Value of your account and trophy list?

SuchRemorse

I was just thinking. Our profiles must have some value. We put so many hours into out accounts playing games. Some people are really REALLY good and have lots of time to play games for thousands of hours. Others go for the most difficult and rarest trophies. I was wondering what are the values of these accounts. Lets say if someone wanted to sell theirs? What would it go for? Would people look at the trophy level? The games? The Trophies unlocked? Or all the above? I don't know. It's really late right now and I was just bored thinking this. Lets say @Hakoom wanted to sell his account. What would it go for? Would anyone actually want it knowing they didn't unlock those trophies? Or would someone want it just for the rights to say they own it? And not just his account. Any accounts. Any thoughts? Or do I just need to go to sleep right now? lol

I think you should go to bed.

... kidding.

I’m not sure someone could really brag about buying someone else’s account though. Plus, Sony would most likely step in and ban it anyway if they caught wind of it.

Edited by Bliss

Just now, FawltyPowers said:

I don't see how an account has any value other than to ourselves, timestamps are your gaming history.

If you find value in having someone else's account, you're doing it wrong.

I don't want anyone else's account. I was just wondering what people thought. And people value the strangest things. I'm sure there are some strange people out there that would like to collect accounts or have the bragging rights to be the owners of the highest ranking accounts. 

7 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

I don't see how an account has any value other than to ourselves, timestamps are your gaming history.

If you find value in having someone else's account, you're doing it wrong.

Edit: Value of my account, priceless to me, junk to everyone else.

Your account is priceless? Really? No offence but you are level 27. And I don't mean that in any disrespectful way. But if someone offered you 1 million dollars for your account you would say no?You would really turn that down? If you really dedicate the time you could make a new account and hit level 27 within 1 or 2 years and be 1 million dollars richer! :) 

10 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

Your account is priceless? Really? No offence but you are level 27. [...] If you really dedicate the time you could make a new account and hit level 27 within 1 or 2 years and be 1 million dollars richer! :) 

It's taken me 5+ years to hit level 16.. ?

4 minutes ago, iXanon said:

It's taken me 5+ years to hit level 16.. 1f61d.png

I get that. I mean it's taken me 11 years to get to level 45. BUT.... Knowing what I know now I could skip some of those games on my list that took me months to get. If I would make a new account I think I could level up much faster than I originally did. I mean in the early ps3 days I played a lot of games that didn't even have any trophies. So that could knock off some time If I never played them. Or for example. I played blacklight retribution on ps4 to death!!!!! I have 100% in that game. It took me months and months to do that.  And all I earned was a few bronze and one silver trophy. That's it! No gold! No platinum! If I didn't play that game among others I could probably have an even higher level. I actually liked that game though. I would do it again. Too bad not many people played it. 

4 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

It is to me, it's took 10 years to get there. Played some extremely challenging, grindy games and all the timestamps remind me of different periods in my life and the friends I've made. Some trophies can no longer be earned either due to shutdowns. I only get a couple of hours a day to game as well. But if you're quoting a million dollars, hell yes, I'd sell it, I have a spreadsheet backup of everything 1f600.png

You probably would sell your account, all I see on there are easy games so I don't really see much value to it to be honest. Another one of those accounts I skip past when I look at it. No offence.

Yeah I hear you with the grindy games. And you are right I do have memories with the timestamps. But I will always have gaming memories. I don't need to look at something that says 4:32pm to remember that. And I hate that games have been pulled or are no longer available. That really sucks. And I too only have a few hours now to game. I'm very busy being an adult. And I don't ONLY have easy games. I do admit within the last 2 years I have played a lot more easy games than I used to. But I have some pretty good Platinum trophies. Street fighter X Tekken is a good one. That took me so long to get. And Spelunker is another one! That game was hard as Hell!!! Oh and No offence taken. I play games for me! Not to impress other people. If that was the cause I wouldn't have A lot of these games on my list. I would probably only go for the ones I had the time. Or skills to finish. My problem is I play waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many games. I bought a bunch on ebay. I would try them and if I don't like them. NEXT! Or I would just finish it if it's easy enough. If a game is super difficult it would have to be something that I REALLY enjoy to finish it and go for the platinum. I can't sit there for months anymore grinding out one game just to get a difficult Platinum on a game I don't even enjoy. 

My personal account has quite some value for me but has absolute zero value for others. For me getting all the plats in all DMC games was a very satisfying thing "spiritually speaking", but others wouldn't give a damn on what I accomplished, they would care only if they did that thing. To use the million dollars example, if some dumbass ( because honestly who would offer a huge amount of money for some platinums unless he is missing some screws) comes and wants to buy this awesome collection of achieved games for a big sum of money... sure thing brother I'll send it to you nicely packed! I'll even throw in some extra Street Fighter for good measure.

But honestly...how would you put a price label on your account? It's like selling my own opinion, which is cute looking but pointless nevertheless. It's not like I wouldn't sell it, but in a market with virtually no demand, I have no idea how to set a price for this supply. For instance I wouldn't buy anyone's account with my own money since the games themselves are irrelevant xD I would however acknowledge a person's skill in certain games, that's different.

Not sure if it makes sense, coffee didn't kick in yet.

7 minutes ago, Copanele said:

My personal account has quite some value for me but has absolute zero value for others. For me getting all the plats in all DMC games was a very satisfying thing "spiritually speaking", but others wouldn't give a damn on what I accomplished, they would care only if they did that thing. To use the million dollars example, if some dumbass ( because honestly who would offer a huge amount of money for some platinums unless he is missing some screws) comes and wants to buy this awesome collection of achieved games for a big sum of money... sure thing brother I'll send it to you nicely packed! I'll even throw in some extra Street Fighter for good measure.

But honestly...how would you put a price label on your account? It's like selling my own opinion, which is cute looking but pointless nevertheless. It's not like I wouldn't sell it, but in a market with virtually no demand, I have no idea how to set a price for this supply. For instance I wouldn't buy anyone's account with my own money since the games themselves are irrelevant xD I would however acknowledge a person's skill in certain games, that's different.

Not sure if it makes sense, coffee didn't kick in yet.

I don't think it's like selling an opinion. What about people that buy sports memorabilia? They didn't earn any of the stats the players accumulated or the skills the player has. Wouldn't this be similar in anyway? 

2 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

I don't think it's like selling an opinion. What about people that buy sports memorabilia? They didn't earn any of the stats the players accumulated or the skills the player has. Wouldn't this be similar in anyway? 

Since sports stuff is a different market altogether, not sure if it's the right comparison. Regardless, I believe there it has more to do with fame and notoriety there. For instance Hakoom's account could have actual tangible value, but not for the reasons mentioned. You are buying the account of the person who has a World Record and is Nr 1 in the leaderboards, not because he has a mad amount of games on the account. Same goes for sports memorabilia, no? 

But apart from Hakoom...I actually need to check and see who is nr 2 on the leaderboard, if you catch my meaning. But I am now curious if there are users who actually would be interested in buying accounts for whatever reasons!(not mine though lol) 

2 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

Don't people who buy sports memorabilia buy it because of their memories of a sporting event and how it makes them feel or that they support a certain team?

As you started this thread, out of curiosity, what do you think your account is worth? What would you sell it for? Do games hold a certain value in your eyes? Is it the PSN level that holds value to you or the number of platinums regardless of how easy or difficult they are?

7 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Since sports stuff is a different market altogether, not sure if it's the right comparison. Regardless, I believe there it has more to do with fame and notoriety there. For instance Hakoom's account could have actual tangible value, but not for the reasons mentioned. You are buying the account of the person who has a World Record and is Nr 1 in the leaderboards, not because he has a mad amount of games on the account. Same goes for sports memorabilia, no? 

But apart from Hakoom...I actually need to check and see who is nr 2 on the leaderboard, if you catch my meaning. But I am now curious if there are users who actually would be interested in buying accounts for whatever reasons!(not mine though lol) 

Ahhhh yes! That's exactly what I mean. The top ranking players are kinda famous in the gaming community and known to gamers. Their profiles must have some value. The world is full of billions of people and people are into all different things. I'm sure eventually there will be people interested in owning profiles. Maybe as a collector's item or something. 

8 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

Don't people who buy sports memorabilia buy it because of their memories of a sporting event and how it makes them feel or that they support a certain team?

As you started this thread, out of curiosity, what do you think your account is worth? What would you sell it for? Do games hold a certain value in your eyes? Is it the PSN level that holds value to you or the number of platinums regardless of how easy or difficult they are?

I Don't know why people buy sports memorabilia. To be honest I don't watch sports at all. And I have no interest in owning anything like that. I do get it though.. I collect some things so I can assume it's the same. But that doesn't mean other people aren't interested in it. Same as the profiles. I'm not interested in owning anyone else's profile. But it doesn't mean other people might not be interested. And I don't think my account is worth anything. I'm not near the top of the leader boards. I wasn't even talking about MY profile though. I meant the top tier profiles. And the value my profile has to me is a list of things I have and have not finished. And a basic list of the games I have played. 

I understand peoples thoughts as to accounts being so personal and you wouldn't sell them or understand why people buy them but let me just direct your attention to one of the big buying/selling account markets I remember seeing a lot when I was younger... MMOs.

People would buy/sell accounts regularly despite not being able to change their names and the accomplishments not being their own (and the high risk of bans for real world trading). It seems silly but there we go, that's a thing that's been going on for about as long as that genres existed.

While absolutely your accounts are priceless to you, and you'd probably never consider selling them I would say they absolutely have some kind of market value... I have no idea what that is though, I haven't seen anyone try to buy an account for trophies. I've seen people buy and sell unique usernames though.

It's a curious thing, some MMOs have sites that value your accounts (put in the stats, the in-game value of all your items etc.) and I've done that for some of my MMO accounts just out of curiosity with no intention of ever selling the account (though I do partially wish I sold my FlyFF account during it's peak value because I stopped playing the game long before then and I think my account doesn't even exist anymore anyway so... But oh well). It'd be interesting to just know what price-tag our accounts would have. I imagine you'd also have to factor in digital game library and stuff too, the value of the username (if any) on top of the trophies themselves.

I'd sure as hell never sell mine (okay, if you offered millions, but realistically our accounts aren't worth THAT much), but it would be cool to know regardless.

• Like 3

I don't think the trophy hunting community is going to be large enough to get collectors.

I' agree that Hakoom is probably one of, if not the most famous name in our community.

But I don't think you can really say someone is famous, if you're not pleasing a general audience like singers/actors, you're probably just "famous" for a small amount of people.

My brother for example really likes Bowling and told me about someone called Jason Belmonte recently (without telling me that he's playing Bowling first) and I had no idea who he was or what he did, my brother nearly lost is mind that I don't know him... 

I suppose if you really want to find a value then you could look at various trophy hunting services, don't they attach a monetary value to platinums?

That's probably the best way of putting a value on your account.

Also if you can't get a 100% profile that would extremely de-value your account.

Maybe @Hakoom could answer this, he must have had offers?

• Like 1

My account is just a bunch of data, zeroes and ones. Since just about all of my games are physical and I have all my saves, I’d sell without hesitation to the right offer. Probably $1,000 to be annoying enough to avoid fickle offers and expensive enough that I could repurchase anything I’d want to if I felt like revisiting it.

41 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

My account is just a bunch of data, zeroes and ones. Since just about all of my games are physical and I have all my saves, I’d sell without hesitation to the right offer. Probably $1,000 to be annoying enough to avoid fickle offers and expensive enough that I could repurchase anything I’d want to if I felt like revisiting it.

I didn't mean the games you own.. I just meant your status. Your level or your trophies. But that's an interesting twist now that you mentioned it. I guess all the digital games would add value to the accounts too. I mean you WOULD have access to them. 

30 minutes ago, Hakoom said:

priceless...

an account is only worthy to the real owner since he spent the time on it..

if i go ahead and sell my account now would the person who bought it keep up the trophy pace?

Maybe they would try. But considering you are the top of the top they would most likely fail. Or maybe some crazy person would want to buy your account to make it inactive while they try and boost their own profiles. I have no idea why someone would want to own someone else's profile. But I guarantee if you wanted to sell it for $100 someone would buy it. Someone would probably even buy your profile for $1000. That's my point with the post. Just wondering about value. Ehhhhhhh whatever lol.. It was a dumb random thought I had last time after being awake for like 30 hours. 

Edit : People value the weirdest things and I guess some people Take great pride in owning thing that have nothing to do with them. Like Back to what I was saying with sports memorable. Someone might want to own A baseball bat that Babe Ruth used. Or something to that extent. Even though they didn't hit any of the balls or achieve any of the accomplishments he did. Maybe 30 years from now you won't be playing video games any longer. Would your profile just sit in limbo and be inactive? Or would someone else own it? Or try to own it. I think I'm thinking way to hard about this lol. 

Edited by SuchRemorse
Added content

11 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

Maybe they would try. But considering you are the top of the top they would most likely fail. Or maybe some crazy person would want to buy your account to make it inactive while they try and boost their own profiles. I have no idea why someone would want to own someone else's profile. But I guarantee if you wanted to sell it for $100 someone would buy it. Someone would probably even buy your profile for $1000. That's my point with the post. Just wondering about value. Ehhhhhhh whatever lol.. It was a dumb random thought I had last time after being awake for like 30 hours. 

Edit : People value the weirdest things and I guess some people Take great pride in owning thing that have nothing to do with them. Like Back to what I was saying with sports memorable. Someone might want to own A baseball bat that Babe Ruth used. Or something to that extent. Even though they didn't hit any of the balls or achieve any of the accomplishments he did. Maybe 30 years from now you won't be playing video games any longer. Would your profile just sit in limbo and be inactive? Or would someone else own it? Or try to own it. I think I'm thinking way to hard about this lol. 

i wouldnt sell my account even if you would put a million infront of me :P

my account is like me.. would i sell myself? thats the question.. 

a bat or a stamp is totally different.. those are collectables..

a psn account from 2008~2020 with all the effort put in to it is not a collectable

• Like 2