Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

12 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

Thank you for sharing your story and uniquely qualified perspective.  May I ask what prompted your decision to change?

Many posts in these threads advise gamers to stop hording easy plats, and I wonder if they are effective or ignored.  Seems that a person only corrects an unhealthy lifestyle due to a traumatic moment of self-awareness, not because a stranger says "You should stop drinking so much/overspending your budget/cheating on your spouse/stacking EZPZ games."

Rewind five years ago, before you decided to quit -- how would you have responded if people admonished you for region/platform-stacking Steins;Gate?

I had actually started posting vids on my YT channel that may shed more light on why I quit (was debating on a series for that as well as some 'fun' looks at the state of trophies now and in the past. Its not all going to be trophyy content but trophy and achievement systems in general and more analytics on gaming and lessons I learned... Some might find it interesting but PLEASE don't bring drama posts.... Intent is to be helpful, insightful, get people to think... some are just for fun too. Like this latest one 

Actually final years I was trying to tell people not to play those games but played them myself (was thinking then I could be noticed more and get word out buuuuut was just hypocritical. Many Reasons though including politics, feeling like all my efforts were continually getting devalued, competing with teams, OCD and compulsion, not wanting to promote it and many more. Also I was not having fun. Was a chore I was spending time and money on. Oh and it was making me super negative and I hated that feeling .... And at this point I sort of just want to make something positive and helpful.

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I can sort of see where Unknown is coming from. Five years ago the easiest platinums were those Japanese visual novels for the PS Vita that you had to physically import from Japan, which was very costly and only people who had lots of money could afford them.

The trophy hunting community is noticeably different now than it was five years ago. I can understand people at the top stacking easy games, but I don't understand why people at my world ranking are doing it.

Yeah everything is soooo different now. Guides, plat times, just everything really. I sort of feel that way too... like unless you are like #1-2 no one is going to see your profiles (or very few) you have to game for yourself and not compare to others. Unfortunately I think many see those at the top and do it cause they are...but I understand to a point as I used to LOVE trophies and that is probably the feeling newer players still have in getting fast plats. But my favorite trophy memories were not doing the EZ ones but games prior to me skipping VNs and the bigger JRPGs and such

• Like 3

14 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

Thank you for sharing your story and uniquely qualified perspective.  May I ask what prompted your decision to change?

Many posts in these threads advise gamers to stop hording easy plats, and I wonder if they are effective or ignored.  Seems that a person only corrects an unhealthy lifestyle due to a traumatic moment of self-awareness, not because a stranger says "You should stop drinking so much/overspending your budget/cheating on your spouse/stacking EZPZ games."

Rewind five years ago, before you decided to quit -- how would you have responded if people admonished you for region/platform-stacking Steins;Gate?

Steins Gate is worth respect and deserves all the support it can get unlike those 1$ to 10$ steam  garbage flooding psn.

Edited by Nelson_Otaku
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Nelson_Otaku said:

Steins Gate is worth respect and deserves all the support it can get unlike those 1$ to 10$ steam  garbage flooding psn.

I agree, but from high completion games (Terminator Salvation) to region/platform stacks (Sound Shapes) to visual novels (Steins Gate) to minutes-per-plat (My Name is Mayo), the boundary of "easiest" will continue to descend.  Each step downward is accompanied by criticism that these games devalue leaderboard positions.  I wondered what prompts a leaderboard competitor to abandon chasing easy plats, and [EDIT] how much peer pressure contributed to the decision.

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 2

I enjoy an easy platinum,  grabbing some now before taking on the life stealing platinum.

Meh precious life stolen...snuffed out by challenges that require excessive attention. 

I say get what you want,  easy platinums are just cute breaks from the monotony. 

Edited by Sassy_Hekapoo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

I wondered what prompts a leaderboard competitor to abandon chasing easy plats, and [EDIT] how much peer pressure contributed to the decision.

There are actually both sides to it. You have a group that does not like those fast plats but when you are high up you are in a peer group that encourages you to keep going.... whether they are secretly miserable or not who knows, maybe they are still having fun with it

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Unknown_v2_0 said:

Yeah everything is soooo different now. Guides, plat times, just everything really. I sort of feel that way too... like unless you are like #1-2 no one is going to see your profiles (or very few) you have to game for yourself and not compare to others. Unfortunately I think many see those at the top and do it cause they are...but I understand to a point as I used to LOVE trophies and that is probably the feeling newer players still have in getting fast plats. But my favorite trophy memories were not doing the EZ ones but games prior to me skipping VNs and the bigger JRPGs and such

I understand Hakoom is a father, has a kid and wife, yet still spends a significant amount of his time and life on trophies.

I'm fully aware there are plenty of people on here older than me who are now fathers. They finished school years ago, have a career and thus don't really have the time for gaming and thus trophies like they used to when they were younger.

I was pretty reckless in my college years. Sat and ate junk food while I wasted away precious time in my life playing World of Warcraft, among other MMOs. We can't change the past, but looking back, I put myself in that hole I dug myself into.

Your first few trophies and platinums will always be significant. I'm at the point now where trophies sort of give me a 'meh' feeling. Unless they're something notable, like Max Payne 3, getting that platinum gave me a rush I haven't felt in several months. Perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong games, I need to challenge myself more.

I no longer get much satisfaction from EZ games. The Bunker is one of those rare exceptions, enjoyed the story and the FMV of the game. I don't feel much if everyone else gets what I got. I try to some extent, be one of the select few who tries to challenge himself, I just don't overdo it.

10 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

I agree, but from high completion games (Terminator Salvation) to region/platform stacks (Sound Shapes) to visual novels (Steins Gate) to minutes-per-plat (My Name is Mayo), the boundary of "easiest" will continue to descend.  Each step downward is accompanied by criticism that these games devalue leaderboard positions.  I wondered what prompts a leaderboard competitor to abandon chasing easy plats, and [EDIT] how much peer pressure contributed to the decision.

The standards got lower over time. I find it amusing that Hannah Montana is now considered a medium difficulty level game, because it's old and was released during the early days of trophy hunting.

We went from Terminator Salvation to ZJ the Ball. Times have changed, and the trophy hunting community has changed over the years as well.

17 minutes ago, Unknown_v2_0 said:

There are actually both sides to it. You have a group that does not like those fast plats but when you are high up you are in a peer group that encourages you to keep going.... whether they are secretly miserable or not who knows, maybe they are still having fun with it

I'm sure everyone at those high positions get peer pressure. But I don't understand why there are people at my ranking playing all those EZ titles. The only reason I would play all those games is to chase the leaderboards, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Your first few trophies and platinums will always be significant. I'm at the point now where trophies sort of give me a 'meh' feeling. Unless they're something notable, like Max Payne 3, getting that platinum gave me a rush I haven't felt in several months. Perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong games, I need to challenge myself more.

I no longer get much satisfaction from EZ games. The Bunker is one of those rare exceptions, enjoyed the story and the FMV of the game. I don't feel much if everyone else gets what I got. I try to some extent, be one of the select few who tries to challenge himself, I just don't overdo it.

The standards got lower over time. I find it amusing that Hannah Montana is now considered a medium difficulty level game, because it's old and was released during the early days of trophy hunting.

We went from Terminator Salvation to ZJ the Ball. Times have changed, and the trophy hunting community has changed over the years as well.

I'm sure everyone at those high positions get peer pressure. But I don't understand why there are people at my ranking playing all those EZ titles. The only reason I would play all those games is to chase the leaderboards, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Yeah I am trying to make sure people are at least having fun with their gaming and aren't playing games or doing unhealthy habits just cause someone at top of leaderboard is doing it or cause others are ... they should consider if they are truly having fun  or its due to peer pressure etc. partly why I creating the V2 crew concept.

Even the face of PS games has changed since the early years of trophies and trophies in many of the newer AAA games are easier. Have a vid recorded that i'll release soon showing the growth over time with some data and evidence to back it up and projections for the future....things gonna get even scarier ....

Got to the point nothing was giving me much satisfaction finishing it , even great games.... they just turned into a rushed chore so I could move on to the next one.. rushed all dialog, tried to get through via glitches or fastest builds etc. completely warped gaming for me to the point i was just playing trophy lists and avoided many games...Yeah new community got in when there were already all these 10 min plats so that is all they know...wonder how many new people actually think the top leaders have high plat counts coming in seeing how easy it is to get a plat... not like years ago when 12 hours was fast....

Bunker is medium diff now i think lol

Edited by Unknown_v2_0
  • Like 2

Zj the ball is going to be a big problem. "Videogames releasing every Sunday morning", same as any economy, the leaderboard is going to get inflated every week, and for the look of it, these christian guys might be able to do it for years (more if people keep buying their games while thinking they are brainwashing children into their cult en masse).

I don't understand the process for a game to get a platinum, but it sure is easy nowadays.

The only easy plats I have are my name is Mayo and maybe one or 2 others I may have bought when easy plats first started. But it was mostly becuase easy platinums never existed and everyone was on the easy plat train. Now I think the main issue is how much garbage is on the store now. 

Personally I don't care if you go for easy platinums for whatever your reason, I still go for only games I like and or difficult. I just don't like the easy platinums becuase the games are absolutely shit. It's some flash game you would ignore back in 2005 or something. 

Now Everytime there is a sale you have to shift though all the shit that's marked down $0.50 or something to find a game you actually want that's cheap. The store also is starting to look a little too much like steam with all it's shovelware. I'd rather Sony had a quality standard like before but I guess these garbage games bring in some money.

• Like 1

I've come to the point I just don't bother with easy trash anymore and these ZJ junk is the turning point for me. I've done my fair share of 1hr platinums even the last couple of months I used a bunch to boost my trophy counter or get specific milestones I like.

A few years ago Ratalaika was the king of trash plats but some of those games were actually games and I used them to boost my rankings on here. I always had the goal to reach #50 on my countries leaderboard (Netherlands).

Seeing I dropped 4 spots from 53 to 57 again made me wonder how is this even possible.

Then I looked up some people above me and well.. Pointless and I don't care anymore ?

213123.png

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 0:52 AM, Deluziion90 said:

A few years ago Ratalaika was the king of trash plats but some of those games were actually games and I used them to boost my rankings on here. I always had the goal to reach #50 on my countries leaderboard (Netherlands).

Indeed, many of Ratalaika's games are short, simple, mindless, but still quite a bit of fun. And there's plenty of 'real' games in their collection.

I'm happy floating around #300. My goal of staying above #1000 is quite sustainable.

Kudos to you for getting that high on the board. Koekje erbij? "Want a cookie?"

Seeing I dropped 4 spots from 53 to 57 again made me wonder how is this even possible.

Then I looked up some people above me and well.. Pointless and I don't care anymore 1f605.png

So that's what? 8 Euros for 8 platinums in uhh.. half an hour?

What a bargain! What a points gain! What a waste of money and time...

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 10:45 PM, Radgeck said:

Zj the ball is going to be a big problem. "Videogames releasing every Sunday morning", same as any economy, the leaderboard is going to get inflated every week, and for the look of it, these christian guys might be able to do it for years (more if people keep buying their games while thinking they are brainwashing children into their cult en masse).

I don't understand the process for a game to get a platinum, but it sure is easy nowadays.

It looks like the New York Stock Exchange. 

I’m not against easy games with a platinum. I’m against hack developers who sell an exceptionally bad game for the sole purpose of making quick easy money, which is exactly what ZJ the Ball has done. 

We’ve gone from video games made by people who had a passion to selling a live service. AAA games have been live service for years, but these bottom of the barrel EZ games is sinking to a new low. 

On 9/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, CsGetDegree said:

The only easy plats I have are my name is Mayo and maybe one or 2 others I may have bought when easy plats first started. But it was mostly becuase easy platinums never existed and everyone was on the easy plat train. Now I think the main issue is how much garbage is on the store now. 

Personally I don't care if you go for easy platinums for whatever your reason, I still go for only games I like and or difficult. I just don't like the easy platinums becuase the games are absolutely shit. It's some flash game you would ignore back in 2005 or something. 

Now Everytime there is a sale you have to shift though all the shit that's marked down $0.50 or something to find a game you actually want that's cheap. The store also is starting to look a little too much like steam with all it's shovelware. I'd rather Sony had a quality standard like before but I guess these garbage games bring in some money.

The price tag is what entices people. TellTale Games probably wished they could sell their episodic series where each episode had a platinum. They might still have more people playing those games. 

I've come to the point I just don't bother with easy trash anymore and these ZJ junk is the turning point for me. I've done my fair share of 1hr platinums even the last couple of months I used a bunch to boost my trophy counter or get specific milestones I like.

Then I looked up some people above me and well.. Pointless and I don't care anymore 1f605.png

213123.png

Started to get more into real life achievements than virtual ones now lol Always went for what i like only and will continue to do so,

except im going to be even more picky now, Sony clearly did make things worse like rising the Platinum points from 180 to 300

so these ton of shovelware going to inflate the leaderboards even more all thanks to Sony ~_~

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

14 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Only complaint I have is that we aren't seeing enough easy games.

Should be more in each genre.

But 2D platformers are so easy to make!

Unless you're extremely interested in seeing more of that "Hentai vs Evil" stuff. It's either low-poly, over-saturated colors or copy-paste textures.

Then again, "Alien Invasion" types wouldn't be that much harder to create.

3 hours ago, Shikotei-kun said:

But 2D platformers are so easy to make!

Unless you're extremely interested in seeing more of that "Hentai vs Evil" stuff. It's either low-poly, over-saturated colors or copy-paste textures.

Then again, "Alien Invasion" types wouldn't be that much harder to create.

Happy to see anything pop up. Can't go wrong with more game choices.

On 19.9.2021 at 0:52 AM, Deluziion90 said:

213123.png

This is exactly why i couldn't care less about trophy leaderboards... No hate, but wasting my life "playing" shitty "games" for online points, that's dumb to me. But so is running, and people also seem to enjoy that :D 

37 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

This is exactly why i couldn't care less about trophy leaderboards... No hate, but wasting my life "playing" shitty "games" for online points, that's dumb to me. But so is running, and people also seem to enjoy that :D 

Running has a point. You get exercise, you live longer, you are more physically fit. Unless of course, you are just being sarcastic. Likewise, I think Yoga is completely stupid, but that's just me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People can do whatever they want but when I look at someones profile and I see easy game platinums and 6 stacks of the same game, I don’t bother looking at it anymore cause I know they are a numbers kind of person. I’m all about the type of games you platinum and the trophy %%. Getting 6 platinums on the same game and beating a game that takes 5-30 mins takes no skills at all. 7 year old with daddy’s credit card could do it. That’s why the top of the leaderboard means nothing now a days. You can be at the top with good platinumd games but they get overwhelmed with trash. You do you but it is breaking or it already has broken the trophy system. Getting a platinum use to be a big thing to be proud of, hearing that noice and everything about it. Easy games years ago were 8-10 hours long, (King Kong, Hanna Montana etc) I wish it was still like that. Yes I’m all about you doing your own thing but if these games didn’t have platinums nobody would be buying them.. which is what they should do, atleast not over 5 hours of content doesn’t deserve a platinum. Yes some easy games with platinums are fun and enjoyable and I’m all about that. My profile is base on good decent games I enjoy and love to play. Like these people that play the same game six times, you can’t tell me you enjoy that.. Everyone has there own way of what a “true trophy hunter” is and this is mine. Also, I’m all about buying games “on sale” if it’s the weekend blockbuster sale or the monthly deals but lately it’s like dumpster diving to find something half decent.. Smh?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 2

The point about making a shite game but have an easy plat to make money is probably the most valid point to this topic. This could lead to a dogshit dev company actually taking more coin than a AAA or big indie house company that have to work thousands of hours to build a project they hope gamers like and in return bring money to the business to keep everyone employed and make a great portfolio. If you can generate that kind of revenue from being shite then its clear as day they're just there to abuse the system and take from the gullible. Now you could say well its down to the people to buy into it and you're 100% correct, but you also have to look into what other businesses are like. 

We saw it in the movie industry and then in the gaming industry where why try something new, when we can make the same as the other guy or re-release what we already released a few years back. Success can either create completion or fear in businesses, and if someone latches on to someone making good money by doing shite quality, then we're all fucked. 

I remember when gaming was known for having its bugs and glitches (its not a new thing, they've always been there) and when gaming aimed to hit the mass market I was buzzing because there was no way the general public mass would stand for broken products on the day they purchase them. Low and behold the mobile telephone industry went through the roof and all were buggy as hell on release and the mass had to just put up with it if they wanted the product. Its like the gaming industry looked at this and thought 'you know what, just throw it out, see what happens and if we get enough complaints we'll look into fixing it later. 

All one can do is vote with their wallet.

Don't buy the craptastic pile of trophyware (even lower than shovelware), and support good/actual games.

AAA is screwing folks with microtransactions, pay-to-win, day-1 DLC (or pre-release DLC), pre-order items... you name it.

Indie devs are still on a hit-or-miss region (and mostly always stay), so when they DO release an indie-darling be kind and support.