Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HusKy said:

Go to status menu and then press Options button.

Now I look stupid. Thanks my dude, much appreciated. :) :D 

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Online coop is obviously on hold right now since I cannot commit to anything at the moment..

I felt that .. :P 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inuty said:

Jotun is a total blast! Hope you enjoyed it as much as i did. A Good challenge for sure.

i played the Nioh2 Last chance demo and it wasnt a Pause Button in the Game :( sorry For the Bad news

It was pretty good ? The Valhalla No-Power bosses were no joke though.. 

Oh.. Well, I'm sure I will manage without pausing ? 

Also, please no spoilers everyone.. I haven't read anything about the game, didn't watch any footage or played the Demo. I'd like to go into the game 100% blind ?

I felt that .. :P 

Well, you should have time now to finish Nioh and Dariusburst at least ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Super awesome 

6 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

MEGA POST QUOTE

Am glad that you are enjoying Nioh 2 , poison build is the most non-samurai way to approach this  game hahah! I  should buy that game too, but I'd rather wait for DLC. Still trying to get rid of the horror memories of facing the samurai  stooges, Sasuke and Sanada in one go lol.

But back to the  meat of the post - whee finally the Jotun review xD I am glad it wasn't  a complete disappointment (and yes I did read the whole post, flattery and such :P ) But I also envy your RNG praying skills. How in the world did you get so lucky against Hagalaz (the bitchiest boss in the entire game for me) is a wonder! But yes Odin is quite the challenge, he gave me headaches too.

When I start the guide for it(damn I forgot about guides! I have a PS4 DmC guide in the works,thanks for reminding me), I do feel like 7/10 is fair. It's not as easy  as an 6/10 but from 8/10  onwards you get bullshit levels of difficulties, so a 7 is only right.

Again, well done! Go murder that Crypt of the Necrodancer game!(and stay healthy of course :)

• Like 1

Well done on completing yet another great platinum! And I absolutely love Nioh 2 so far, it improved even more on Nioh 1 with the burst counters and the cores. Unlike you I wanted to use another weapon. Critics complain that its more nioh 1.5 then 2 (I disagree btw) so that is why I decided to go with another weapon to change it up. The Switchglaive is an amazing weapon that I highly recommend it feels a lot like some weapons in Bloodborne which is amazing! You could take the dual swords as secondary so you still have it as backup. 

I'm actually surprised that you haven't played a lot of Nioh 2 so far but I understand with your kid it might be hard to get a long session in which is kinda neccesary for a nice play session. Its not a game that I jump in and out for 30 minutes or so. Unlike Trials Fusion which you are also playing I hope you are having a good time! Is this your first time playing a trials game? So close towards the 15 minutes run!! I am sure you are more than capable of doing it I hope to see it on your profile soon ;)

Looking forward to the next update! 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys! Also for reading through the monster wall of text! ?

But back to the  meat of the post - whee finally the Jotun review xD I am glad it wasn't  a complete disappointment (and yes I did read the whole post, flattery and such :P ) But I also envy your RNG praying skills. How in the world did you get so lucky against Hagalaz (the bitchiest boss in the entire game for me) is a wonder! But yes Odin is quite the challenge, he gave me headaches too.

Oh it wasn't a disappointment at all! The 7.5/10 rating really refers to the enjoyment of getting 100%... I was having a blast with the game, but some of the Shun the Gods fights in Valhalla were really frustrating. Especially Fé and Odin made me lower the score.. ? But it is a beautiful and unique game that I enjoyed a lot! 

45 minutes ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Well done on completing yet another great platinum! And I absolutely love Nioh 2 so far, it improved even more on Nioh 1 with the burst counters and the cores. Unlike you I wanted to use another weapon. Critics complain that its more nioh 1.5 then 2 (I disagree btw) so that is why I decided to go with another weapon to change it up. The Switchglaive is an amazing weapon that I highly recommend it feels a lot like some weapons in Bloodborne which is amazing! You could take the dual swords as secondary so you still have it as backup. 

The Switchglaive looks like a ton of fun.. I thought first about doing a Dual Sword - Omnyo build with it as my secondary weapon, and I might still end up doing that once poison becomes less viable (tick damage caps at 999, so at some point I guess it won't be as useful anymore) ?

I'm actually surprised that you haven't played a lot of Nioh 2 so far but I understand with your kid it might be hard to get a long session in which is kinda neccesary for a nice play session. Its not a game that I jump in and out for 30 minutes or so.

That's exactly it.. when I play Nioh I want to at least be able to finish a mission, and some of them are rather long... Plus I spend ages looking at my loot after each mission, going over the skills etc.. it's not a game to play in a rush! 

Unlike Trials Fusion which you are also playing I hope you are having a good time! Is this your first time playing a trials game?

Yep.. ? First time playing a Trials game, but having a very, very good time with it so far! It is addictive, it is beautiful, and it is a lot of fun! However, I'm pretty sure that it will dethrone Trackmania Turbo as the hardest game I've completed (once I actually get 100%, of course ?)

Edit: I just got Speed Demon ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Yep.. 1f642.png First time playing a Trials game, but having a very, very good time with it so far! It is addictive, it is beautiful, and it is a lot of fun! However, I'm pretty sure that it will dethrone Trackmania Turbo as the hardest game I've completed (once I actually get 100%, of course 1f605.png)

Didn't you at least play Elasto Mania back in the early 2000s? I remember that I had a blast playing that game.

And be ready to face arguably the hardest extreme in the DLCs, the Way of the Machine, which comes in the second DLC pack. Some two weeks ago I decided to go for the few remaining trophies myself and I have to say that I've made some promising progress - I am mostly concentrating on the Top Roach. I even got past the last difficult checkpoint once, paused the game, and when I unpaused, I accidentally rode off the platform ? But I still somehow enjoy the Top Roach - the challenge which I really hate is the Afterburner in the Eco Park, I wish this game didn't have this strange mechanics.

• Like 1

@det_gittes I remember playing WotM for the first time, thinking to myself, how the F will I ever finish this insane track? 

But once the game "clicks", everything seems manageable.

@Arcesius Since you are going to play the DLC first, be aware of Anger Management and the 40 Cube Sides. Anger Management tilted me so much, the name fits perfectly. 

Btw. Love the self made Screenshots! :)

• Like 1

You can cheese Anger Management by looking it up in track central. You won’t be on fire, making it easier. Although I recommend just doing it the normal way. After I finished that, the game clicked for me...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Is the cube challenge is that hard? It didn't look too bad from what I've seen, but I haven't tried it yet... 

I will give you a some advice for this one as I’ve wasted many hours going for this. I discovered this way too late myself but once again go to Track Central. There you can practice this skillgame with checkpoints and don’t attempt the trophy until you can run through levels 30-40 without faults. This will probably save you some hours of annoyance. Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Alright I listened to you guys and since I don't feel like I'm yet at the point where I can beat even Inferno IV (haven't tried again, though) I skipped that DLC and completed "Way of the Abyss", which wasn't too bad 1f642.png There were two checkpoints on Deluge that gave me a bit of trouble, but it's done! I'm going to do "After the Incident" next, but I hear that Meteorain is a nightmare, so I might have to move on before finishing this DLC... 

Yeah, the WoTM and Meteorain are by far the hardest extremes from the DLCs. But the WoTM is super long, so maybe in comparison Meteorain is easier (though even today I'm not a big fan of the last but one checkpoint). I might add that Redlynx wasted some of the potential of the DLC by not making the challenges required for trophies. Maybe I would hate them if they had, but now not many people bother to finish the WoTM in darkness or on the Roach or to play the secret level on Meteorain which you get to by reversing into the shaft. These would further limit the number of achievers :D 

@det_gittes I noticed your progress.. Well done! Do you only have Top Roach left? Good luck with that one! Must have felt like a punch to the guts rolling off the platform 1f636.png

Thanks! No, I have a few more challenges (Pipe Phobia not done yet) but once I get the Top Roach, I am quite confident that I will get the rest, too. When I looked at the number of completed challenges last night, it said 165, but surely quite a few come from the DLCs. I think I may have about 15 challenges left, but most of them super easy, just haven't even looked at them yet. When it comes to potentially difficult ones left, other than the two mentioned I've yet to get Afterburner, which I absolutely detest (Wormholin' was irritating, but Afterburner seems much harder). As for how I felt when I screwed up the Top Roach - frankly, I was speechless more than angry, and then I thought to myself, "Well, I've got here once, I will get here again", but 4 days have passed and still no luck. However, I'm not spending more than 1 hour a day on the track, otherwise I get burnt out and lose motivation to play. So when I play in the evenings, I am also going for the Redlynx to the Sword, right now I have three tracks left (Elysian Skies should be OK, but Seismic Activity and Sleepy Creek will take some time).

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Thanks! Appreciate it 1f642.png Yeah I thought doing the DLC will naturally make me practice the game, but I might go back and do some easy and medium challenges in the base game as well... I've heard of Anger Management being extremely infuriating, so I'm not really looking forward to trying my luck on it 1f605.png 

Is the cube challenge is that hard? It didn't look too bad from what I've seen, but I haven't tried it yet... 

Anger Management is very aptly named, the track is objectively not very difficult, but it will take you some time (more than four minutes if I remember correctly) to get to the fourth circle and it's really easy to screw up, so starting over and over is definitely disheartening. But the fire itself is not too much of an issue, so it may be a good idea to practice on this custom track with no fire, and then once you've worked out strats for each circle, you may want to see how it feels with the bike on fire.

The Speedcuber was really difficult for me as not only do you need a zero fault run on a very long track (if you consider the sides of the cube as one long track) but also you don't have time to set up jumps etc. because the cube keeps rotating (and this also changes the physics). On top of that, there are custom gravity settings and it is also easy to fault when transitioning from one side to the next. But with practice and patience (and, for all I know, you're willing to practice and you have a lot of patience), you will get it sooner rather than later :D

• Like 2

On 4.4.2020 at 0:15 PM, BB-BakkerJ said:

I will give you a some advice for this one as I’ve wasted many hours going for this. I discovered this way too late myself but once again go to Track Central. There you can practice this skillgame with checkpoints and don’t attempt the trophy until you can run through levels 30-40 without faults. This will probably save you some hours of annoyance. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to find that one on Track Central. I usually like to finish an entire set of DLC-trophies before moving on, though, and since I hear that beating the RedLynx times is among the hardest things to do, I think I'll leave that DLC for last ? Yeah, yeah, I'm weird like that. 

On 4.4.2020 at 3:13 PM, det_gittes said:

Yeah, the WoTM and Meteorain are by far the hardest extremes from the DLCs. But the WoTM is super long, so maybe in comparison Meteorain is easier (though even today I'm not a big fan of the last but one checkpoint). I might add that Redlynx wasted some of the potential of the DLC by not making the challenges required for trophies. Maybe I would hate them if they had, but now not many people bother to finish the WoTM in darkness or on the Roach or to play the secret level on Meteorain which you get to by reversing into the shaft. These would further limit the number of achievers :D 

I actually managed to get Meteorain yesterday... Took me four attempts, but I noticed progress after each failed run. At first I faulted out at the steep ramp you need to jump to... That one seemed impossible to do. The next time I got past that but ran out of time at the next obstacle, the long and steep incline (third-to-last CP). Then I got past that and faulted out at the Log-obstacle that seems impossible to do. 

In my successful run I actually managed to get to that second-to-last Log-Checkpoint with "only" 60 faults and within 4 minutes. Let's just say I passed the track with only 4 faults left ?

I'm intrigued by WotM.. It's probably a bit too early for me to be attempting these tracks, but I can't help it.. I had a lot of fun going for Meteorain, especially since I really noticed how I was improving, and how I could suddenly pass obstacles within a handful of faults that initially gave me a headache. This game... 

Let's just say I'm liking the game so much that I bought Trials Rising from the current sale ?

On 5.4.2020 at 5:39 AM, James_Tonto said:

Nice work on Jotun, it's one of those games I own on steam and been meaning to play. After seeing your thoughts and experiences with the game and its bosses, I'm now more eager to install and play it. And then maybe buy a copy for PS4 as well XD.

Thanks! Yeah it's absolutely worth a try. It is also on the short side, a first playthrough should only take a couple of hours. It's the Valhalla fights that will extend your playtime, but with two exceptions (Fé and Odin without powers) even that was a good time ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to find that one on Track Central. I usually like to finish an entire set of DLC-trophies before moving on, though, and since I hear that beating the RedLynx times is among the hardest things to do, I think I'll leave that DLC for last 1f605.png Yeah, yeah, I'm weird like that.  

Let's just say I'm liking the game so much that I bought Trials Rising from the current sale 1f62c.png

Redlynx to the Sword is really hard. Some track times are easy to beat but Sleepy Creek was a nightmare for me. Yeah, you should save this DLC for last ?.

Good you bought Rising. That game is also a lot of fun. And just a quick warning, because you might get tempted: Don’t buy Trials of the Blood Dragon! One of the worst games I ever played.

• Like 2

Let's just say I'm liking the game so much that I bought Trials Rising from the current sale 1f62c.png

Ha ha, why am I not surprised? I assume you'll only play it once you're done with Trials Fusion - then you'll really have a fun time seeing how easy that game seems. For sure there will be a few trophies that will give you a run for your money, though ;) In the meantime, after a one day break I had a 1-fault run going for the Top Roach, fml ? And the fault wasn't even on one of the harder obstacles (but it was not far from the end, which is why I finished the run for practice). 

2 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Redlynx to the Sword is really hard. Some track times are easy to beat but Sleepy Creek was a nightmare for me. Yeah, you should save this DLC for last 1f601.png.

The extreme is suprisingly easy as it doesn't even require a faultless run, but Sleepy Creek is giving me a hard time, too - I haven't yet figured out a surefire way for the first time-saver, not to mentione the other two ?

2 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

And just a quick warning, because you might get tempted: Don’t buy Trials of the Blood Dragon! One of the worst games I ever played.

Sometimes I feel tempted to buy it cuz the game is on sale so often, but then I remember all I've read about it and I always come to my senses. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, det_gittes said:

The extreme is suprisingly easy as it doesn't even require a faultless run, but Sleepy Creek is giving me a hard time, too - I haven't yet figured out a surefire way for the first time-saver, not to mentione the other two 1f61c.png

Maybe this will help you out. Skip to 7.00. I saw a lot of video’s of people going through the pipe leaning forward. For me it was a lot easier leaning backwards and doing a little hop. I even screwed up by landing on my front tire at 22 seconds in but still managed to get it. You got this man. Good luck!

Yeah, I beat the extreme with 8! faults. Only barely though and everything else in the run was pretty flawless. I don’t have a replay of it anymore. 

• Like 2

@BB-BakkerJ Thanks for the replays, I thought I saw your run (as I have you in my friends' list and currently I'm racing against your ghost on the Rock of Rages :D), but now that I watched it, apparently I didn't before - and I see that you didn't hit the second time-saver (the one after the billboard - it's possible to take the upper route but I find it hard) and still nailed it - that actually makes the track appear much more manageable, I will definitely try it tonight (also, a good tip about the first pipe - I do indeed lean forward, but it may be a mistake!). 

• Like 2