Real Talk: When the Servers Shut Down, All Loot Locked Forever?

Startyde

If all rewards authenticate online, in 5, 10+ years when the server's go offline, all the effort that went into this gear and customization system will be locked forever? Is that honestly the system the designers signed off on?

In Sports games, players pay a ridiculous amount of cash and hours grinding for Ultimate Team (My Team) cards and that content lasts less than 2 years and it is gone.  And really only relevant for 1 season.

• Like 3

if there's things to gain online. yes it's gone.

if the crypt is "offline" and the rewards are generated without help from online it's "safe".

i wouldn't really be worried about it. the ps3 version of mortal kombat. the online is still on and it's been years ago (not so much vita) that was taken down after some time can't get the plat from it either but can get every other trophy.

Edited by lordguwa

I would imagine everything you've already earned will not go away. Honestly though, who is really going to give a damn about this game by the time they close the servers which is many years down the road if it even happens. People just grasp for things to complain about, I swear. 

Edited by Killbomb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Killbomb said:

I would imagine everything you've already earned will not go away. Honestly though, who is really going to give a damn about this game by the time they close the servers which is many years down the road if it even happens. People just grasp for things to complain about, I swear. 

Grasping at things to complain about? Are you being serious? People can pop in UMK3, MK2, Shaolin Monks at any time and they are decades old and just work. Reasonable people understand that online matching will eventually go offline with the servers, but were talking about a HUGE part of the offline game being locked away forever even though you own a physical disk.

2025: Wow, MK11s story was awesome. How do you unlock all these skins and gear I see on the Kustomize screen? Oh you cant ever? They just left it there to tease you for eternity? Awesome.

TL:DR: Theyre selling a full priced game chalked full of content youre not allowed to access unless they personally authorize it. And if theyre not around to do that, sucks to be you.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 3

When game content is rendered unavailable by server shutdowns--which is by definition an inevitability--it is a betrayal of consumer rights and privileges. Maybe not in a legal sense, but certainly in an ethical or moral one. When poor innocent trophies get roped into this bullshit, it's all the worse.

It's the shizzling drits and it's the rule rather than the exception when rat people in suits run the show.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Startyde said:

Grasping at things to complain about? Are you being serious? People can pop in UMK3, MK2, Shaolin Monks at any time and they are decades old and just work. Reasonable people understand that online matching will eventually go offline with the servers, but were talking about a HUGE part of the offline game being locked away forever even though you own a physical disk.

2025: Wow, MK11s story was awesome. How do you unlock all these skins and gear I see on the Kustomize screen? Oh you cant ever? They just left it there to tease you for eternity? Awesome.

TL:DR: Theyre selling a full priced game chalked full of content youre not allowed to access unless they personally authorize it. And if theyre not around to do that, sucks to be you.

Real talk: you'll live, get over it.  Or dont. I think you may be the only person worrying about wearing a specific customization in a game 5+ years from now.  Everyone else will be unlocking things in the newest mk

Tldr: why so serious? digital 4 life lol

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Real talk: you'll live, get over it.  Or dont. I think you may be the only person worrying about wearing a specific customization in a game 5+ years from now.  Everyone else will be unlocking things in the newest mk

Tldr: why so serious? digital 4 life lol

I just dont understand why they would do it. I work at a software company and if someone proposed gating offline content it would have been vetoed immediately. It seems so unecessary to not allow you to access content that has nothing to do with the online.

My only inkling guess is that the inevitable Komplete Edition in a year will have everything unlocked on disc by default to encourage double dipping. Nothing else makes sense.

• Like 3

Oh, make no mistake, it IS stupid and seems unnecessary and almost spiteful.  At the end if the day though, you gotta ask yourself "does it really matter that much?" Hopefully, your answer will be no, because if it does bother you (or anyone else for that matter) that much, then there's possibly a bigger issue at hand.

Here's to crossing fingers that they'd be good enough to unlock or patch in any lost customization content before removing access to it.

• Like 2

there's plenty of games that you can't even play offline that barely have any online content, so when servers shut down you're screwed. MK11 is a good game, but i'm pretty sure 5 or 10 years from now I won't be playing it. So what?

And they can still patch it, before shutting down.

7 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

When game content is rendered unavailable by server shutdowns--which is by definition an inevitability--it is a betrayal of consumer rights and privileges. Maybe not in a legal sense, but certainly in an ethical or moral one. When poor innocent trophies get roped into this bullshit, it's all the worse.

It's the shizzling drits and it's the rule rather than the exception when rat people in suits run the show.

This and ppl downplaying the whole trend.

It's those moronic consumers buying these products, ignoring, accepting and even defending these business practises and belittling others who see the sign of the times which make that shit possible in the first place.

Too bad the whole thing won't only affect these idiots but everyone.

• Like 2

If that bothers you than just don't buy it. It's that simple.

Not saying you aren't allowed to complain about it, but if you don't agree with their business model then don't give them your money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kezzai said:

Doubt you'll be caring about this game in 10 years when we're on Mortal Kombat 15.

Im honestly suprised by these replies. Do people not play older games anymore? Is MK2 not worth going back to? Or an older Zelda, or Tekken 3 or MGS1? What if large parts of them could never be accessed again for no valid reason at all?

If you buy a game, what is wrong with wanting to own the content? Not the online. Not the matchmaking, just what is already on the disc. 

Edited by Startyde

6 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

They could always change the loot/unlock system in a couple of years, if not less.

Im hoping this is the case, or like I said, change it with MK11 Komplete Edition. It would be scummy to force a double dip but Id take the option.

19 hours ago, Startyde said:

Im hoping this is the case, or like I said, change it with MK11 Komplete Edition. It would be scummy to force a double dip but Id take the option.

I can almost guarantee the Komplete Edition won't have everything unlocked. You're going to get all the DLC characters and maybe some extra skins but the Krypt will work in the same way. I also can almost guarantee that NRS/WB will either remove the online requirement or unlock everything automatically if and when the servers shutdown. They won't want the bad PR that would come with turning off the servers and locking content away forever even if it is 5 or 10 years down the road. 

19 hours ago, Startyde said:

Is MK2 not worth going back to? Or an older Zelda, or Tekken 3 or MGS1? What if large parts of them could never be accessed again for no valid reason at all?

You'll still be able to play MK11 in the future, same as all of your examples.

Besides, shutting down matchmaking servers to an old game that hardly anyone is playing anymore is a valid reason. This is a business. Running and maintaining these servers costs money. For as long as it's more profitable to keep them running, they will stay online. If they can sell lootboxes or premium currencies, the chances are even higher that the game will keep making them money and therefore be kept alive longer.

I'm not defending these strategies, but it is what it is.

And it's always possible that they patch the game before shutdown to make all rewards unlockable offline or free. Warner removed lootboxes completely from Shadow of War, so there is a kind of precedence for them acting in the player's interest, although that was for an offline singleplayer game during a giant shitstorm.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Startyde said:

Im honestly suprised by these replies. Do people not play older games anymore? Is MK2 not worth going back to? Or an older Zelda, or Tekken 3 or MGS1? What if large parts of them could never be accessed again for no valid reason at all?

If you buy a game, what is wrong with wanting to own the content? Not the online. Not the matchmaking, just what is already on the disc. 

Well, I don't even have enough time to play all current games I'm interessted in, let alone games I played ten years ago. I guess I could quit my job or other activites I'm interested in, but then there's the fact that after 10 years it's just not the same. Sure there's nostalgia and all, but going back to those games I loved in the past does more harm to the fond memories I have than it makes me happy to play them again. I remember when I was troubled with the fact that stuff may not be available at some point in the future when digital media became a thing, but I barely touch stuff that I have for real. Happy to have most of it, but on the other hand just stuff taking up space.

• Like 1

At the very least, I'd expect them to do away with the always online part of it before then. By the time the servers close, they'll probably do a remaster/port on the current gen consoles (leaving this version behind).

MK9's servers are still up on PS3 (RIP Vita), so we got a minimum of eight years left with this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just lost progress during today’s server downtime on towers I did. Done with this shit game.

You would think they would have shields against this but it’s obvious now that they went a very cheap route so they could still make money off their overpriced dlc that for whatever reason people pay full price for.