedication to the business, they have been doing it for nearly 40 years. That's not an easy accomplishment, that's a very long time to stick it out for that long. Atari and SEGA both failed and dropped out of the console business. Nintendo is the only old school player still around.

Of course, I'm talking some nostalgia here as the Nintendo 64 was a kickass console giving us such classics as Goldeneye 007 and the original Super Smash Bros.

Are you saying there has been no groundbreaking experience from Sony or Microsoft over the last few years? What about Uncharted 4? What about the latest Forza game?

On 27.01.2019 at 2:28 PM, DrHambone said:

@cmdr_komo So what's the verdict?

I will wait for ps5. But I still want a portable console in the sony ecosystem. I do not want ТNintendo, since for me the total library and achievements are important. I hope that there will be something instead of ps vita. Or maybe ps5 will have including a portable module ??

Edited by cmdr_komo

On 30.01.2019 at 5:27 AM, cris3f said:

Your opinion is very convincing, thank you for it.

Edited by cmdr_komo