rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

5 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

You're not the only one! lol Feel like we are gonna start doing the classic Sonic impatient foot tap soon lol jokes

Addressing this first. Comments like this are why I love this community??

8 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Appreciate that dude! That vibe of kicking back and talking shit with the boys, is exactly why I've started posting more regularly. Honestly bro, you had me at that Cuphead review - trippin' balls and slaying through the game. I knew from that moment forward, when you speak, I'm listening.

Haha I remember feeling like "I'm gonna look like a total dumb ass for talking about this" but ending up including it because, yes, the acid was very much a part of my Cuphead journey! Such a relief that a lot of y'all got a kick out of that! I very much appreciate it man, the feeling is quite mutual. Dude, anytime any if us are feelin down in the dumps we should just get on here and read this part of the thread. I'm lovin all the mutual respect, admiration, and encouragement!!

5 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I just get far too hung up on what I didn't say. I never expect people to go back and read whatever amendments I've made. I just do it for my own peace of mind. I thought about doing that with my Vampyr review - which I think you might have read recently. I was in a little bit of a negative haze after my last playthrough of that game despite really really wanting to like it - and I do like it, I just think from a mechanical perspective it's atrocious 1f604.png

I did read that, and as I recall I enjoyed it! It reminded me of the crashes when I platted that last year, I must've blocked those out! I liked it too, but I also wanted to like it a lot more. I get the thing about the negative haze. That's how I felt about my Erica review, I think since at the time of playing I was a mute in the forums and didn't have anybody to talk to about how it quickly became such an annoying chore to complete, when I finally sat down to write about it, all this fucking bile just spewed out of me! I don't feel the need to change it, but I definitely do feel the need to remember to address the bad stuff with a bit more tact next time!

• Like 2

One hell of a write up mate!

Highlights the dangers of following these threads - now you’ve got me wanting to play this too, despite having finished it back on the PSone, and having… I don’t know… a bajillion new games in my current backlog ?

We’ve been back and forth a bunch on some of your points - particularly on the still imagery and silent film stuff which I still agree is at it’s strongest here - so I’ll just say - an amazing review throughout!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

You lived up to the hype, my friend! Spectacular review. I saw the trophy popped for you on my PS4 and sent a congratulations, but apparently you can't curse on trophy comments cuz they asterisked me!

It's been a joy watching you work towards finishing this guy off. I hope you know I would not have finally taken the plunge in starting this game myself without our conversations and seeing how much fun you were having tackling this gargantuan game, and I'm simultaneously excited and terrified, but you inspired me tremendously. So thanks for that!

Also... Kelsey Grammer as Kuja is fucking brilliant?

• Like 1

Congrats! I'm always very happy to read when someone has an amazing experience with the old Final Fantasy games! This one is third or fourth on my all time list, but I think you did an excellent job recapping it.

7 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

If I was going to give anyone advice, before you do anything else – make sure you get the jump rope trophy done as soon as possible.

I couldn't agree with this more. It's truly a benefit that you can get this so early in the game. If you wait, you risk souring your whole experience because of this trophy...plus you'll have it hanging over your head the whole time. By getting it done first/early, you can take a break from the game for a bit and when you come back to it, you just have the amazing experience waiting for you. It took me a solid week of doing this 2-3 hours a day before I got it. 

Congrats again!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

This review has essentially been twenty years in the making – fingers crossed it won’t actually take twenty years to read. A game is a sum of all of its parts though, so I’ll do my utmost to cover as much of it as I can. Twenty years you ask? Unfortunately, yes – I never deliberately avoided this game either, it just sort of passed me by.  I always have wanted to play it, but here in the UK getting hold of a PS1 copy of Final Fantasy IX, certainly where I live at least was always a big problem – at least one for a reasonable price that is. Now that I have played it, I can absolutely understand why it was rare, and why people wouldn’t want to let this absolute treasure out of their sight. It isn’t like I couldn’t have played it until recently either, I’ve owned the digital version on the PS3 since at least 2014 I think, and I’ve had this PS4 version since the day it came out – in fact it’s been installed on my console for that entire time, but it’s taken me until 2021 to actually start it – and now here we are. Somehow I managed to remain pretty much spoiler free for twenty years, so you won’t find any spoilers here. I’ll talk about certain characters and their relationship to one another and things like that – but I’d hate to spoil this game for anyone who has also managed to remain spoiler free all this time. I know I’m not the only one who managed that.

Wow incredible! I can tell this game means a lot to you. I don't usually play the Final Fantasy games however I always used to watch these games being played back when these came out. It's never been a favourite genre to play but as a series this was quite personal as this was a big part of my household. This is one of those games that will always be one of the greatest & for Final Fantasy this was within the greatest period of this particular series. I still remember many things about this game especially the soundtrack & whilst a lot of the games have good ones. This still has one of the greatest soundtracks ever made without a doubt. 

I'm trying to get a little bit more involved with these threads & I know this one is pretty active but since you did such a detailed review on this game, I'd thought I post here. Good luck with future games, can't wait to see what's next!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Well I dunno - they might listen to the feedback from fans a little more if every fan was Moneybags from Spyro the Dragon... Then it might happen... They seem to like money more than anything else these days. Which - yes, as a business I understand, but I don't have to like it, if I think it hinders them creatively, which I do.

Indeed. Every Square Enix show now that they do seems to have more and more games for mobile phones, which of course is a massive market nowadays. Liking the Moneybags Spyro reference there, only platinumed the first one, need to get around to playing the other 2.

23 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Well it's coming today - for real this time. I didn't actually get the platinum till late-ish last night and it was my Dads birthday so it felt right to spend a bit of time with him, instead of editing a review a little bit so I could post it. We must covert everyone to zeeeee ways of Final Fantasy IX!!!

I can see it's there! Definitely gonna read it as soon as I reasonably can do but yes definitely, the conversion must commence!!! lol Happy birthday to your Dad too. :)

18 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:
23 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

You're not the only one! lol Feel like we are gonna start doing the classic Sonic impatient foot tap soon lol jokes

Addressing this first. Comments like this are why I love this community??

Haha! Cheers! ?

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

I've never played a Final Fantasy game nor a game in its genre. I've expressed to Baker in his thread that is something I aim to change at some point in the future. I would be interested to see what you feel would be a good entry point into this genre. This is why I was so eagerly awaiting the review - because the way you talk about games gives incredible insight into what the games are actually like to play. 

I'll second the last sentence there. Very skilled writer and very expressive.

I'm sure whatever Final Fantasy you decide to pick, @rjkclarke will be able to guide you and ensure it's the best choice for you. The key in getting into any franchise probably but certainly Final Fantasy is finding the most appropriate one for you and your interests, not what others would choose because they are generally accepted to be the best ones in the series. I managed to get my wife into FF with FFXIII, and that is not an entry that is generally that highly regarded (You won't see it in many top 10 best lists), but I knew the battle system, story, world etc would work well for her and so it's important to remember. More so if you haven't played a JRPG at all. I'm happy to add any extra information for any of the games if needed. ?

• Like 4

22 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

L07514d.png

1L3c573a.png

I'm so glad to see that someone else got converted to the FFIX fan club. It is still my favorite Final Fantasy (possibly JRPG...) game to this day. What an amazing spoiler free write up as well. From someone who's played it numerous times on PS1, I actually understood the type of references you were elaborating without actually going into story details in the game.

There are games that I go into knowing that I won't get 100% of the trophies on due usually to time constraints (I have a huge backlog of stuff I need to play), but I still really want to play through and get what I can of the trophies. This would be one of those games, it is so worth having a few unearned trophies to experience this masterpiece. BTW, I think you undersold Steiner a bit, Vivi is obviously the best character, but the way Steiner changes/grows throughout the game is great. I will agree that Amarant is like the Vincent of FFIX, no idea why he's there other than to add more character variety. Only difference is, he didn't get his own spinoff game later.

21 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Highlights the dangers of following these threads - now you’ve got me wanting to play this too, despite having finished it back on the PSone, and having… I don’t know… a bajillion new games in my current backlog 1f602.png

Story of my life right here...at least I'll be playing one of your top ranked games next month for Halloween finally. ?

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 3

Incredible read on Final Fantasy IX, @rjkclarke! When you started talking about the importance of visuals and cinematography in the game, it reminded me of the feats developers had to pull off for old games; nowadays, games are abundant with day 1 patches or updates along the way, but with games on the PS1, PS2, and even PS3, you'd have one shot at making a game, what's sold was it. When you also factor in the fact that developers would find ways to use the limited technology to their advantage, the PS1 was definitely a time for art to blossom, and for ingenuity to shine. FFIX in this regard seems to be one of those games that break the mold; especially in referencing Star Wars' Binary Sunset. That shot is almost something out of a painting. If that's what you thought when playing FFIX, then it's got to be a truly beautiful game. Vivi is probably one of the best designed characters in the series I'd argue. Usually an obscured face would evoke mystery, yet in the case of Vivi it just exudes a friendly vibe. ? It's a weird juxtaposition how something that seems mysterious on the surface is really frank and to the point deep inside, and I feel as though this definitely correlates with Vivi's sense of character throughout the game.

Excellent write up, and I look forward to your future reviews and updates!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #327

Final Fantasy IX (PS4)

Firstly, that was quite a review. As others have said you are a very detailed and thorough writer, and you give a great insight into games, which I fully appreciate like many others. I’m just going to put all my thoughts and comments about your review in one long ramble of text and we will see how it turns out lol

Have to say again it’s pretty remarkable that you were able to avoid pretty much all spoilers on the game for 20 years. Massive achievement in itself lol

They certainly don’t do games like Final Fantasy IX any more, for better or worse. Certainly we have discussed at lengths how much I personally prefer the classic battle systems of I-X rather than the more action oriented focus that Square Enix now has with the franchise. (FFXV screams to mind…)

I think all 3 of the PS1 era Final Fantasy’s have their own strengths and weaknesses (of which there are more strengths for all 3) and those 3 as a block of games hold up to any others pretty magnificently. I totally understand personally why FFIX would be your favourite of those 3 titles, and it is my 2nd favourite of those 3.

I completely agree on what they were able to do with FFIX’s story and character development. I think it shows that this was the point where Squaresoft (at the time) were using all the lessons and experience they had garnered from all the previous games to really show that they were the best at the text dialogue format. I certainly don’t think that Final Fantasy games suffered with the introduction of voice acting, but there is a sort of warmth and intimacy that you can get as a player from playing an FF game without the voices, where you can almost become closer to the characters and create a more personal connection. Having to look for those mannerisms that they had to emphasise more and using the body language ad almost body language of the world as such to highlight things that sometimes you lose in voiced games. (hopefully that made some sense lol)

Vivi is a fantastic character, certainly one of the best of the whole franchise.

That is an interesting analysis regarding Zidane. I hadn’t thought about that personally myself, but the more I think about it you are correct. For the other classic FF’s, the main character for most is a leader and what the others look up to for strength and direction (like Zidane) but unlike Zidane the other characters personal troubles/flaws or problems are known pretty much from the start. Cecil, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Tidus all would fall into that category. I think the way they handled Zidanes development during the game was certainly a sidestep to that preconceived and established notion of how the main character was going to be and that dynamic. Hard to say much more without spoilers.

The comparison between Zidane and Han Solo is one I had never thought of before, but they are both rogue like in a way, almost anti heros or at least they don’t fit the typical hero mould that society has established. (BTW, if George Lucas was still in control of the Star Wars franchise, who knows if he would have given Hans Solo a tail haha).

We had discussed your great appreciation for Quina before. Certainly not a character that I personally got on board with, for some reason they didn’t quite click with me but they were still funny lol Can’t agree more about Amarant though.

Who doesn’t wish they were still playing video games at age 90?

If there was ever a Final Fantasy game that should be made into a Shakespearean theatre production, it would be FFIX. Square Enix would probably do one for FFVII though lol

Certainly when I first witnessed the first news about FFIX back in the day, it was very jarring almost really the change in art style, music and character looks to be honest. Speaking as someone whose first Final Fantasy was VII (FF’s 1,2,4,5 and 6 never came out until the PS1 themselves in the UK, with 3 being released on the DS - I didn’t play any of them until much later) it seemed to me like a bold change of direction and a chance for me to experience what Final Fantasy was ‘supposed’ to be as such. Man that opening music and video clip when first loading up the game was magical though. Really set the tone. The art style of IX is unique and is one that really adds to the world it wanted to create and the tone and theme of the game.

Vivid and long lasting memorable imagery is a given in most FF games, but FFIX is certainly one of the best at it. I think X does a great job of it as well.

Melodies of Life is such a magical theme. Really emotional and wonderful in both Japanese and English, like Suteki da Ne is for FFX. It’s the power of those songs that they can create emotion and resonate and you don’t even understand the lyrics. FFIX is a wonderful soundtrack and one example of it I have linked at the end of this massive slab of text lol

Nobuo Uematsu is a genius.

(On a side note, you mentioned Lost Odyssey and it reminded me that I watched Resonant Arc’s review of it, and wow that would have been quite an experience to play through. Was really interesting hearing this thoughts on the game. Pity that the ending of the story didn’t seem to match up with the rest of the game and how it was structured. That’s going off his review, which I respect. Obviously I haven’t played it, so if you feel differently about it, let me know why. Would be interesting to hear! Oh and as soon as he went into more detail with the battle system and how they attain skills, I was like “That’s very FFIX” lol)

Can’t agree more about Tetra Master. A shame that it pales in comparison to Triple Triad. FFIX did have an almost ridiculous amount of minigames. I was always unsure if that was one of it’s strengths or weaknesses.

Ah the trials and tribble-ations (Couldn’t resist a Star Trek pun there) of the Jump Rope trophy. Man what were they thinking? Bloodlust doesn’t sound much better either sadly. Suppose you can listen to Uematsu’s greatest songs whilst grinding out those kills though eh?

Fantastic review and I’ll bet you’ll get more people interesting in having a look at this game as well. Kudos!

Looking forward to more long discussions about Final Fantasy and other interests ?

Finally, I have to leave you with this from one of the most powerful scenes in the whole game – the orchestral version of You’re Not Alone. My god this song and this version of it are simply moving. Can’t say much more than that.

Magnifico!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I sure did get converted - big time!!! That's nice to hear actually, that the spoiler free aspect of it came off well. That was such a double edged sword for me, I was so tempted to break my own rules and mention spoilers, but I didn't want to spoil it for anyone that has yet to play it. 

You want me to add you to the thank you part of the review by the way? I feel like you should probably be there. I completely agree by the way, I DID undersell Steiner, and a few of the other characters too, it was a case of worrying I was dedicating too much to characters, and avoiding spoilers. He's a great character, I just really worried that, talking about person growth I'd accidentally reveal something, it was hard enough skating around that with VIvi. Thanks for pointing it out too, because he deserves plenty of love as a character too.

The bit in bold - you hit that nail on the head so hard, it fell through the centre of the earth and whizzed past the monkeys that live inside the core of the earth and control us all with levers (you never know it could be happening 1f606.png) . I was actually going to dedicate a section to the end of that review about why you should play this game, even if you don't get all the trophies. If anybodies 100% account was going to die to anything - this game would be a worthy adversary, as you quite rightly say this game is a masterpiece.

Could you imagine an Amarant game? I'd subtitle it Final Fantasy IX: Complaining, From Here to Eternity.... Get the song rights to Iron Maiden's here to Eternity and have the theme be "Amarant aint a bad guy..... Amarant'll....... bore you from here to eternity"..... Something like that!!

You don't have to add me or anything, I was just excited to see someone play it for the first time. It's now the same for people that play the Yakuza series (hopefully starting with 0) for the first time. I still have half way to go to finish it, but I was hooked from the first game and it's nice to see when others get that first bit of crack.

• Like 2

Yes - mobile games..... I mean, I'd totally buy it if it was a Final Fantasy VII version of Snake..... You know you could totally do that too, I don't want to give them ideas or anything - but you literally replace the snake with the  Midgar Zolom. Release = Cash

Please play the other Spyro's... They are excellent. You'll have a blast I think. You might hear " trouble with the trolley, eh?" when you play the second one.... But it's a small sacrifice to make.

Of course this post loads up after I've put the mega post lol o well ooooo FFVII version of Snake you say? Sold lol

I will get around to the other Spyro's definitely. Enjoyed the 1st one quite a lot. Hoping it won't be like Sly where I enjoyed the 1st one the most out of those. Trouble with the trolley, eh? Sounds intriguing lol

Thanks!! I'll pass on the message! I hope you like it man, I really do. Fingers crossed. You weren't wrong about the game being excellent that's for sure. I'm still a little sad that my time with it is over for now. I haven't been able to bring myself to play Beholder 2 yet for that reason haha.

If you couldn't tell from the above wall of text, yes I definitely enjoyed your review lol It is one of those games (experiences) that stays with you for a while, and other games can seem a bit less engaging as a result. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I was more thinking of Frasier than Sideshow Bob - but when Kuja goes into trance mode his hair goes all red and spiky as well. So maybe it was more fitting than I thought.

Now when Kuja pops up in the story I'm constantly going to be expecting an "Oh REALLY, Niles!!"

3 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Certainly when I first witnessed the first news about FFIX back in the day, it was very jarring almost really the change in art style, music and character looks to be honest. Speaking as someone whose first Final Fantasy was VII (FF’s 1,2,4,5 and 6 never came out until the PS1 themselves in the UK, with 3 being released on the DS - I didn’t play any of them until much later) it seemed to me like a bold change of direction and a chance for me to experience what Final Fantasy was ‘supposed’ to be as such. Man that opening music and video clip when first loading up the game was magical though. Really set the tone. The art style of IX is unique and is one that really adds to the world it wanted to create and the tone and theme of the game.

VII was my first too?? In the states we got Final Fantasy Anthology with V and VI on the PS1 about a year before IX came out (whew that's a lot of numbers), so we got prepped for lack of a better word. Likely to help alleviate the confusion of why we went from 3-7 so abruptly! But I too remember being somewhat puzzled initially that they would go back in that direction. Won me over pretty quickly though? After all, SNES FF × PS FF is a hard formula to fuck up!

(Now with all the caps, what's wrong with me today?)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

VII was my first too1f622.png? In the states we got Final Fantasy Anthology with V and VI on the PS1 about a year before IX came out (whew that's a lot of numbers), so we got prepped for lack of a better word. Likely to help alleviate the confusion of why we went from 3-7 so abruptly! But I too remember being somewhat puzzled initially that they would go back in that direction. Won me over pretty quickly though1f604.png After all, SNES FF × PS FF is a hard formula to fuck up!

Yeah indeed, at least America got 3 of the first 6 FF's lol the UK got nil, nada, zilch lol It's just "Here's this new exciting game - Final Fantasy VII" "Hang on, 7??!! What the hell happened to the first 6?!" lol

Absolutely agree though - SNES FF x PS FF is a hard formula to fuck up! Wish they'd do the new ones in that way tbh. Do a classic series spin off or something like that. Man I miss those days....

• Like 2

On 09/09/2021 at 0:09 AM, rjkclarke said:

The words thank you - just don't really do this comment any sort of justice. That comment meant a lot!!!

It makes me happy to see how much praise you received and all of the positive comments after you put in so much effort writing up such a stellar review. 

On the subject of you trying a JRPG - that's a tough one. I'll think about it some more, and I'll try and put some ideas together... Final Fantasy X is a great shout as has been pointed out. That's my favourite one so of course I'd say that.

But - and here's an interesting alternative, you're a Father right? I'm sure I read in your thread that you were. So I might suggest checking out Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch remastered... Although I'm not a parent myself, not yet at least, (maybe some day); that game, I think -  would be absolutely filled with some incredibly poignant and joyous moments, that would probably resonate with a parent even more than it might someone else. It's art style is absolutely astounding, it's not absolutely steeped in anime visuals like some JRPG's can be, in case that'd be a turn off. It's very filmic, as it was co produced by Studio Ghibli, so their own brand of rich vibrant and memorable imagery is an absolute joy to behold.

Also it's got quite a charming little Pokemon-esque system where you catch creatures to form your party members, which leads to loads and loads of variety. I also think if your children happen to be around whilst you were playing it, they might get really interested by the gorgeous aesthetic, and end up being interested themselves, might make it a bit of a family experience too, as the main character is a very small child - so they might identify with him on that level. Don't be put off by that either - it works surprisingly well. The only problem is, the platinum itself can become a bit of a chore, it's a bit grindy to say the least, but the core game itself, without taking trophies into the equation, is absolutely excellent.

You're doing such a fantastic job of conveying passion and emotion yourself by the way - look how much interest your passion for the Trials series has managed to garner. I'm sure by the time you're finished the game and have written a stellar review of your experiences - that you'll have people that never would have even considered playing that game, deciding to take the plunge as a result. So don't think I don't have my kettle at the ready too!!

Hey man, I really do appreciate that you will put some thought into recommending me the right JRPG to start with. The genre (as far as I'm aware) is notorious for having looooong games, so it would suck for me to jump into one that I end up not liking and be faced with a daunting 100hr+ completion. I trust your judgement though and you know what you're talking about! Speaking of judgement, I didn't think of a Yakuza game until you mentioned it. They have always looked interesting to me. Could be a good shout? 

I will definitely look into Ni No Kuni, that sounds great. I reckon some of my younger children would enjoy watching me play something of that nature. They love Pokemon, so that particular aspect could be awesome. 

I don't think its possible to have been playing video games for all these years and not having heard about Final Fantasy, alot. I've just never known where to jump in if I wanted to play, there's so many of them.

Thank you for the compliment at the end. I'm honestly blown away by how much interest me playing Trials has garnered. I'm not really sure why, either. If it is indeed my passion for the series, then I can only hope it does encourage a few more people to pick them up and experience how fantastic these games are! I will do my best to put together a decent write up once I've wrapped up Fusion. The bar is set high from you boys, but honestly - that just inspires me to try harder and put more effort and thought into what I write. 

• Like 3

On 09/09/2021 at 7:24 AM, Shrooba said:

Incredible read on Final Fantasy IX, @rjkclarke! When you started talking about the importance of visuals and cinematography in the game, it reminded me of the feats developers had to pull off for old games; nowadays, games are abundant with day 1 patches or updates along the way, but with games on the PS1, PS2, and even PS3, you'd have one shot at making a game, what's sold was it. When you also factor in the fact that developers would find ways to use the limited technology to their advantage, the PS1 was definitely a time for art to blossom, and for ingenuity to shine. FFIX in this regard seems to be one of those games that break the mold; especially in referencing Star Wars' Binary Sunset. That shot is almost something out of a painting. If that's what you thought when playing FFIX, then it's got to be a truly beautiful game. Vivi is probably one of the best designed characters in the series I'd argue. Usually an obscured face would evoke mystery, yet in the case of Vivi it just exudes a friendly vibe. 1f605.png It's a weird juxtaposition how something that seems mysterious on the surface is really frank and to the point deep inside, and I feel as though this definitely correlates with Vivi's sense of character throughout the game.

Excellent write up, and I look forward to your future reviews and updates!

Thanks!! Much appreciated... I do agree with that sentiment too, that the limited development cycles and not being able to patch the game day one probably did light a fire under developers backsides a lot more than it does now. They know they have that luxury now, so they probably rely on it much more than perhaps they might have before.

I do think sometimes fans put unfair pressure on studios to give them exactly what they want now - look what happened with Cyberpunk, I've not played it myself. I'll play it if it actually works at some point in the future - but unfortunately it looks like CDPR have undone a lot of the amazing good will that they garnered from The Witcher 3 - although I left that a while before I went back and really finished everything in that too, as even that game was a little broken at release... It's not not, but it doesn't stop it leaving a bit of a sour first impression.

Sorry I've taken a while to get to all of these replies by the way.

Sometimes to be effective, all you really need is a well composed image - which Final Fantasy IX does an astounding job od doing. That's an incredibly good point about VIvi too. I think the fact his design is slightly more tangibly human  than the other Black Mages go a long way. His hat is crooked and weather-beaten, instead of pointy, his clothes are slightly different and look more lived in too. All that goes a long way to make him seem friendlier, as you rightly said it's a juxtaposition that absolutely works, faceless characters are often the more sinister ones.

On 09/09/2021 at 3:53 PM, The_Kopite said:

Firstly, that was quite a review. As others have said you are a very detailed and thorough writer, and you give a great insight into games, which I fully appreciate like many others. I’m just going to put all my thoughts and comments about your review in one long ramble of text and we will see how it turns out lol

Thanks!! I'm very glad to hear that.

that bit in bold seems to work well enough for me haha ? - I'll reply in sections, because that's a lot to put in one quote post. I appreciate the really in depth reply though. It was an amazing read.

Have to say again it’s pretty remarkable that you were able to avoid pretty much all spoilers on the game for 20 years. Massive achievement in itself lol

They certainly don’t do games like Final Fantasy IX any more, for better or worse. Certainly we have discussed at lengths how much I personally prefer the classic battle systems of I-X rather than the more action oriented focus that Square Enix now has with the franchise. (FFXV screams to mind…)

I think all 3 of the PS1 era Final Fantasy’s have their own strengths and weaknesses (of which there are more strengths for all 3) and those 3 as a block of games hold up to any others pretty magnificently. I totally understand personally why FFIX would be your favourite of those 3 titles, and it is my 2nd favourite of those 3.

I don't know how I've managed that either - it's not exactly like this is an obscure title, that people don't absolutely adore either, so you'd think I would have got spoiled on something, but nope - pretty much everything was completely new to me. Apart from the bit leading up to the Evil Forest which is the only part of the game I'd actually played up until recently.

There are plenty of games still being released that prove that turn based battle systems can still work, but I think these days Square Enix want universal appeal. I can understand that from the point that they're a business, but I don't think the more action oriented stuff works in quite the same way. It sounds like they struck a pretty decent balance in FF7REmake though, so that sounds like pretty decent progress at least.

All 3 PS1 era titles absolutely have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm very fond of all three of them - although I've very much got the unpopular opinion of liking VII the least of those three. What does work in VII's favour is how you end up noticing on multiple playthroughs. I do like it a hell of a lot too, it's just very small margins of preference for me, among these three titles. So it isn't like I think VII is lesser or anything as a result.

I completely agree on what they were able to do with FFIX’s story and character development. I think it shows that this was the point where Squaresoft (at the time) were using all the lessons and experience they had garnered from all the previous games to really show that they were the best at the text dialogue format. I certainly don’t think that Final Fantasy games suffered with the introduction of voice acting, but there is a sort of warmth and intimacy that you can get as a player from playing an FF game without the voices, where you can almost become closer to the characters and create a more personal connection. Having to look for those mannerisms that they had to emphasise more and using the body language ad almost body language of the world as such to highlight things that sometimes you lose in voiced games. (hopefully that made some sense lol)

It's a real testament to their writing skill at this point isn't it - especially when you factor in I was playing it fresh in 2021 and had a much more positive experience with it as a story than I've had with modern titles with an incredibly lavish budget, top notch voice acting and better graphics. What you said, makes perfect sense - them using no voiced dialogue in a sense does allow you more focus.

I don't think the series suffers, with the introduction of voice overs either - in fact it's the thing that just about edges out Final Fantasy X for me. It could just be bias trickling in though - as that game really blew my mind when I was younger, I couldn't get my head around how much of a leap it was from VIII which would have been the last one I'd played.

That is an interesting analysis regarding Zidane. I hadn’t thought about that personally myself, but the more I think about it you are correct. For the other classic FF’s, the main character for most is a leader and what the others look up to for strength and direction (like Zidane) but unlike Zidane the other characters personal troubles/flaws or problems are known pretty much from the start. Cecil, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Tidus all would fall into that category. I think the way they handled Zidanes development during the game was certainly a sidestep to that preconceived and established notion of how the main character was going to be and that dynamic. Hard to say much more without spoilers.

I found that one a really tough one to skate around as far as spoilers go - he does have a revelatory experience like main characters often do, but it's so spoilerific I couldn't really mention it in any detail - let's just call it an existential crisis and leave it there. His character structure just seemed like something to talk about, because he does seem so different to other protagonists in the series I think. He's very unique in that regard.

It was that difference that made me really fond of his character - some of the other protagonists, Cloud in particular take a lot longer to reach their definitive EUREKA moment as characters. Squall is a bit like that too - but the way they wrote FFVIII is much more metatextual about it, especially the way everyone has to tell him that he's all of these things that he thinks he isn't - "we know, but they don't know - Dramatic Irony mate!!" as my old screenwriting lecturer used to tell us.

On an unrelated note - I'm pencilling in a review for November 28 this year to dedicate to my old lecturer, I found out he died when I was playing Tales of Zestiria a few years ago and now I can't think of that game without thinking of him, so I think it'd be nice to talk about him a bit before that review - he was an incredible mind indeed. It should give people a bit more of an idea on why I sometimes slip into vague metaphors accidentally, because those were that guys bread and butter and they were always so funny. So my inferior ones are a by-product of that.

Vivi is a fantastic character, certainly one of the best of the whole franchise.

The comparison between Zidane and Han Solo is one I had never thought of before, but they are both rogue like in a way, almost anti heros or at least they don’t fit the typical hero mould that society has established. (BTW, if George Lucas was still in control of the Star Wars franchise, who knows if he would have given Hans Solo a tail haha).

We had discussed your great appreciation for Quina before. Certainly not a character that I personally got on board with, for some reason they didn’t quite click with me but they were still funny lol Can’t agree more about Amarant though.

Vivi might be my favourite Final Fantasy character now - he's very close to the top if he isn't actually my favourite. I just felt such an overwhelming amount of empathy for him as a character. I know you bring up Lost Odyssey later on, and we'll get there, but Kaim from Lost Odyssey elicited a similar reaction from me. Their specific stories just kind of resonate in a very unique way where you can't help but want them to be happier. That's a naff description of course, but I'm skating around spoilers again. I'd have loved to have broken my rule and mentioned spoilers, but I would have gone twice as long just talking about Vivi and other characters. ?

I think Zidane and Han, have that similar rogue-ish likeability. Where they appear like they couldn't care less on the surface, but really they'd die for you in a heartbeat. I mean, that is probably a case of me overthinking and reading too much into the games characters but, that's how I saw it.

That Quina thing is really unusual - because Quina gets possibly even less character development than Amarant - in fact I'd say they almost certainly do. I'd never argue they were a particularly deep or nuanced character that's for sure. Although one moment when you are in Bran- Bul completely caught me off guard, and I found quite sad, which was the simplistic way in which Quina tries to make Zidane feel better, in the only way that they can, by saying how much Zidane's presence has enriched their life, that was really nice. I think I have trophies to thank for how much I liked Quina personally, if there wasn't a requirement to see all the games ATE's then I never would have seen half of the hilarious things that they get up to. Those really made me laugh.

Who doesn’t wish they were still playing video games at age 90?

If there was ever a Final Fantasy game that should be made into a Shakespearean theatre production, it would be FFIX. Square Enix would probably do one for FFVII though lol

I think I'd just be content with being alive still at 90 - if I still have the dexterity to play video games all the better. I bet @KindaSabbath - Will still be pumping out video's for Trials when he's 92 - wowing us all with his immense progress in Trials - Zimmerframe Fusion of the Blood Dragon!! 

I agree - you could make a hell of a theatre production out of FFIX, great shout man!!  There's so much scope to make that amazing too, you've already got an amazing soundtrack you can play as part of the show. The costumes would look amazing in the flesh, and the anthropomorphic characters would look great on a stage - kind of like how the lions look in the Lion King stage show if you've ever seen any clips of that.  

Fascinating point you made there about the jarring changes (I agree with pretty much all of what you said there), and about your personal trepidation going into Final Fantasy IX - I actually have experienced something like that recently with Yakuza, although from everything I've been lead to believe, much like Final Fantasy IX Yakuza 7 turned out to be great - the transition into a turn based fully fledged JRPG has actually worked wonders - and they are keeping the series roots alive through the Judgment series too, so people could always go back to the familiar play style with  those if they wished to.

Vivid and long lasting memorable imagery is a given in most FF games, but FFIX is certainly one of the best at it. I think X does a great job of it as well.

Melodies of Life is such a magical theme. Really emotional and wonderful in both Japanese and English, like Suteki da Ne is for FFX. It’s the power of those songs that they can create emotion and resonate and you don’t even understand the lyrics. FFIX is a wonderful soundtrack and one example of it I have linked at the end of this massive slab of text lol

Nobuo Uematsu is a genius.

(On a side note, you mentioned Lost Odyssey and it reminded me that I watched Resonant Arc’s review of it, and wow that would have been quite an experience to play through. Was really interesting hearing this thoughts on the game. Pity that the ending of the story didn’t seem to match up with the rest of the game and how it was structured. That’s going off his review, which I respect. Obviously I haven’t played it, so if you feel differently about it, let me know why. Would be interesting to hear! Oh and as soon as he went into more detail with the battle system and how they attain skills, I was like “That’s very FFIX” lol)

I think the visuals in IX just about edge out X for me now - There's a real artistic flair to some of the stuff you see in IX that is there in other titles for sure, but IX has the sort that you could probably view in a bubble outside of the game itself without any context and probably still discuss with someone at length about what a specific image means - much like you can with a lot of art.

Had I played Final Fantasy IX before playing FF XIII-2 - THIS would have been the one that I would have picked to write that essay, about conveying emotion through the use of music. I don't throw the word genius around lightly - but I think I definitely might bust it out for Uematsu that's for sure, I definitely think that's deserved in his case. I loved reading about how much, he enjoyed making IX's soundtrack too, and that love of his craft comes across so well in the final product.

I think the ending of Lost Odyssey is a little bit - rushed? Perhaps that's not quite right, but it certainly doesn't give you the pay off that you probably expected from it. I think, the way it sort of wraps itself up doesn't really leave it very much scope for sequels, I mean - you could always create different immortals to build stories around, because that concept is incredibly strong - especially the way you unpack their stories by exploring those wonderful flashback short stories. It just felt a bit I don't know closed off.

I adore Lost Odyssey though, and I really did want to see it become a series in it's own right, but now I think it'll just remain one of those  what ifs? Of things that could have been. I'll certainly be getting that straight away if that ever gets a PS4 or PS5 remaster. More than anything it has that authentic Final Fantasy feel to the way it tells both the overarching narrative and the way it deals with it's characters. Resonant Arc's not wrong though, from what you said of their review, it does have a few glaring problems that you just can't ignore.

Can’t agree more about Tetra Master. A shame that it pales in comparison to Triple Triad. FFIX did have an almost ridiculous amount of minigames. I was always unsure if that was one of it’s strengths or weaknesses.

Ah the trials and tribble-ations (Couldn’t resist a Star Trek pun there) of the Jump Rope trophy. Man what were they thinking? Bloodlust doesn’t sound much better either sadly. Suppose you can listen to Uematsu’s greatest songs whilst grinding out those kills though eh?

Fantastic review and I’ll bet you’ll get more people interesting in having a look at this game as well. Kudos!

Looking forward to more long discussions about Final Fantasy and other interests

Some of the mini games are so innocuous - you could so easily forget that they were even there. I want to say it's a strength, without trophies I never would have probably thought to talk to the hippo kid so that his Mum makes Vivi do a running mini game with him to stop him being a lardo, I would have just walked on by. Same with the Nero brothers shuffle one - it's probably so easy to miss that one, and you don't really get anything other than gil from it, but the fact it's there is really cool.

I had more fun doing the jump rope trophy - it has that satisfying feeling you get when you know you are gradually making progress and getting better and better at something, so the payoff at the end just feels that little bit more satisfying. Bloodlust just bored me senseless - it's not fun in any whatsoever, I just can't sugar coat it - I can only equate it to that famous saying " lay back and think of England " haha ?

I'm so glad, that you enjoyed the review. It was a hell of a lot fun to write, if not also incredibly draining. Also frustrating at times too, because I was really struggling how to word things without spoiling some really key moments.

Thanks!! I also look forward to many more discussions to come, whatever it's about - should be a blast.

Finally, I have to leave you with this from one of the most powerful scenes in the whole game – the orchestral version of You’re Not Alone. My god this song and this version of it are simply moving. Can’t say much more than that.

Oh yeah - you aren't kidding.... That's really powerful, made my arm hairs stand on end. Thanks for sharing that!! Damn it, that's almost making me want to Ultima FFIX off of it's pedestal in my mind. The music in that video alone, just illustrates how majestic just the musical component alone in this game is.

On 09/09/2021 at 3:59 PM, Grotz99 said:

You don't have to add me or anything, I was just excited to see someone play it for the first time. It's now the same for people that play the Yakuza series (hopefully starting with 0) for the first time. I still have half way to go to finish it, but I was hooked from the first game and it's nice to see when others get that first bit of crack.

I know - but I just thought it was right to say thanks to as many people as possible that have been contributing along the way - because I really do appreciate it, it's made it that much more enjoyable as a result.

I'm in the same boat about the Yakuza series, every time someone starts to play it, I can't help but wish for nothing more than for them to fall in love with that series in the same way that I and many others have done.

It's great to see that @YaManSmevz seems to be having a great time with it so far. I think it's pretty natural to want people to get the same enjoyment out of something that you, yourself did.

On 09/09/2021 at 4:00 PM, The_Kopite said:

I will get around to the other Spyro's definitely. Enjoyed the 1st one quite a lot. Hoping it won't be like Sly where I enjoyed the 1st one the most out of those. Trouble with the trolley, eh? Sounds intriguing lol

Trouble with the trolley eh? Is something that I, and probably many other people heard quite a few times as a result of one of the Orb challenges in Spyro 2 - it's not really difficult or anything, just a bit frustrating.

I think it's become a bit of a meme at this point.

You enjoyed Sly 1 the most? It's not often you hear that one. I can absolutely respect that though.  It's certainly a more streamlined and pure experience than the other Sly games - I think their attempts to vary the gameplay somewhat hamper the later titles a little bit. Especially the fourth one, that has a little too much of Bentleys hacking in it, which really slows the whole pace of of the game down quite a lot.

On 09/09/2021 at 4:00 PM, The_Kopite said:

It is one of those games (experiences) that stays with you for a while, and other games can seem a bit less engaging as a result. 

Yes!! That's unfortunately the case, you're so right, I'm about to start Beholder 2 tonight. I just couldn't face playing any games for a little bit after finishing Final Fantasy IX as you rightly said things can seem a bit less engaging as a result, so I needed to chill out for a bit before, I had the urge to jump back into the mix.

On 09/09/2021 at 7:24 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Now when Kuja pops up in the story I'm constantly going to be expecting an "Oh REALLY, Niles!!"

Haha!! :lol: -

Every time you see Amarant - you can think of this scene....

Especially when you get to the part when Amarant falls down a hole and needs to be rescued - what an absolute fanny!!

On 10/09/2021 at 9:54 AM, KindaSabbath said:

It makes me happy to see how much praise you received and all of the positive comments after you put in so much effort writing up such a stellar review

Thank you man!! It definitely makes it feel a lot more worthwhile now, spending almost all of last Saturday editing it until I was happy with it, I did feel a bit bad, as I kept saying I'd be posting it soon, and then not actually doing it yet, I had to make sure I was happy with it first. So I'm glad people didn't seem to mind the wait too much. I really do appreciate all the positivity.

Hey man, I really do appreciate that you will put some thought into recommending me the right JRPG to start with. The genre (as far as I'm aware) is notorious for having looooong games, so it would suck for me to jump into one that I end up not liking and be faced with a daunting 100hr+ completion. I trust your judgement though and you know what you're talking about! Speaking of judgement, I didn't think of a Yakuza game until you mentioned it. They have always looked interesting to me. Could be a good shout? 

I'm not claiming to be the resident master of all JRPG knowledge around here or anything - there's plenty of folk about who've definitely played more of them than I have. The ones I've played though I've been incredibly fond of to varying degrees. It's something that deserves a decent amount of thought though, because there's so many factors involved with recommending someone something like a JRPG. I'd feel awful if I ended up being the thing that put you off the entire genre or something, because there's genuinely some great experiences to be had amongst them.

I'd say the Yakuza games would be a good shout - I'm sure there might be some that'd read this and frown, because Yakuza isn't defined as a JRPG - but it's so close to being one it might as well be. They work on so many levels too, so it'd definitely be something that you might enjoy - they are long ones though apart from Yakuza 6 which is about 40 hours for the platinum.

Some of the earlier titles have got a pretty decent amount of challenge too, so I expect you'd get a kick out of that. They also have so many mini games in them there's usually always something to distract yourself with at various points. I've seen Yakuza 0 go on sale for about £3.99 in the past, so might be worth considering at some point if it's something you get a little bit more interested in.

I will definitely look into Ni No Kuni, that sounds great. I reckon some of my younger children would enjoy watching me play something of that nature. They love Pokemon, so that particular aspect could be awesome. 

I don't think its possible to have been playing video games for all these years and not having heard about Final Fantasy, alot. I've just never known where to jump in if I wanted to play, there's so many of them.

If they love Pokemon then I think you'd be safe on that front that they'd enjoy that part of it. Might enhance the part where you have to go and catch a specific amount of different ones for a trophy. It might be fun to have them around for that one, as they might enjoy seeing all the varieties of familiar, and seeing you "catch em all" so to speak.

It's got a film on Netflix too that's set in the games universe so if they were interested you could probably watch that together too. It is quite grindy game towards the end, and you'd probably be missing the difficulty factor -  but it's a hell of a good game Ni No Kuni, if the grind gets a bit much, you can always jump on your thread or in here and vent about it, I'm sure we'd all try and keep you motivated to get through it. 

That bit in bold - is an incredibly fair point. It's really daunting to know where to start in a series that large. If you were going to jump into a Final Fantasy game you wouldn't have to worry about knowing the previous games story, for the most part they are all quite self contained - so you can pretty much just jump into any of them and away you go, without having to read a bajillion wiki articles to familiarise yourself with what's going on. Arc suggested Final Fantasy X as a good jumping in point and I think that's certainly a worthy one.

I'll think about some more JRPG's though and I'll try and find a good first one for you.

Thank you for the compliment at the end. I'm honestly blown away by how much interest me playing Trials has garnered. I'm not really sure why, either. If it is indeed my passion for the series, then I can only hope it does encourage a few more people to pick them up and experience how fantastic these games are! I will do my best to put together a decent write up once I've wrapped up Fusion. The bar is set high from you boys, but honestly - that just inspires me to try harder and put more effort and thought into what I write.

You're so very welcome!!

On top of how passionate you are about it - I think the way in which you're going about updating your progress is probably a huge factor. The videos help us experience it almost vicariously with you.  The fact you give us your progress in such an honest manner goes a long way too. It'd be easy in a game that's incredibly skill based to come across as really - well without sounding too much like Victorian gent "braggadocios,"  which you absolutely don't. I think the way you go about it is fantastic, I think it'll make people that might have been put off by horror stories they'd heard about the difficulty think about starting it themselves. They'll see how much of a fun time you've been having and think "hey I want some of that myself!!"

Now.... I need to go put my fingers in a bucket of ice for a minute or two ?

I'd better get back to writing that review of Deus Ex Mankind Divided soon so I can post that at some point in the near future.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm not claiming to the resident master of all JRPG knowledge around here or anything - there's plenty of folk about who've definitely played more of them than I have. The ones I've played though I've been incredibly fond of to varying degrees. It's something that deserves a decent amount of thought though, because there's so many factors involved with recommending someone something like a JRPG. I'd feel awful if I ended up being the thing that put you off the entire genre or something, because there's genuinely some great experiences to be had amongst them.

I'd say the Yakuza games would be a good shout - I'm sure there might be some that'd read this and frown, because Yakuza isn't defined as a JRPG - but it's so close to being one it might as well be. They work on so many levels too, so it'd definitely be something that you might enjoy - they are long ones though apart from Yakuza 6 which is about 40 hours for the platinum.

Some of the earlier titles have got a pretty decent amount of challenge too, so I expect you'd get a kick out of that. They also have so many mini games in them there's usually always something to distract yourself with at various points. I've seen Yakuza 0 go on sale for about £3.99 in the past, so might be worth considering at some point if it's something you get a little bit more interested in.

If they love Pokemon then I think you'd be safe on that front that they'd enjoy that part of it. Might enhance the part where you have to go and catch a specific amount of different ones for a trophy. It might be fun to have them around for that one, as they might enjoy seeing all the varieties of familiar, and seeing you "catch em all" so to speak.

It's got a film on Netflix too that's set in the games universe so if they were interested you could probably watch that together too. It is quite grindy game towards the end, and you'd probably be missing the difficulty factor -  but it's a hell of a good game Ni No Kuni, if the grind gets a bit much, you can always jump on your thread or in here and vent about it, I'm sure we'd all try and keep you motivated to get through it. 

That bit in bold - is an incredibly fair point. It's really daunting to know where to start in a series that large. If you were going to jump into a Final Fantasy game you wouldn't have to worry about knowing the previous games story, for the most part they are all quite self contained - so you can pretty much just jump into any of them and away you go, without having to read a bajillion wiki articles to familiarise yourself with what's going on. Arc suggested Final Fantasy X as a good jumping in point and I think that's certainly a worthy one.

I'll think about some more JRPG's though and I'll try and find a good first one for you.

OK, so I've started doing a little research into some of these games - since as I (fingers crossed) should be wrapping up Fusion soon. 

Yakuza: These games straight up look dope. JRPG or not. Similar to the Final Fantasy games though, where the hell would you start ? - Not sure if the amount of mini games would be a positive or a negative, since as my kids regularly destroy me at connect 4. 

Final Fantasy: Outside of the extremely passionate experiences I hear from many regarding these games. The music is a big draw for me here. Almost anything I've watched regarding these games, I always think the music is so freaking good, man. 

Ni No Kuni: OK, aesthetically these games look straight up gorgeous. I'm leaning toward these at the moment as my first dip of the toes into JRPG waters. I'm going to give this a watch later:

To be honest I'm excited to just try out a new genre of video games in general. I'd like a bit of diversity to my profile. I'd like to complete a few games from many different genres.

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for stopping by to read it. It's not exactly like it takes a short amount of time to read.. The fact you did means a lot.

It's almost caught me by surprise how much this game ended up meaning to me by the end. It's a happy surprise though so it's all fine. Without sounding too much like a broken record, it's been made all the more special by being able to share it with everyone.

The bit I put in bold - honestly, thank you so much for stopping by. It's always nice to interact with more people. I'll always try and respond to everyone if I can - so don't feel like you can't pop in and say hello, or something similar. I'm honestly surprised by how active this thread has become. I was perfectly accepting of the fact starting out - that I'd just be posting reviews about old and new games every now and then (which I'd still be doing, and I am still doing. I just thought if people wanted to read them it's a bonus - which it absolutely still is, I just expected it to be a more lonesome experience, but I'm really glad it hasn't been. Especially when I review games with flying concrete dogs in them 1f602.png). So I'm glad, that these days it's almost got the atmosphere of a load friends just hanging out and talking about what they're passionate about - with some reviews and other things peppered in. At least that's how I see it. It's been such a blast.

Yeah exactly! This game was one of the first games I knew about as it was a big part of my household & will always be one of the ones that I remember for the right reasons so I'm glad people still enjoy it after all this time. I think it really shows why it's still regarded as one of the best games of all time. Yes I will try to drop by as much as I can as it's always nice to interact with people on this part of the forum so I'm just hoping my one will hopefully be well liked by people as well. I been thinking the past few days about starting one & just don't know how to start but I guess I need to just do it. I'm looking forward to more great reads!

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

I struggle a bit with reading ADHD (who doesn’t, in this age of smart phones and doom scrolling?). But seeing all the praise here, and knowing how much this game meant to you from conversations, I sat down with a couple cups of coffee on my patio on a nice Saturday morning and read through your entire review.

Bravo.  I welled up a little, a grown-ass late 30’s man.  I know very little about FFIX, but recognized character names as I had plenty of friends back in high school and college that were rabid FF fans, and this instantly brought many good memories flooding back.  Fantastic job staying away from spoilers and you’ve made me interested in playing the game, as well.

Keep on keepin’ on my dude.

• Like 3

I think you're totally on the money there - Final Fantasy IX has maintained it's quality for twenty years, and it almost certainly will for another twenty years too. It deserves to be so highly thought of.

I'm sure your thread will be great - don't worry about that. I'm sure it'll be well liked. Everyone is super supportive here, so I'm certain many of us will be popping by to say hello.

I know what you mean about thinking for a while before actually starting one - I'd say just take the plunge. Is there anything that's particularly stopping you? Like the theme of your Checklist, or what you want to name it.. I'm sure you'll find something awesome.  You can always edit your opening post if you end up not being happy with it. I update mine quite often, even though I'm about 99.9% sure I'm the only one that actually looks at it (I don't particularly expect people to either). Just because I'm looking forward to the day when I can have some of my Platinum Vault  spoiler tag panels properly filled out with links to reviews instead of just sparsely scattered like they are now. I mean writing more is the only way to remedy that problem too, so I guess I ought to churn more reviews out :lol:

Thanks again for the encouragement by the way.

Yeah there's some games that just maintain that legendary status for good reason & are the ones you'll remember for a long time. Yeah I'm hoping it is. I think the thing is I'm trying to think of a name although I can change that if needed I guess but would be nice to have a name that is relevant to what it's revolved around. I think I'll just start it to then see what happens & I'll reserve some posts in case. I'm sure yours will only get better & I'm sure it's not easy to organise but it's looking good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Destructor-8 said:

Yeah there's some games that just maintain that legendary status for good reason & are the ones you'll remember for a long time. Yeah I'm hoping it is. I think the thing is I'm trying to think of a name although I can change that if needed I guess but would be nice to have a name that is relevant to what it's revolved around. I think I'll just start it to then see what happens & I'll reserve some posts in case. I'm sure yours will only get better & I'm sure it's not easy to organise but it's looking good.

This is true - quality does tend to stand the test of time.

Yeah the name is a tough one - I definitely agree with that one. Mine took a while. Even though it was just smashing the names of two of my favourite songs together in the end. One is very specifically about memories too - which I thought seemed pretty relevant if I'm going to end up discussing a lot of my old games and experiences.

You can always drop me a message or something if you want to bounce some ideas around. I'm not suggesting my feedback might necessarily be helpful or anything, but if you wanted to, the option is there. You've got some outrageously awesome racing game accomplishments on your profile, so I'd guess you'd lean towards having it slightly related to that maybe.

That seems like a decent idea - to start it and go from there. I fully expected to change the name of mine - now I definitely don't think I will. I've grown to quite like it. However pretentious the name might sound ?.... Sounds like you've got a good positive mindset about it though, which is important. As I  said previously, I look forward to having a look when  you do.

• Like 1