What Horror Game Still Scares You?

Kristen Danielle 2

1 minute ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I haven't played that one since I wouldn't be able to play the second one (I'm a Christian), but I heard it was pretty intense. That would have scared me, too! My mom loves to come in my room at the worst moments.

I've barely touched the second game, but the first is really worth the play as is the Whistleblower DLC. Don't you love when mothers just pop in at the worst moments like that? 

PT had me a little sweaty at time as well, as did RE7. I see the trend for me is definitely first person horror games. I mean the classic moments from old RE games got me back in the day...dogs bursting through the windows in RE, surprise Hunter launching itself at me and taking my head, the arms bursting through the boards in RE2, but nowadays I don't find those sort of games scary anymore. I really want to give RE7 a proper go in VR, but I just get a bit dizzy after a few minutes...same with Skyrim VR. 

2 minutes ago, Ayoama said:

I've barely touched the second game, but the first is really worth the play as is the Whistleblower DLC. Don't you love when mothers just pop in at the worst moments like that? 

PT had me a little sweaty at time as well, as did RE7. I see the trend for me is definitely first person horror games. I mean the classic moments from old RE games got me back in the day...dogs bursting through the windows in RE, surprise Hunter launching itself at me and taking my head, the arms bursting through the boards in RE2, but nowadays I don't find those sort of games scary anymore. I really want to give RE7 a proper go in VR, but I just get a bit dizzy after a few minutes...same with Skyrim VR. 

I'd be wayyy too scared to do that in VR. I have diokophobia, so being chased by anything— even if it means me no harm— scares the pants off of me. lol

I hate when a thing that want to kill me follow me in the games and the factor point is I can't do nothing or defend myself just escape so of course games like Outlast or right now Outlast 2 get me out of my nerves, don't matter if I already know the game layout I still feel panic when things are chasing me.

In general games where I can't defend myself and also things chase me scares me a lot

Bwt I trusth and and have faith in god so it's call my attention why you say you can't play it? (Just curiosity don't answer if you don't feel so or want and sorry if I shouldn't ask).

Edited by NordicSaiyan

28 minutes ago, NordicSaiyan said:

why you say you can't play it? (Just curiosity don't answer if you don't feel so or want and sorry if I shouldn't ask).

I just don't like the imagery is all. Outlast 2 kind of takes a shot at Christianity as a whole. Even the title has an upside down cross in it. lol A better way of phrasing it is that I simply don't want to play it.

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I'd be wayyy too scared to do that in VR. I have diokophobia, so being chased by anything— even if it means me no harm— scares the pants off of me. lol

Oh well definitely avoid all games I just mentioned, haha. 

I don't scare easily, but I get a kick out of it when it happens. It's the same with horror movies. Very rarely will something scare me, but when it does I go from "SHIIIIT" to "HAHAHA THAT WAS AWESOME!!!". What do you call a person like that? Nutjob? Haha

It's a real shame that things fell apart before PT could fully materialise. If the demo was any indication of what we were in for.....oh my! 

5 hours ago, Kuzigari_ said:

The Rule of Rose. My dad would give me a bunch if random ps2/gameboy games whenever he came home from deployment and this game was one of them. The monsters never scared me back then but the little girls always creeped me out. I recently discovered I still had the game when going through my routinely ps2 nostalgia phase and played it. Its not a good game and it hads horrible controls but I still feel dread and get creeped out everytime I have  see the girls. 

Game is excellent, you cannot say that game is bad because it had bad controls lol, whatever you mean by that? Fighting is maybe a little clunky but that's that.

Anyway, SIlent Hill 1/3 > Siren > Outlast > Amnesia

I absolutely agree with you on the Resident Evil remake.

Even on my easy difficulty playthroughs I would think to myself “please don’t touch me!, please don’t touch me!, please don’t touch me!” as I ran through hallways. Not to mention the stress build up of the speed run playthroughs and the invisible enemy run.

Just thinking about it stresses me out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ptirle said:

Game is excellent, you cannot say that game is bad because it had bad controls lol, whatever you mean by that? Fighting is maybe a little clunky but that's that.

Anyway, SIlent Hill 1/3 > Siren > Outlast > Amnesia

Maybe saying its a bad game is too much. I liked the game, the story was good and kept pushing me to finish it and the ending was great. However the combat was more than a little clunky imo, the wacky hit detection/hitboxes especially during the boss fights made it a chore to get through for me. If it wasn't for the story, wanting to know how it ends & the excellent soundtrack I wouldn't have finished it. 

34 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I still have to do those. I'm not exactly looking forward to them. lol

???

I wish you good luck on your journey

don't worry about them much, if you’re used to the controls then they’re not as difficult as they sound

RE7, Bioshock and Dead Space.

Personally I think changing RE to first person was a genius move. Not everyone liked it so maybe the next RE could be played in first person or third person. 

Bioshock because the underwater setting made it truly feel like you were trapped and there was nowhere to run.

Dead Space was scary because.... well it was Dead Space. An absolute classic.

1 minute ago, reiner- said:

RE7, Bioshock and Dead Space.

Personally I think changing RE to first person was a genius move. Not everyone liked it so maybe the next RE could be played in first person or third person. 

Bioshock because the underwater setting made it truly feel like you were trapped and there was nowhere to run.

Dead Space was scary because.... well it was Dead Space. An absolute classic.

I prefer the half and half kind of look that RE2make had. It was technically third person, but over the shoulder instead of seeing the character's full body.

For some reason, I find Outlast too frightening.

I find their stalkers way more frightening than, for example, Alien Isolation's alien. And I got AI's platinum twice.

I haven't a problem with Silent Hill atmosphere, even if it's a bit similar with the insane and brownish oxid like atmosphere.

And yet, I cannot play with Outlast.

Is it because their traits are so human (that's basically what they are, not monsters) while they overpower the player?

Whatever it is, is uncomfortable as hell.

And the asylum atmosphere gets me too inmersed in it. It doesn't help that my father wasn't precisely sane, and he was an abuser.

Edited by Ekir

5 hours ago, Ekir said:

And the asylum atmosphere gets me too inmersed in it. It doesn't help that my father wasn't precisely sane, and he was an abuser.

I understand. I never was a fan of asylums being used in horror games to begin with, as I have mental health diagnoses myself (OCD, ADD, and anxiety) and I feel that it contributes to or perpetuates the stigma surrounding mental health issues.

• Like 1

Alien Isolation, no doubt.
Can't say whether it was pure fear that I experienced, or just an overdose of exteme tension. I think it was probably the latter; That game never seems to give up, and that's why I will probably never finish it (that, and it being a rather long game anyway). 
Still, I will keep the game just on the off chance that I suddenly have an urge to jump back in.

Interestingly, I really liked Outlast. I played through the game and the DLC in big sessions, alone, with headphones on, and in the dark. It's a bit creepy, but it wasn't scary to me so much. As far as Outlast 2 goes... I played the demo and that was enough. 

Edited by Kiaranseanjay
  • Like 1

I played very few horror games. but I'm sure which one I should put in the first place: Outlast II during the Messiah run. No matter hiw many times i played (and memorized) every pitch black corner of the game and I practiced on Nightmare difficulty. The permadeath without checkpoints and only one battery (actually 3/4) was really insane: even during the simplest chases or the quiet moment before them, my heart started beating faster. :S The chapter 4 with heretics and bloody rain was the worst experience in this game. The insane run in the first Outlast wasn't bad as the one in Outlast II.

And second place to Alien: Isolation. At least you have checkpoits, but the Xenomorph adds a lot of anxiety while you're slowing exploring the space station, looking for collectibles and keys. I remember I was slowly walking, hearing the Alien crawling in the vents and doing noises. I was sure he'd gone in the opposite direction, I turned around the corner... And I saw him! :jaymon: I didn't hear him coming down! And I slowly walked back, hiding under a table!