Which platinum is harder?

Rebourne07

Which platinum is harder?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which platinum is harder? All things considered. Comment Why.

• Metal Gear Solid 2 HD
    • Metal Gear Solid 4

Although I've got the plat for MGS2 and not for MGS4, my vote goes to MGS2.

In terms of challenge, I'd say the VR missions in MGS2 are more difficult than anything that you need to do for the plat in MGS4. That being said, MGS4 is more of a grind, requiring more playthroughs and without the variation that MGS2 gives (main game, VR missions, snake tales, etc.).

Also, I know a lot of people like myself got all of the MGS4 emblems before the trophy patch, so doing it all over again seemed like a big ask.

• Like 2

I got both and my vote is for MGS2.

MGS4 is overall easy but extremely grindy with the only hard part being the Big Boss Emblem playthrough which, if your having trouble, can be made easier if you check out the many playthroughs's there are of it.

MGS2 has the Snake Tales and replaying on multiple difficulties (with some of the bosses like the plane fight being particularly hard on the higher difficulties if you don't have a good strategy for them). But the most hard thing about it has to be the VR Missions that are a lot harder due to how some aspects of the gameplay haven't aged well, the best example are the Sniper missions where aiming the Sniper can get too frustrating since the sensibility isn't nowhere close to today's standards.

• Like 1

I'm agreeing with the comments above mine.

Even if there are also a lot of videos for the VR missions the somehow randomness let's you throw the controller. It is a hard but endurable and eventually achieveable task and on top grindy like MGS4 cause of the multiple playthroughs needed. 

I was happy that it was the first game I finished cause it should only gets easier. 

And again like the others said. MGS4 is grindy but the variety of videos out there makes it so much easier. There were just a few bosses and sections that will give you headaches. MGS2 were really more of an thinking of "maybe I will never do it". 

Not that it is an easy platinum though! 

it's still in my opinion the second hardest MGS game. 

MGS2: 8/10

MGS4: 7/10

Edited by IncreaseDark
  • Like 2

I also have to say MGS2 is the harder one. I have the plat for MGS4 but i dont have the one for MGS2 because of the VR missions. After doing 50 of them for a trophy i just didnt want to play any more of them cause theyre so random and annoying, and there are around 500 of them. Also doing MGS2 on extreme already felt like a victory for me cause of that 20 Metal Gear RAY fight. MGS4 is hard too, especially the bike chase but you have to playthrough it 8 times which is kinda tedious.

Definitely MGS2, I  gave up on  the  VR missions after completing maybe 60-75% of them and then hunting for tags even with a guide was uber tiresome. For 4 you just had to play the game really and getting the Big Boss Emblem was more of an accomplishment than platinum tbh. Also,  the controls were so much better. 

Edited by da-Noob123
  • Like 2

I gave up on MGS2 for years cause of that sniper VR mission (first of those sort of missions). After almost 7 years I try again and finally pass that BS, and when the next one appears (in theory harder than the first one), a cold sweat invaded me, but surprisingly I pass that one on second try.

On MGS4, I tried long time ago, but my no deaths run failed at the end of first act, I didn't have any save from the begining and gave up for good. Maybe now that I have the game due to PSPLUS I'll try again someday, but it's my least favourite MGS and the emblems are to grindy...

• Like 1

I have both platinums and I would say that MGS2 is harder by a considerable margin. To me, besides the inherently challenging scenarios, the difficulty of MGS2 comes down to a less modern gameplay framework, including controls and cameras. This makes the VR missions demanding in terms of acquiring a great deal of familiarity before being able to tackle them effectively. I remember MGS4 as a mostly time-consuming endeavor. 

Both are great games and deserve completion.

• Like 3

I agree with MGS2, the VR missions are a killer. The sheer amount of them took me months alone, I think there was around 500 each and I'm not a fan of challenge missions/maps.   

MGS4 was a more fun plat, 8 playthroughs might sound daunting but it's a pretty short game skipping cutscenes, so I enjoyed it each time. The Big Boss playthrough is the only real tough part.

I have a hard time giving MGS4 anything over a 6/10... 6.5 at a stretch. Boss Emblem is surprisingly lenient... only thing that really sucks hard is the motorcycle chase, but that's a given. That's one 2000s video game trope I'm glad has been mostly left to rot. Anyways, once you have those muzak tapes to bail your ass out of most tough situations, even a guy like me, who wasn't gifted with natural aptitude in frenetic firefights, can get it done.

MGS2 on the other hand, is an endless stream of one bullshit roadblock after the other. First it's the tricky tanker dog tags, then it's failing at the Harrier and RAY fights on Extreme for what feels like a million times each... THEN it's the broken bullshit that is the VR missions, especially the ones involving grenade launchers and pressure-sensitive buttons.

...That being said, given another stack on, say, the PS5, I'd probably do it again, because 83% of the time it's pretty enjoyable, and I'm an actual maniac, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. You've inspired me to do MGS4 next (Just finished MGS2 and it was hell on Earth, that's why I was asking)

I really think you will enjoy it. It is one of my favorite games. Definitely play around with the Tsunami gun. It is so much fun. For a game that was very linear it really felt like I had options. If you are going for the platinum, stay vigilant. The motorcycle part is a little frustrating on Big Boss Extreme. It is all luck. Also there are some tricks to the time runs you can find online. It will save you plenty of time. If you need any help just let me know. It's been a long time since I last played it but I might remember.

• Like 1