PS3 Password No Longer Works

BlackSquirrell1

Hi everyone! I just created an account to tell my experience, perhaps it will be useful for anyone (using a forum on 2021 is kind of weird for me). So i had the same issue, and what I did for solving is login to https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ . Then I went to Account Settings / Security / Device set up Password . This is my first ps3 (yes in 2021) so aparently the first time you login your psn id account to a ps3, psp or ps vita you have to enter a system created password one time on the console, then once login you can change to your regular one. It's too much for a user to ask for sure, but It worked for me and I hope It will work for anyone else.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 8:06 AM, Baka_Marimo said:

I'm only seeing this thread now but I had the exact same issue with my PS3 a few months back and the device password is what solved it for me. Log in at https://id.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/signin/ and go to Security. If you don't have 2-Step Verification enabled you will have to do that now because otherwise the Device Password menu won't even show up. Click on it and just follow the instructions and your PS3 will be back online in no time 1f642.png For me my original password still doesn't work but the device password will keep working indefinitely and you can have it filled in automatically just as with your original password.

I know you posted this awhile ago but you sir, are a fucking GOD. I've literally been stuck on this on my old account for 2 months & now it happened to my main account & I started panicking. The dumb ass 2step system they have don't very well on PS3 & I spent the last 2 hours looking for solutions & yours helped me out a lot! Wish I could give rep more than once to a singular comment!  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Same experience with needing the device setup password as above, but I also was trying to purchase stuff on my PS3 on psn, and it said my password was incorrect whether I used my password, a new password I created, or a device setup password. 

If you want to buy something on psn a PS3, it appears you have to disable the "Require Password at Checkout" option you can set on profile management on the PS3 outside of the PSN Store.

On 18/12/2020 at 10:26 PM, BlackSquirrell1 said:

So, dusted off the old PS3 and tried to log in.  No go, wouldn't recognize the password.  Of course, the password works fine on the PS4 and PS5.  Noticed a few years ago an update come out and people had the same problem.  So they were able to do the online chat and fix the problem.  But I noticed the online chat no longer seems to be available, and I really don't want to come up with a new password.  Anyone else have this problem and do you have an easier solution?

This keeps happening to me.

Just keep inputting the "wrong" password on PS3 and it will eventually recognize it.

I use: Web Store, Android App, PS4, Vita and PS3. PS3 is the only one I have this problem with.

I know this because I have been asked to change my PSN password twice on Vita in the last six weeks, which results in a massive pain in the arse.

9 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

This keeps happening to me.

Just keep inputting the "wrong" password on PS3 and it will eventually recognize it.

I use: Web Store, Android App, PS4, Vita and PS3. PS3 is the only one I have this problem with.

I know this because I have been asked to change my PSN password twice on Vita in the last six weeks, which results in a massive pain in the arse.

It's only going to get worse because Sony couldn't care less about the PS3 and Vita. I'm just thankful I can still play games and sync my trophies on these systems.

I've been having the same problem on one of my systems. I even changed password, then it worked to log in once, but failed immediately the second time :facepalm:
I think it's just another hickup and eventually you'll get going. This, alongside no purchase button and long stretches of 80710016 errors (which you can bypass if you continue to attempt logins for a while) shows some pretty scary neglect of the platform 

• 2 months later...

I've encountered this error today on my main account only on PS3. Subaccounts work fine, and I can log into PSN 

I got the issue after I was logged out of the PS App and the app asked for dual factor authentication, even though I didn't set it up on my account. 

I will try out the solutions. 

Hi everyone, so I was going to play on my ps3, turned it on, enter my user, but, when I tried to sign in it said "Your password is incorrect". Has this happened to any of you? I am really scared because this might be a hacker alert, shoild I turn the 2 step verification on? If so how can I? I can't seek to find how anywhere. Anyhow, I managed to enter by changing my password, but the problem is that if this is a hacker attack it could happen again ?

Also, before playing on the ps3 I was perfectly able to play on the ps5 since I was playing it 10 minutes ago. Also also, this might be a stupid question but, due to changing my password, do I have to log in again on the ps4 and 5? Thx ?

Edited by BatCarlitos310

6 minutes ago, CouponKarl93 said:

That’s crazy because it happened to me too but only way it worked for me was by adding two step verification on and entering in device setup password for ps3 and vita 

Did you change your password? If so that sounds weird, I hate that there is not much information about this online ?. How did you put the 2 step verification btw ??

7 hours ago, ThePsychDr said:

Go to http://idp.sn/device-password and login. Click generate new password and use that as your login password on the PS3.

BatCarlitos wrote that two factor authentication is not activated. 

Detailed explanation, machine translated:

Multifactor authentication (2FA) is solved differently for the PS3, PS Vita, PSP and some mobile phones than for the PS4. For example, if you want to register your own PSN account with activated 2FA on a PS3 for the first time, you need a "device setup password". You can then use your account password to log in as usual.
1.In order to receive this "device setup password", you have to log in using 2FA on this page:

account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/login.action
2. After logging in, click on "Security" on the page that has now appeared.
3. Then click on "Device setup password" (bottom right in the right window, is quite well hidden).
4. The "Device Setup Password" page appears and should ideally be empty.
5. Click on "Create new password"
6. "Your device setup password:" will be displayed later >> You will now use this "device setup password" to register your PSN account on the PS3 instead of your normal PSN account password.
7.If you are now logged on to the PS3, you can press "Done" on the page where your "device setup password" is written.
8. If you now update the "Device setup password" page several times, a date should be visible under the "On device" entry.

Edited by Geridian
Info
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BatCarlitos310 said:

Did you change your password? If so that sounds weird, I hate that there is not much information about this online 1f641.png. How did you put the 2 step verification btw 1f605.png?

No I didn’t have to but I had to do the method others have posted on here and other forums it’s only happening to me with ps3 AFAIK.

Edited by CouponKarl93

On 12/9/2021 at 5:16 AM, Horizon6077 said:

I know some people who are getting this error too lately. I don't understand why you have to set up a device-setup password if you don't even have 2-step activated (which is required)

Neither i but it seems we have no other choice.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:49 AM, CouponKarl93 said:

That’s crazy because it happened to me too but only way it worked for me was by adding two step verification on and entering in device setup password for ps3 and vita 

Me too i ve changed my password but after a couple of days i got same error message when trying to log in, so i did what user aK1RALE0 said and so far its working. I cross my fingers it won't happen again in the future.

On 18/4/2021 at 2:01 AM, aK1RALE0 said:

Hi everyone! I just created an account to tell my experience, perhaps it will be useful for anyone (using a forum on 2021 is kind of weird for me). So i had the same issue, and what I did for solving is login to https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ . Then I went to Account Settings / Security / Device set up Password . This is my first ps3 (yes in 2021) so aparently the first time you login your psn id account to a ps3, psp or ps vita you have to enter a system created password one time on the console, then once login you can change to your regular one. It's too much for a user to ask for sure, but It worked for me and I hope It will work for anyone else.

Thats exactly what i have to do to be able to sign in again with my main account, in the 9 years i spent with my ps3 never had this issue. Things are getting worst every year that passes for the ps3 and old PS systems.

I can login only to the PSN through console with my current password, but the rest, like changing payment method, changing profile info and all those account stuff that normally require you to input password displays my password is wrong (but it isn’t, it works on the website).

I don’t want to turn on two step verification for a console. Getting smses on my phone everytime I login or do anything on ps3 is super silly. Why PS4 think it’ś good is beyond me.

10 minutes ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

I can login only to the PSN through console with my current password, but the rest, like changing payment method, changing profile info and all those account stuff that normally require you to input password displays my password is wrong (but it isn’t, it works on the website).

I don’t want to turn on two step verification for a console. Getting smses on my phone everytime I login or do anything on ps3 is super silly. Why PS4 think it’ś good is beyond me.

You don't get any texts to your phone for 2FA on the ps3 once you set up the device setup password the first time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

Well, it’s not like I got this account just now, and from what I comprehended from the posts above „ if you want to register your own PSN account with activated 2FA on a PS3 for the first time”… well, I am not setting up the account for the first time. So what an exisiting user can do?

Once you activate 2FA on the website, you go to the security settings and select to the option to create a device setup password for ps3 and or vita. It replaces your normal psn password on those systems as they don't natively support 2FA. The only times you get a text is if you enter the wrong password

• Like 2

I see, so afterwards I use the „new password” - the device password and forget my old one, yes? Whether it’s loging to psn on ps3/psp console or on the website.

I think I’ll give it a try. Perhaps it even help to fix my ps store issue.

I wonder how do you guys know all of this. Sony didn’t say anything about such changes for PS3/Vita. I think that two step verification was always there but since it wasn’t necessary most people skipped it. Now it’s mandatory O_o

• 2 weeks later...