Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

And that's pretty much the only aspect that actually saves the game from going into my "do not touch this"-drawer.

Really? Yikes. 

That seems fairly extreme to me - I didn't play much of it in SP, but at worst I'd have called it forgettable - never outright bad.

I certainly wouldn't wave people off playing it if they had the notion :dunno:...

though I might tell them not to judge the rest of the series by it's only 3D entry!

• Like 2

Alright so....

Since you convinced me to buy Nex Machina @Arcesius, and the fact that your avatar comes from Nex Machina, you have to try out Resogun. It's practically a cinch because it contains a lot of the same thrills. Also need to try out Matterfall, although I haven't quite got around to buying that one just yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Alright so....

Since you convinced me to buy Nex Machina @Arcesius, and the fact that your avatar comes from Nex Machina, you have to try out Resogun. It's practically a cinch because it contains a lot of the same thrills. Also need to try out Matterfall, although I haven't quite got around to buying that one just yet.

@Arcesius

All 3 are great - they are the Neapolitan Ice Cream of Housemarque - each distinct flavours, but share common ingredients, and all are delicious!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@Arcesius

All 3 are great - they are the Neapolitan Ice Cream of Housemarque - each distinct flavours, but share common ingredients, and all are delicious!

I'm just waiting for when Arcesius is going to try Commando Mode solo on Resogun. Even he can't back down from a challenge like that.

10 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm just waiting for when Arcesius is going to try Commando Mode solo on Resogun. Even he can't back down from a challenge like that.

?

Yeah, it's a tough one - but like all Housemarque games, it's tough, but fair.

you never feel like the game is just crushing you - morel like it is just being harsh with you.

I never really feel, in their games, like i'm being sucker-punched or stabbed in the back by a bully, like in some games - it's more like a very strict piano teacher who just keeps smacking my fingers with a ruler every time I play a wrong note ?

• Like 1

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

1f602.png

Yeah, it's a tough one - but like all Housemarque games, it's tough, but fair.

you never feel like the game is just crushing you - morel like it is just being harsh with you.

I never really feel, in their games, like i'm being sucker-punched or stabbed in the back by a bully, like in some games - it's more like a very strict piano teacher who just keeps smacking my fingers with a ruler every time I play a wrong note 1f602.png

I'm good with the house on most runs, the problem is that I die from some random fireball that I didn't see when there's literally a million things going on at once.

When I got to the UFO twice on phase 20, I died from a fireball I didn't see. Then you have to repeat 20 minutes worth of gameplay just to get back to it.

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm good with the house on most runs, the problem is that I die from some random fireball that I didn't see when there's literally a million things going on at once.

When I got to the UFO twice on phase 20, I died from a fireball I didn't see. Then you have to repeat 20 minutes worth of gameplay just to get back to it.

While I still recommend it (and think it gets unfairly maligned as compared to Resogun and Nex Machina) - I will say this...

... if random fireballs are your nemesis... just wait for Master Mode in Matterfall ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Alright so....

You got it! I own Matterfall already, haven't gotten Resogun yet. I know it's currently on sale in the new Double Discounts sale, but that one is a bit weird since even with PS+ it's still more expensive than its all-time low. I'll get it the next time I see it for around 4€ or so. 

58 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@Arcesius

No doubt about it! I would also love to play Dead Nation eventually, but @Baker, with whom I played Alienation had already completed that one. And as I mentioned above... my girlfriend and I don't have enough time for a 30+ hour couch-coop game right now... But maybe some day :) 

56 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Oh don't worry, I won't back down ? Has to be said though, I have little to no experience with Shmups, so no idea how well I'll do with this game. We'll see! 

• Like 1

Dead Nation is an awesome game. But you don’t need a coop partner for that one. In fact the game is easier playing solo, and I remember Morbid difficulty was pretty hard to beat.

The coop trophies are easily done solo too if you have two controllers. Ofcourse it could be even more fun in coop, but I don’t know...

Yeah, I highly recommend you grab it. It goes on sale many times.

We could do Resogun? ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Thanks man, appreciate it! Honestly Splasher was really, and I mean REALLY tough.. but it was also a fantastic game to learn. I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it though, it doesn't seem to be too popular outside of hardcore platformer fans 1f605.png 555 owners on this site will tell you that. 

When I read you thought it was harder than SMB, I figured it would be a monster! The lack of owners makes sense because I can see just about everyone running from this ?

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That seems fairly extreme to me - I didn't play much of it in SP, but at worst I'd have called it forgettable - never outright bad.

Sorry, but I had to chime on this and say I loved all the Trines too!  Especially the third one, sorry...

As for the greatest dev of all time...

@AJ_Radio @Baker All you guys should do every Housemarque game if you get a chance. They're all amazing. Not to mention that dev deserving every penny thrown their way!

Doc, I see you're only missing Alienation and Star Dust, nice! and you're not wrong about Matterfall on Master, that's no joke...

• Like 2

Dead Nation is still a solid game but I can’t compare it with the Super Stardust, Resogun, Nex Machina group. Those are purely arcade based. Dead Nation and Alienation are both slower paced, which for people with slow reflexes and prefer something a little slower, may be better choices. 

In Resogun when you’re doing the challenges you constantly have to be moving and thinking on the go. I imagine Nex Machina will be the same thing.

• Like 1

Reading the Trine review helped ME realize what's the issue with the game xD at least for me and possibly you. 

I first played Trine when i was 15/16. Back then the game was wow for me, switching between characters to solve puzzles in a magical soothing world was something relaxing and so on. But I believe that Trine doesn't actually hold that well once you play more games with more challenges and more precise controls. When I played it on PS4, it controlled EXACTLY the same and had no extra issues or improvements. It's just that I PLAYED BETTER STUFF 

To have a sort of comparison, Trine is your basic sandwich with lettuce, ham, splash of sauce and some tomatoes. Sure its a very good sandwich... Until you unlock the Angus Beef, the multiple vegetables and so on. Suddenly you kinda don't feel like having that ham sandwich anymore unless you are hungry xD And really, after the adrenaline madness that was Splasher, Trine just doesn't hit the same. 

Now that I made you all hungry, Trine ain't bad. It just doesn't have anything extra shiny to keep it alive for long :D

• Like 2

I like all the Trine games to some extent - as I've said, but I won't pick apart your arguments, because, frankly, I can't ?

You make reasonable points, and I actually agree with pretty much all of them - the fact is, they just bothered me less, and almost certainly because of playing co-op with the good lady. Playing with her means the lack of challenge isn't a massive disservice, considering we are there for the visuals and the fun - but even on the fun front, Trine 3 is a marked step down from 1 & 2 - and 4, for what it's worth.

I would imagine I might have far less good things to say about the series if I played them solo - or online - the hilarity of not being able to properly get the boxes in position, and accidentally knocking each other off a platform to our doom is the game for me - and the source of half the enjoyment - and that side of it was kinda missing in Trine 3, because of the 3D. 

The depth perception thing too - big problem, though really, that is a problem in all 3D platformers for me - and one of the reasons I consider that whole genre to be pretty lacklustre...

Here's a genuine question for you guys - 

I'm wracking my brain, trying to think of a single game that has taken a franchise from 2D (or 2.5D) to full 3D - and it has actually made the game better....

Can you actually think of any?

I'm honestly drawing a blank... :hmm: 

• Like 2

Yeah I don’t have Ps Plus at the moment myself and I’m not renewing for a while anyway. It got two games I’ve played through Plus in an entire year subscription. And I don’t have any online games I’m going to start soon. So I also want to wait with Resogun and wait for a better deal and when there is a game I’m interested in on Ps Plus again.

And let me just rub it in one more time: Told you Trine sucked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Here's a genuine question for you guys - 

I'm wracking my brain, trying to think of a single game that has taken a franchise from 2D (or 2.5D) to full 3D - and it has actually made the game better....

Can you actually think of any?

I'm honestly drawing a blank... :hmm: 

Prince of Persia babyyyyy! 

And no not the atrocious PS3 "remasters". I mean the original PC ones. Don't get me wrong, the OG prince of persia are criminally good but Sands of Time was... Something else. 

That's all I got so far ?

4 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Prince of Persia babyyyyy! 

And no not the atrocious PS3 "remasters". I mean the original PC ones. Don't get me wrong, the OG prince of persia are criminally good but Sands of Time was... Something else. 

That's all I got so far 1f602.png

Sure - I'll take it - it's about the best I can think of...

..it's a hell of a small pool though, right? I mean, some people might try to make that argument about Mario 64 - but that would make them insane cuckoo-bananas people...

On the other side, you've got Street Fighter, Rayman, Mortal Kombat (basically every fighting game really), Trine, Bionic Commando, Sonic, Earthworm Jim, Pac Man... I feel like the list of games that failed, or at least got worse with 3D is soooooo long!

EDIT - 

I figured it out.

It's GTA.

That's the one.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sure - I'll take it - it's about the best I can think of...

..it's a hell of a small pool though, right? I mean, some people might try to make that argument about Mario 64 - but that would make them insane cuckoo-bananas people...

On the other side, you've got Street Fighter, Rayman, Mortal Kombat (basically every fighting game really), Trine, Bionic Commando, Sonic, Earthworm Jim, Pac Man... I feel like the list of games that failed, or at least got worse with 3D is soooooo long!

EDIT - 

I figured it out.

It's GTA.

That's the one.

Not touching that Mario nest!

Well fighting games got better I would say (with the exception of KoF lol) but yeah... GTA was in front of us all this time xD

I see you did Magicka 2. I mean you did a lot obviously and your account is extremely impressive, but can you recommend the game if I might be able to snag a few friends? And if I play it more than they do are there things I can do solo in between co-op play sessions? I've been holding onto this game in my library for so long now.

• Like 1

Just now, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I see you did Magicka 2. I mean you did a lot obviously and your account is extremely impressive, but can you recommend the game if I might be able to snag a few friends? And if I play it more than they do are there things I can do solo in between co-op play sessions? I've been holding onto this game in my library for so long now.

For what it's worth - I did Majicka 2 entirely solo or with randoms, and it was pretty fun - most randoms playing now are pretty good, and you learn a lot just by watching them play

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

For what it's worth - I did Majicka 2 entirely solo or with randoms, and it was pretty fun - most randoms playing now are pretty good, and you learn a lot just by watching them play

Is it the kind of game that I can easily incorporate my friends into no matter what my individual progress is or would they have to be caught up with me?

9 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Is it the kind of game that I can easily incorporate my friends into no matter what my individual progress is or would they have to be caught up with me?

I believe so yeah - you can do levels discretely, without needing to do them all in order as I recall