Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights may come to PS4

dermarx

Strange - I'd much prefer the Dark Alliance series on PS4.

While the other games are superior, they are PC old-school RPG's based mainly on 2nd Edition D&D rules. The micro-managing, constant need to pause / unpause and point / click / drag style does not suit consoles well.

Edited by BOOTP

19 hours ago, SinisterPledge said:

"Progressive" and "problematic". My two most disliked words, frequently used to push political agendas nobody asked for. I don't get why they have to mess with that shit, just enhance/remake/remaster the games.

I played through the Baldur's Gate games as well as NN during my childhood, so I'd love to return to these old classics.

To be fair, from what I've read that content only got into Siege of Dragonspear, which is a new game that Beamdog developed from scratch. I haven't seen that any of the original games had dialog or character changes. I haven't played Dragonspear so I don't know how it all seems in game. Writing a new game is a very different thing from making changes to existing games.

I played all of these games (except Dragonspear) when they originally came out. I'm not sure I would still enjoy the gameplay now, and I also think it would be a tough job to get them to control well on consoles. I think the Switch, in handheld mode with the touchscreen, might work better than PS4 or Xbox One.

My favorite was Baldur's Gate 2, but they're all pretty good.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

18 minutes ago, BOOTP said:

Strange - I'd much prefer the Dark Alliance series on PS4.

While the other games are superior, they are PC old-school RPG's based mainly on 2nd Edition D&D rules. The micro-managing, constant need to pause / unpause and point / click / drag style does not suit consoles well.

Well, it depends on how they are adapted to consoles.

Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenara, Pillars of Eternity and Sword Coast Legends all adapted the CRPG gameplay-style fairly well to consoles. Although the latter had major performance issues. Those games are perfectly playable and enjoyable on consoles.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Well, it depends on how they are adapted to consoles.

Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenara, Pillars of Eternity and Sword Coast Legends all adapted the CRPG gameplay-style fairly well to consoles. Although the latter had major performance issues. Those games are perfectly playable and enjoyable on consoles.

True, but the games you mention are all fairly modern. The original Baldur's Gate came out in 1998 and the 'Enhanced' Edition still has the classic Infinity Engine at heart. Still, will be interesting to see what BeamDog do - personally I'd prefer they do a new version of Icewind Dale II but it can't happen sadly, for several reasons.

45 minutes ago, BOOTP said:

True, but the games you mention are all fairly modern. The original Baldur's Gate came out in 1998 and the 'Enhanced' Edition still has the classic Infinity Engine at heart. Still, will be interesting to see what BeamDog do - personally I'd prefer they do a new version of Icewind Dale II but it can't happen sadly, for several reasons.

Personally I still think the engine holds up well-enough. I just restarted playing the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate last month and to me it still looks and plays great. I'm more skeptical about the Neverwinter Nights' engine, as it's a a 3D engine that already wasn't great to look at when it originally released.

Sure, I would've preferred ,if the rights for those titles would've gone with either InExile or Obsidian instead. Just as much as I'd rather have Obsidian have the rights to Fallout. Neither happened ,so, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for Beamdog to not fuck it up.

Really hoping these don't get screwed up.  Couldn't be more pumped for these if I tried.  BG 1/2 and Planescape: Torment are some of the best games ever for any system, especially from a story perspective. IWD was a little more combat focused but still a good yarn.  NWN was a good story for an OK game but NWN was made great by some awesome adaptations of PnP D&D titles as well as homegrown stories with user-made modules. These will, most likely, not be available.  Dragonspear is the only one I have reservations about, the story being developed by people more concerned with "modern sensibilities" than an actually effective tale but I'll still take them all rather than none.

Edited by Kevvik

• 3 months later...

We have a release date:

Physical editions of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition will launch on December 3 in North America and December 6 in other territories, while all of other titles will launch on September 24 in North America and September 27 in other territories for $49.99 each

• The Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition Pack: Celebrating the series’ 20th anniversary, the original Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and its sequel, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, return with all downloadable content and restored quest content, as well as the Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear expansion, featuring new original content developed by Beamdog to bridge the two games.
  • Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition / Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition: Two must-play games and all their downloadable content in one package—the chilling Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, plus its expansions, and the enhanced edition of 1999’s RPG of the Year, Planescape: Torment.
  • Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition: The 2002 computer RPG of the Year and all its downloadable content deliver 10 standalone Dungeons & Dagons-based adventures featuring co-op and online multiplayer.

Also a trailer is online:

Source

a bit expensive on the double game bundles :(. but there's always time and sales to bring the price down.

i'm interested in the baldur's gate games nonetheless only played the first one.

Edited by lordguwa

This is great news. I will definitely pick up Torment but i don't know if i will pick up Baldur's Gate, because i have modded the shit out of the game and i don't know if i want to experience vanilla again just like with Dragon Age and Mass Effect (what am i kidding myself, i will buy them all).