Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

As tempting as it might be, I wouldn't recommend panic buying.  Just pick a handful of games that might interest you and move on.

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

They will target online functionality next. 

Looks like I better organize a group for Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Black Flag before it’s too late. 

I am so not looking forward to grinding out far cry 2.

Sony should definitely have a "Closing Down Sale" or similiar.

At least if they are gonna be dicks and close everything down, least they can do if be a bit kinder to the customers who have stuck with them until the end.

Those 9 "free" games they gave us last week, well they're all free, until 2030 or so.

Edited by enaysoft

5 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Sony should definitely have a "Closing Down Sale" or similiar.

At least if they are gonna be dicks and close everything down, least they can do if be a bit kinder to the customers who have stuck with them until the end.

Those 9 "free" games they gave us last week, well they're all free, until 2030 or so.

I would love a goodbye sale but I guarantee it won't happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Jim Ryan and company just don't care about their legacy and it honestly sucks. Yeah the stores are really old at this point but Microsoft/PC in general still let you get old games and play them to your hearts content. 

I know other people have been saying this but the deadline should have been a lot longer. I fully recommend jailbreaking your systems whenever you feel inclined to at this point. I'm not abandoning my playstation stuff as I have too much but I'll be damned if I can't play stuff that's not accessible anymore.

6 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

As tempting as it might be, I wouldn't recommend panic buying.  Just pick a handful of games that might interest you and move on.

I am so not looking forward to grinding out far cry 2.

As much as I don't want to panic buy, I actually use my Vita on the go and IIRC, Sony said they wouldn't make another portable console. I've already bought a handful of games. The only thing stopping me from buying more is the fear of Sony ceasing the option to sync trophies. Really not sure what to do at this point.

2 minutes ago, WILD DOG said:

I would love a goodbye sale but I guarantee it won't happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Jim Ryan and company just don't care about their legacy and it honestly sucks. Yeah the stores are really old at this point but Microsoft/PC in general still let you get old games and play them to your hearts content. 

I know other people have been saying this but the deadline should have been a lot longer. I fully recommend jailbreaking your systems whenever you feel inclined to at this point. I'm not abandoning my playstation stuff as I have too much but I'll be damned if I can't play stuff that's not accessible anymore.

I’m not going to jailbreak my systems at this point as the number of games I have on PS3/Vita are down to roughly 12 - 15. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sonic Unleashed will take a while but most of what I have can be done relatively quickly. 

I suppose now it’s finally time I played Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker and get the online done before it’s too late. 

Really a shit show Sony has been this past year.

• Like 1

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the availability of the emulated PS1/PS2 classics. Might need to make a list here... If there are remakes like crash and spyro, I probably don't need them, but I'd like to pick up games I'm interested in before they go away.

Klonoa

Parasite Eve 1 & 2

RE 1, 2, and 3 (maybe)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Persona 4

Tomba 2

Xenogears

Maybe vagrant story?

Possibly FFV and FFVI?

Maybe SF alpha 3?

Thinking about Silent Hill?

Any PS1 or PS2 gems only available on the PS3 store? Don't really care about DLC trophies, but I want to pick up a few of these classics before it closes.

5 minutes ago, WILD DOG said:

What exactly does jailbreaking a console do exactly?

Just now, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the availability of the emulated PS1/PS2 classics. Might need to make a list here... If there are remakes like crash and spyro, I probably don't need them, but I'd like to pick up games I'm interested in before they go away.

Klonoa

Parasite Eve 1 & 2

RE 1, 2, and 3 (maybe)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Persona 4

Tomba 2

Xenogears

Maybe vagrant story?

Possibly FFV and FFVI?

Maybe SF alpha 3?

Any PS1 or PS2 gems only available on the PS3 store? Don't really care about DLC trophies, but I want to pick up a few of these classics before it closes.

I recommend someone make a pinned thread on all PS1/PS2/PS3/Vita games that will be lost with the store closures. 

Some games I want that are AA production only have DLC available via the store. I want to know what is available for the upcoming months before the inevitable happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

What exactly does jailbreaking a console do exactly?

It lets you fully customize your console and also lets you play games for free, especially delisted games like Outrun or After Burner. I have CFW on my Vitas/PSP and don't really regret it. It's up to the person to jailbreak it if they want to but I see no harm in it. 

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I recommend someone make a pinned thread on all PS1/PS2/PS3/Vita games that will be lost with the store closures. 

Some games I want that are AA production only have DLC available via the store. I want to know what is available for the upcoming months before the inevitable happens.

That would be nice. Honestly, I'm most bummed losing the PS1 and PS2 classics because most of them aren't available for PS4 and I was planning on buying these at some point after I finished my PS3 backlog (which I'm actually somewhat close).

12 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I’m not going to jailbreak my systems at this point as the number of games I have on PS3/Vita are down to roughly 12 - 15. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sonic Unleashed will take a while but most of what I have can be done relatively quickly. 

I suppose now it’s finally time I played Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker and get the online done before it’s too late. 

Really a shit show Sony has been this past year.

There's PS3 games I can't finish on my list due to delisted DLC or defunct servers. I've come to terms with that though. I do want to go back and finish up what I care about though as my backlog is pretty big. I'm not jailbreaking mine atm but we'll see.

Other then that, yeah Sony really is just taking the piss lately.

Edited by WILD DOG

Just now, WILD DOG said:

There's PS3 games I can't finish on my list due to delisted DLC or defunct servers. I've come to terms with that though. I do want to go back and finish up what I care about though as my backlog is pretty big. I'm not jailbreaking mine atm but we'll see.

That’s one thing. This is getting many digital content potentially lost. 

We’ll see what happens. But it’s likely I’ll migrate to Steam in the near future, as I’m getting tired of Sony’s attitude. 

• Like 2

They bury themselves. Burying their huge library of games. Maybe few people play on ps3 / vita, but this is not a reason to disable the store. Games for vita on cartridges will now cost as bitcoins. Bottom line - I'm disappointed

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

That’s one thing. This is getting many digital content potentially lost. 

We’ll see what happens. But it’s likely I’ll migrate to Steam in the near future, as I’m getting tired of Sony’s attitude. 

I've already thought about it as some of my friends mainly just game on PC now. And Sony is slowly but surely putting exclusives onto PC. I would like for them to offer a solution to all of this but I don't really see that happening. 

1 minute ago, U4oloG said:

They bury themselves. Burying their huge library of games. Maybe few people play on ps3 / vita, but this is not a reason to disable the store. Games for vita on cartridges will now cost as bitcoins. Bottom line - I'm disappointed

It’s already happening. Prices for games are shooting through the roof on the Vita.

5 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Klonoa

Parasite Eve 1 & 2

RE 1, 2, and 3 (maybe)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Persona 4

Tomba 2

Xenogears

Maybe vagrant story?

Possibly FFV and FFVI?

Maybe SF alpha 3?

Would definitely recommend Silent Hill and Vagrant Story.

Other than the ones you listed, some games that I would say are worth checking out are:
GrimGrimoire
Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2

Chrono Cross

Metal Gear Solid

Front Mission 3

Alundra

Arc the Lad 1-3

Suikoden 1-4

Legend of Dragoon

Wild Arms 1-2

Jumping Flash (if this hasn't already been delisted)

Dino Crisis 1-2

Echo Night

Shadow Tower

Mega Man Legends 1-2, Misadventures of Tron Bonne

The first 5 Tomb Raider games (though I think these may be available on Steam/GOG)

A lot of those are JRPGs, and aren't available on PS4. Not 100% sure if some of them may be available elsewhere on PC storefronts. I wouldn't say all of them are "gems" but there's some interesting games there that will sadly be lost soon for those looking to buy them, aside from their physical counterparts for their original platforms (many of which are expensive now, and will undoubtedly increase even more in price due to the store closures).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

As much as I don't want to panic buy, I actually use my Vita on the go and IIRC, Sony said they wouldn't make another portable console. I've already bought a handful of games. The only thing stopping me from buying more is the fear of Sony ceasing the option to sync trophies. Really not sure what to do at this point.

Yeah I agree with this. I happen to think Vita is the best handheld ever made, I stuck with especially because there is never gonna be a Vita 2. Even at a casual pace of gameplay I feel like I have enough games now just to go through once that will last me 5-15 years. But if Sony are gonna one day stop me from downloading my purchased products and cripple the service forcing me to play my games much quicker, I feel a bit annoyed about that.

We don't know whether or not cloud saves and trophy syncing are gonna be disabled one day. That's certainly going to be sooner rather then later, but if Sony do this trick again some years down the line.

"Oh you have 2-3 months to finish playing all your game content before we brick all your online capabilities"

Well I can see it happening one day.

And after that, Sony will just think nah we won't sync your trophy information on any system now. We've got a new type of reward system. The trophy system in its entirety is being retired.

That genuinely might happen one day, and then Hakoom and other guys at the top will be very sad.

For now this store closure is going to make it impossible for newcomers to ever have a chance of catching up with the guys at the top, tons of easy Vita stacks are soon gonna be gone forever.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

It's a less than great move by Sony and I think they've made alot of mistakes recently but I also get it from their perspective. I'm not jumping the Playstation ship either. I'm not mad but I sort of understand those who are.

Look, we all die someday. Nothing lasts forever. We've had these gens for a long long long time and to be fair we can still play physical copies and get trophies (and access previously purchased stuff on them. 15 years is a helluva long time to have the ps3 store and it really is beyond time to move onto the ps4 at least.

Also, we always get the trophies to remember the moments. I know Sony has screwed up alot recently but trophies are linked to accounts and they understand the importance of trophies to alot of people. They wont get removed as long as Playstation is around.

Anyway I bought everything I had wanted or dlc I needed to finish on ps3/vita tonight. Only had to spend 70 dollars. Once I finish that PS3 backlog which is shrinking I'll move on fully to the rest of my ps4/ps5 backlog (which I consider the same thing since the PS5 is essentially the PS4 Pro Pro. I'll always play vita games since I predominately buy physical, and hopefully PSNow gets more of an influx of PS3 games. 

Here's to the memories of an underrated gen of gaming. This will be my last year playing PS3 games for trophies. Cheers. Hopefully the PS5 will finally get some worthwhile games lol. Oh and I think the lesson is clear. ALWAYS buy physical when possible!

Edited by DanielVT
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

And after that, Sony will just think nah we won't sync your trophy information on any system now. We've got a new type of reward system. The trophy system in its entirety is being retired.

That genuinely might happen one day, and then Hakoom and other guys at the top will be very sad.

For now this store closure is going to make it impossible for newcomers to ever have a chance of catching up with the guys at the top, tons of easy Vita stacks are soon gonna be gone forever.

I can’t say I respect those guys. I admire Hakoom on his opinions, but roughly 90 - 95 percent of his account is garbage. Absolute shovelware like Little Adventure on the Prairie and Slyde. Why would I compete on the leaderboards if I have to play such horrible trash? 

Then of course there was a certain high ranked trophy hunter who bitched to no end on a game he was flagged on. Yeah, not exactly guys I look up to.

• Like 1

It really baffles me that Sony really wants to go through with this. A lot of the games on PS3/Vita stores are only available digitally if not very rarely through physical copies, and this is more true for Vita games. I've never seen a company that's more hellbent on erasing it's history of games instead of preserving it. I don't know how expensive it is to maintain the PS3 and Vita stores but surely in the grand scheme of things, it's better off that they keep them running since people would still buy games/content in them plus a new generation of gamers won't miss out on so many great games. Sony's recent actions have seriously been making me consider switching to PC. What a waste man.