Any trophies tied to a limited time event.

BestUsername----

This thought just popped into my head. Has there ever been a trophy that was tied to a limited time event? I don't mean like a yearly or holiday event, but rather specific events that are one and done and if you missed out then you missed out. Like for example Monster Hunter Worlds crossover events.

1 minute ago, Zetsuo said:

There was a time when "Lest Ye Be Judged" from Destiny 2 was unnobtainable because the event you need to play (Trials of the Nine) was deactivated, but after some time they change and updated the game mode and put it online again 1f601.png

Oh yeah, forgot about those kinds of trophies. Those happen all the time, hate when that stuff happens.

But I'm going deeper. I mean trophies obtainable only through a certain time period, and once that's passed. It's over for 100% if you didn't obtain the trophies.

There are a few (don't ask me on what games, I forgot) that were linked to specific dates, but there are a few linked to holidays, usually linked to the calendar, so we can work around that.

The only ones that I remember being linked to a date and "lost forever" was on some PS3 NBA game that had a trophy that required to play a "specific" match at the same day that it happened in the real world..

• Like 1

Just now, DaivRules said:

Besides sports titles and their tournament placement trophies?

Yes, beside those. That's more in line with server closures affecting trophies.

1 minute ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

The only ones that I remember being linked to a date and "lost forever" was on some PS3 NBA game that had a trophy that required to play a "specific" match at the same day that it happened in the real world..

Oh wow. Can you trick the calendar on your console? Or was it an online only game?

1 minute ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Offline stuff, ya, we can change the console date for those kind of trophies (well, most of them).

Close but no cigar then. Thanks for your input though.

I guess the game in question would have to be online only. Again I don't mean server shut downs. But limited time events such as Rainbow Six's Quarantine event.

I didn't play it when it had trophies but I thought I remember PlayStation Home having a timed event unless I'm thinking of something else kind of like it. Not that you can really get the trophies for that anymore anyway.

I also feel like there was some kind of FPS game that had a trophy that had an event that you had to do in order to get. I keep wanting to say one of the Killzone games but I don't think that's right.

2 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I didn't play it when it had trophies but I thought I remember PlayStation Home having a timed event unless I'm thinking of something else kind of like it. Not that you can really get the trophies for that anymore anyway.

I can confirm PS Home didn't had anything like this. I played that game for hours every day and there were never any trophy changes. There were a ton of ingame event items though. So maybe you're confused with that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gamesfourever said:

I can confirm PS Home didn't had anything like this. I played that game for hours every day and there were never any trophy changes. There were a ton of ingame event items though. So maybe you're confused with that.

Yeah, maybe. Otherwise I'm not sure. I know Xbox and Steam have plenty of Achievements that are like what OP is asking for so I might also be thinking of an Xbox or Steam FPS game that had a limited time trophy.

3 minutes ago, Conker said:

MLB 2K10 and 11 had a trophy that was only obtainable on the day the all star game was played, if you missed it, you could never ever get it 

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Guides say that the game is connected to 2k servers so you couldn't manipulate the clock, never mind that the servers are closed. If one genre was going to be the culprit for this kind of trophy, the sports genre makes the most sense. Thanks for quenching my curiosity!

Yup, MLB 2K10 and 2K11 as someone has said already.

Overwatch has many unobtainable achievements on XBOX too. They had 'one and done' winter/summer events which got achievements and the events will never repeat as it's a new event with new achievements each time the season comes back around. 

Not really 'one and done' but Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway has an achievement on XBOX for playing the game online on September 17th, so you cannot use the calendar trick with it. 

1 minute ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Yup, MLB 2K10 and 2K11 as someone has said already.

Overwatch has many unobtainable achievements on XBOX too. They had 'one and done' winter/summer events which got achievements and the events will never repeat as it's a new event with new achievements each time the season comes back around. 

Not really 'one and done' but Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway has an achievement on XBOX for playing the game online on September 17th, so you cannot use the calendar trick with it. 

Thanks, maybe I should start compiling a list like other posts? Nothing really informative more like for fun I guess.

Restful Resort from Star Trek Online might be partially time limited. I see people are getting the trophy recently so I'm not sure if it's actually time limited. This one requires you to get various Lohlunat Festival accolades, which according to the game's wiki are only available during the summer event, which is roughly July - August.

3 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

Restful Resort from Star Trek Online might be partially time limited. I see people are getting the trophy recently so I'm not sure if it's actually time limited. This one requires you to get various Lohlunat Festival accolades, which according to the game's wiki are only available during the summer event, which is roughly July - August.

Thanks, but not really what I am looking for. While this is limited time it is an annual event, still sucks though. I'm looking for trophies where if you miss a specific time frame you're not going to get the 100% trophy completion.

5 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

Thanks, but not really what I am looking for. While this is limited time it is an annual event, still sucks though. I'm looking for trophies where if you miss a specific time frame you're not going to get the 100% trophy completion.

I see now, my bad. Somehow I totally missed that sentence where you qualified for non-recurring time limited trophies.

11 hours ago, Conker said:

MLB 2K10 and 11 had a trophy that was only obtainable on the day the all star game was played, if you missed it, you could never ever get it 

I think games like this would greatly benefit from allowing you to get the trophy by beating someone that does have the trophy. Just how a lot of racing games allow you to get trophies from beating a dev by someone who already beat the dev and has the trophy.

45 minutes ago, gamesfourever said:

I think games like this would greatly benefit from allowing you to get the trophy by beating someone that does have the trophy. Just how a lot of racing games allow you to get trophies from beating a dev by someone who already beat the dev and has the trophy.

Great idea, i really like those viral type trophies, remember me of the first Borderlands that have a trophy for playing with someone from Gearbox or someone that already had the trophy

13 hours ago, Redgrave said:

Yeah, maybe. Otherwise I'm not sure. I know Xbox and Steam have plenty of Achievements that are like what OP is asking for so I might also be thinking of an Xbox or Steam FPS game that had a limited time trophy.

Yeah, Steam has a ton of those, though achievement hunters complaining to devs has gotten some to be obtainable by all through some alternate means or some of the events to be run again.  Steam definitely is still a cesspool of broken achievements all over the place because Steam cares little about their achievement system and many devs don't bother to fix or remove the brokens.  It's especially sad because on Steam it's so easy for a dev to at least remove a broken achievement they won't be able to fix and that is a satisfactory resolution to most achievement hunters.

1 hour ago, RedDevil757 said:

Nice topic. I don't think i'd like to see a game with trophies like that though. It'd be a good way for a publisher to make trophy hunters get the game day one, Have like a launch day event with trophies. I hope that never happens.

It's also a great way for a dev to piss off trophy hunters.  Some of those sorts of achievements exist on Steam and they definitely get complaints because most achievement hunters believe that games should have 100% of trophies available to all players regardless of when they play them.  Some have been removed and some have been given an alternate way to earn or had an event later run to give people a chance to get them.  I'm glad this doesn't exist on PSN and also that Sony has some care for their trophy system, even if it's less than some players would desire.

15 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Nice topic. I don't think i'd like to see a game with trophies like that though. It'd be a good way for a publisher to make trophy hunters get the game day one, Have like a launch day event with trophies. I hope that never happens.

Yeah I would also hope that devs go against having trophies tied to pre-order or day one events.Though I would suspect that it would get a boost from sales by trophy hunters, not a big one though.

17 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Yeah, Steam has a ton of those, though achievement hunters complaining to devs has gotten some to be obtainable by all through some alternate means or some of the events to be run again.

I know that Steam as a tremendous amount more when it comes to achievements but I didn't know about time limited event achievements. I guess if that ever happened on a console developers can just go the Rainbow Six route and change almost all of their trophies.