Mafia 1 Definitive Edition (September 25)

The only one thing I'm disappointed about, is the fact developers implemented an optional "classic mode" which used to be in the original release, only to Mafia 1 remake. I'm going to buy the trilogy and obtain Platinum trophies in all three Mafia games, but I can't imagine playing classic mode in Mafia 1 and then to jump to Mafia 2 & 3 to have "simplified" gameplay...

On 8/20/2020 at 9:50 AM, westersburg said:

We got new information yesterday about the classic difficulty. They tried to keep it similar to the OG PC Version but made the race a bit easier. They indirectly announced the first trophy: Beating the game on classic difficulty. Some key features of this mode:

- Taking significantly more damage (maybe like mafia 1 OG mode, where a shotgun blast could kill you instantly at point blank)

- health regen almost removed (only regenerates from 1-20%) and medikits restore less health. The OG one didn't have health regen at all and medikits restored various amount of health.

- driving mode is set to simulation. Looks like you can choose between arcade and simulation playstyle like mafia 2. The OG one was more simulation than arcade.

- Reloading wastes non used bullets. For example if you reload a gun with 15 rounds left, you throw away these 15 bullets. This was the same in the 2002 Version.

- Police is set to OG mode. Police will punish you for passing red lights, speeding (even if it's just 1 km/h), crashing with cars etc.

- Minimap shows less detail (no enemies) and GPS doesn't show any direction signs.

The race doesn't have the same difficulty as it had in the original version, but will be more challenging than lower difficulty settings.

Source: https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-definitive-edition-classic-difficulty/

Personally i really love the features of the mode and would have played the game this way anyways, even if it didn't include a trophy for it. Personally i don't get why people are still complaining about the race's difficulty. In the current game version (default on steam) you already have several difficulty settings which make this race super easy. I don't know the OG difficulty though. I'm up for a challenge but expect it to be easier anyways, because i've just played this race with a keyboard and not with a controller. Keyboard racing sucks.

Once they do the remastered/remaked trilogy, they should implement "classic mode" in all three Mafia games... this may cause loose of immersion once one has finished playing Mafia 1 and then is going to play Mafia 2 and Mafia 3 with a less realistic mode...

Edited by Bykovsky7
typos

17 minutes ago, Bykovsky7 said:

The only one thing I'm disappointed about, is the fact developers implemented an optional "classic mode" which used to be in the original release, only to Mafia 1 remake. I'm going to buy the trilogy and obtain Platinum trophies in all three Mafia games, but I can't imagine playing classic mode in Mafia 1 and then to jump to Mafia 2 & 3 to have "simplified" gameplay...

Once they do the remastered/remaked trilogy, they should implement "classic mode" in all three Mafia games... this may cause loose of immersion once one has finished playing Mafia 1 and then is going to play Mafia 2 and Mafia 3 with a less realistic mode...

Ok as a fan of the mafia series from the beginning, i can't really understand that problem. For me it makes no sense to implement a classic mode to mafia 2 and 3, because they didn't have that in their original releases. The industry and the game design is evolving and mafia 2 was simplified compared to mafia 1, even when it released back in 2010. But it didn't feel like a lack of continuity or less immersive. Also Mafia 2 and 3 had side activities which mafia 1 didn't have and doing several side quests with these settings in mafia 3 for example would be frustrating and a big fun killer. Mafia 2 is still not a piece of cake on hard and although it is nice to have the classic difficulty in the m1 remake, these options weren't game definining back in the days. Game would have been as good as it was even without that features. I really hope the new cast and cutscenes can hold up to the original.

Edited by westersburg

1 hour ago, westersburg said:

Ok as a fan of the mafia series from the beginning, i can't really understand that problem. For me it makes no sense to implement a classic mode to mafia 2 and 3, because they didn't have that in their original releases. The industry and the game design is evolving and mafia 2 was simplified compared to mafia 1, even when it released back in 2010. But it didn't feel like a lack of continuity or less immersive. Also Mafia 2 and 3 had side activities which mafia 1 didn't have and doing several side quests with these settings in mafia 3 for example would be frustrating and a big fun killer. Mafia 2 is still not a piece of cake on hard and although it is nice to have the classic difficulty in the m1 remake, these options weren't game definining back in the days. Game would have been as good as it was even without that features. I really hope the new cast and cutscenes can hold up to the original.

Okay, there is some truth in your words, I can agree with most of them. however, still it could be only optional... with no trophy requirements. 

At least they could implement optional highway code features, like it is a part of Mafia 1 classic mode - red lights, speeding, crashing with cars etc. 

Edited by Bykovsky7

I'm speechless. This remake is just gorgeous, I can't wait to play it. The only thing that bugs me a little is this floating destination marker. I really hope they make it an option to turn it off.

Other than that I really like what I'm seeing. Good job, H13!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gewehr_FR said:

Honestly faces had more personality in the original version than in the remake, despite the moc-cap.

I'm looking forward to it but I prefer to keep my expectations low.

Um what? In what world is the original, where you couldn’t see any expressions on their faces have more personality than a remake 18 years later with far better faces? Sounds like you might be blinded by some nostalgia. Game looks great, can’t wait to play it.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

Yeah, game looks great but faces are so off... and voices too. Paulie is just... meh. Original was way better in this segment. And since the animations are so super fast and just the same as in Mafia 3,  dunno, it just doesn't click with me, but oh well...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woggly4 said:

I'm speechless. This remake is just gorgeous, I can't wait to play it. The only thing that bugs me a little is this floating destination marker. I really hope they make it an option to turn it off.

Other than that I really like what I'm seeing. Good job, H13!

Yeah i got chills when i saw the intro remake. AsexyBiscuit streamed the game for over 4 hours. I'm glad that i liked what i saw, but hate myself for spoiling me so much haha. (not too bad, because i played the original) They changed a few things in the level design here and there, but i liked these changes. Can't wait to finally play it on september 25th. This is a childhood dream come true. The only thing i don't like is the fact that you can only carry one pistol and one rifle. One rifle is fine, you could holster just 1 rifle in the original, too, but you should be able to carry more pistols. Guys have pockets...

To the voices and faces. They should've stayed more like the original faces and should have kept the original voices where it was possible. Czech voices stayed the same. They should have done it for other languages (in my case german) as well.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 1

AsexyBiscuit streamed the game for over 4 hours. I'm glad that i liked what i saw, but hate myself for spoiling me so much haha. (not too bad, because i played the original) They changed a few things in the level design here and there, but i liked these changes. Can't wait to finally play it on september 25th. This is a childhood dream come true.

Haha, yeah, same! I watched the complete livestream and couldn't stop because I was so excited about it. And there is a lot more to see when we finally play it. However, I think I won't spoiler myself by looking up the trophylist once its out. I really hope they have more "alternate endings" like the one after the Fairplay mission. When AsexyBiscuit checked Luca's after A trip to the country, there really was a little green marker on the minimap, I'm excited to check all that stuff in the other missions on my own without prior spoilers.

They should've stayed more like the original faces and should have kept the original voices where it was possible. Czech voices stayed the same. They should have done it for other languages (in my case german) as well.

Unfortunately only a few voices are still available in German, Salieri's voice actor died and some others retired. I'd rather have a new dubbing than having mixed old/new voices. If it were possible to keep at least the main characters I'd agree. But in this case I prefer a new dub - I really hope I don't regret that opinion. :D 

17 minutes ago, woggly4 said:

Haha, yeah, same! I watched the complete livestream and couldn't stop because I was so excited about it. And there is a lot more to see when we finally play it. However, I think I won't spoiler myself by looking up the trophylist once its out. I really hope they have more "alternate endings" like the one after the Fairplay mission. When AsexyBiscuit checked Luca's after A trip to the country, there really was a little green marker on the minimap, I'm excited to check all that stuff in the other missions on my own without prior spoilers.

Unfortunately only a few voices are still available in German, Salieri's voice actor died and some others retired. I'd rather have a new dubbing than having mixed old/new voices. If it were possible to keep at least the main characters I'd agree. But in this case I prefer a new dub - I really hope I don't regret that opinion. :D 

They published a cast list a few weeks ago. None of them was in the original. There are a few still in the business or at least alive. Tommy definitely (old voice of tom cruise), vincenco (voice actor currently appeared in several games) and probably even more still active.

I'm very hyped for the trophy list. Now since free ride is confirmed as a seperate mode, im curious to know if there are any trophies similar to my own created trophy list :D

Edited by westersburg

1 hour ago, Cleggworth said:

Apologies if this has already been answered but does anyone know if the physical edition of the trilogy contains all 3 games on disc?

It hasn't been answered yet but i assume it won't. You can't buy Mafia 2 Remastered on disk either so i think mafia 2 and 3 will be download codes