Is this game enjoyable?

Alex_R-13

The ultimate edition is currently on sale for 11€ and I was wondering if the game is actually fun? Looking for a racing game while waiting for the ps5 and GT7 lol. Also, I don't mind the around the globe trophy as I went through much more hideous grind (looking at you, CarX Drift Racing). 

How does it compare to e.g. Project Cars 3, if anyone played both?

Meh, I'd say yes but actually no. The game begins as quite enjoyable, there are a lot of very different cars to drive and the career is quite long. But soon you'll run into the following issues which will make the game a lot less enjoyable:

- Very few circuits and most of them are city tracks (personally I hate them)

- The driving model kinda sucks, kerbs seem to be made of soap or ice

- It gets repetitive after a while

- The NASCAR trucks kinda thing

- Around the Globe

So I'd say for 11€ it could be worth it, it's a long game and will give you a long play time despite getting repetitive. Keep in mind the platinum grind is basically 100 hours going around an oval or afking with a turbo controller for 160+

• Like 1

I am with the other replies

Its not a bad driving game engine and the graphics are ok, but once you get past the initial enjoyment of a competent racing game it becomes repetitive and quite dull. Its at that point that the stupidity of the grind for around the globe sinks in and you might regret having started it. 

Its a decent price but I felt it was rather soulless.

• Like 1

I played both games. Grid has better graphics. And I liked it more.

Project cars had big bugs and I don't know have they patched it. when i played it, patches made just more problems. whole game was a mess. If you have played any other pcars they are more realistic and way better.   

I got bored of it pretty quickly to be honest, probably after about 5-6 hours.

The game looks pretty enough, and handles fine. It just lacks the soul that old Codemasters games had (the original Grid, Dirt 2 for instance).

I just think codesmasters are phoning it in now, I feel the same way about Dirt 5. Soul-less

• Like 2

I am nearly done with career and I am bored honestly. Always the same tracks, nothing really different happens other than using other cars, I don't know I think there's something missing there to make the game less repetitive. And I haven't even started grinding the Around the globe trophy...

On 10/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, Juxta-Dowgle said:

I got bored of it pretty quickly to be honest, probably after about 5-6 hours.

The game looks pretty enough, and handles fine. It just lacks the soul that old Codemasters games had (the original Grid, Dirt 2 for instance).

I just think codesmasters are phoning it in now, I feel the same way about Dirt 5. Soul-less

The numbered dirt games are souless, theyre designed for the typical 'everyone' to draw the casual gamer to the franchise so its just another easy arcade racer youve played a hundred times before, the other Dirt franchise tho, different story. Buy Dirt Rally 2, turn off all assists n i guarantee you youll be hooked for a while

• 1 month later...
On 13.12.2020 at 8:24 AM, dannyswfc9 said:

Its one of the most boring racers ive played. Huge step down from autosport. 

Project cars 3 with all its faults as the more fun gameplay

I agree with Grid Autosport. This crap feels worse than Grid 2, with some driving aid permanently intervening. In Autosport I was able to go left/right how I wanted to, here: brake, turn, accelerate - Game: "let's go straight!". I played with ABS, traction control, stability control at 0-5, and I've also set steering deadzone to 0%.

It's just extremely boring. Driving speed also feels super slow, I often check the HUD (speedometer) and am surprised how it says 100-150kph when it feels like 50-75kph.

Game might be even worse than ... Street Outlaws ?

edit: jk, it's not worse. But except from lookin' pretty, there's nothing interesting here. 60 cars, 13 tracks, and a boring presentation (Autosport: 78 cars, 22 tracks, mixed events). Might be just me but watching the credits in Autosport felt rewarding. In Grid 2019 I feel just empty after winning all races, probably will feel even emptier once the grind is done.

edit2: I forgot, in Autosport there were upgrades for the cars, plus you could change the wheels/rims.

Edited by Cloud_SOLDAT

• 4 months later...

High praise, comparing it to Grid: Autosport and *still* being worse… ‘cause Grid: Autosport imho was a huge soul-less grind, boring af. I also bought Grid: Ultimate Edition (Grid: We Totally Didn’t Rip This Out Of The Game First For More Cash Edition) for next to nothing and for that money, I’d say it’s still a tough sell. At least I knew what I got myself into. I’ll do about 2 races tops before calling it quits for the day, it’s that boring. 

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I am trying out all the games from EA Play and this has the same problem as Codemasters' Dirt 4 - driving is fun, cars are nice and plenty, you can choose either arcade style or simulation (I guess), but there is way too few tracks and it gets old FAST. And while I lasted until the stages got really tedious in Dirt, here I gave up after finishing the first race class. It was an absolute blast for first few hours but then it just keeps on doing the same thing over and over again. Game is a huge, boring grind and don't let me get started on platinum and the retarded around the world trophy.
Try it out if you have EA Play and don't mind incomplete title on your profile, but I wouldn't spend money on this or aim at platinum, no matter how easy it is.