Sega joins lineup to buy Atlus

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/08/02/sega-sammy-one-of-the-companies-interested-in-purchasing-atlus-parent-company/

PS4-600x337.jpg
If you guys didn’t know, Atlus’ parent company, Index Corporation is in a finical mess. The company is in over $2.4 billion yen in debt and is also being investigated for fraud. The company recently talked about selling assets, but now it seems that they might just be bought out whole.

Bloomberg reports that 20 companies are in the race to buy Index, one of those companies is SEGA-Sammy Holdings who is leading the pack. It seems that bids have exceeded the $150 million everyone thought Index was worth, the current bid is at $200 million! It is said that bidding will be narrowed down by next week and if all goes well we will find out what company gets Index and their assets.

But lets say that SEGA does buy Atlus, would that be a great thing for gamers? I mean, I love SEGA and I love Atlus games, but Atlus always brought obscure games over from Japan for Wesetern audiences. Without them we wouldn’t have Demon Souls or even the recent Dragon Crown, while SEGA seems more hesitant to bring over titles (Yakuza 5,Valkyria Chronicles 3 and more).

If they get them, I hope they let their games keep being localized.

As long as Nintendo is in the running I would consider them the front-runners.  The WiiU is a mess but the company as a whole is still sitting on a mountain of money.  The DS/3DS has had the last couple major SMT games so a relationship already exists as well.

If all ATLUS games became Nintendo exclusives that would be the worst case scenario almost >: lol

This could also be a bad idea if Sega remains hesitant to bring games over, as it kind of clashes with Atlus' willingness to bring these so called risky games over to the western audiences. Conflict of interest, you could say. But it would be an interesting and intriguing buyout.

• 1 month later...

http://kotaku.com/atlus-is-becoming-part-of-sega-1338653981

ku-bigpic.jpg

Atlus will soon be a Sega brand, reports Japan's Nikkei. P

The Japanese news source reports that there have been substantial steps forward for Index Corporation (Atlus' parent company) to transfer management control over to Sega Sammy Holdings (Sega's parent company).P

This comes as Sega will formally purchase Index for 14 billion yen (US$141 million), and Index's game business is being reorganized under Sega.P

Last August, there were reports that Sega was among twenty companies bidding for Index, which was going through financial proceedings. This summer, Atlus said its brand would carry on and was "unaffected" by the financial troubles.P

If anything, I hope this means that Atlus will handle localizations, such as Yakuza.

Not sure I'm happy about either Sega or Nintendo getting Atlas. If Nintendo gets them persona will most likely be Nintendo exclusive. If Sega gets them Persona games probably won't come to the west

This is what I'm afraid of.... That a Persona or a SMT game may not come to the West again. I just hope sega knows that these franchises do well in the west.

• 1 month later...

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/31/whos-charge-index-corporation-atlus-parent-company-now-sega-owns/

When Sega acquired Index Corporation, the parent company of Atlus, the deal was done under a new subsidiary called Sega Dream Corporation. Instead of using that company name, they’re changing the name of Sega Dream Corporation to… Index Corporation. So, basically Index Corporation is just a subsidiary of Sega Sammy instead of it being part of Sega Dream Corporation.

The more important question is who is in charge of Index Corporation now that it’s integrated into Sega? Sega Sammy Chief Operating Officer Naoya Tsurumi is now the president of Index Corporation and Yasuhiko Hamada is the Executive Vice President.

Yukimasa Murakami, the Managing Director of Index Corporation before the acquisition, is still the managing director of the new Index Corporation.

Yakuza creator Toshirio Nagoshi, Sega game director Yukio Sugino, and Atlus USA president Naoto Hiraoka are on the company’s board.

Deckard_Cain_(Diablo_II).gif What a fortunate turn of events!

I'm pretty interested to see that the Yakuza head is on board.