Is this any good?

kidson2004

Been seeing people talk about this and how good it is and I wanted to get your thoughts on the game if you played it. Do you recommend this? If so, what are some good points about this. If I like what I’m hearing, I “may” pick this up. 

I only played the Vita version, but I heard the problems weren't even fixed in EX... idk. If it wasn't on sale, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

It wasn't anything game breaking, the translation was just embarrassing. Even the damn trophy list had errors. 

The gameplay is good though. 

Which do you prioritize? If gameplay, I'd say try it. If story, I'd say pass. Unless you are into games like Ys, but I didn't see any on your list offhand.

I enjoyed my time with it.

I initially got interested in this because it was done by the same guys that developed the "trail of cold steel" series (which is a masterpice if you'll ask me) and if you played the trails series you'll feel at home with this title.

I played it 3 times in order to plat it (although it can be done in 2 playthroughs) and it didn't felt like a chore, the gameplay is decent and the story is good if you lower your expectation a bit.

it's an action RPG that is not that hard and has some social elements to it, it follows the formula of story -> dungeon -> free time (for optional dungeons, side questing and socializing) -> story -> etc.

IMO, It's not worth retail price but definitely worth it if it's on sale.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Crazy enough, I have 2 Ys games in my backlog lol but need to play them when I can. 

You and me both... ;_; Too many games, not enough time...

OH! For game play... you take 3 party with you, and can swap at any time. They all have different playstyles. I liked it.

I see you didn't play it, but sometimes people compare the social side to Persona... I wouldn't. It just has limited social time, but I don't remember anything beyond that.

jon probably summed up everything I missed or was too vague on.

• Like 1

i would not personally recommend this game. I played the PS Vita version and it was okay but there are far better action RPGs out there. The game is similar to Persona 4 Golden so you are best playing that if you have not touched it. 

However other games in Falcom's library are far better like Trails of Cold Steel I & II, Ys Celceta and Ys VIII

Yo.

I've finished my first playthrough, I think all I have left are my NG+ difficulty trophies.

I quite like it, I've never played the Vita version so I'm not sure how it compares, but I had (and still having) a good time with this.

Combat-wise the game is pretty simple to play and not difficult, but I still find it quite fun. Unfortunately I think the dated graphics hinder gameplay, and although the game plays super smooth, it looks and feels a bit janky.

Falcom music and sound it always good so there isn't a worry there, though it's not up to Y's level of greatness.

There's a ton of fluff and filler, especially when you include the side quests. If you've ever played a Trails, it's similar in the sense that there is so much damn text in the game, and it will add some serious hours to your play-time going through it all. I gotta say that  I do enjoy it, and I appreciate all the world building that they're trying to achieve with it, but sometimes it makes the game feel like a chore to get through.

With the side stuff out of the way though, I gotta say that I quite enjoyed the story. Yeah it's super-anime, predictable, and the characters get super cheesy and borderline cringe, but I gotta say I got pretty invested in the last couple chapters, and I felt some feelings hey. 

The game is alright, but I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

Edited by HotxPot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my first run in this game. Amazing. The music, the story, the gameplay, everything is great. The bad part: this localization is a disgrace. Ball jokes are fun and all, but not between 3 character lines, that's just... god no. "dropped your balls", "grab the bull by the balls", "you have the balls to...", "testicular might" and so on.

Proceed with caution if you are one of those snowflakes that get's offended by everything. I don't know japanese, but I can understand a few phrases that are common in anime and I know for sure that Shio is not talking about balls the whole time.

Edited by Katt
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This game is great. I used to think it was too similar to Persona 5, but to me, it's more like Tokyo Mirage Sessions without the idol stuff

- Fish out of water main lead with a friend who's a pro

- ambiguous love story arc

- lacklustre dungeons

The combat is enjoyable (if you like typical Falcom stuff) - graphics are dated (but that's to be expected of ports from Vita).

Some well written characters seal the deal for me. Asuka Hiiragi for example.

Tl;dr you'll love it if you like this sort of game. You'll find it okay if you're not accustomed to Nihon Falcom

• 9 months later...
On 30/07/2019 at 9:19 AM, AndyKazama said:

This game is great. I used to think it was too similar to Persona 5, but to me, it's more like Tokyo Mirage Sessions without the idol stuff

- Fish out of water main lead with a friend who's a pro

- ambiguous love story arc

- lacklustre dungeons

The combat is enjoyable (if you like typical Falcom stuff) - graphics are dated (but that's to be expected of ports from Vita).

Some well written characters seal the deal for me. Asuka Hiiragi for example.

Tl;dr you'll love it if you like this sort of game. You'll find it okay if you're not accustomed to Nihon Falcom

Wow what a coincidence, thanks to this lockdown I've just played through P5 -> TMS FE Encore -> this game in succession ?

Great game but horrible localisation, way too many typos/grammatical errors/incorrect translations...

56 minutes ago, FoxRDT said:

Wow what a coincidence, thanks to this lockdown I've just played through P5 -> TMS FE Encore -> this game in succession 1f604.png

Great game but horrible localisation, way too many typos/grammatical errors/incorrect translations...

At least it's not NISA (used to be bad) levels of localisation. Ys VIII's "big hole" ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyKazama said:

At least it's not NISA (used to be bad) levels of localisation. Ys VIII's "big hole" 1f602.png

Ys VIII = Lacrimosa of Dana, right?

That one is another Falcom game I was thinking of playing soon, which version would you recommend me to play?

3 hours ago, FoxRDT said:

Ys VIII = Lacrimosa of Dana, right?

That one is another Falcom game I was thinking of playing soon, which version would you recommend me to play?

For sure. They actually patched it as it was so bad. No issues I can see. 

Platinum is just as annoying as Xanadu. 

• 8 months later...
35 minutes ago, Czajnikus said:

Guys, I have a problem here... I dislike the "not enought "free time" to do everything" mechanics (like in ToCS) but on the other hand Ys 8 is my all time favorite game (TX is compared to both of those games). Is it like ToCS but with different textures and story? 

I haven’t played ToCS (yet) but I also disliked, understatement as I hated it, the free time mechanic in Persona 5. This game is not like that all and is much more like Ys. The game is more about exploring dungeons with fast paced combat and awesome music.

It does require multiple playthroughs, went for three myself, and if you do as much of the free time stuff as possible in your first playthrough you can skip almost everything in your consecutive playthroughs. It does require you to follow a guide though, not something I enjoy myself normally but it wasn’t that bad. I don’t think you’ll dislike the free time mechanic in this game, because it didn’t bother me at all.

This game is a hidden gem and pretty damn awesome. Go play it.

• Like 1

If you play Cold Steel before , you can tell that this game is pretty much same mechanic on most if not all basic structure of the game except game is real time action instead of turn based. (Even some character or enemy is straight from Cold Steel game lol)

If you are ok with how Cold Steel 1-2 play and you like how YS8 work, chance is, you will enjoy this game.

Platinum is different story though, it require you to pay attention on tons of missable just like cold steel and engage in a bit 'unfair' combat if you go for highest difficulty on 1st playthrough, it got easier later though. I personally went through it on 1st playthrough, if you can handle YS8 highest difficulty on 1st playthrough, you can get through it no problem. if not, you should do 3 playthrough instead or 2 with highest difficulty + monster buffed mode (infinity). 

If I have to rated:
Cold Steel 1 Platinum : 6/10 difficulty
YS8 Platinum (In 1 playthrough) : 7.5/10 difficulty
Tokyo Xanadu ex+ (in 2 playthough) : 6/10 difficulty , If 1st playthrough is on Nightmare : 7.5/10 difficulty , 3 playthrough should be around : 5/10 difficulty

Edited by FielVeredus

• 2 years later...

Absolutely loved my time with this one. The music, the gameplay, the characters it all clicked. Sadly, Trails of Cold Steel did not scratch the itch that this game left but it's rumored that a sequel could be around the corner.

2 minutes ago, ulkbound said:

Absolutely loved my time with this one. The music, the gameplay, the characters it all clicked. Sadly, Trails of Cold Steel did not scratch the itch that this game left but it's rumored that a sequel could be around the corner.

There is a rumour about a sequel to this game? I loved this game a lot!! Like you said. everything clicked. The characters, the story, the music. Everything!

21 hours ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

There is a rumour about a sequel to this game? I loved this game a lot!! Like you said. everything clicked. The characters, the story, the music. Everything!

They released new merchandise last year, did the Switch port, have sold double the amount of the first game than they expected, and - this is the biggest hint - are working on a new ARPG. We can only hope though! Speculation will be speculation.

• Like 1