Platinum Rant

Herbset

On 20/10/2020 at 0:03 PM, GeT_pOmpeLT said:

I really don't understand why so many people have problems with Mahjong. It's a complicated game, no question. But you really only need the basics. Watch this video and you will understand. It's not that hard.

To be honest, mahjong seemed like a major hurdle at first, but after actually coming to grips with the rules and practicing for a while, I found that I actually really enjoyed it.

(That said, I can read Japanese, so I might have an unfair advantage ?)

Regarding Yakuza 0 as a whole, yeah, some of the minigames can be really hard (namely the baseball one and all of the arcades), but I don't think any of them is at a level that's just absolutely impossible for a regular Joe like me. You just need some patience. It did take me 3 months to get through, but I did get through it and there was no minigame that just took me forever to clear. It's actually one of those Platinums that you can be proud of after getting it.

• Like 1

I've done Yakuza 0-4 so far and the series is fantastic. I would say the games are a much bigger grind than they are difficult.

I think the problem for some people is that the mini-games are just so different from each other. You really have to learn a completely different set of rules and motions for each one. There are a few things that are pure luck, like getting a specific hand in Mahjong, but I equate it to just grinding for a rare drop in an RPG.

However, I do agree that the level of bitching is quite high when it comes to the mini-games.

The master tip from someone who has almost every platinum (I'll come for you now Y3!) is never spend more than a couple hours doing the same thing. Every game is rich in a lot of ways, so you could just go finish a couple substories and play some karaoke which is one of my favorite minigames. If you have trouble with ultimate/climax battles, first, search a video guide, then if you don't make it, play another game for a couple days. Your brain will search ways to implement those visual references with your skills and that takes time. But my ultimate tip is never give up. It's likely that something will give you trouble but never be discouraged! Ranting on the internet will just increase your frustration, so never do that until you finally got what you want. It's possible that once you achieve your goal, your rant is not necessary anymore.

Finally, it's shame the other thread was closed. I wanted to say that I agree with the last take: catfight minigame is trash because it's RNG based with little strategy. But it doesn't matter now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Katt said:

catfight minigame is trash because it's RNG based with little strategy. But it doesn't matter now.

I’m probably exaggerating, but I would honestly say it has zero strategy. If you DO end up winning, there’s an occasional chance that the enemy will actually get up and knock you out in one hit. I don’t know what strategy they were trying to implement, but I just cannot see it. They probably got distracted somehow. ?

Edited by FearElemental
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 3:00 AM, enaysoft said:

The Japanese version of Yakuza 3 on PS3 is practically impossible due to the Answer X Answer minigame which unlike games like Buzz, it is impossible to pause the game and look up the answers, it's also filled with really tough questions in Japanese and unless you've lived in Japan most of your life, you can't easily guess the answers.

I couldn't even do it even with my then Japanese girlfriend helping out.

Also if you tie with the AI which is likely, you lose when it is a draw. And I swear the AI cheats, always gets its final answer correct when you are winning.

Cherry on top is the question system, you have to win 5 times on each type of round, and it's like trying to boost the Dead Rising 2 online TIR minigame. You have to play rounds 1 and 2, just to get to round 3 or 4 and then found out, it's not the mini game round you wanted to play, so you frequently have to quit out wasting 5-10 mins just to reach the round you need.

On two of the Answer X Answer minigame, I had 1/5 and 0/5 despite trying for days. I flukily won once but you need to win 10 times in total.

I could not even do Golf or Mahjong either but I decided to try the hardest minigame first, the quiz game and then after failing that, just instantly gave up. I also could not do that final challenge where you had to protect that AI guy in his pants who would die in one hit. The other Yakuza games are a doddle compared to Yakuza 3 which is a shame because Yakuza 3 the game is actually my favourite overall.

AnswerXAnswer's only saving grace is that the pool of questions is somewhat limited. I was eventually able to get through via some specialized knowledge, memorization, and luck.

Anyway, I made a post on reddit a couple of years ago ranking the Yakuza platinums in terms of difficulty and time needed, so I might as well repost the list here:

1. Yakuza 3 (123)

2. Yakuza 5 (197)

3. Yakuza 0 (143)

4. Yakuza Ishin (116)

5. Yakuza 4 (125)

6. Yakuza 1 HD (21)

7. Yakuza Kiwami (69)

8. Yakuza Dead Souls (73)

9. Yakuza 2 HD (51)

10. Yakuza Kiwami 2 (56)

11. Yakuza 6

The only one I've done since is Judgment, which I guess I'd rank somewhere around Ishin.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

AnswerXAnswer's only saving grace is that the pool of questions is somewhat limited. I was eventually able to get through via some specialized knowledge, memorization, and luck.

Yeah, being able to read and write Japanese, memorise some general knowledge and have them memorised in your head/ quick notes that you can easily refer too within a few seconds. That's a pretty tough task, JUST FOR ONE MINI GAME! :)

Well done to you for managing to do that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fr though Mahjong is just garbage. Even when you understand the rules, it doesn't take a genius to realise 'Oh look, the AI has Riichi and we've only had 3 turns. This is fair, I'm sure that the computer didn't just deal itself another killer hand' seriously I've been at this shit for 3 hours and I've barely made any progress. The past 6 times I've got Riichi, it either ended up in a draw or somebody else stole it. Now I'm not gonna say 'let me fucking win one for a change', but maaaaaaybe it wouldn't be terrible if... I dunno... one of those 6 times resulted in the only human player actually winning? Would that be so horrific??

They could at least put some music or something on in the background, the tedious monotony is putting me to sleep.

Edited by JEDLander
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 7:21 PM, JEDLander said:

Fr though Mahjong is just garbage. Even when you understand the rules, it doesn't take a genius to realise 'Oh look, the AI has Riichi and we've only had 3 turns. This is fair, I'm sure that the computer didn't just deal itself another killer hand' seriously I've been at this shit for 3 hours and I've barely made any progress. The past 6 times I've got Riichi, it either ended up in a draw or somebody else stole it. Now I'm not gonna say 'let me fucking win one for a change', but maaaaaaybe it wouldn't be terrible if... I dunno... one of those 6 times resulted in the only human player actually winning? Would that be so horrific??

They could at least put some music or something on in the background, the tedious monotony is putting me to sleep.

Wanna hear a funny thing? I got Double-Riichi in one of my games (it's same as Riichi but you're not allowed to discard a tile, basically having a ready hand at the beginning of the game) and still lost.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 2:00 PM, XxIsa-GxX said:

Wanna hear a funny thing? I got Double-Riichi in one of my games (it's same as Riichi but you're not allowed to discard a tile, basically having a ready hand at the beginning of the game) and still lost.

The closest I had to that was in Kiwami (so glad I have to do all this shit again) I had a full-straight, with the three red dragons. Called Riichi with about 45 left, would probably have gotten me the Haneman as well, and got Ronned with 4 left. I turned the game off.

On 11.11.2020 at 5:21 PM, JEDLander said:

You know that the PS4 is capable of playing music on Spotify or a USB stick, right?

And, I wholeheartedly agree that the catfights tournament is one of the most bullshit RNGfests I've ever seen. There's literally nothing you can do to help your chances, even the mashing thing seems to be RNG.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vintage_Davis said:

You know that the PS4 is capable of playing music on Spotify or a USB stick, right?

And, I wholeheartedly agree that the catfights tournament is one of the most bullshit RNGfests I've ever seen. There's literally nothing you can do to help your chances, even the mashing thing seems to be RNG.

I hated every single bit of that JCC minigame... MesuKing in Kiwami also had the similar concept too but it was way more bearable and enjoyable because you could find the patterns more consistently and some of the skill cards actually helps out too.

Edited by XxIsa-GxX
MesuKing in Kiwami*

1 hour ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

MesuKing in Kiwami also had the similar concept too but it was way more bearable and enjoyable

I'm yet to play through Kiwami, so I hope the minigames are at least a bit less RNG heavy ?
I'm at ~96% completion in 0, and honestly it's not as bad as it seemed to be, though I'm yet to learn how to play Mahjong.

7 hours ago, Vintage_Davis said:

I'm yet to play through Kiwami, so I hope the minigames are at least a bit less RNG heavy 1f605.png
I'm at ~96% completion in 0, and honestly it's not as bad as it seemed to be, though I'm yet to learn how to play Mahjong.

It’s about the same in my opinion. What gave me trouble was getting 950 in Karaoke and the shootout on Legend difficulty. Fantasy Zone is what gave me trouble in this game and I nearly dreaded seeing it back in Judgment.

• Like 1

I have the platinums in every yakuza game excluding 5 remaster (still have to get to that...) and none of them are all that hard. You just have to have dedication. 5 took forever but I did it all through PS Now. Same with 4 on PS3. Ishin was the longest for a Japanese language game that I did, followed by 7 and then 1/2 HD. Puyo puyo in judgment was really annoying but I can't think of anything THAT hard in retrospect. The yakuza series is great and the platinums can be in reach for everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only played Yakuza 0 up to this point and gotta say: I really didn't mind the minigames.

At first I had trouble with the disco minigame because I didn't get the right timing down. After some practice I almost breezed through them.

I learned the basics of Mahjong by reading the guide on this site and watching some youtube videos. Got the completion requirements done without problem.

I already did both disco and Mahjong on Legend to stack up on collection points. In my opinion all of the minigames have to be approached with patience......and some also depend on luck.

Winning a fight in Catfights only for the opponent to stand back up insta-killing me was quite hilarious.

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 1

They are tough as hell but definitely possible.

For Yakuza 0, I had to study mahjong online and become a master at it. Disco and catfights were super frustrating but doable with a lot of practice.

For Yakuza 3, pool and golf minigames are pure nightmare. Biggest problem is that there is no room for mistakes. You have to be extremely stubborn. Still, if I could do it twice on two different accounts at the age of 14, I believe you can do it as well ?

I'm yet to finish Yakuza Kiwami 1. I started it but lost interest, will come back to platinum it for sure. The biggest challenge is probably the car chase and final fight on Legend difficulty.

Edited by Amonares

5 minutes ago, Ember-Man said:

For Yakuza 3, pool and golf minigames are pure nightmare. Biggest problem is that there is no room for mistakes. You have to be extremely stubborn.

I keep hearing this from people who got the platinum in it. Kinda curious now^^. Also heard something about the sensitivity being messed up in the PS4 version when it comes to pool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.11.2020 at 3:00 PM, XxIsa-GxX said:

Well I just got a full straight riichi which resulted in a draw. Now that's funny.

https://imgur.com/a/aTSxcBS

• 1 year later...

Going to resurrect this thread and say that Yakuza 0 will probably be the longest, most tedious platinum I will be aiming for.

Nobody doubts the story because it is simply excellent. Some great memorable characters, some humorous moments and some great fights. I made another save for Legend difficulty, just barely into it and it doesn't seem that bad, probably because I'm at the start of the storyline. People keep saying the shootout in Chapter 13 is difficult, but if I was able to get thru Uncharted 2 on Brutal difficulty and Spec Ops: The Line on FUBAR difficulty, then that shootout shouldn't be anything I haven't already done before.

The real challenge here is the minigames. Some of them are absolutely aggravating. I managed to platinum two separate MLB the Show games, where the game mechanics for the sport of baseball are very fine tuned. Here in Yakuza 0, I'm actually struggling to do the baseball minigame.

Disco takes A LOT OF PRACTICE to nail down. Even worse is the fact you have to beat out your opponents who make doing any song on Hard difficulty a cakewalk in comparison. Your inputs and button presses need to be exceptional, screw up one or two times during the song and you basically fail. So disco, while it looks great and is actually a lot of fun in real life, is frustrating here in Yakuza 0. Karaoke in contrast is much easier for me. 

The Climax Battles don't seem too bad. If you did those combat challenges in Batman Arkham games then you can get adjusted to the Climax Battles, although a few are rather tough.

Not much more I can say. I'm roughly 60 hours or so into the game, I can't tell because my in-game timer says 110 hours played even though I was idling. Realistically I'm not even halfway finished with Yakuza 0.

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Going to resurrect this thread and say that Yakuza 0 will probably be the longest, most tedious platinum I will be aiming for.

Nobody doubts the story because it is simply excellent. Some great memorable characters, some humorous moments and some great fights. I made another save for Legend difficulty, just barely into it and it doesn't seem that bad, probably because I'm at the start of the storyline. People keep saying the shootout in Chapter 13 is difficult, but if I was able to get thru Uncharted 2 on Brutal difficulty and Spec Ops: The Line on FUBAR difficulty, then that shootout shouldn't be anything I haven't already done before.

The real challenge here is the minigames. Some of them are absolutely aggravating. I managed to platinum two separate MLB the Show games, where the game mechanics for the sport of baseball are very fine tuned. Here in Yakuza 0, I'm actually struggling to do the baseball minigame.

Disco takes A LOT OF PRACTICE to nail down. Even worse is the fact you have to beat out your opponents who make doing any song on Hard difficulty a cakewalk in comparison. Your inputs and button presses need to be exceptional, screw up one or two times during the song and you basically fail. So disco, while it looks great and is actually a lot of fun in real life, is frustrating here in Yakuza 0. Karaoke in contrast is much easier for me. 

The Climax Battles don't seem too bad. If you did those combat challenges in Batman Arkham games then you can get adjusted to the Climax Battles, although a few are rather tough.

Not much more I can say. I'm roughly 60 hours or so into the game, I can't tell because my in-game timer says 110 hours played even though I was idling. Realistically I'm not even halfway finished with Yakuza 0.

For the baseball minigame look at Kiryu not to the ball. Have your cursor on any square where the ball will fly (all of them are written in a guide). When Kiryu stops swinging with the bat THIS is the time where you have to press X.

The climax battles were ok. Annoying was the last Ultimate Battle. You will find out why, don't want to spoil anything.

A trophy which you will hate is the "Cat Scratch Fever" trophy because this and Pachinko are the worst mini games in the series but Idk If the Pachinko was in Y0 too

And don't underestimate Chapter 13. I thought the same but this section is not hard because it's hard, it's hard because it's totally cheap and the annoying thing about this part is. YOU ALWAYS have to do the main hall fight BEFORE you can do the highway sequence. It was really annoying

On 1/8/2022 at 2:30 PM, AJ_Radio said:

You should definitely stop all your minigames so far and finish off Mahjong, Baseball, Pool and Disco first, if you can get those out of the way then you'll get Platinum.

I made the mistake of doing all the minigames and leaving the hardest few till last on Yakuza 3, which I couldn't do.

Meaning that I wasted about 2-3 weeks, to then fail at the final hurdle so I had no trophies at all for all the other minigames up till that point, for the other 98% of the minigames.

19 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

You should definitely stop all your minigames so far and finish off Mahjong, Baseball, Pool and Disco first, if you can get those out of the way then you'll get Platinum.

I made the mistake of doing all the minigames and leaving the hardest few till last on Yakuza 3, which I couldn't do.

Meaning that I wasted about 2-3 weeks, to then fail at the final hurdle so I had no trophies at all for all the other minigames up till that point, for the other 98% of the minigames.

I don't think pool is as bad as some people say. Lucky for me I actually enjoy the game of baseball, so getting that one out of the way won't be the worst thing here.

Disco is surprisingly hard for me. Sometimes the button commands come far too quickly and you need to press the buttons JUST RIGHT otherwise you will fail. The developers of Yakuza 0 intentionally made it impossible to beat Miracle Johnson (Michael Jackson) in that one substory but you were never tasked in doing so. The score requirements for some of the songs on Hard difficulty seem to be too much.

Mahjong is pretty much every other gamers nightmare, so like most people I'll probably have to spend several hours just to learn how to play the damn game.

I didn't have much issue with baseball or disco. I was very afraid of Mahjong, but it was honestly pretty fun to learn the basics and do the cp, save for maybe getting that Full Straight. The biggest offender of this platinum to me was definitely the Cat Fight trophy. Winning 10 tournaments was complete hell. Fuck the cheating cpu in those fights. My fingers got so sore from all the damn mashing which I didn't even win most of the times because the AI makes it literally impossible for a human to. I'm working on Kiwami 2 right now but I still going to make the claim that this has to be the worst minigame of the series. There is a similar one in Kiwami but it is nowhere near as irritating.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I don't think pool is as bad as some people say. Lucky for me I actually enjoy the game of baseball, so getting that one out of the way won't be the worst thing here.

Disco is surprisingly hard for me. Sometimes the button commands come far too quickly and you need to press the buttons JUST RIGHT otherwise you will fail. The developers of Yakuza 0 intentionally made it impossible to beat Miracle Johnson (Michael Jackson) in that one substory but you were never tasked in doing so. The score requirements for some of the songs on Hard difficulty seem to be too much.

Mahjong is pretty much every other gamers nightmare, so like most people I'll probably have to spend several hours just to learn how to play the damn game.

I wish people would stop ragging on Mahjong ?. Mahjong is my favourite minigame in Yakuza. Because of Yakuza, I downloaded a separate Riichi Mahjong app. Yes the RNG can shaft you at times but it's still a great minigame and none of the requirements around it have ever caused too much of a problem.

I also enjoyed disco and this can be easily accomplished with practice.

Baseball, again, just takes practice and timing, the same with pool. 

I do agree that you should get them out the way as soon as possible though. I've platted all the mainline Yak/Judgment games (inc Fist of the North Star), the first being Yakuza 3. I'd heard how the pool had prevented the plat for many so I made a beeline for it as soon as I could. Once that was out the way the rest was relatively easy. So I continued that approach throughout the series.

Catfights on the other hand, is by far the worst minigame in any Yakuza game. It's just awful on pretty much every level. Best thing you can do is get it out of the way as soon as possible.

Edited by Artty44
  • Like 1