Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

Just now, Dan-lives-here said:

Between the PS5 having no games, a step backwards in UI and impossible to get nearly 7 months after launch.

The confusing and convoluted ps4>ps5 upgrade game system.

and now my ps3 and psvita becoming home-brew/piracy systems I'd say Sony has been pretty rubbish this year.

Xbox is killing it.

I burned my bridges with Xbox so my only choice is to go back to Steam on the PC. Many good indie and AA production level games on there that don’t require a good custom built PC to play on. Maybe I’ll finally give a damn about Steam Achievements.

This promotes piracy, any good company would try to kill it but I won’t be surprised if this will just encourage some people to hack their PS3/Vita systems, like you said.

I’m really disappointed, and a bit conflicted. I mean, if I buy a huge load of digital games because I know I’ll wanna play them at some point in the future, I’m basically giving Sony money as a reward for shutting down the service. And sure, for the future I’ll be able to download the games I buy on my list... but that functionality can’t last forever, right? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I burned my bridges with Xbox so my only choice is to go back to Steam on the PC. Many good indie and AA production level games on there that don’t require a good custom built PC to play on. Maybe I’ll finally give a damn about Steam Achievements.

This promotes piracy, any good company would try to kill it but I won’t be surprised if this will just encourage some people to hack their PS3/Vita systems, like you said.

I burned my bridges with Xbox as well and will never go back. Afterall, people are quick to forget the scummy practices Microsoft were going to go ahead with when the Xbox One was first revealed. Only reason they didn't go ahead with it was because Sony chose to continue as normal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yes please. There’s quite an extensive list of games that will soon be lost. 

This is unacceptable behavior from Sony. Again, we can look back at the Wii store closing but I can’t recall such a drastic change, and the Wii U was backwards compatible. 

Jim Ryan’s attitude is really beginning to show, and maybe before long I’m going to consider going back to Steam and just sticking there. 

July and August is far too short of time and the way Sony America sees all of this is nothing short of selfish, arrogant and careless. 

Unbelievable.

They gave nearly 2 years notice for the Wii shop closing if memory serves, a year to still add Wii points to buy games, then another year to use any pre-existing Wii points you still had before time was up. And believe it or not, you can still re-download purchases you made on the Wii shop. The Wii U having backwards compatibility definitely also softened the blow.

There's still no way to play most PS3 games on PS4/PS5, not unless they're on PS Now or they got re-mastered/ported. And there's been no way to play PS1 games on anything since the Vita/PS3. The only exceptions I can think of being the FF7-9 games being ported to PS4, which were new versions you had to rebuy anyway. The last PS2 Classic on PS4 I believe was 2017.

It's almost going to feel like they're rubbing salt in the wound if they start releasing PS3 Classics on PS5 at £30/$40 or so. Doesn't matter if you bought one of those games previously on the PS3 digitally, you're gonna have to rebuy it. Would be nice for people to be able to play those games on more modern hardware, sure, but I remember when you bought PS1 games on PS3, you can often play those exact same games on PSP and Vita, no extra charge. And there was naïve me wondering when they would add PS1 classics to the PS4 shortly after it launched. Of course, that never happened.

But who am I kidding? PS3 games are "ancient", they're not going to re-release those unless they're remastering them with 4k resolution and absolutely nothing fucking else for £60/$80.

Well damn, what a shame. I might get one game I’ve had my eye on, but after first hearing this news I just lost all interest in Sony and trophy hunting in general. There’s just too much I’d like to get that it’d cost hundreds if I bought everything now, and it’s simply not worth it. And what about digital only games? And I hate to see how physical copies are, more than likely, going to skyrocket.

Unless Sony plans to incorporate full PS3 (and Vita?) backwards compatibility, this is a horrible decision both business wise and for their reputation. At least I think so, wholeheartedly.

Well whatever. The new Monster Hunter released on Switch and I’ve been invested in that. Probably will be for the rest of the year lol.

So its finally been confirmed...well I'm just glad I've only got a handful of things left to buy costing somewhere around 30 odd pounds. The PS3 store by the end of its life span is a one eyed 3 legged neglected dog it's a shame, but I'm going to have to resort to pirating in the future, but it is what it is Fuck Sony fuck Jim Ryans crusty lips and rip legacy stores. Hooray to digital! At least we can still download and sync after the shutdowns but god-damn Sony couldn't have shat more stanky shit into our mouths.

Does anyone know for certain if this affects games already purchased?

I might be blind but I don’t see a download to ps3 option on mobile ( can’t check web store right now). And to my knowledge in order to download games in your library on ps3 you need to access the store. 

16 minutes ago, PostalDudeRus said:

Exact my words after TLoU 2 release, moment I realize I would never buy PS5. Now, after THIS news I sure wanna finish all games I have and just switch to PC completely.

More or less l am thinking about that too ( even though l spent 1500€ on TV and PS5 bundle ) l am getting tired of this anti-customer l am riding my high horse attitude. I hope Microsoft fuck them well on this generation so these fucktards can start make sense again. I swear one of the worst company ever

• Like 4

I don’t even know what to do about a PSP and a Vita (neither of which I currently have, both of which I’ve always wanted. Now some of the games I wanted for those systems have been released on others (the first Star Ocean for PSP on Switch and PS4/the first two Danganronpa games on PSP/Vita on PS4 & other systems). Others, though AFAIK, have never been released elsewhere (Persona 3 Portable for the PSP, SH: Book of Memories for the Vita). 

Guess I’m going to have to do a lot of research I don’t really have time for rn to figure out if buying those systems used is worth it. 

....Or if anyone’s figured out how to *cough* play those games another way *cough* 

1 minute ago, DunDonnie said:

Can anyone suggest PS3 digital-only games I should buy?

Or digital-only PS3 games that are significantly cheaper than what their physical counterparts are going for? (e.g. Yakuza Dead Soul digital is $20 on PSN, but the NTSC physical goes for $100+ on eBay)

That's a shame on yakuza man in the UK its around 20-40 I would recommend infamous festival of blood and hard corps uprising mostly the latter since festival of blood technically got a physical release in the infamous collection, but that's quite steep these days.

Well.... this sucks. Had been hoping that it was only a rumour. Guess not.

This is why I’m very much all for getting physical copies of games- but I do have a backlog of ps3 games with dlc that I still need to get. I guess I better get started..

3 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

Does anyone know for certain if this affects games already purchased?

I might be blind but I don’t see a download to ps3 option on mobile ( can’t check web store right now). And to my knowledge in order to download games in your library on ps3 you need to access the store. 

You can download your purchases from the transaction section in account management.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

They gave nearly 2 years notice for the Wii shop closing if memory serves, a year to still add Wii points to buy games, then another year to use any pre-existing Wii points you still had before time was up. And believe it or not, you can still re-download purchases you made on the Wii shop. The Wii U having backwards compatibility definitely also softened the blow.

There's still no way to play most PS3 games on PS4/PS5, not unless they're on PS Now or they got re-mastered/ported. And there's been no way to play PS1 games on anything since the Vita/PS3. The only exceptions I can think of being the FF7-9 games being ported to PS4, which were new versions you had to rebuy anyway. The last PS2 Classic on PS4 I believe was 2017.

It's almost going to feel like they're rubbing salt in the wound if they start releasing PS3 Classics on PS5 at £30/$40 or so. Doesn't matter if you bought one of those games previously on the PS3 digitally, you're gonna have to rebuy it. Would be nice for people to be able to play those games on more modern hardware, sure, but I remember when you bought PS1 games on PS3, you can often play those exact same games on PSP and Vita, no extra charge. And there was naïve me wondering when they would add PS1 classics to the PS4 shortly after it launched. Of course, that never happened.

But who am I kidding? PS3 games are "ancient", they're not going to re-release those unless they're remastering them with 4k resolution and absolutely nothing fucking else for £60/$80.

I think you and I have a lot in common. 

What upsets me the most is the fact that Sony is being far too drastic in this. A few short months is NOT enough time. I too, probably like yourself, have been greatly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2020 Elections with an absolute joke of a president plus the shutting down of the PS3/Vita library from the online store had me in a really bad mood. That’s all I’m going to say on politics in this thread.

You still cannot find a PS5 in many areas. Even today, I’ve looked online and it’s either too expensive, or I have to wait a long time. Most PS5 games have a PS4 version which aren’t too much worse in terms of graphics and framerate. So the only real benefit is AAA games. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is $50, every AAA release is now $10 more than what they were on the PS4. So what are we really getting? 

I can tell you @SuperSmexy500 that a number of PS3 games are still a lot of fun. I played Prince of Persia 2008, still had fun with myself. Super Stardust HD is still a blast. After the stores are gone, you will no longer be able to obtain all the trophies, since both have digital content. 

And I’m in the same boat, I feel many modern AAA games lack that certain appeal. Detroit: Become Human, while it’s a solid game, is a bit too leaning on realism and dramatics. Many AAA games to me don’t attract me a great deal. Older AA/AAA games on PS3/360 somehow give me a sense of joy. Newer games don’t give me the same feeling.

It’s been a hellish last 12 months. 

24 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Again, we can look back at the Wii store closing but I can’t recall such a drastic change, and the Wii U was backwards compatible.

Well there just wasn't really that much on the Wii shop. The Castlevania: The Adventure remake? Muscle March?

Help me out here.

Anyway that's probably the reason why people didn't care as much as there just wasn't really anything on there meanwhile the PS3 and Vita store has about 90% of games that ever released on the systems and this is only going to drive up the cost of physical games on the system. Look at games like No More Heroes Paradise and 3D Dot Game Heroes with no digital release and see how much they cost; that will be everything soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir_TyroneOBE said:

That's a shame on yakuza man in the UK its around 20-40 I would recommend infamous festival of blood and hard corps uprising mostly the latter since festival of blood technically got a physical release in the infamous collection, but that's quite steep these days.

Thank you, Hard Corps Uprising looks interesting! Seems like it went on sale too for $6 last year according to PS Deals. Now I'm stuck paying full price ?

• Like 1

Just now, LunchCannon54 said:

Well there just wasn't really that much on the Wii shop. The Castlevania: The Adventure remake? Muscle March?

Help me out here.

Anyway that's probably the reason why people didn't care as much as there just wasn't really anything on there meanwhile the PS3 and Vita store has about 90% of games that ever released on the systems and this is only going to drive up the cost of physical games on the system. Look at games like No More Heroes Paradise and 3D Dot Game Heroes with no digital release and see how much they cost; that will be everything soon.

Yeah I agree. 

Sony is being very arrogant and selfish here. There’s just too many digital games that are going to be lost. Sure they’re niche and they always have been. But as someone who had played a lot of them on my trophy profile, I can tell you a number of them were/are worth looking at.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what's going to happen with the online play? Is Crossplay, PS3 and Vita servers also going to be down or is it just the store.

I am confused about the message saying that you need to download the other version if you got a game on Crossplay, does that mean if you bought a game on PS4 and you never ever attempted to download the Vita version, that the Vita version of the game is now gone forever?

I'm kinda worried about cross save too now. Like what if you upload a Vita save and want it on PS3, who hosts that network solution?

So many questions and so little time.

Vita definitely loses out most on this, I mean how many games got PS3 releases but not on Vita which was digital only. So many games are digital only and only had physical releases in Japan. Worse still is that PS3 has massive harddrives, unlike Vita with small and very expensive memory.

Also, taking out the feature to even send or receive messages on Vita... That seems like a weird dick move, I mean how much more can you cripple the system. Leave it to Sony I guess to do that. Party chat has been broken for years making it impossible for it to connect with PS4 party chats (suddenly got broken in an update for no reason)

Well I guess someone needs to make a list of digital only games on PS3 and Vita, but wow, that's going to be huuuuugggeeee.

Sad times ahead.

"Vita is life"

My arse.

Playstation Now is just $1 and just before this announcement Sony gave away NINE PS4 games that doesn't even require PS+

"Oh sure, we're shutting all our old stuff down, but look how generous we are being with all the new stuff"

Sony know exactly what they are doing,

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kishnabe said:

I don't get this 

"If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation2122.pngStore on the relevant device."

I mean if it is in your download list, should you not still be able to download it. 

Mixed Messages...

I think I finally figured it out. For some reason, when I buy PS4-PS Vita cross-buy games, most of the time they are added to my Vita Download List automatically, and sometimes I have to find the game's sales page in the Store (the price will be "Free" and there will be a Download button next to the price) and download it from there, which then adds it to the Download List.

So for example, I bought Ys Origin on sale with the express intention of playing it on Vita. After buying it, I was pretty annoyed because it wasn't on my Vita list. Then I found the product in the Vita console Store and it allowed me to download it from there. Now it's in my Download List. 

I don't know why some games don't get added automatically and some do, but what I think this clumsily written sentence from Sony is trying to say is, if a game such as Ys Origin hasn't been downloaded, then it won't get added to your Download List automatically and you will lose access to it forever if you don't ensure it is on your Download List when the Stores close.

Hope that makes sense. If anyone could confirm this I'd appreciate it.

• Like 2