What were the most Disappointing games of the last decade? (2010-2019)

ResidentDarrell

Looking to see what were everyone's most disappointing games of the last decade. They can be games you were hyped over and just didn't live up, or new things that were just not great. We discussed this on the latest episode of The Loot Bros and some interesting games were mentioned. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/16r5meioUSqoiKaU5qMiMz?si=Mw2zqR9CRMGwcwrBmeLJaw

Hitman (2016): This was a big disappointment for me, as I've been a huge fan of the Hitman series for years now. There is just no immersion to speak of in this game. Seriously, what did those Danes smoke when they thought going with Telltale's model would be a good idea for a Hitman game? The story is all cut up and lackluster without any tension due to its episodic structure. Some levels are decent, but they were ruined by focusing too much on replayability/grinding levels instead of depth. I also dislike that all the opportunities are easily tracked from the very start. I realize there is a Professional mode that disables this, but that shouldn't be required to not have the game hold your hand as if you're retarded. They pop up even if you don't track them, because they're triggered by proximity.

The guards have two voices, with one of the voices being used 90% of the time, in all missions, regardless of country. Come on, it was the Current Year+1 when this was released. Surely you can record some more voices for your game. Another note on the voices - everyone speaks fluent English with an American accent except the main targets. And I mean everyone. Moroccan shop owners, Japanese gardeners, French hairdressers. All of them. The damn receptionist of the Swedish Embassy in the Marrakesh mission can't even pronounce her own fucking surname correctly. Big fail on this title, no way around it.

Vampyr: I'll keep this one shorter. Being a huge fan of Life is Strange (not LiS2) I expected more. Awful loading times as you travel around the city and reoccurring stuttering/fps drops. Boring combat that grows stale quickly, even when making things difficult by not feeding on people. And then you just go around experiencing cringe-worthy dialogue and horrible writing, as nearly every damn NPC seems to set you up for some good ol' virtue signalling, so you can become the wokest of all the London vampires. And you did it, Jonathan Reid. Proud of you. ?

Edited by SinisterPledge
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Hitman (2016): This was a big disappointment for me, as I've been a huge fan of the Hitman series for years now. There is just no immersion to speak of in this game. Seriously, what did those Danes smoke when they thought going with Telltale's model would be a good idea for a Hitman game? The story is all cut up and lackluster without any tension due to its episodic structure. Some levels are decent, but they were ruined by focusing too much on replayability/grinding levels instead of depth. I also dislike that all the opportunities are easily tracked from the very start. I realize there is a Professional mode that disables this, but that shouldn't be required to not have the game hold your hand as if you're retarded. They pop up even if you don't track them, because they're triggered by proximity.

The guards have two voices, with one of the voices being used 90% of the time, in all missions, regardless of country. Come on, it was the Current Year+1 when this was released. Surely you can record some more voices for your game. Another note on the voices - everyone speaks fluent English with an American accent except the main targets. And I mean everyone. Moroccan shop owners, Japanese gardeners, French hairdressers. All of them. The damn receptionist of the Swedish Embassy in the Marrakesh mission can't even pronounce her own fucking surname correctly. Big fail on this title, no way around it.

Vampyr: I'll keep this one shorter. Being a huge fan of Life is Strange (not LiS2) I expected more. Awful loading times as you travel around the city and reoccurring stuttering/fps drops. Boring combat that grows stale quickly, even when making things difficult by not feeding on people. And then you just go around experiencing cringe-worthy dialogue and horrible writing, as nearly every damn NPC seems to set you up for some good ol' virtue signalling, so you can become the wokest of all the London vampires. And you did it, Jonathan Reid. Proud of you. 1f618.png

Dang, I started this one and was getting WOKE vibes. If thats the case Ill just bounce. Hitman 2016 is in my backlog

1 hour ago, Squirlruler said:

Fallout 76

Yeah I started it and didnt like it

1 hour ago, Cobby said:

Metro Exodus

Dang I started that one and it seems very Metro in the first couple hours. I really like the first 2 games

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ResidentDarrell said:

Dang I started that one and it seems very Metro in the first couple hours. I really like the first 2 games

I really want to like it, cos I love the first 2 as well. But the insane load times, the bugs, the 3 sandbox zones are boring as hell. There's no

Spoiler

paranormal angle, no dark ones,

they've just turned it into some generic survival Fallout thing and it falls way below what I expected and wanted from a Metro game honestly. The last level is fantastic I'll give it that, but otherwise.. :dunno: 

1st DLC was great too.

22 hours ago, Cobby said:

I really want to like it, cos I love the first 2 as well. But the insane load times, the bugs, the 3 sandbox zones are boring as hell. There's no

Reveal hidden contents

paranormal angle, no dark ones,

they've just turned it into some generic survival Fallout thing and it falls way below what I expected and wanted from a Metro game honestly. The last level is fantastic I'll give it that, but otherwise.. :dunno: 

1st DLC was great too.

I plan on going back to it. 

On 2/13/2020 at 7:04 AM, SinisterPledge said:

The guards have two voices, with one of the voices being used 90% of the time, in all missions, regardless of country. Come on, it was the Current Year+1 when this was released. Surely you can record some more voices for your game. Another note on the voices - everyone speaks fluent English with an American accent except the main targets. And I mean everyone. Moroccan shop owners, Japanese gardeners, French hairdressers. All of them. The damn receptionist of the Swedish Embassy in the Marrakesh mission can't even pronounce her own fucking surname correctly. Big fail on this title, no way around it. and horrible writing, as nearly every damn NPC seems to set you up for some good ol' virtue signalling, so you can become the wokest of all the London vampires. And you did it, Jonathan Reid. Proud of you. 1f618.png

Yikes! ? Hitman 2016 was my GOTY  that year, even after my icey heart thawed for it being episodic and not having a platinum.

I think Thief (2014) for me. I'm a stealth nut and this game just fell flat in terms of gameplay, story, performance and it was a painful platinum.

Edited by rotoninja

12 hours ago, ResidentDarrell said:

I plan on going back to it. 

Fair, I went back to it, like I say not the entire thing is bad, it's just dissapointing compared to the first 2 for me. Gonna be playing the latest DLC soon, which I'm hoping is similar to the first, end the game on a good note.

We'll. I think Resident Evil 6 must definitely be on this list as well as one of the most disappointing moments in these series. Its not a game I hate, it has a few things I actually enjoyed, but it has much more that I disliked, like the excess of Hollywood-based action "specially in Chris's campaign" and the lack of survival horror. Resident Evil 5 is not a good resident evil game, but as an action game at least for me is awesome, but I can't say the same applies to RE6. It's a game for 6,5 for me.

FFXV: As a long time FF fan I was really disappointed in XV, it didn't feel like a proper FF to me. It should have been called something else. There was just so many things I could complain about but that would take a whole other post.

Nier Automata: I found this game to be over rated. the graphics and gameplay were indeed amazing, but I found the story to be boring, confusing and convoluted. I also found that they could have developed and went into the characters story a bit more, and did more with the other endings. Most endings were nothing but a few lines of text, and I would have like more info on 2B abd 9S.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane trilogy: Nostalgic and my favourite childhood game, but the remake was so difficult and the trophies were insane. I was disappointed at how hard the platinums were. 

• Like 1

The game I probably got mot excited for, that failed to deliver, was Star Ocean 5. I have been a long time Tri-Ace fan, and when I heard that Star Ocean 5 was to be released for the PS4, I was ecstatic. But after release, there was some negative feedback from sources that are reliably pro-JRPG and pro-Tri-Ace. I waited for a time, but ultimately picked it up. What a piece of crap.

Another one was Dynasty Warriors 9. Again, reliable fans of the DW genre were saying negative things about the title. I was less convinced here, because DW is kind of a fanboy magnet. But man - DW9 was absolutely horrible, from voicework to graphics to gameplay. 

5 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

The game I probably got mot excited for, that failed to deliver, was Star Ocean 5. I have been a long time Tri-Ace fan, and when I heard that Star Ocean 5 was to be released for the PS4, I was ecstatic. But after release, there was some negative feedback from sources that are reliably pro-JRPG and pro-Tri-Ace. I waited for a time, but ultimately picked it up. What a piece of crap.

Another one was Dynasty Warriors 9. Again, reliable fans of the DW genre were saying negative things about the title. I was less convinced here, because DW is kind of a fanboy magnet. But man - DW9 was absolutely horrible, from voicework to graphics to gameplay. 

That's how I also felt about star ocean 3 and 4. Hard to be a fan of the series ?

The last of us.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:12 PM, BlackSnake1435 said:

We'll. I think Resident Evil 6 must definitely be on this list as well as one of the most disappointing moments in these series. Its not a game I hate, it has a few things I actually enjoyed, but it has much more that I disliked, like the excess of Hollywood-based action "specially in Chris's campaign" and the lack of survival horror. Resident Evil 5 is not a good resident evil game, but as an action game at least for me is awesome, but I can't say the same applies to RE6. It's a game for 6,5 for me.

I can see that. RE6 was off the rails to say the least. Now RE5 is one of my all time fav games. 

For me, its Metal Gear Solid V.

My disappointment stems 100% from the story. I always really enjoyed Kojima's cutscenes. I understand why the story was relegated to audio tapes, but it just felt like so much of what makes Metal Gear Solid was lost. This severely hurt the memorability of many of the characters. Skull Face was the weakest main villain in the series, all of the side characters that did not exist before are terrible and barely speak, and the returning characters all feel like they've had their personalities replaced with monotone sticks in the mud. The final 'twist' is also bad and annoying because it has massive implications for the previous games.

The game was clearly released before Kojima was ready, and that's a shame. I would have loved to see if an extra chapter could have rounded things out a bit more.

The gameplay was top notch though. No complaints in that department. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattveego said:

For me, its Metal Gear Solid V.

My disappointment stems 100% from the story. I always really enjoyed Kojima's cutscenes. I understand why the story was relegated to audio tapes, but it just felt like so much of what makes Metal Gear Solid was lost. This severely hurt the memorability of many of the characters. Skull Face was the weakest main villain in the series, all of the side characters that did not exist before are terrible and barely speak, and the returning characters all feel like they've had their personalities replaced with monotone sticks in the mud. The final 'twist' is also bad and annoying because it has massive implications for the previous games.

The game was clearly released before Kojima was ready, and that's a shame. I would have loved to see if an extra chapter could have rounded things out a bit more.

The gameplay was top notch though. No complaints in that department. 

100% agree

For me personally, No man's sky, Telltale's game of thrones, death stranding, dragon ball z kakarot, darksiders 3 and judgement. i'd say fallout 76 and shadow of war and starwar battlefront 2 but i knew before they dropped that they would be shitty and over monetized.   Oh also black ops 3 and 4

• Like 1

First game to come to mind is Just Cause 3.

JC2 blew me away when it came out with this insanely huge open world inspired by southeast Asia, with beautiful biomes and a completely open-ended gameplay loop. Hours upon hours upon hours of content, even if a lot of it boils down to blowing stuff up and finding collectibles. A hilarious over-the-top so-bad-it's-good story was the cherry on top. I still go back to the PC version every once in a while, just to cruise the islands from beach to snowy mountains to lush jungles. That shit was the bee's knees in 2010 and still holds up in 2020 (even if one could consider it somewhat mediocre compared to current year games)

Instead of making JC3, Swedish Avalanche Studios focused on Mad Max and handed the series off to a newly-founded studio of the same name in New York, staffed with what I can only describe as complete and utter morons. JC3 was a technical disaster, a glitchy mess when it launched, but what was unforgivable was the fun having been sucked out of the game; no nicely distinct biomes but a horribly dull Mediterranean sandbox, a stupid story that actually took itself seriously and thus ruined the charm that JC2 had going for it, progression locked behind mind-numbingly awful challenges, and a few extra grapple hook gimmicks to try and trick players into forgetting they were playing a game that, on all fronts, was essentially inferior to the by-then five year old JC2.

I was disgusted having paid 34 or so Euro's for a PC key, and dropped the game the moment I finished the story (at which point I reached 100% completion, in a fraction of the time it took me to get 75% in JC2). From what I've been told JC4 just went further down the shit slide, with more gimmicks to distract you (a cow gun

hahah so funny epicz f0r teh winz) from it being another technically inept product.

Yes, I am mad - very mad.

Edited by Golem25
  • Like 1

This one is a personal pick:

Destiny

Following up with Halo: Reach, their swan song to that franchise and a really great Halo too (actually all their Halos are great). I expected better from Bungie.

-Underdeveloped story

-Too grindy and repetitive to the point of being annoying

-Had a lot of potential which it did not reach

The game itself is just fine, on a technical level it can be good, the gun play can be fun at times and I dig the music. But at the end of the day and unlike their previous works, nothing about it has sticked with me aside just being another game to grab your friends on a boring Friday night to scream about while playing, or even a bigger letdown if you don't have any friends to play with.

-

That aside, I rarely get disappointed at the games I look forward to. Pretty much it comes from faith I have for the developers I respect the most.

Edited by Crzy Minus