Microsoft, Take-Two, EA, and Activision interested in Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment acquisition

DEI2EK

Microsoft, Take-Two Interactive Software, Electronic Arts, and Activision Blizzard have all expressed interest in a potential acquisition of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, the games division of Warner Bros., according to The Information, which cited people familiar with the matter.

However, Warner Bros. parent company AT&T has yet to decide whether it will sell the business, but is weighing the possibility in order to pay down its $154 billion in debt, The Information said. Investment bank LionTree is reportedly helping AT&T field interested parties, but no deal is currently imminent.

If this is the case, we could potentially be seeing Rocksteady games, Lego games and Mordor/Monolith games be PC/Xbox exclusive.

Thoughts?

Source

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/report-microsoft-take-two-ea-and-activision-interested-in-warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-acquisition

• Like 1

I'm disappointed at the lack of Looney-Tunes games now that I know Warner Brothers has a games division.

At most, I think the games would be timed exclusives. No one is picking an XBox because of a LEGO game and they would lose the Playstation revenue from those games.

Microsoft does have fuck you money and can do whatever they want but I feel as their first party game studios have grown fast and they need to manage what theyve got before grabbing for more, we havent even seen what most of their new acquisitions are working on. I think either 2K gets it, AT&T doesnt sell, or THQ Nordic comes in to absorb the studios into their hive conglomerate, setting the record at 10 billion active games in development

• Like 1

Still really early & just rumors at this point but my question is other than Mortal Kombat you’re just buying studios really right?  You don’t just get to own Batman now, you basically have to now license all these properties now & all the issues that come with it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

I'm disappointed at the lack of Looney-Tunes games now that I know Warner Brothers has a games division.

At most, I think the games would be timed exclusives. No one is picking an XBox because of a LEGO game and they would lose the Playstation revenue from those games.

Those games arent system sellers...sure...but a host of exclusives can sweeten the sale when someone is trying to decide what system to buy.

I mean when 90% of the games are on both system for some people it comes down to which will offer the most different experience.

• Like 1

This is just a big business move done solely to gain more property... perhaps to drive the established IPs in the ground so they can work on a new IP that will eventually fall to the same fate.

EA's track record is not a happy one. Westwood Studios, Maxis, Bullfrog Studios and several others all fell through once EA gained control of them. The company that made The Sims is long gone, but the series still continues to garner fans with The Sims 4. I have absolutely zero interest in that game, compared to the standards the original game set it is a piss stain, and all EA wants is profits.

Microsoft made the poor decision to port all their exclusives to Windows, so there is virtually next to nothing on their consoles that you can't just find somewhere else. Take Two, EA and Activision are all greedy bastards looking to gain acquisitions, just look at how Blizzard Entertainment has gone since Activision merged with them.

They're no better than Google. It's just big business and corporatism as usual. Doing things by the numbers basically.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

I could see AT&T holding on in the end. The asking price is large for a gaming studio and while Microsoft could handle the acquisition no problem, they've also just picked up several studios and don't seem to have the slightest idea what to do with them yet and would better off managing what they already have before adding another acquisition. They think simply buying up studios will give them the edge against Sony when it's more nuanced than that

Thoughts are your reading too much 

On 7/6/2020 at 2:53 PM, DEI2EK said:

Microsoft, Take-Two Interactive Software, Electronic Arts, and Activision Blizzard have all expressed interest in a potential acquisition of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, the games division of Warner Bros., according to The Information, which cited people familiar with the matter.

However, Warner Bros. parent company AT&T has yet to decide whether it will sell the business, but is weighing the possibility in order to pay down its $154 billion in debt, The Information said. Investment bank LionTree is reportedly helping AT&T field interested parties, but no deal is currently imminent.

If this is the case, we could potentially be seeing Rocksteady games, Lego games and Mordor/Monolith games be PC/Xbox exclusive.

Thoughts?

Source

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/report-microsoft-take-two-ea-and-activision-interested-in-warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-acquisition

thoughts are your not reading this Thur!! They won’t own the ips! Just publishing rights! So, all the games will still come to all consoles... as I stated they won’t own the ips! You think LEGO will have this happen to give the ips license to Microsoft lol come on man! It’s about making money the ips are not for sale! ? no way in hell that will ever happen

On 7/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, thinktank79 said:

Still really early & just rumors at this point but my question is other than Mortal Kombat you’re just buying studios really right?  You don’t just get to own Batman now, you basically have to now license all these properties now & all the issues that come with it?

Yes, they won’t own the ips! All the games will still be on all consoles they just have pubishing rights! Like Minecraft. Cause the ips are not for  sale.. which they can mess them up or what ever .. but they won’t own the ips!! 

Edited by Titanomachy_75