Copanele's collection of trophies and experiences

Copanele

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Missed this when you first put it up - but just added this to my wishlist based on this review (and gif!)  as it looks, for want of a better description, to be so much my jam, that it should really be called "Slain: Back fro Hell, DrBloodmoney1f602.png

EDIT - actually, scratch the wishlist - it's currently on sale in the UK for under 3-quid! Bought instead!

A worthy purchase, I am definitely sure that you will enjoy it also! Glad my review helped in embracing the metal xD

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Missed this when you first put it up - but just added this to my wishlist based on this review (and gif!)  as it looks, for want of a better description, to be so much my jam, that it should really be called "Slain: Back fro Hell, DrBloodmoney" ?

EDIT - actually, scratch the wishlist - it's currently on sale in the UK for under 3-quid! Bought instead!

If you don't mind some punishment, this is a great buy. I believe it's currently on sale. Valfaris is another pretty good one, which is currently my latest game in terms of purchase.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Missed this when you first put it up - but just added this to my wishlist based on this review (and gif!)  as it looks, for want of a better description, to be so much my jam, that it should really be called "Slain: Back fro Hell, DrBloodmoney" ?

3 hours ago, Copanele said:

A worthy purchase, I am definitely sure that you will enjoy it also! Glad my review helped in embracing the metal xD

I might get that one as well. Dunno why I hesitated since you last recommended it to me. I'll check whether it's on sale here in Switzerland as well once I get back home after the weekend :)

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

If you don't mind some punishment, this is a great buy. I believe it's currently on sale. Valfaris is another pretty good one, which is currently my latest game in terms of purchase.

Ah, Valfaris.. yes! Mori played it recently and said that it should be pretty much a game made for my taste. Should get my hands on that one as well. There can't be enough Metal in ones life anyways ?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I might get that one as well. Dunno why I hesitated since you last recommended it to me. I'll check whether it's on sale here in Switzerland as well once I get back home after the weekend :)

Ah, Valfaris.. yes! Mori played it recently and said that it should be pretty much a game made for my taste. Should get my hands on that one as well. There can't be enough Metal in ones life anyways 1f601.png

I think you were caught in a co-op game at that time, but yeah if its at a discount do get it for sure! It is a game for your own taste xD

I also have Valfaris, I do plan on playing that one also, since I've heard it's even better than Slain. I just need to clean up some other entries first, then I go full metal again :D have to ask Mori for tips too xD

Edited by Copanele

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Sure, I can take a bit of a beating from a game as long as it's good - hell, Curse of the Dead Gods has been kicking me in the head for three solid week now, and I still can't seem to drag myself away from it. It's like a beautiful but cruel mistress at this point ?

it's a great game btw - super tight and satisfying isometric dungeon crawler Rogue-like, with a lot of Dead Cells influence (and given that Dead Cells is probably the premier rogue-like currently on Playstation, that's the right one to draw from!) - though probably a lost cause in regards to platinum. (one of the trophies requires some really outrageous stuff, like defeat every boss 10 times without getting hit, defeat the final boss 5 times without taking a hit etc.)...

...but if you can set aside platinum-lust and just enjoy the game knowing the S-Rank is probably out of reach, I highly recommend it!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sure, I can take a bit of a beating from a game as long as it's good - hell, Curse of the Dead Gods has been kicking me in the head for three solid week now, and I still can't seem to drag myself away from it. It's like a beautiful but cruel mistress at this point 1f602.png

it's a great game btw - super tight and satisfying isometric dungeon crawler Rogue-like, with a lot of Dead Cells influence (and given that Dead Cells is probably the premier rogue-like currently on Playstation, that's the right one to draw from!) - though probably a lost cause in regards to platinum. (one of the trophies requires some really outrageous stuff, like defeat every boss 10 times without getting hit, defeat the final boss 5 times without taking a hit etc.)...

...but if you can set aside platinum-lust and just enjoy the game knowing the S-Rank is probably out of reach, I highly recommend it!

Huuuh curse of the dead gods? I have seen it a couple of times, it looks really really interesting! Reminds me a bit of Beyond Divinity, old ass game with the same vibe. 

I Wrote it down as a potential buy, caught my attention big time :D

• Like 1

I didn't find Slain all that difficult, and with the USB/Cloud saving trick you can even trivialize some sections. The real hard part for me was beating the Mother Beholder without taking any damage. I was stuck on that for a solid two to three hours.

7 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I didn't find Slain all that difficult, and with the USB/Cloud saving trick you can even trivialize some sections. The real hard part for me was beating the Mother Beholder without taking any damage. I was stuck on that for a solid two to three hours.

Yup, it really wasn't that difficult. The hardest trophies were indeed that stupid no damage Mother Beholder and the no damage Wolf Run, I struggled quite a bit there too. 

I did play 2 playthroughs however. Doing it in 1 go is possible, but really diminishes the fun if you are constantly stressed by dying while not knowing what will show up next. 

58 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Yup, it really wasn't that difficult. The hardest trophies were indeed that stupid no damage Mother Beholder and the no damage Wolf Run, I struggled quite a bit there too. 

I did play 2 playthroughs however. Doing it in 1 go is possible, but really diminishes the fun if you are constantly stressed by dying while not knowing what will show up next. 

I think I did three playthroughs actually. It's more fun to play the game once on your own, then follow a guide and use the USB/Cloud saving trick on subsequent playthroughs.

Speaking of playthroughs, I'll be doing Duke Nukem Forever on Normal FIRST, then do it on Insane.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Copanele said:

YES! Still waiting for you to start that one 1f602.pngplaying on normal first is a good decision. 

I don’t expect anything spectacular. I rented the game a decade ago and was disappointed with it. 

I just love Duke Nukem as a character, even if he is in a bad game.

7 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I don’t expect anything spectacular. I rented the game a decade ago and was disappointed with it. 

I just love Duke Nukem as a character, even if he is in a bad game.

Yep, I miss Duke. The good Duke :( 

Anyway, speaking now of a GOOD first person shooter

:platinum: No. 140: Turok 2 Seeds of Evil

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1591116082

Platinum Name: In Demand 1S3554fc.png

Hardest Trophy: I AM TUROK! 15Sc290a3.png complete the campaign on Hardcore difficulty

Difficulty: 4/10, guide for key items heavily recommended

Personal impression: 7.8/10

NOSTALGIC VALUE: 9/10

Allow me to introduce you the very first First Person Shooter I have ever played start to finish!  I didn't understand a damn thing about this game when I first played it at the glorious age of...13 I guess? (I barely knew anything at that age, give me a break xD )  I picked this game up from a PC magazine and from the moment I saw that I can blast dinosaurs in half with a shotgun, I was sold. Didn't manage to finish the game from the very first go, mind you, but it did leave a lasting impression on me, which motivated me to finally reattempt it later on and finally complete it some time later, thus being one of the games that cemented this damn passion of mine. You can imagine my excitement and utter pure joy when I saw the trophy list of a remastered version so many years later. Naturally, picked it up, played it and...oh boy, it's just as good as I remember.

Turok 2 is originally a 1998 game about an angry Native American guy shooting dinosaurs, dinozords and the cousins of Godzilla in a medieval setting with futuristic weapons. You control Joshua Fireseed, a warrior who has the mantle of Turok passed onto him. He is summoned by a guardian called Adon who asks him to save 6 separate worlds and defeat the big bad boy Primagen. Turok must go in all these 6 worlds, clear up objectives, defend the Energy Totems and collect keys that will enable him to finally fight Primagen.

Yes, it's not the most complex plot ever, but being 1998, it's quite passable. It's basically another excuse to pew pew around the world. Graphics and sound-wise, this game is nothing remarkable unfortunately. In this aspect, the game did not age well at all, levels being pretty bland (port of Adia), weird (Hive of the Mantids) or plain Boring (Primagen's Lightship which is basically a maze of similar looking corridors). So if someone comes in and says " damn what's with this ugly looking game", I can't blame them at all. 

What sold this game back then and still sells it today are 3 main components: gameplay, enemies and weapon variety.

Enemies start as the basic bipedal raptors who jump around, fire at you with lasers and throw grenades and try to maul you up. They are the most common enemies, but they can pose a serious problem on Hardcore. Then you move to the River of Souls, a graveyard extension of Port of Adia, where you get ambushed by zombies, who are slow but my god do they pack a punch. In the marshes, you find a different breed of mechanized gorillas, who either throw rocks at you, machine gun you or energy sword your ass. The hive is filled with bugs...obviously. Primagen's Lightship has tons of turrets and grandpa cyborgs that can snipe you from a mile away. And my favorite level Lair of the Blind ones have blind orcs that can hear your every step and SPIDERS WHEEEE!

Anyway, enemies are DIFFICULT to fight. At least in the beginning. They don't move in a straight line, not even in a zig-zag pattern, they weave and crouch like an actual animal, however they are smart enough to hide behind covers and throw shit at you. On Hardcore Difficulty it's actually tricky to hit them if you don't know their erratic pattern.

You are not your average dude with a peashooter either. Here's where the huge gun variety comes into play. Turok starts with your average 20 arrows wooden bow, a melee claw weapon and an utterly useless Flare gun (my 13 years old ass tried to shoot dinosaurs with it, guess how impressed they were). You do find a pistol later on, which barely improves the gameplay...until you find THE SHOTGUN!!!!!!!

The shotgun introduces you to a very fun concept: ammo types. You have your regular 20 shells who do splash damage and can blow out a Dinosaur's head at most. Your textbook shotgun. However when you grab the explosive shells - oh boy! Dinosaurs get BLOWN into bits (literal chunks), even if you miss the camera shakes and whatever is in your range simply...dies. This might be nostalgia, but damn it was satisfying to simply explode everything around. From this point onwards, fun times!

And from here...it's party town. You get a bow with explosive arrows. A sniper rifle which shoots plasma. A shotgun upgrade which shoots ricochet bullets. A heat seeking rocket launcher that shoots 3 rockets in a row. Parts of an ancient nuke weapon. A boomerang razor disc. And my favorite, Cerebral Bore, a ... brain one hit kill weapon that shoots guided drills through the air towards the nearest enemy. If the enemy has a low intelligence however (like a basic raptor or a spider), the Cerebral Bore won't recognize it. This weapon blasted my mind (figuratively, and blasted the minds of the enemies literally), because it was so damn amazing that this weapon worked only on certain enemies.

However, the game has its own share of problems. Other than the mentioned graphics, you can get lost really easy (despite the remaster updating the map and adding a well desired mission objectives and indicators). Some maps have a truckload of enemies and they can simply jump you or teleport behind you without any notice. But by far the worst part of this game is the entirety of level 4: Lair of the Blind Ones. It's one of the most frustrating levels in a FPS game. Mazes over mazes, obscured mission objectives, annoying enemies and infinite spawning spiders. Not to mention that you have to deal with several underwater labyrinth sections. It's the level I dread the most every time I play Turok 2.

In conclusion, this is one of the games that formed my gaming "career". It's an absolute blast of the past. Can't really recommend it to anyone, but if you are a die-hard fan of old shooters starting with Doom and ending with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Clive Barker's Undying, Half LIfe (the first one) and such, Turok 2 is right up your alley.

THE GOOD:

- childhood game

- tons of fun weapons

- interesting enemies

- diversity in levels

THE BAD:

- it's an OLD ASS GAME

- level design ain't that crazy

- Lair of the Blind Ones is a pain in the ass

- some weapons aren't really that useful

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

I'm really late to this but you have some pretty tough plats done! Gonna be following this.

Good luck on Catherine. I have it on my backlog too (PS4 version) and I know I'm going to struggle with it.

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by :D 

Yeaah, Catherine is a game that I dread abit. I played it, didn't finish the story because it utterly kicked my ass. But I am extra motivated to do it, just need some extra skill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

Congrats! The review was very comprehensive as well. Yakuza is a series I've always been curious about.

Thanks! It was a bit bland if I could say so myself, but yeah regardless it's a good series.

Starting Kiwami 2 right now, heard it's way better than 1 :D 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Thanks! It was a bit bland if I could say so myself, but yeah regardless it's a good series.

Starting Kiwami 2 right now, heard it's way better than 1 :D 

I thought Kiwami 1 was way better than 2. It also has an awful tower defense minigame. I hated that crap.

I loved Yakuza after playing Zero, than I did 1,2 & 6 and it got worse every time. Still very good games but it has stopped me from going after 3-5 (for now).

Just now, Baker said:

I thought Kiwami 1 was way better than 2. It also has an awful tower defense minigame. I hated that crap.

I loved Yakuza after playing Zero, than I did 1,2 & 6 and it got worse every time. Still very good games but it has stopped me from going after 3-5 (for now).

Oh,ok! Guess I will see for myself. As long as there's no more shootout sections at least xD 

Yeah I have a feeling that nothing will top Yakuza 0. That game was SOMETHING ELSE! Full throttle no stops!

• Like 2

Glad to see that you are enjoying the series so much!

Just finished Yakuza 3 and so far 0 is still the best, but it's not like any of the others are bad. So far I think it goes 0, 3, 1 then 2 for my favorite to least so far. Looking forward to playing 4 this summer and possibly Judgement.

9 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

So far I think it goes 0, 3, 1 then 2 for my favorite to least so far.

Oooh you're one of the few who actually rank 3 so up high. I liked it as well by the way but I rank it just a bit lower. It's a hit or miss for some depending on how much people get invested with the kiddos and Haruka. 

Hope you like 4 though... That game.... was just something else. You'll see xD 

Y'all are talking about 3,4, Judgment. Wait for me, i got hooked up by Golf in Kiwami 2 ? goddamn minigame is addictive. 

I want to also see what's the deal with 4, but no spoilers please. Got me intrigued big time. 

After another round of golf. Seriously I am too good at this minigame xD

• Like 1

Also adding this so I won't forget about the counter:

💯  No. 31 - Arcade Archives: The King of Fighters '95

300px-The_King_of_Fighters_95.jpg

Another KoF down! (Re)played this one as a break after Yakuza Kiwami + it was very cheap in the stores. Your textbook SNK game, super fun characters, nice artwork, brutally cheap AI. Reaching 200.000 points took abit of Save state abuse, but overall I went with the cheapest team of Terry, Athena and Robert.

All that's left:

• Arcade Archives: KoF 94, 96, 97, 98, 2000
  • KoF 2002 UM
  • SNK Heroines (heh)
Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PooPooBlast said:

Oooh you're one of the few who actually rank 3 so up high. I liked it as well by the way but I rank it just a bit lower. It's a hit or miss for some depending on how much people get invested with the kiddos and Haruka. 

Hope you like 4 though... That game.... was just something else. You'll see xD 

Yakuza 3 is the best one. Also for me has the best soundtrack too, mini game master trophy sucks though.

• Like 1