Turrican Flashback has savestates which disable trophies

You

According to this video anyway:-

As Sylvanticore points out though, this is no hamster arcade archives and savestates can't be used to get the trophies.

Unusual to see Ratalaika games in the title credits at the very start.

I wonder what the cheats are.

Watched a bit of the video and already having nostalgia trips, Still can't believe these games are 30 years old. I honestly feel old.

Edited by enaysoft
Sylvanticore has better eyes than me :)
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, you're right. Bummer. Serves me right for skipping through bits of the video and missing some crucial information just at the right moment. I edited my original post, thanks for pointing out that :)

Turrican 1 was a bit too hard for me as a kid. Turrican 2 I was able to do several times, although not played it for a very long time. Never played the other two.

Edited by enaysoft

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

Oh yeah, you're right. Bummer. Serves me right for skipping through bits of the video and missing some crucial information just at the right moment. I edited my original post, thanks for pointing out that :)

Turrican 1 was a bit too hard for me as a kid. Turrican 2 I was able to do several times, although not played it for a very long time. Never played the other two.

That's good so you'll be able to do I and II more easily and you don't need to play super turrican at all for the platinum. Just I, II and Mega.

My pre order for the physical copy shipped today!

I haven’t played Turrican 1 and 2 since the early 90’s on the Amiga so I’m really looking forward to this!

I’ve never played Super or Mega either.

Regarding the trophies, am I right in thinking they’ll only unlock in a single playthrough with no cheats or saving involved? This could be tough! I also don’t remember secret bosses and other trophy related requirements so I hope someone puts a guide together for this.

Edited by Jimmy947
  • Like 1

Received the game in the post today, I only ever played Turrican 2 on the Amiga, don't think I ever finished though but certainly looking forward to hearing its soundtrack after all these years.  I guess you could play the game in Standard, so there is no pressure to get the trophies and familiarise yourself with the game then go into Trophy Challenge mode, which I think I will do as I haven't played since the 90's.

Edited by alexandra-jane09

8 hours ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

Received the game in the post today, I only ever played Turrican 2 on the Amiga, don't think I ever finished though but certainly looking forward to hearing its soundtrack after all these years.  I guess you could play the game in Standard, so there is no pressure to get the trophies and familiarise yourself with the game then go into Trophy Challenge mode, which I think I will do as I haven't played since the 90's.

Which version did you get Alexandra? I was just this second about to buy and then just found there are two versions (for some reason)

Turrican Flashback which has 3/4 games

and

Turrican Anthology Vol 1 which has 5 games.

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/products/copy-of-turrican-anthology-vol-1-ps4-preorder

So now I'm thinking wtf, why are there two versions and if I buy the digital version, then well, I'm losing out on the full collection. The Turrican Anthology box art also looks way better, looks just like the original classic box art that I remember.

Edited by enaysoft

I initially pre ordered the Antholgy edition from strictly limited for 41 euros but cancelled my order for a refund as soon as Flashback was announced.

The physical version of Turrican Flashback from base.com only cost me £19.85 so I jumped at that! I only plan on playing and completing them though then trading it in. I guess if you’re a collector the Antholgy set is the better option.

• Like 1

I had forgotten how difficult and frustrating these games can be without cheats! Especially the first game.

When I was a kid playing these on the Amiga I definitely cheated my way through them.

I guess I understand why the developers disabled the trophies when using cheats and save states but at the same time it sucks since I think this will be stuck on my trophy list at 4% :(

Never mind though, it’s still a great little walk down memory lane, especially the soundtracks and title screens for the first 2 games. Takes me right back!

@kALWa888 That’s a great question, I’d like to know this too! I might give it a try tomorrow by grinding the first stage of Turrican 1... As soon as you start if you run left and jump up the cliff there’s a 1up so that would be a good place to test this method.

Also could someone give me a hint as to where the secret bosses are located in Turrican 1 & 2 and the secret level in Mega Turrican so I can try for those trophies. Thank you ? 

Edited by Jimmy947
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy947 said:

Also could someone give me a hint as to where the secret bosses are located in Turrican 1 & 2 and the secret level in Mega Turrican so I can try for those trophies. Thank you 1f64f.png 

@Jimmy947 In Turrican 1, when you start third level, go right till the end, and then up on these little platforms, that form a "pile" of sort - near catapults shooting at you from the right. Keep going up till you see a long platform on the left. Then just go left till the end - there is secret boss, pretty easy too (use beam on him - it's called flash in the control menu).
Anyway, here's video (not mine) for visual reference. I left a timestamp for you.

As for the Turrican II.
You have to beat first level. Then, after collapsing floor, you will come to the waterfall, Keep going right until you will find area with many balls. The ones that interests you the most in this moment are the ones far to the right - you can stand on top of them. When you will shoot trough all of them, you're gonna start falling down. Keep to the left side of the screen, and then go left where is another boss. If you have problems with understanding me, here's video with timestamp. It's kinda hard to desribe it with words ;)  Pretty useful video tho,

As for Mega Turrican I have no clue where secret level is.

Edited by kALWa888
  • Like 2

@enaysoft Description in game menus say that using Standard Mode (which has Save States) disable all trophies, so yeah. If u want platinum trophy you can't use Save States. Or cheats. You have to play in mode called Trophy Challenge - and there is no Save State. You have to finish the game in one sitting.

• Like 2

Oh really, so playing Standard Mode disables ALL trophies?

Actually I think this is great, I think I'd rather relax and enjoy the games and have a 0% list, that I can delete later when I have finished enjoying all the games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kALWa888 said:

@enaysoft Description in game menus say that using Standard Mode (which has Save States) disable all trophies, so yeah. If u want platinum trophy you can't use Save States. Or cheats. You have to play in mode called Trophy Challenge - and there is no Save State. You have to finish the game in one sitting.

Dumbest thing they could have done imo, it's not possible to do this game in one sitting, even the Amiga allowed you to save.  It will probably sit at 1% on my list, shame GODS Remastered didn't have any of this no save stuff, and I doubt Shadow of the Beast remakes has this either. 

10 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

Dumbest thing they could have done imo, it's not possible to do this game in one sitting, even the Amiga allowed you to save.  It will probably sit at 1% on my list, shame GODS Remastered didn't have any of this no save stuff, and I doubt Shadow of the Beast remakes has this either. 

Hmm, I dunno the games are not super long. It will take you about an hour.

I completed Turrican 2 several times on my Amiga in one credit, albeit over 25 years ago. In Turrican 2 you can jump in and out of the shuriken form at any time and you are completely invincible in that state and you can lay an infinite amount of bombs too, so during bosses you can roll around in your shuriken wait for a chance to attack jump up fire a few shots and then go back into your shuriken form again. I some levels where you need to descend down you can just be the shuriken.

Turrican 1 on the other hand, you can only use the shuriken 3 times per life and the game in general is rock hard. I could never get very far on World 2 out of 5 but Turrican 2 is so easy in comparison. Still a tough game though. And of course the Mega Turrican, you seem to have that crappy swing mechanic and no shuriken at all? That one is probably rock hard too.

I just want to play the games though, I think I am fine to not have any trophies for this game.

Well who knows, I might have a crack at it, but man, Turrican 1 is brutal, I always remember it being hard.

Shame the game isn't 3 100% lists instead of one big platinum list. then I could just play Turrican 2 with the trophies.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Hmm, I dunno the games are not super long. It will take you about an hour.

I completed Turrican 2 several times on my Amiga in one credit, albeit over 25 years ago. In Turrican 2 you can jump in and out of the shuriken form at any time and you are completely invincible in that state and you can lay an infinite amount of bombs too, so during bosses you can roll around in your shuriken wait for a chance to attack jump up fire a few shots and then go back into your shuriken form again. I some levels where you need to descend down you can just be the shuriken.

Turrican 1 on the other hand, you can only use the shuriken 3 times per life and the game in general is rock hard. I could never get very far on World 2 out of 5 but Turrican 2 is so easy in comparison. Still a tough game though. And of course the Mega Turrican, you seem to have that crappy swing mechanic and no shuriken at all? That one is probably rock hard too.

I just want to play the games though, I think I am fine to not have any trophies for this game.

Well who knows, I might have a crack at it, but man, Turrican 1 is brutal, I always remember it being hard.

Shame the game isn't 3 100% lists instead of one big platinum list. then I could just play Turrican 2 with the trophies.

I agree it should have been separate 100% or Platinum so that you have the choice, I just think it was mean of them to disable saving.