Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights may come to PS4

dermarx

Hmm, I admit I am a bit skeptical about this. No doubt the games are excellent, well except Siege of Dragonspear which is an underwhelming if not unnecessary expansion. But Baldur's Gate and Planescape are two of the best RPGs in history. Even Icewind Dale is a great game. I played Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale a lot myselft. But I am not sure if they can work on a console, considering the age of the engine. Beamdog certainly has a lot of work ahead of them if they want to make this work. Unfortunately they aren't very good at what they are doing. All the enhanced edition were under a lot of scrutiny when they came out and it took a lot of patches to fix that. And even then these editions aren't much better then all the free mods the community made in the last two decades.

But I guess it is still something to look forward too and maybe these games will be good after all.

17 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

I've heard a lot of bad things about Beamdog and Enhanced Editions, including characters being rewritten to be more "progressive". Definitely looking forward to it, albeit with caution.

Beamdog sux, their added content is awful and as "progressive" as can be

20 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

I've heard a lot of bad things about Beamdog and Enhanced Editions, including characters being rewritten to be more "progressive". Definitely looking forward to it, albeit with caution.

"Progressive" and "problematic". My two most disliked words, frequently used to push political agendas nobody asked for. I don't get why they have to mess with that shit, just enhance/remake/remaster the games.

I played through the Baldur's Gate games as well as NN during my childhood, so I'd love to return to these old classics.

• Like 2

As someone who played all of those (except Siege of Dragonspear). I'd love to play those games again.

Even though I still own the boxed copies of all of them on PC, they don't seem to work anymore with newer Windows systems, which is a major bummer.

Personally I've enjoyed of what I played from the BG enhanced edition.

11 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Even though I still own the boxed copies of all of them on PC, they don't seem to work anymore with newer Windows systems, which is a major bummer.

Well you could buy the enhanced edition from gog.com. The original is included in the package and they run flawlessly on modern system. They even work with all the mods. And you can get the beamdog mess for a quite a nice price when they are on sale, which happens a lot.

3 hours ago, Durandal said:

Well you could buy the enhanced edition from gog.com. The original is included in the package and they run flawlessly on modern system. They even work with all the mods. And you can get the beamdog mess for a quite a nice price when they are on sale, which happens a lot.

Yeah, I know. I have the enhanced edition from gog of Baldur's Gat, hence why I said that I enjoyed what I played of the enhanced edition :P .. Still sucks though having a bunch of great games that I essentially need to buy again in order to experience them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Yeah, I know. I have the enhanced edition from gog of Baldur's Gat, hence why I said that I enjoyed what I played of the enhanced edition :P .. Still sucks though having a bunch of great games that I essentially need to buy again in order to experience them.

Indeed. I have a few of those too. I can't even install them anymore because I don't have CD/DVD drive anymore. But even if I would buy one they are too old to run on Windows 10. Venetica is one of those gems, and sadly the game isn't available on gog and the steam version is a buggy mess. But then again it does save me from replaying these games. That backlog monster is already too scary. :D