RPG Mania 2020 Edition ( Sign ups closed).

22 hours ago, AffectatiousDonk said:

Have at it @Armored_Oso66 my backlog basically consists of the entire PS4 catalogue at this point and I move at a snails pace when gaming. Take your pick. I enjoy basically everything so looking forward to whatever comes up.

Happy gaming all 45 RPGs in a year sounds crazy, lets hope Rat port a few to help me out ?

Same here Affectatiousdonk I am probably going to use this opportunity to finish games I already started before I try to start anything new. Than again with new games like DOOM Eternal and FF7 Remake releasing soon I'm most likely going to take some time to play those and some other non-RPG titles.

Edited by Armored_Oso66
  • Like 1

Speaking of Final Fantasy 7 Remake, I'm so looking forward to that game. I've never played the original (born in 1996, never became interested in RPG's till I was 14 years old so by then it was such a distant game). Now I'll get to enjoy the game with a fresh modern take on it and I'm just so hyped for it lol. I heard it really good final fantasy game, been trying to purposely not look that deep into the story/lore so I can get the "new player experience" as much as possible.

2 hours ago, Armored_Oso66 said:

Same here Affectatiousdonk I am probably going to use this opportunity to finish games I already started before I try to start anything new. Than again with new games like DOOM Eternal and FF7 Remake releasing soon I'm most likely going to take some time to play those and some other non-RPG titles.

That sounds like a perfect plan. I am just looking at your profile now and it is wonderful to see so many games I have been considering Dragon Star Vanir, Trials of Cold Steel 3, Super Nep RPG, I see you even did Fate/Extella Link now I have heard this is ...... interesting. Great to see you are playing Control now, I know opinions vary on that game but I hope you find in it as much joy as I did.

Now as to what I will throw at you for this challenge. Well I notice you have no Ni No Kuni or Ni No Kuni 2 game on your profile which I feel is a travesty (also no FF12) . If you were amendable to acquiring one of these games this year I would highly recommend it. But I don't want you to buy games just for this so those 3 games are on the table (take your pick) or from your current list of games  on your profile I will go with The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (NA). I see you only did 1 trophy in it in 2016 which makes me think we feel the same way about it BUT everyone and their dog loves it so perhaps they are right and it is time.

So, what a long post, options for you

Buy - Ni No Kuni or Ni No Kuni 2 or Final Fantasy 12

or 

From your list - The Witcher.

I hope you can find some fun in one of these options. I look forward to seeing what you give me :)

Edited by AffectatiousDonk

From the replies I think it's safe to say OP: PW 1&2 is not a RPG and the only Warriors that is a RPG is DW: Godseekers which is a TRPG like the Fire Emblem series and Hyperdevotion Noire.

12 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I choose for you the game I used as an example, Valkyria Chronicles

I need to get back to that game and now I have one reason to and I might as get Valkyria Chronicles 4 and get the Valkyria Chronicles/Revolution series beast mode bonus.

9 hours ago, AffectatiousDonk said:

That sounds like a perfect plan. I am just looking at your profile now and it is wonderful to see so many games I have been considering Dragon Star Vanir, Trials of Cold Steel 3, Super Nep RPG, I see you even did Fate/Extella Link now I have heard this is ...... interesting. Great to see you are playing Control now, I know opinions vary on that game but I hope you find in it as much joy as I did.

Now as to what I will throw at you for this challenge. Well I notice you have no Ni No Kuni or Ni No Kuni 2 game on your profile which I feel is a travesty (also no FF12) . If you were amendable to acquiring one of these games this year I would highly recommend it. But I don't want you to buy games just for this so those 3 games are on the table (take your pick) or from your current list of games  on your profile I will go with The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (NA). I see you only did 1 trophy in it in 2016 which makes me think we feel the same way about it BUT everyone and their dog loves it so perhaps they are right and it is time.

So, what a long post, options for you

Buy - Ni No Kuni or Ni No Kuni 2 or Final Fantasy 12

or 

From your list - The Witcher.

I hope you can find some fun in one of these options. I look forward to seeing what you give me :)

Yea, there are actually a lot of games that I haven't had the chance of playing through, but as luck would have it I do own both ni no Kunis and FFXII so I'll make sure to get to them at some point.

9 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

@freddie1989I guess since I havent seen a reply from you, Ill pick Final Fantasy XIII from your profile. Let me know what you call out for me.

Sorry bud I haven't been on all weekend, I have a job interview today so my nerves are jangling a touch! I think I have dug a hole joining this as someone mentioned 45 RPGs in one competition! I think I only own about 4 right now!

Good choice as I don't own the PS3 anymore so won't be finishing that any time soon lol.

@acasser

It seems you don't exactly have much of a backlog in your trophy list ? fantastic profile btw.

Do you have an unstarted backlog list published anywhere?

I have some RPGs sat in my profile that I need to crack on with. I also have a VERY large unstarted backlog (digital and physical) so if there's any 'must haves' that you have played that you think would be worth me playing I'm open to those as suggestions.

2 hours ago, FreeSpark22 said:

It seems you don't exactly have much of a backlog in your trophy list 1f61d.png fantastic profile btw.

Do you have an unstarted backlog list published anywhere?

I have some RPGs sat in my profile that I need to crack on with. I also have a VERY large unstarted backlog (digital and physical) so if there's any 'must haves' that you have played that you think would be worth me playing I'm open to those as suggestions.

I'm a wee little OCD about finishing my games before starting new ones.  It's not 100%, but the titles in question at this point aren't RPGs.  (And yes, I do have Ironclad Tactics still staring me in the face on my console and have every intention of getting back to it.  At some point.)

I don't have a list published anywhere, and I probably can't recite the entirety of my physical backlog from memory.  But if you poke me by way of PSN, I'll be glad to write you out a list of what's sitting next to my console in physical form at the moment.  I can also highlight the RPG I'm playing first as to make it my 100th platinum, since I'll be sitting on 99 after I finish Samurai Warriors 4-II.  (Had I not managed to finally knock out the last trophy from ChimeSharp before then, I had a quick RPG to fill in that blank.)

If you've got a list of RPGs to share that you'd like me to pick something out of, I'll be glad to take a look.  Either post it here or send it to me via PSN and I'll see what I can do.

8 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

Sorry bud I haven't been on all weekend, I have a job interview today so my nerves are jangling a touch! I think I have dug a hole joining this as someone mentioned 45 RPGs in one competition! I think I only own about 4 right now!

Good choice as I don't own the PS3 anymore so won't be finishing that any time soon lol.

Sweet, good luck on your interview! I think 45 were completed last year by the first place winner, but there were a lot of visual novels too which dont count now. I have 43 RPGs sitting in my physical pile, so my goal is to whittle that down to 0 over the next 3 years. I would be very happy completing 15 this year.

16 hours ago, AdventFury said:

Hey all can we come to a consensus on Catherine Full Body. It’s obviously a puzzle based game as well as a VN but has strong RPG elements. However, it’s definitely not an easy VN platinum. 

The game has a branching story path which is the only RPG element in the game.

The rest of it is climbing puzzles with more puzzle boss battles. 

I haven't played many more recent RPG games to say specifically, but playing Catherine is definitely a puzzle-platformer.

36 minutes ago, Redbeard-Rik said:

Has anyone played Shoppe keep it's got rpg under its classes and certainly looks like it has some rpg elements. I've got it in my backlog and if it counts for this then i may start it. 

I haven't but even Burly Men at Sea is classed as an RPG on here.

So, I'd say try it and see what you think.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, AdventFury said:

Hey all can we come to a consensus on Catherine Full Body. It’s obviously a puzzle based game as well as a VN but has strong RPG elements. However, it’s definitely not an easy VN platinum. 

9 hours ago, cckerberos said:

Catherine's definitely not an easy game.

But it's not an RPG.

I don't think Catherine is much of an RPG, either.  Nor did I think so when I played the original.

Then again, I'm a bit of an elitist snob when it comes to how I define RPGs.  And perhaps we ought to have a slightly broader discussion about how we're going to define the term with this competition going forward.  Just how does everybody else define an RPG, and how lenient are you in that definition?  Because it seems to me that this site's definition is akin to giveaways on Oprah Winfrey's old show, and that seems a bit broad to me.

44 minutes ago, AdventFury said:

Lol ok I just had that on my list of games to play this year, and if I was going to invest 80 hours to platinum it I wanted to see if I can get some points for my work

It's a good game to be fair, hard work all over, but well worth playing regardless of points to be earned here.

If Burly Men at Sea counts (see link), then I am on the board.

100 + 68 - 64.62 - 0 = 103.38 points

Side note to keep within the spirit of the event, this year I am limiting that just because the site says a game is an RPG does not mean it is so. A lot of VN and other randomness seem to be under this genre. Any non-RPG that gets submitted even if it is under the RPG genre gets a 5 point penalty.  

@kingofbattle8174 I have no problem with anyone saying that this game isn't an RPG, but it literally has no gameplay similar to anything else. It is like a pick your own adventure game which is the basis for all RPG's.