Copanele's collection of trophies and experiences

Copanele

Not my kind of game. This and Guilty Gear are a bit too anime for my tastes. 

Great job on the platinum. I suppose all of this is training. That one game I can’t pronounce that you feel you won’t be able to finish, and Art of Fighting. 

The latter is more dumb luck and the AI being cheap. Old arcades were basically designed that way.

• Like 1

Well I thought Skullgirls is more like on the cartoon side. But yeah it's all due to heavy practice, took quite a bit to finally do it. But yeah there's some certain "too anime" bits (which mortal kombat also had between brutalities xD

Now as a personal "famously tricky game to complete" I have in plan to get Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I mean there's more fighting games to play for me but UMVC3 I' d say is the only notorious one left. There would also be Persona 4 Arena and Street Fighter x Tekken but... I don't trust my ps3 handling this sort of abuse anymore. 

And as for that unpronounceable game... Its Koihime Enbu Ryorairai, and it has 8 platinum achievers on this site. I checked what I have to do in it and... It doesn't look good as a game and it doesn't sound like a fun time either. Not sure if it's worth wasting time there just for the sake of difficulty. But we shall see. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

:platinum: No. 128 + 💯 completed : Batman Arkham Origins

220px-Batman-Arkham-Origins-Box-Art.jpg

Platinum Name : Platinum 1S7b321f.png

Hardest Trophy : Predator Paragon 41S7b4f0f.png - multiplayer is insane here

Difficulty : 3.5/10, 5/10 with multiplayer + boosting session included

Personal impression : 

• Single player only : 8.2/10
  • Multiplayer included : 7.3/10

Batman Arkham Origins is the only game in the Arkham franchise not developed by Rocksteady Studios. It feats a less-experienced Batman who is being introduced to the Caped Crusader job ordeals by becoming the target of 8 assassins in Christmas' Eve. So Batman here must deal with every one of them and find out why Black Mask (the main villain of the story ..for now) put a bounty on his head.

Not being part of the Rocksteady quality release, this game is not as refined as Arkham Asylum/City. And it's not because of Batman being inexperienced. The combat itself suffers from some hiccups, sometimes hits not registering or Batman losing the combo streak mid-combat. Worse, the enemies can be buggy at times, being able to hit you mid-counter or get stuck in the walls.

This is most obvious in the Combat challenge rooms where you really have to deal with the bullshit the game can potentially throw at you, in addition to the combat challenge itself. 

Predator rooms however are way easier than Arkham City. In fact, the entire game is much easier than Arkham City or even Arkham Asylum.

Story-wise however, I think this game nails it. I was quite intrigued by the whole plot and I didn't think it was that bad. Voice acting wasn't on par with the previous games (Mark Hamil didn't reprise his role as the Joker here) but the actors did a very good job (sorry Troy Baker, Mark Hamill still got you in the Joker department). Special mention goes to the dialogue between Batman and Alfred. I think here Alfred was at its best in terms of Batman games.

What is exceptionally remarkable at this game are the boss battles. Hot damn they finally did some good boss battles. I played only Asylum and City prior to this game and except Mr Freeze, the rest of the bosses were kinda trash. Not here though. Except maybe one lame boss, all of them are super fun to fight and actually challenging at some points.

The DLC Cold,Cold Heart is also pretty decent. You get introduced to Mr Freeze (one of the more tragic heroes from Batman's Rogue Gallery). The DLC is not too different from the main game, but you get to wear a super good looking XE suit and play briefly as Bruce Wayne. 

Overall a good game.

NOW FOR THE SHITTY PART : THE MULTIPLAYER

This is by far the worst multiplayer I had to deal with. I know, the servers should have been long dead and it's only because of the trophies BUT this game did NOT need a multiplayer. You have a 3v3v2 situation , either playing as Bane's goons, Joker's goons or Batman/Robin team. It's basically a capture the checkpoint type of game. What's stupid at this is that other than random disconnections and games not registering your progress (if one member disconnects at the end of the match when the results appear, the whole match is nullified), THE TROPHIES ARE A PAIN!!

For instance Predator Paragon, one of the crappiest trophies out there, asks you to defeat 6 different goons with 6 different methods as either Batman or Robin. Suffice to say, even with a wonderfully coordinated team, this took well over 4 hours to achieve, simply because the game would not register the different takedowns. It was an atrocious experience. And then there was the grind to level 30 , where the Joker team took twice as long to level up. 

Multiplayer was hell and I don't want to ever touch it anymore.

So yes, if you wish to play this game, play it for the single player. If you wish to 100% this game, better find a group of people that would want to spend time with you because multiplayer will eat your liver.

THE GOOD:

- decent story

- fun boss battles

- Batman is a raging machine

- Alfred rocks

THE BAD:

- oh lord the multiplayer...

- not as refined as the other Arkham games

- Joker's voice actor is not Mark Hamil

- quite a number of annoying bugs

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

Because I still have Assassin's Creed Brotherhood to do, I'm going to skip doing Origins simply because of the multiplayer. Server announcements for this game date back to 2016, so at this point the online can go kaput at any time. I have three unobtainable games, and I don't want to add a fourth.

PS: Not that the lack of Mark Hamil really bothers me too much, but he is a man I greatly respect. He will always be Luke Skywalker to me, his guest appearance on the Muppet Show was hilarious. Oldie television show I know, but you can't beat the classics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Because I still have Assassin's Creed Brotherhood to do, I'm going to skip doing Origins simply because of the multiplayer. Server announcements for this game date back to 2016, so at this point the online can go kaput at any time. I have three unobtainable games, and I don't want to add a fourth.

PS: Not that the lack of Mark Hamil really bothers me too much, but he is a man I greatly respect. He will always be Luke Skywalker to me, his guest appearance on the Muppet Show was hilarious. Oldie television show I know, but you can't beat the classics.

Yeah it's not worth it. If you really wish to see the story (and not use youtube), just play on an alt on easy. Challenges are nothing near as difficult as Arkham City, you could say they are a tutorial compared to what Arkham City threw at you.

And yep, Mark Hamil is a great man!

Buuuuuut Batmen aside, I need to write now about beat-men :D and you know what I mean!

:platinum: No. 129 : Art of Fighting Anthology

435846-art-of-fighting-anthology-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Platinum Name : Kyokugen Karate Expert 1S8b101e.png

Hardest Trophy : Heir to the Dojo - complete all 3 games on Hard difficulty INCLUDING special stages (aka Young Geese Howard) 6Sa4d185.png

Difficulty : 8/10

Personal impression : Ranging between 7/10 (shit AI) and 10/10 (amazing collection)

SNK is like the Skynet of fighting games. Why? Because the AI in their games feel like the Terminator (1 and 2, not ...whatever the heck came afterwards). This is seen best with this beautiful collection called Art of Fighting, which is considered a prequel to all other SNK games like Fatal Fury or King of Fighters.

This series presents the adventures of 2 Karatekas , Ryo and Robert. In AoF1 they try to save Ryo's kidnapped sister Yuri, in AoF2 they compete in the first King of Fighters tournament ever held by Geese Howard and in AoF3 Robert travels to Mexico after some girl ,idk I did not pay attention to that game's story.

All three games are incredibly good looking considering the time they were released (especially AoF3 looks amazing) and all of them control properly. You will not see bullshit like in SF2 here where you wonder why the shoryuken didn't come out, they are really solid, all you need is the proper execution.

THE ONLY ISSUE IS THAT ALL 3 OF THEM ARE PAINFULLY HARD AS HELL. LIKE CACTUS APPLIED TO THE FACE LEVELS OF PAINFUL.

Art of Fighting 1 - Why Grandpa What a big nose you have!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjb4U8aNNsshHrcTREDmW

In AoF1 you can play only as Ryo and Robert. You are in search of Ryo's sister Yuri (an adorable little thing) which was kidnapped by the local mafia boss Mr Big. You have to fight an assortment of various grunts, each of them will lead you to the next location. Bonus points, if you defeat King with a super attack you blow up her shirt. Nicely done SNK!

Anyway you find Mr Big, a huge man with twin sticks, and what does he do when the battle starts? He goes wolololo at you Raiden style from MK. Honestly the first time I got scared when i saw that enormous man lunging at me, flying in the air. It's the last thing I expected him to do. He's a nasty piece of work but with every SNK boss he was exploitable by kicking him out of his wololo attack.

I thought he is the final boss. Little did I know that he was just the prelude to the real event : Fighting the mysterious character Mr Karate, a guy with a Tengu mask. And bruh this guy will make you realize that he is MISTER Karate!!!!!!! He is BRUTAL!!!! If you try to fight him head-on he will pulverize your ass by the time you figure out what's going on. 

And he's only the SECOND hardest boss in the entire anthology!

Art of Fighting 2 - Crime and spamming Reppuukens like an asshole never pays

64px-Portrait_AOF2_Geese.png

AoF2, also known the Ninth Circle of SNK hell, also known as the Bane of the controllers, also known as my worst nightmare, is the hardest AND the best from the trilogy. In this game you compete in the first King of Fighters tournament after you discover who Mr Karate is (find it yourself, won't spoil it). The AI is even more brutal than the previous game and infinitely cheaper. Luckily you also can use all the cast, not only Ryo and Robert. From all that cast there's a special cookie called Mickey, a boxer. He is in charge of the National Cheese Treasury, aka you can cheese every single character with him (although you still need mad reactions for that).

Now the trick of this game : in order to fully complete it, you need to unlock the secret fight with Geese Howard. To do that, you need to win every match with 2-0. If you lose one round, you can wait for the AI to beat you up and retry, but 2-1 wins are not accepted in South Town. Anyway you reach this mad lad, he offers you to work under him, you refuse and...

...you should have accepted. Young Geese Howard fight is the hardest fight in the entire series. He doesn't really react to your moves like the other AI opponents do, he just...relentlessly attacks you. He spams Reppuukens (ground waves), he dashes at you lightning fast, he fucks you up with uppercuts that remind me of Rugal's Genocide cutters and his normal crouch attacks do like 1/5 of your health bar if they fully connect. It took me well over 50 tries to figure out how tf would I beat him, but I eventually did with a rather solid strategy, which can be checked HERE

He is a pompous bastard and defeating him really got me pumped up.

Art of Fighting 3 - Viva La Mexico. Also who are all these people?

AOF3_Wyler_Win_Screen.png

AoF3 is the best looking game in the series, since it used motion capture for its models. However it's also the most uninteresting and lame of them all. The AI is sniffing glue here compared to the chad AI from the other 2 games, the cast is completely changed (except Ryo/Robert) and they all suck ass, the new villain is...some weird muscular mutant Hulk guy and even the gameplay kinda falls apart. I understand that they wanted to go for something different but...eh. Glad they focused on KoF instead. This was the easiest part of the platinum.

So...yeah. A true adventure here, loved to play this collection. However I will take a break from these ancient games, I need something more modern. Else I will lose my mind and fingers completely xD 

Extra tag to @Honor_Hand in case you wish to read my final ramblings about this mad game :D . Shameless advertising always works!

THE GOOD

- finest games from the old arcade days

- unique cast

- solid gameplay

- brutal AI

THE BAD

- brutal AI

- gameplay is obscure unless you check the online

- AoF3 kinda sucks

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 3

Shameless advertising works wonders, I reckon. x3

A great recollection of thoughts on all 3 games, man. I really enjoy reading elaborate posts like this, and that sense of humor that you're able to convey in your writing is exceptional too. Very informative and funny at the same time, lol. It's unfortunate the third game wasn't able to deliver in the same way as the previous two, but hey, at least it was a proper rest for you after the intense pain and frustration caused by AoF 1 & 2. SNK probably wanted to move the series into a different direction with that third installment (and maybe tone down on the ridiculous difficulty of the other two games) so they cooked up something different for it. Even if the final product looked good, they probably realized that what they had done wasn't really getting the attention of the fans, therefore, they decided to move onto the other arcade games of the time that were reporting them more money. At least many of the characters of AoF would eventually end up in their KoF series, so not much was lost I guess.

So, in summary, the difficultly mostly stems from being a rather obscure fighting game with uncommon yet functional mechanics that also happens to have a really, really ultra-cheap AI BUT, it can still be worked out with plenty of cheese provided by Mickey and lots and lots of patience.

I love how "brutal AI" is part of both "The Good" and "The Bad" of this game. xD I would have labeled that as "The Ugly" instead. ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Shameless advertising works wonders, I reckon. x3

A great recollection of thoughts on all 3 games, man. I really enjoy reading elaborate posts like this, and that sense of humor that you're able to convey in your writing is exceptional too. Very informative and funny at the same time, lol. It's unfortunate the third game wasn't able to deliver in the same way as the previous two, but hey, at least it was a proper rest for you after the intense pain and frustration caused by AoF 1 & 2. SNK probably wanted to move the series into a different direction with that third installment (and maybe tone down on the ridiculous difficulty of the other two games) so they cooked up something different for it. Even if the final product looked good, they probably realized that what they had done wasn't really getting the attention of the fans, therefore, they decided to move onto the other arcade games of the time that were reporting them more money. At least many of the characters of AoF would eventually end up in their KoF series, so not much was lost I guess.

So, in summary, the difficultly mostly stems from being a rather obscure fighting game with uncommon yet functional mechanics that also happens to have a really, really ultra-cheap AI BUT, it can still be worked out with plenty of cheese provided by Mickey and lots and lots of patience.

I love how "brutal AI" is part of both "The Good" and "The Bad" of this game. xD I would have labeled that as "The Ugly" instead. 1f602.png

Honestly if they did AoF3 with the original cast (and a new villain) that would have been amazing. I believe the lack of an interesting roster of characters is what hurts that game the most. But yeah, except finishing the game with one stupid character Karman Cole who is just a Tony Stark with shitty movesets, the game is super easy compared to the other ones.

Thank god they unified Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting in King of Fighters, because that series is AMAZING. Plus, I don't think I ever saw a game where one of the strongest inputs is ➡️⬅️➡️ + attack button, where you fire up a ton of hits. These mechanics are weird but work wonders.

Speaking of Fatal Fury ... guess I will do Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2 after a bit of a break + finishing other games :D at this point I am throwing money at SNK.

Also yeah, Brutal AI is a bad thing about this game, but it wouldn't be SNK without some cheapness so yeah, it's also a good thing ? It's not a proper old game without some SNK Boss Syndrome.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I did one of the old arcade games SNK developed and even with save scumming and all, the final boss in this game was goddamn tough. 

There’s literally a buttload of old Arcade Archives on SNK games. The piss easy trophies are both a blessing and a curse.

Oh the Arcade Archives games are super easy to complete,considering that you only need a specific score and not even finish the entire game. Arcade archive SamSho3 for instance is way easier to 100% than actually completing the game for the SamSho collection that has a platinum :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Oh the Arcade Archives games are super easy to complete,considering that you only need a specific score and not even finish the entire game. Arcade archive SamSho3 for instance is way easier to 100% than actually completing the game for the SamSho collection that has a platinum :D

True, but a number of them are great for trying out. 

Konami and SNK both had some kick ass arcade games way back in the day. Sunset Riders... loved every minute I played of it. Was lucky enough to play the actual arcade cabinet. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, AJ_Radio said:

True, but a number of them are great for trying out. 

Konami and SNK both had some kick ass arcade games way back in the day. Sunset Riders... loved every minute I played of it. Was lucky enough to play the actual arcade cabinet. 

Was thinking, since I can't get SNK out of my head ( I really REALLY loved Art of Fighting, that game got me good), After I am done with P4ArenaUltimax and a Blazblue game, I will go for the KoF  Arcade Archives in order, just to have them lined up good and completed :D 

It should be like this:

Arcade Archives KoF 94 - 2003

The King of Fighters 97 Global Match

The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match

The King of Fighters 2000

The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (still don't own it yet)

Hope I haven't missed any. The only KoF that I won't get would be KoFXII , which has Online servers down. A bummer, but that game sucked big time anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

Was thinking, since I can't get SNK out of my head ( I really REALLY loved Art of Fighting, that game got me good), After I am done with P4ArenaUltimax and a Blazblue game, I will go for the KoF  Arcade Archives in order, just to have them lined up good and completed :D 

It should be like this:

Arcade Archives KoF 94 - 2003

The King of Fighters 97 Global Match

The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match

The King of Fighters 2000

The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (still don't own it yet)

Hope I haven't missed any. The only KoF that I won't get would be KoFXII , which has Online servers down. A bummer, but that game sucked big time anyway.

There’s a lot for sure. Many SNK titles on Arcade Archives that look tempting.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 2:41 AM, AJ_Radio said:

There’s a lot for sure. Many SNK titles on Arcade Archives that look tempting.

Dude, I just found (again) a game that I played like a mad kid way back xD : Circus Charlie

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/11204-arcade-archives-circus-charlie

Holy crap I loved jumping with that lion through the fire rings . Video here, if you know the game. That music also ? good times.

Anyhow, new plat+ 100%.

:platinum: No. 130 : Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

+💯 % completed

220px-Persona_4_Arena_Ultimax.png

Platinum Name : Thou Art I 1S526bdc.png

Hardest Trophy : Old Bamboo Comb - All trials done with Marie 56S822e0b.png

Difficulty : 4.542351241551236854/10 - Really torn between a 4 and a 5 because of dumbass Marie

Personal Impression : 8.25/10

Honestly...not much to say about this game. I know NOTHING about Persona, only that it works the same way as the Stands in JoJo, but with less bizarreness and better writing.

Game itself looks super good, soundtrack...well Atlus game, of course it's 10/10, story is good (if you like P4, I never followed it) and of course my favorite character is the one introduced with this game, Labrys (I mean, with Arena games)

NOW GAMEPLAY because that's where I can talk about. I have to say, it was both good and bad. I mean, good in terms of faithfulness to the series, kinda like how DBFZ is, but bad as in...it doesn't feel that solid. I don't know how to properly describe it, I didn't quite like the gameplay to be completely honest. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's really not to my taste. Of course, bullshit mechanics like autocombos (mash square ) and All-Out Attacks (mash square, triangle and circle I think...whatever I remapped) really prevented me from enjoying this title to its fullest.

There was another mode however that I truly loved : Gold Arena Mode. You go full RPG mode with a character of your choosing, you earn experience and items with various effects from the fallen enemies. The best part : You can set the entire game to auto-mode, as in the AI fights for you. You are only tasked to equip it with the best gear and skills. I absolutely enjoyed this part, my Labrys even managed to defeat Gold Elizabeth at floor 200 on Auto-mode, which is kinda difficult.

Another special case that I must make is against one DLC character : Marie. This little runt

MV5BYjlmNTk4ODYtNTYwNy00OTIxLTk4ZDctNDc4Yzk0Y2ZjNWM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA5Nzc5MzE4._V1_.jpg

I think I only hated El Fuerte more than her. God she was OBNOXIOUS. Many people complained that Adachi has the hardest trials, he was honestly fun, if abit stupid at one specific trial (24). But Marie...she's a stupid gimmick character, where she does random attacks instead of punches and kicks. What's worse, her trials ask you to pull random garbage from her bag and cancel that garbage into another garbage. Who the hell designed this? She's the reason the difficulty was so high for me. Spent way more time than expected just because her bullshit won't come out.

Anyway that's kinda it. Honestly I can't wait to play the OG P4Arena simply because a lot of people deem it a 10/10 in terms of difficulty. WE SHALL SEE!

(I expect Score Attack mode to be fully cheap, as they usually are)

ALSO PERSONAS MAKE NO SENSE! Why does Chie, a Bruce Lee obsessed girl with karate moves have a Naginata wielding Persona? Or the fan user Yuki...onna? Idk the red dressed girl has a ballerina with fire? The only Persona that makes sense is the yahoo kid's wind Persona that looks like Deadmaus. I can't comprehend what's the link between the characters and their Personas xD 

Maybe I should have played the original games...

Also Teddie sucks!

THE GOOD:

- Fantastic soundtrack - the very first thing you will notice

- Awesome presentation

- Translating jRPG characters into a fighting game is somewhat of an art form

- Solid mechanics

- Golden Arena Mode is super fun

THE BAD:

- Not my kind of solid mechanics

- If you know nothing about Persona 4, good luck trying to understand wtf is going on

- Marie is the bane of this game 

- Chie the brawler has a Naginata Persona and that bothers me.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Copanele said:

Dude, I just found (again) a game that I played like a mad kid way back xD : Circus Charlie

Holy crap I loved jumping with that lion through the fire rings . Video here, if you know the game. That music also 1f602.png good times.

That's going back to a long time ago indeed. Never heard of this game whatsoever until you mentioned it, must of been pretty obscure to start with.

I definitely prefer the 1990s era arcade games, particularly the stuff from Capcom, Midway, Konami, SEGA and SNK among others. A lot of titles from the 1980s and even before are generally too archaic. I have no nostalgia for Atari, I would have to be a guy in his 40s to have really experienced that old stuff and have love for it.

---

You're definitely steamrolling on your trophy profile, and if you can finish the hardest Persona game you might stand a little chance at doing that one fighting game whose name escapes me that you regard as the hardest, due to the absolutely insane trials.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

That's going back to a long time ago indeed. Never heard of this game whatsoever until you mentioned it, must of been pretty obscure to start with.

I definitely prefer the 1990s era arcade games, particularly the stuff from Capcom, Midway, Konami, SEGA and SNK among others. A lot of titles from the 1980s and even before are generally too archaic. I have no nostalgia for Atari, I would have to be a guy in his 40s to have really experienced that old stuff and have love for it.

---

You're definitely steamrolling on your trophy profile, and if you can finish the hardest Persona game you might stand a little chance at doing that one fighting game whose name escapes me that you regard as the hardest, due to the absolutely insane trials.

Koihime musou? That one based off of that pc porn game?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Koihime musou? That one based off of that pc porn game?

That's the one. Wait it's based on a pc porn game? That i did not know lmao ?

Name is Koihime Enbu Ryorairai, kinda heard its the absolute worst, yes the animation felt abit revealing but well playing anime fighting games, I took it as a natural thing. Didn't know there is a backstory like that lol! 

Edited by Copanele

6 hours ago, Copanele said:

That's the one. Wait it's based on a pc porn game? That i did not know lmao 1f602.png

Name is Koihime Enbu Ryorairai, kinda heard its the absolute worst, yes the animation felt abit revealing but well playing anime fighting games, I took it as a natural thing. Didn't know there is a backstory like that lol! 

Yeah, it's an erotic visual novel from like 10+ years ago.

All I know about it is it's a harem for a main character that gets sent back to the romance of the three kingdoms period

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Yeah, it's an erotic visual novel from like 10+ years ago.

All I know about it is it's a harem for a main character that gets sent back to the romance of the three kingdoms period

Well...that was unexpected. Might reconsider the game then lmao.

Nothing against (erotic) visual novels, but that definitely is a genre I am not into. Then I'll stick myself to more conventional games :D 

And yeah I know RRR is a fighting game but I expect the "writing" to be all over the place.

Edited by Copanele

38 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Well...that was unexpected. Might reconsider the game then lmao.

Nothing against (erotic) visual novels, but that definitely is a genre I am not into. Then I'll stick myself to more conventional games :D 

And yeah I know RRR is a fighting game but I expect the "writing" to be all over the place.

There's probably a synopsis online for the story of RRR you could look up before playing it if you're wanting to be cautious

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 3:16 AM, Copanele said:

Holy crap I loved jumping with that lion through the fire rings . Video here, if you know the game. That music also 1f602.png good times.

Anyhow, new plat+ 100%.

:platinum: No. 130 : Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

+1f4af.png% completed

220px-Persona_4_Arena_Ultimax.png

Platinum Name : Thou Art I 1S526bdc.png

Hardest Trophy : Old Bamboo Comb - All trials done with Marie 56S822e0b.png

Difficulty : 4.542351241551236854/10 - Really torn between a 4 and a 5 because of dumbass Marie

Personal Impression : 8.25/10

Honestly...not much to say about this game. I know NOTHING about Persona, only that it works the same way as the Stands in JoJo, but with less bizarreness and better writing.

Game itself looks super good, soundtrack...well Atlus game, of course it's 10/10, story is good (if you like P4, I never followed it) and of course my favorite character is the one introduced with this game, Labrys (I mean, with Arena games)

NOW GAMEPLAY because that's where I can talk about. I have to say, it was both good and bad. I mean, good in terms of faithfulness to the series, kinda like how DBFZ is, but bad as in...it doesn't feel that solid. I don't know how to properly describe it, I didn't quite like the gameplay to be completely honest. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's really not to my taste. Of course, bullshit mechanics like autocombos (mash square ) and All-Out Attacks (mash square, triangle and circle I think...whatever I remapped) really prevented me from enjoying this title to its fullest.

There was another mode however that I truly loved : Gold Arena Mode. You go full RPG mode with a character of your choosing, you earn experience and items with various effects from the fallen enemies. The best part : You can set the entire game to auto-mode, as in the AI fights for you. You are only tasked to equip it with the best gear and skills. I absolutely enjoyed this part, my Labrys even managed to defeat Gold Elizabeth at floor 200 on Auto-mode, which is kinda difficult.

Another special case that I must make is against one DLC character : Marie. This little runt

281px-P4U2_Marie_Portrait.png

I think I only hated El Fuerte more than her. God she was OBNOXIOUS. Many people complained that Adachi has the hardest trials, he was honestly fun, if abit stupid at one specific trial (24). But Marie...she's a stupid gimmick character, where she does random attacks instead of punches and kicks. What's worse, her trials ask you to pull random garbage from her bag and cancel that garbage into another garbage. Who the hell designed this? She's the reason the difficulty was so high for me. Spent way more time than expected just because her bullshit won't come out.

Anyway that's kinda it. Honestly I can't wait to play the OG P4Arena simply because a lot of people deem it a 10/10 in terms of difficulty. WE SHALL SEE!

(I expect Score Attack mode to be fully cheap, as they usually are)

ALSO PERSONAS MAKE NO SENSE! Why does Chie, a Bruce Lee obsessed girl with karate moves have a Naginata wielding Persona? Or the fan user Yuki...onna? Idk the red dressed girl has a ballerina with fire? The only Persona that makes sense is the yahoo kid's wind Persona that looks like Deadmaus. I can't comprehend what's the link between the characters and their Personas xD 

Maybe I should have played the original games...

Also Teddie sucks!

THE GOOD:

- Fantastic soundtrack - the very first thing you will notice

- Awesome presentation

- Translating jRPG characters into a fighting game is somewhat of an art form

- Solid mechanics

- Golden Arena Mode is super fun

THE BAD:

- Not my kind of solid mechanics

- If you know nothing about Persona 4, good luck trying to understand wtf is going on

- Marie is the bane of this game 

- Chie the brawler has a Naginata Persona and that bothers me.

Yes you should play Persona 4 Golden. It is a pretty solid RPG. I am finishing my first runthrough soon. It has some cool life sim mechanics when you are not in the dungeons. I dont know why the main games inspire such weird off shoot titles like the dancing games, arena and the new one for persona 5 coming out that is like a dynasty warrior game. The style and music of the games are so fun though it makes up for the bizarre characters like teddie.

Edited by kingofbattle8174

1 hour ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Yes you should play Persona 4 Golden. It is a pretty solid RPG. I am finishing my first runthrough soon. It has some cool life sim mechanics when you are not in the dungeons. I dont know why the main games inspire such weird off shoot titles like the dancing games, arena and the new one for persona 5 coming out that is like a dynasty warrior game. The style and music of the games are so fun though it makes up for the bizarre characters like teddie.

Yeah unfortunately I really am not a big fan of jRPG's :) This Arena game might be the only way I will ever experience Persona xD 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:53 AM, Copanele said:

I say fighting games aren't my strong suit because online I am not that great, my reflexes and reads aren't godlike, and honestly that's how you gauge your true worth in fighting games : by being the big kahuna online. Like that, arcade and offline is fine, but other than Golden Rank in SF5, legit rank trophies in MK10 and C rank with Ryu and Cody, I am not that great online. A dedicated player would whoop my ass no argument there.

Going to necro this quote. You say fighting games aren't your strong suit but you continue to just crush them. With the amount of experience you have with them, I can see you doing pretty well online with a little practice. Just because you aren't top 10 in the Country or whatever doesn't mean you wouldn't be good at them.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Going to necro this quote. You say fighting games aren't your strong suit but you continue to just crush them. With the amount of experience you have with them, I can see you doing pretty well online with a little practice.

Yeah got to admit, there has been some progress made from that point until now :D The only condition for me to perform decently in online is to actively like the game.

If I can't stand it...I just drop it. That's what happened in Dragon Ball FighterZ, I simply dropped the match because the game was boring me to tears.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Copanele said:

Yeah got to admit, there has been some progress made from that point until now :D The only condition for me to perform decently in online is to actively like the game.

If I can't stand it...I just drop it. That's what happened in Dragon Ball FighterZ, I simply dropped the match because the game was boring me to tears.

I’m that way with rhythm games and some racing titles. Neither genre I’m too big a fan of, although I ended up really liking DRIVECLUB. 

• Like 1

Hey there! Decided to finally visit your thread, LOL. :)

Gotta say, I'm impressed at the amount of fighting game plats you have, especially the ones most known to be difficult, such as Injustice and SSFIV. I have the former in my backlog, from when they gave it away for free a while back. I'm both looking forward to it (because it's gonna be a new and challenging experience) and dreading it (because it's a genre I absolutely suck in).

Pity you already have an unobtainable game with PES, but I wish you luck with the rest of your backlog anyway. I see you have some more difficult games in there, such as P4A and Mirror's Edge.

• Like 1