Kill Your Completion 12

7 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Darn, cross that one off the wish list. I had high hopes for it too. Any other games you know of with similar Demo Derby gameplay, but more fun than this garbage? 

While not a pure demolition derby, Onrush is another option as well. The whole point is to smash the opposition out of your way. It was a ps plus as well so if you snagged it may be worth a try. And the platinum is not too hard. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 6:42 AM, kingofbattle8174 said:

While not a pure demolition derby, Onrush is another option as well. The whole point is to smash the opposition out of your way. It was a ps plus as well so if you snagged it may be worth a try. And the platinum is not too hard. 

It's in my library but I thought I read a review that Onrush was a glitchy mess. Did they fix it? Or am I confusing it with another game?

Decided to make a couple of changes to my lineup because I think 3 URs that are very stingy with trophies and require multiple playthroughs to complete will be a bit much.  Also since my Vita backlog is so small and my PS4 backlog is so huge, I decided to just go with 1 Vita title and 3 PS4s instead.  I'm going to swap Dark Rose Valkyrie with Hero Must Die. Again which is an anti-RPG that just came out in English on the 26th.  Never played an anti-RPG before and it sounds really interesting.  Also going to swap Stranger in Sword City with Crossing Souls so I don't have two dungeon crawlers on the list.

So my list is going to change to the following:

1. Tales of Symphonia (PS3) (done, reviewed and still working on finishing first playthrough)

2. MeiQ (Vita) (in progress, will post a review by the 10th)

3. Hero Must Die. Again (PS4) March 11th-March 15th

4. Nier (PS3) March 16th-March 20th

5. Crossing Souls (PS4) March 21st-March 25th

6. The Alliance Alive HD Remastered (PS4) March 26th-March 31st

Won't be making any further changes, but I will be adding a bonus game when Monster Viator comes out, which is likely on the 10th if it follows the usual patterns for new Kemco releases.

• Like 1

My participation might be a little off for a while. There’s been a bereavement in the family so I haven’t played any more of Beyond Two Souls since my last post and I might need to skip the next week or so ?

My next game is still Shadow of the Colossus though and I’ll post a full preview when I’m ready to jump in to it 

45 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

L2d37c7.png

Another UR plat that is very stingy with trophies so my completion is not happy with me.  This time it's a dungeon crawler called MeiQ.  The game is definitely your typical Compile Heart/Idea Factory grindy nightmare and excessive amount of fan service.  Seriously, every character in this game with very few exceptions is a big busted female whose breasts are being held up by almost nothing.  Being a female myself, I get nothing from this and am just thinking of how much back pain those poor girls must be dealing with and how they are not constantly popping out of these skimpy outfits while exploring these dungeons because seriously their breasts are held up with barely enough cloth to be called a ribbon.  Outside of the designs though, it's not an excessively fan servicey sort of game, if you want that in a dungeon crawler, I'd recommend to go play Conception II.

A friend of mine was asking me for suggestions on dungeon crawlers for PS4, that don't have any or only very little fan service. Turns out I couldn't think of a single one, as that' seems to kind of be a mandatory requirement for japanese dungeon crawlers. I wonder how much the whole fanservice aspect actualy factors in, when it comes to sales.

43 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

A friend of mine was asking me for suggestions on dungeon crawlers for PS4, that don't have any or only very little fan service. Turns out I couldn't think of a single one, as that' seems to kind of be a mandatory requirement for japanese dungeon crawlers. I wonder how much the whole fanservice aspect actualy factors in, when it comes to sales.

I wonder sometimes too, but then go look at the reviews for Nekopara on Steam and you can see that fanservice definitely has an effect since that game sold pretty well and about all it has going for it is pretty art and a lot of fanservice.  I thought the story was incredibly boring and ended up skipping the rest after a couple of chapters.  I can deal with some fanservice if the game has other elements that make it fun, like Conception II, but Nekopara is pretty much a harem anime with catgirls and I clearly wasn't the intended audience for it.

I admit, I can't think of many dungeon crawlers that lack fanservice, much less on PS4 since they are mostly a Vita thing.  The least fanservicey dungeon crawlers I can think of are Mind 0 and Ray Gigant, but those are Vita/PC games.  Demon Gaze II is the only one I can think of that may not be too bad and is on PS4, but I can only attest to the fanservice not being as clearly blatant in the first game, the sequel could well have more.

19 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Demon Gaze II is the only one I can think of that may not be too bad and is on PS4, but I can only attest to the fanservice not being as clearly blatant in the first game, the sequel could well have more.

I'm playing this at the moment and the sequel definitely has a lot more fanservice, including a maintenance "touching" minigame and dating aspects for demons.  It's needed for skills and stat upgrades too, so sadly you can't ignore it completely.  Oh and of course all the perfect touch spots are in those obvious fanservice places

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

One big thing that annoys me is that unlike most dungeon crawlers, there's no way to bring up a map and set the game to automatically travel to a certain spot.  You can view the whole map, but not any coordinates.  There also isn't a way to bring up the map and just move around on it to easily find spots you missed exploring.  The game is overall all right, but nothing special.  The combat grows tedious fast with you just using the same attacks over and over again, pretty typical for Compile Heart games, then on top of that there is a trophy for beating 30k monsters.  That and all the collection and level related trophies explains why this plat is a UR.  It's clearly a very excessive grind and will require a minimum of 3 playthroughs because there are also trophies for beating the game on each difficulty and the last one isn't unlocked until your third playthrough is completed, but apparently once you beat the game the third time you can load the save and beat the final boss again and get that trophy at least.

Overall, the game is okay.  Nothing special and there are plenty of games that do it better.  It's not terrible, just not anything special.

Probably won't play this any more today since Monster Viator came out and I am going to play that and then my next game, Hero Must Die Again.

Yeah, you can dodge a bit with only 3 playthroughs and a reload (you can chintz that rather than completing a 4th) but my problem is that you can do those 3 runs and still only have 10k kills.  Even with 30k kills for the trophy, you still may not have all the forms maxed.  This is still my benchmark for pointless grinding, even over Omega Quintet.

1 hour ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I'd recommend Stranger of Sword City for doing a good job of avoiding most of the fan service stuff, but it's Vita only and not PS4. If they have PSNow, the PS3 Wizardry title would be a good choice (haven't played it myself but friends enjoyed it).  Old Wizardry games on PC used to be great as well.

Edited by Kevvik