I love my PS3, but...

TerminusCross

I have an old square flat screen TV from the early 2000's and I can't ever read text. I tried switching it in the display options, and that helps for some games, but not all. Anything with small text is unreadable, so I have to stick with games that have little text, or at least nothing important.

I'm playing Trine right now, so that works fine, ecxept I can't make the difference in between a 3 and a 5, so I never know the accurate number being displayed when I look up the stuff I collected/need to collect. Not really a big deal, but I'd love to also be able to play Sacred 2...

I know, buy a more modern TV. Imma work on it in the near future, hopefully, but it's much easier said than done. In the meanwhile, anything at all I can do? I doubt it, I tried everything I know, but just in case, I'm asking.

When I first played my PS3 I only had an old CRT flatscreen and could only display 480i through component. I found no way to make text more legible (in pretty much all games), but luckily I had my 50" plasma delivered about a week after.

So I think you might be out of luck, but the good news is newer HDTVs are much more affordable now.

I used to play my ps3 on a old fat tv and didn't care to much about it until i went over to my friends house and played on his 46" lcd tv, needless to say, once i got back home i started noticing all the flaws in SD gaming.

A month or so later i got a hold of a LG 42" Full HD lcd tv for a pretty reasonable price and it really makes an enormous difference. I suggest you buy a new TV if you have to money for it. It's well worth it :)

I'm in the exact same boat as you Terminus :( I have an old 26" Philips tv from 2003... I'll hopefully upgrade this Christmas since my mom made a suggestion about it and I can just Gamefly most games.. it definitely would be nice for sure :D

I just did a quick Google Search for LCD HDTV and there are a ton of reasonable prices out there. I'm not sure if this is for your room only or your main TV in your living room. If it's for your room go with a 30-something inch so it won't take up too much room and will still offer phenomenal graphics compared to what you have now.

I remember the days for playing my PS3 on a 36" CRT, haha. That sucked! I couldn't read a darn thing on the screen. Good luck.

Yeah, mine's an RCA from 2003 with rear projection...I've been surprised by some prices for new televisions though. Some are actually in a reasonable range. Last I looked they were all over 500. I'd love a Sony Bravia, but yeah I won't be picky. But is there some model or brand that's better for gaming than another? I was told to go against a plasma television. I really don't know anything about this stuff.

Yeah, mine's an RCA from 2003 with rear projection...I've been surprised by some prices for new televisions though. Some are actually in a reasonable range. Last I looked they were all over 500. I'd love a Sony Bravia, but yeah I won't be picky. But is there some model or brand that's better for gaming than another? I was told to go against a plasma television. I really don't know anything about this stuff.

What I've been told of plasma...

- There's burn in (if there's a still image on screen for too long it's silhouette will burn into the screen a bit).

- It uses more energy.

- It gets hotter.

I think the only real upside to plasma is that it's probably $100-200 cheaper then the same size LCD or LED TV. Though I'm sure it has it's fans that know it better than me.

My 40" Samsung Whatchamacallit in my living room has been working well.

Unfortunately the PS3 was really only meant to be played on HDTVs. I say save up for one you want and do PLENTY of research on TVs. Also don't waste your money on super expensive HDMI cables because it's doesn't make much of a difference from a cheap $10 HDMI to an expensive $70 Monster High Speed HDMI. (Ok maybe a slight difference but only if you REALLY want to spend your money on it.) I'll give you an example of a game that is a nightmare to play on a SDTV, Gran Turismo 5. The screen is extremely zoomed out, at least it has a zoom feature, but good luck reading text and don't get me started on how hard it is to race zoomed out like that, I feel like I have tunnel vision.

Aye, I'm going to have to do homework on this...I know the Sony Bravia is a pretty decent choice. Friend of mine has one, paid up to 800 for it, but that was like a year and half ago. You can get them for about 400 now, I'm extremely tempted. But I'm going to do more research.

I don't think I want a special wire or anything...I just want to be able to play games properly and be able to read. I saw some deals where a lot of TV's come packaged with extra stuff though, like those super wires.

I don't think I want a special wire or anything...I just want to be able to play games properly and be able to read. I saw some deals where a lot of TV's come packaged with extra stuff though, like those super wires.

All you're really gonna need is an HDMI cable, which basically tells your TV that your PS3 wants to make some HD magic. That can range from 10 bucks to over 100 bucks. I believe I bought some Sony brand one for around twenty. I would advise that you do a bit more research first for quality and value.

• Like 1

Monoprice.com is your best friend when it comes to buying cables - and with HDMI, it makes no real difference in quality whether you buy a cheap, $2 cable, or a MonsterTM cable for $100.

The only real difference is in build quality - so a little more expensive would be better in that sense.

The reason for the small text isn't because the PS3 was meant to be HD - it's because the game devs just don't take the time to check their games on SDTVs. It results in having text that's as clear as day on a nice 720/1080p display - but eye strain city on something 480i/p.

There's really not much you can do about it, aside from trying out some different cables to what you already have. If you're using COAX, try RCA [Yellow/Red/White], if you're using RCA, try S-Video. If your TV supports it, try Component [Red/Blue/Green/Red/White], 480p can make a pretty big difference over 480i.

But the best, most efficient solution will be to get a new TV. 720p is your best choice, unless it's a TV going in the living room and will be over 40+ inches, then I'd say make it 1080p.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the PS3 was really only meant to be played on HDTVs. I say save up for one you want and do PLENTY of research on TVs. Also don't waste your money on super expensive HDMI cables because it's doesn't make much of a difference from a cheap $10 HDMI to an expensive $70 Monster High Speed HDMI. (Ok maybe a slight difference but only if you REALLY want to spend your money on it.) I'll give you an example of a game that is a nightmare to play on a SDTV, Gran Turismo 5. The screen is extremely zoomed out, at least it has a zoom feature, but good luck reading text and don't get me started on how hard it is to race zoomed out like that, I feel like I have tunnel vision.

I like the zoom button for GT5. It really helps these old eyes see and more developers should take a moment to learn from Polyphony Digital and incorporate it in their games. I'm using a 1991 32" JVC "fatty" standard TV w/ s-video cables and don't have a problem w/ GT5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, is a completely different matter.