DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

41 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Bit harsh don't you think 1f609.png.... If not a little too accurate haha. Sometimes they leave the window open for us so we don't overheat  - and occasionally they even leave a nice trough for us to drink out of and mix our rusks in! FOLEY ARTISTS FOR JUSTICE haha! They totally don't play this to us on a loop either 1f606.png

Haha - I didn't mean to use a broad brush like that - but those DVDs - for whatever reason - really did make those guys seem like the mole-people living under the film-set ?

Congratulations on that hitman trilogy review. That was fantastic, as these quite often are.  As a fellow Hitman enthusiast from all the way back to Silent Assassin myself, I think you did a wonderful job of getting across how much the series has mechanically evolved. It's almost staggering to think about. It's good to see someone that likes Haven Island, I'm not the biggest lover myself, but I can respect why you like it, I also like what it adds to the narrative for what it's worth. I just wish it was less flat.......Well  flat and the fact that you have to see that gross man naked, that's something I don't look forward to seeing with PS5 graphics. 

I actually totally know what you mean about Haven - there is a slight reduction in viability of some play styles with that one - in the same way there was with Colorado and Santa Fortuna - it really has to be treated as 3 distinct maps, and there isn't much use for long range tactics like snipers and such, but I really dug the level after a while. It's got the touristy-public thing that Sapienza had, (and actually, Bangkok could have had, if they hadn't made that one more about playing in the inner-workings and 'back-stage' areas of the hotel), but it also has three quite distinct targets, and unlike Colorado, there are quite a few different methods of getting different combinations to interact - with the kicker being the underground meet-up, which is a little like the Mumbai mission thing.

Great - now I've got to fight the urge even harder not to pick up a PS5 if I can, that's the only thing holding me back from playing Hitman 3 is the fact I know there's a superior version I should be playing instead. Nice to see Hitman 3 on the top of the mountain though - it seems doubtful that will get dethroned any time soon, but who knows.

I'll tell you - I ended up playing all of Hitman 3 on PS4 (as I didn't have a PS5 yet,) and after upgrading to the PS5 one, I have to say, aside from load times, I really didn't see much difference. It ran very well on PS4 (actually PS4 Pro - so the big set-up - the HDR - I had already.) In all honesty, having played both versions now, I really don't think it's a game that requires the upgrade. Sure, the PS5 is better,but it is very marginal - that's not casting shade on the PS5 version - it's just complimenting the PS4 one!

Very enjoyable read on God of War as well - that version of Kratos is such a fanny, well in actual fact he's the other word for that, the one that gets censored on here. Yep - he's a massive one of those...... A big bald stupid expletive. Yet as you pointed out, it doesn't stop those games being incredibly fun to play.

I've personally yet to touch the latest one, but I'm curious to see what nuance they add to Kratos as a character, from what some of my friends have told me, people have more or less overblown that aspect of the new one anyway.  But I guess I'll have to find that out for myself.

It's interesting what they do in the new God of War - they really do address the tonal difference - and the lack of Kratos' dimensionailty in the early games - by having him be basically ashamed of how singular he was in his own quest for vengeance. The character himself sees his past self as a 'one-dimensional character,'  so it basically allows the writers to address the tonal shift within the fiction. It's a smart idea, and one they do remarkably well.

I'm pretty gutted to read that about Jedi Fallen Order. Looks like I'll stick to having Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy installed on my console if I want a satisfying Star Wars experience.

Ugh. You know - going in, I was worried that if it was great, it might end up costing me money - in that I thought it might end up making me want to see all those recent movies...

...in the end, I think it somehow made me even less interested ?:facepalm:

I very much enjoyed your take on Life is Strange as well. I don;t want to say anything too much in case I tread too much into spoiler territory, but I very much enjoyed reading that.  Out of curiosity, what about that game reminded you of Fish Tank? Assuming we aren't both thinking of a different Fish Tank. I'm thinking of the Michael Fassbender/ Katie Jarvis one.

Yeah - that's the one! Man, it's been a while since I saw that movie, so take it with a grain of salt, I guess, but I saw some part of Katie Jarvis' character in both Max (her feeling outsider in her own life) and in Chloe's facade - and (setting aside the actual culmination of the two stories) there is a bit of the same slightly queasy, not-quite-right-ness of her early relationship with Fassbender that reminded me of the dynamic with the photography teacher (though obviously, that goes to a wild place in the final episode of LiS, that is very different!)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha - I didn't mean to use a broad brush like that - but those DVDs - for whatever reason - really did make those guys seem like the mole-people living under the film-set ?

Mole people is so accurate ?....My theory is people can't look you in the eye once they've seen you punching piles of meat, or squelching your hands in mixtures of cold cuts, milk and other disgusting things. So they send you to go live underground until you're needed again. Once they need you to go record noises of foxes in the woods in the middle of the night - then and only then might you get a sideways glance haha.

I actually totally know what you mean about Haven - there is a slight reduction in viability of some play styles with that one - in the same way there was with Colorado and Santa Fortuna - it really has to be treated as 3 distinct maps, and there isn't much use for long range tactics like snipers and such, but I really dug the level after a while. It's got the touristy-public thing that Sapienza had, (and actually, Bangkok could have had, if they hadn't made that one more about playing in the inner-workings and 'back-stage' areas of the hotel), but it also has three quite distinct targets, and unlike Colorado, there are quite a few different methods of getting different combinations to interact - with the kicker being the underground meet-up, which is a little like the Mumbai mission thing.

That's a great point about Haven. That's ironic about Haven not being that useful for Sniper tactics either, because there is a huge tower in the middle of the map, that would play into it quite nicely. The problem is the targets don't really line up with a quick kill that way. They all come into vantage point at some point, but none of them really in a satisfying way. I'm sure you can see like the smallest part of Ljudmila, it's a small gripe I know - but if you're sniping you usually want to tag them in the head right?

I got a real kick out of the underground bit in Haven island actually - made me think of Sapienza, which is still my favourite level across the two games I've played in the world of tomorrow trilogy. So much more of Hitman (2016) I remember more vividly. I guess as a result of playing it through multiple times. I've got an odd relationship with Colorado.It reminds me of one of the levels from Absolution - the one where you have to take out all the nuns, and I much preferred the brief taste of freedom that you were afforded in Absolution. I think the few levels that are a bit more sandboxy are for the most part quite good. I just wish Colorado gave you as much freedom, it has it sure, but I wish it had more. I always seemed to kill the Michael Myers looking guy in the shed and nowhere else, because it always seemed the most viable place to do it.  It's a funny one that's for sure.

I haven't got a PS4 Pro - so I'd be stuck with regular old Potato Mode 47. Which is fine I guess. I'll definitely consider picking it up on PS4 though in that case, if it's not all that much of a graphical leap.

t's interesting what they do in the new God of War - they really do address the tonal difference - and the lack of Kratos' dimensionailty in the early games - by having him be basically ashamed of how singular he was in his own quest for vengeance. The character himself sees his past self as a 'one-dimensional character,'  so it basically allows the writers to address the tonal shift within the fiction. It's a smart idea, and one they do remarkably well.

That's not what I expected at all - if only some of my friends had sold it like that. That's a very clever way of doing it. All I'd been told was that people overrate how much more depth Kratos has in that game. But in reality, any addition is pretty much like the progression from swimming a length in a swimming pool to swimming from Dover to Calais. Thanks for spelling it out like that though, I'm a little more inclined to bump that up the list of things to get around to.

I was getting my war paint ready when you started comparing God of War to Tomb Raider: Legend -  but it's okay, it quickly went back in the box ?

Ugh. You know - going in, I was worried that if it was great, it might end up costing me money - in that I thought it might end up making me want to see all those recent movies...

...in the end, I think it somehow made me even less interested ?:facepalm:

The problem is, I feel like I'm going to have a similar time with it when I eventually get around to playing it. More often than not it seems you and I tend to have fairly similar opinions in some areas, and some of the things you brought up regarding Fallen Order I know I'd find equally infuriating. There's no way I could be an apologist for it either. I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan, but I tend to fall on the side of if something is very obviously bad, or wastes it's potential that tends to annoy me more than it does make me inclined to make excuses for it. So that really is a shame to hear that about Fallen Order.

Yeah - that's the one! Man, it's been a while since I saw that movie, so take it with a grain of salt, I guess, but I saw some part of Katie Jarvis' character in both Max (her feeling outsider in her own life) and in Chloe's facade - and (setting aside the actual culmination of the two stories) there is a bit of the same slightly queasy, not-quite-right-ness of her early relationship with Fassbender that reminded me of the dynamic with the photography teacher (though obviously, that goes to a wild place in the final episode of LiS, that is very different!)

That makes sense..... There was me sitting there thinking I don't recall Max or Chloe almost using a child like a Frisbee. I definitely see what you mean about the relationship with the photography teacher, being similar to the Fassbender one in Fish Tank. My LiS knowledge is probably a little patchy at this point to be honest, I don't think I've played the first one since the last episode released. So it's been a good while now.  I could understand almost all of the other indie references you made, that one puzzled me a bit ?.  I haven't seen that film for a hot minute myself either, it was on Amazon Prime a while ago, I don't know if it still is. Although be prepared for Bobby Womack's version of California Dreaming to absolutely get stuck in your head.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Doc............

I'm glad to see this one on here...... I was actually going to request that from you at some point - just because I wanted to hear your opinion on those two - even though I already know you're fond of them, I wanted to hear it in more detail. Not that I need convincing to play a Lara Croft game with you know who (no not Voldemort, I've written about that guy far too much lately) as Lara. So I'm very much looking forward to reading that.

Also pretty pumped to read about the Adventures of Ashen Faced Angry Fanny in a Loin Cloth II - Electric Boogaloo...

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

UPDATE -

due to some work commitments, family life, and my apparently suffering a tremendous bout of writinglikeshitism, it is likely to take a little longer for this batch.

We've all been there xD goddamn lack of inspiration!

As long as you don't end up like George R.R. Martin, take all the creative time you need (and work lol)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

suffering a tremendous bout of writinglikeshitism

I don't believe you are even remotely capable of this man! We're all our own worst critics though right? You've been putting out such incredibly high quality content consistently for a while now. I mean - I struggle to get even three MUCH less high quality pieces out a week, so the fact that you manage five plus on a pretty much weekly basis, is so impressive.  

Still - take care of yourself mate....  You're doing the absolutely smart thing and not losing sight of what's important.

We'll all be here when you get the next batch out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

suffering a tremendous bout of writinglikeshitism

Ahhhh - I've suffered from this myself. For about 27 years. 

Jokes aside, just take your time brother. Quality content is something everyone is happy to wait for, and something you ALWAYS deliver. Look after yourself dude!

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 0:38 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

UPDATE -

due to some work commitments, family life, and my apparently suffering a tremendous bout of writinglikeshitism, it is likely to take a little longer for this batch.

Writinglikeshitism? That's my disorder!!

I'd like to throw my own assurances onto the pile - you've got a lot of hard-earned respect around here, and it's not just your top-tier writing, you're also a generally pleasant and deservedly well-liked person. I must admit to agreeing with rjkclarke that the idea of you having difficulty writing is a baffling one, you make it seem so effortless, but I suppose we are all human at the end of the day.

Real life, particularly family, always comes first. Maybe once things don't feel so much like they're piling on you, the writing will come more naturally again. But first things first! As everybody else said, look after yourself, and take care of what you've got to take care of. Ain't nobody goin anywhere!

• Like 4

On 23/09/2021 at 5:08 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

UPDATE -

Bold-Huge-Indianrhinoceros-size-restrict

apologies

All good man! I've been a bit busy as well so I can relate! ? Take the time you need; if you end up writing out of obligation rather than passion, you'll be burned out and we cannot let scientific progress be marred!
As @YaManSmevz summarized pretty much perfectly; real life and family come first. That's the ol' adage to live by! And as he also said, we ain't running anywhere! Take care man, and we'll see your future writings whenever you're ready for 'em!

• Like 2

Man, I pity you having to play through 'Jedi: Fallen Order' as a Star Wars agnostic. I absolutely love Star Wars so can tolerate pretty much any shite if it has a Star Wars veneer but this game was exceptionally bland. I don't usually spend more than a fiver on a game but I decided to splash out for this game as a special treat as it was going to be my 100th platinum. Bad call! 

I've already used the word 'bland' above so typed 'bland synonym' into Google. Google suggested: Uninteresting, dull, boring, monotonous, tedious, unimaginative, uninspiring, insipid, stale, flat, vapid, mediocre and nondescript. You could have saved yourself a few hour's work and got Google to write the review for you Doc! Would you agree the above almost perfectly describes the game? :)

I actually found the post- game collectathon to be amongst the most enjoyable aspects of the game. I found a fantastic series of collectible guides on Youtube produced by a fellow Taff so found the brainless job of going methodically through each planet collecting all the collectibles whilst listening to the wenglish accent of my compatriot relaxing, if not outright enjoyable. 

I've played many far worse games but at least 'Albedo: Eyes from outer space' or 'Little Adventure on the Prairie' are so bad that they elicit some sort of emotional response from the player. This game couldn't even do bad well.

If anyone's thinking of getting this game, play it, or don't play it. You'll have forgotten it existed 10 minutes after popping the platinum and deleting it from your system. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I actually found the post- game collectathon to be amongst the most enjoyable aspects of the game. I found a fantastic series of collectible guides on Youtube produced by a fellow Taff so found the brainless job of going methodically through each planet collecting all the collectibles whilst listening to the wenglish accent of my compatriot relaxing, if not outright enjoyable. 

[...]

If anyone's thinking of getting this game, play it, or don't play it. You'll have forgotten it existed 10 minutes after popping the platinum and deleting it from your system. 

?

Trust me - my not using a guide for those collectibles until the very, very end, and trying to rely on the in game counters and percentages meant Jedi will not be one I forget 10 minutes after popping the platinum - that game is going to live in infamy in my mind for a long ass time ?l?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

not using a guide for those collectibles until the very, very end, and trying to rely on the in game counters and percentages

Oof! Man! There are hundreds of collectibles in all sorts of weird nooks and crannies and the in-game percentage counters are not really tied to the collectibles you need for the 100%. That must have been awful. No wonder you're still traumatised!! 

Do you generally try to avoid using collectible guides or was that just a one off for this game? 

Edited by JoesusHCrust

29 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I much prefer text guides too. Half watching a video and half playing a game does tend to spoil the experience. 

I agree that half a collectible tracker is worse than none, and J:FO does a memorably bad job of tracking collectibles. In fact, it's very telling indeed that I found the whole game totally forgettable except for the collectible tracking which even I noticed was ridiculously bad- and I really don't notice these sorts of details usually! 

I often enjoy collectibles (it's a low skill, high patience way of getting UR trophies for someone like me at least!) but if the collectibles were the highlight of a game, and even they were done badly it's not a great sign!!! 

• Like 2

That was a hell of a good read as ever man!

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Stumbling around will, most likely, eventually solve the puzzle within a reasonable timeframe. 

Well that was certainly how I used to find my way through the Myst games (can we have a collection of those for console please). Fiddle with everything until it works ( word to the wise folks, this doesn't work in real life ?). 

I too was pretty stricken by those bugs in Ether One, in fact I think when I first played it, it was broken to the point where I think the platinum might have been unattainable. But I could be misremembering that I'm sure I played it in 2015 - I did the exact same thing you did man, where you switch the game off thinking it had crashed - when in fact it just wanted you to sit in a loading screen for half a day.

I'd never really thought of it like a Walking Sim before - but I can totally see where you're coming from, I always just saw it as a puzzler, with fairly light puzzle elements, compared to what I'd usually come to expect from the genre, but also I guess Ether One was my first Walking Sim without me even knowing about it.... The more you know eh?

It's a shame because it is one of those ones where as you alluded to, you have to say  "well......The stories great, BUT..... It's also fairly heavy on bugs" that's an understatement too, the narrative really is great - and it's very memorable too.

I genuinely laughed out loud a few times during that God of War II write up -  you made Kratos sound exactly like what he is - which is the barbarous equivalent of one of those self absorbed people who constantly spout their really offensive or unnecessary view points - then if people get offended, turn it on you by quickly hiding behind the veneer of "hey I can say what I like. it's fine that I THINK THAT, it's just an opinion." Instead of learning from their past a bit, which apparently from what you've said they address a fair bit in the latest one. Unfortunately this Kratos is likely to use your arms and legs as twirling batons if you disagree with those viewpoints.

You'll get no disagreement from me about God of War II being better than Tomb Raider: Legend, however I much I might personally like that game.

However.....

While I am a big fan of Tomb Raider: Legend, it has to be noted that, of the three 'strains' of Crystal Dynamics Lara-Croft-featuring games, I think the lesser is their original trilogy. That is not a denigration - Legend is, after all, still pretty highly ranked - however, I think it represents the best version of the least interesting form of Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider game

I really wish I could disagree with this application of science - but I just don't... That trilogy is a bit of a mess in places - which you kind of just can't get around however much I might personally enjoy it. I'm certainly not blind to the problems it has.

You need to make me stop getting the urge of reaching for my dusty PS3 controller every time you talk about these Lara Croft titles man! I still can't quite fathom the fact I haven't played them yet - pretty shite Tomb Raider fan huh?

You did this one an insane amount of justice though - and I very much look forward to the time that I do tackle them. The co-op element to them sounds incredibly interesting, especially as playing it solo and co-op gives it some extra re-playability that's a fantastic feature.

Which reminds me.... I have a little Tomb Raider revisit of my own that I need to finish off!

I was also very happy to learn that you don't need to have the level of skill those maniacs that play Dance Dance Revolution on a keyboard at high speeds posses, to have fun with those Persona titles - I've been interested in them for a bit, at least the Persona 3 one at least as it's the only Persona I've played. I SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK at Rhythm Games, so to hear that you don't need to be absolutely godlike to get through them is definitely a big bonus.

From what you wrote about Deathloop. Which looks like it's been another quality outing from Arkane, if not quite as high quality as some of their other outings - I found the thing with Julianna really interesting to read about, that's a really interesting element that you could have your progress suddenly interrupted and then the entire aspect of that part your playing could change as a result, that's a fascinating inclusion!

I could already see you were going to compare Through the Darkest of Times with This War of Mine - from the outset, the way you described it they sounded very tonally similar. It doesn't sound like the gameplay is anything too similar though.

It's a shame that from what you'd written the game doesn't seem to stand up too well to multiple playthroughs in quick succession. Due in no small part to repetition. Some games seem to do that far better than others, this one seemingly not so much.

This seems like one of those games where the inclusion of trophies doesn't really benefit it all that much, because it required you to go far beyond the games natural runtime.... Or perhaps I'm being unfair to the trophies and it's just not structured in a way that's particularly repeatable? I couldn't say - as I've not personally played it.

Incredibly interesting stuff as ever mate.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Well that was certainly how I used to find my way through the Myst games (can we have a collection of those for console please). Fiddle with everything until it works ( word to the wise folks, this doesn't work in real life 1f602.png). 

man - for a long time, between playing Myst on the Acorn computer my mom would bring home from the school she taught at during summers, and the Discworld point and click game, I thought "Try everything on everything until a thing happens" was basically what videogames were!

You've got to hand it to Myst - I haven't touched that game in 20 years, but I can still recall some of the images clear as any game - I remember reading they re-released it in full 3D, for VR on PC, but it never seemed to make it to PSVR. I know that crowd-funded new game Obduction is from the same devs, and I think that's on PS4, so I should really check that out...

I too was pretty stricken by those bugs in Ether One, in fact I think when I first played it, it was broken to the point where I think the platinum might have been unattainable. But I could be misremembering that I'm sure I played it in 2015 - I did the exact same thing you did man, where you switch the game off thinking it had crashed - when in fact it just wanted you to sit in a loading screen for half a day.

I'd never really thought of it like a Walking Sim before - but I can totally see where you're coming from, I always just saw it as a puzzler, with fairly light puzzle elements, compared to what I'd usually come to expect from the genre, but also I guess Ether One was my first Walking Sim without me even knowing about it.... The more you know eh?

It's a shame because it is one of those ones where as you alluded to, you have to say  "well......The stories great, BUT..... It's also fairly heavy on bugs" that's an understatement too, the narrative really is great - and it's very memorable too.

The problem is, from our point of view on this site, a game like Ether One which excels in one area, but suffers in another really can't be viewed as the good aspect, given that we tend to want that platinum, so we have to view the whole game as a package. I mean, it's not like it should ever be acceptable that one aspect of a game is lacking, but with the advent of achievements and trophies, it really does make 'turning a blind eye' to the less good sides of games less tenable - if there's trophies attached to an aspect of a game, we are always going to judge that game based on those!

I really wish I could disagree with this application of science - but I just don't... That trilogy is a bit of a mess in places - which you kind of just can't get around however much I might personally enjoy it. I'm certainly not blind to the problems it has.

Yeah, it's not like I didn't enjoy the Keeley Hawes trilogy - and Legend it definitely the best of that lot in my opinion - it's just... there's something not quite as impressive about them. It might just be that those are the ones where Crystal Dynamics are still wearing Core Designs old clothes. They can clean them up, and do some tailoring, but in the end, that retro sports coat is never going to look as fresh and brand new as it did when Core was wearing it in it's prime - back in the Tomb Raider II days.

As well as Crystal managed to inject their new ideas into th existing formula, both the Lara Croft games, and the rebooted trilogy proved just how much more they had in the tank, and going back now, it does feel like the original trilogy was them 'paying off Core's outstanding debts' before they could clean the slate and start their own thing.

You need to make me stop getting the urge of reaching for my dusty PS3 controller every time you talk about these Lara Croft titles man! I still can't quite fathom the fact I haven't played them yet - pretty shite Tomb Raider fan huh?

You did this one an insane amount of justice though - and I very much look forward to the time that I do tackle them. The co-op element to them sounds incredibly interesting, especially as playing it solo and co-op gives it some extra re-playability that's a fantastic feature.

Oh - it's worth noting, both are great - but actually (and I didn't do this, so take it with a grain of salt...) I genuinely think the better way to approach those two Lara Croft games may actually be in reverse order... doing Temple of Osiris first.

They control very similarly, and are definitely in the same gameplay vein - the big different is that Orisis allows for up to 4player co-op rather than 2-player, but Osiris is oddly easier and more manageable - and in this day and age, when access to a PS4 game is easier, I think that could be a good way to get the flavour for them, without having to blow the dust out of the PS3!

I was also very happy to learn that you don't need to have the level of skill those maniacs that play Dance Dance Revolution on a keyboard at high speeds posses, to have fun with those Persona titles - I've been interested in them for a bit, at least the Persona 3 one at least as it's the only Persona I've played. I SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK at Rhythm Games, so to hear that you don't need to be absolutely godlike to get through them is definitely a big bonus.

Dude - I have all the rhythm game ability of a geriatric's coronary infarction, so if I can do them, literally anyone can ?

Basically, there is one prerequisite to playing Persona Dancing Games - do you feel F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S? ???

From what you wrote about Deathloop. Which looks like it's been another quality outing from Arkane, if not quite as high quality as some of their other outings - I found the thing with Julianna really interesting to read about, that's a really interesting element that you could have your progress suddenly interrupted and then the entire aspect of that part your playing could change as a result, that's a fascinating inclusion!

Deathloop has been one of my most odd experiences with a game and popular opinion in a long time!

So, you know how I feel about Arkane games generally - Prey, Dishonoured - they tickle my balls in a way very few games can, but the general consensus has always been tepid - "These are good, but niche" and they kind of run under the radar a bit.

Then comes Deathloop - and the critical reception has been off the charts. Every podcast and site I look at is head over heels in love with it! 

I like it a lot, don't get me wrong, and I can totally see why it's got appeal beyond the usual crowd of Immersive Sim weirdos (of which I am happy to be one!) however, a strange thing I've noticed is - most of the things those glowing reviews cite as great about it WERE ALSO GREAT IN THOSE PREVIOUS GAMES!

I'm over here being like "What Happened before, guys?!?!"

I mean, maybe it's just a time and place thing - folks more willing to see positives in a big exclusive during a relative drought (I suspect some of the same thing that happened with Returnal), but the funny thing with Deathloop is...

When I finished Dishonoured, I loved it, and wanted more Dishonoured.

When I finished Prey, I loved it, and wanted more Prey.

When I finished Deathloop, I loved it... and I wanted more Dishonoured and Prey!

I could already see you were going to compare Through the Darkest of Times with This War of Mine - from the outset, the way you described it they sounded very tonally similar. It doesn't sound like the gameplay is anything too similar though.

It's a shame that from what you'd written the game doesn't seem to stand up too well to multiple playthroughs in quick succession. Due in no small part to repetition. Some games seem to do that far better than others, this one seemingly not so much.

This seems like one of those games where the inclusion of trophies doesn't really benefit it all that much, because it required you to go far beyond the games natural runtime.... Or perhaps I'm being unfair to the trophies and it's just not structured in a way that's particularly repeatable? I couldn't say - as I've not personally played it.

Yeah, it's one of those games - I so want to recommend it, as there is huge value in seeing it through for the first few times, but it has to come with those technical caveats - and even more caveats for completionists - it will wear out it's welcome a bit. It's just the price you have to pay!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Reading your most recent ranking post, I was struck by this comment:

It feels weird to mention the other two Dancing games here, as neither is yet ranked, but it is worth noting that, while I enjoy the music of Persona 4 a lot, I do think the music lends itself a little less well to this kind of rhythm game than the music selections of either other game, and I do think the lengthly Visual Novel sections drag a bit. That does virtually guarantee that both Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight and Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight will eventually rank higher and while that doesn't necessarily help in this placement, it is of value to consider.

As someone who thought that the P3 and P5 Dancing games were rather a downgrade from P4D, I eagerly await your scientific analysis.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Reading your most recent ranking post, I was struck by this comment:

It feels weird to mention the other two Dancing games here, as neither is yet ranked, but it is worth noting that, while I enjoy the music of Persona 4 a lot, I do think the music lends itself a little less well to this kind of rhythm game than the music selections of either other game, and I do think the lengthly Visual Novel sections drag a bit. That does virtually guarantee that both Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight and Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight will eventually rank higher and while that doesn't necessarily help in this placement, it is of value to consider.

As someone who thought that the P3 and P5 Dancing games were rather a downgrade from P4D, I eagerly await your scientific analysis.

The funny thing with those games, is that if I was asked, prior to playing them, which music I preferred from the main games, P4 would have been my answer for sure - I liked the music in Persona 5 a lot, and I still haven't played P3, but P4 had the most memorable tracks to me, and I certainly remembered more music from that one than P5...

...but for some reason, I found that P4, in terms of the actual enjoyment of the soundtrack in that rhythm game setting, to be the weaker of the the three. 

I can't quite put my finger on whether that is simply overfamiliarity with P4 music, or it just doesn't quite lend itself to being removed from the in-context settings of the JRPG, but it was definitely the case for me :hmm::hmm::dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Starting with the visuals, Ether One is pretty strong. It is first-person, and as a port from PC, bringing with it a particularly clean and crisp 'Half-Life-esque' visual style. The sections of the game that take place in the 'real-world', within the Ether corporation labs, have a heavy Portal-meets-Bioshock vibe - Portal in the sense of the technological art-style (aided significantly by the GladOS-like ever-present voice-over accompaniment of Dr Phyllis,) and Bioshock in the art-deco inspired signage and building design. It looks perfectly adequate, if never outstanding. 

This is giddy to my ears; a visual mix of Half-Life, Portal, and Bioshock you say? I may need to try this one out on this alone! ?
However, with the crashing and inventory stuff, do you reckon I should give this a go? I've dealt with glitchy experiences like Cyberpunk 2077 and Sonic Colours: Ultimate, but do you think this detracts from the experience?

I might play it back-to-back with The Spectrum Retreat when I get around to playing it. You've opened up quite a lot of games for me to check out, thanks!

L756f32.png

God of War II

Awesome review on Bald Justice 2: Titanic Boogaloo God of War II! ?

When it comes to the game being developed on the PS2, I think it's in part due to developing games for the PS3 being godawful at first, and I believe it's also the reason Persona 4 released on the PS2 as well (I'm still hoping for a PS4/PS5 release, can't believe the Dancing spinoff from the Vita gets a port but not the main game!!! ?).

I've been thinking of playing the other GoW games since all I've played are GoW 3 Remastered and GoW 4, but the rest are on PS3, and in Australia we don't have PS Now for some reason, so I gotta dust off ol' Mr. PS3 again... I believe one of the GoW games has an online trophy or something, so if I get to doing them, I'll probably do that first. I think it was Ascension? Going from the PS5 controller back to the PS3 controller is gonna feel awkward! ?

As for the sequel, GoW 3, I feel as though the writers attempted to put Kratos in a new direction, with Pandora and everything, but I wish they elaborated on it more; he only really regrets the thought of using her at the very last moment. The whole mentor thing was explored much more in GoW 4 and really fleshed out Kratos as something more than an angry guy.

With that said, if it's alright, I'd like to add God of War 3: Remastered to the priority list but only if you're okay with it. I say this because I can tell Kratos' one note character isn't your thing, but I'm so eager to hear your thoughts on his progression as a person in GoW 4 that I'd love to continue hearing your thoughts on the series!

It feels weird to mention the other two Dancing games here, as neither is yet ranked, but it is worth noting that, while I enjoy the music of Persona 4 a lot, I do think the music lends itself a little less well to this kind of rhythm game than the music selections of either other game, and I do think the lengthly Visual Novel sections drag a bit. That does virtually guarantee that both Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight and Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight will eventually rank higher and while that doesn't necessarily help in this placement, it is of value to consider.

Gonna be cool to see your thoughts on the other dancing games, especially Persona 3: Dancing since you haven't played P3 yet; I wonder what your thoughts on the character interactions are? ? The social links definitely play a large part of P3/P5 Dancing and you spend most of your time doing stuff to unlock all of them, and it definitely serves a replacement for the visual novel aspect P4:D had. Admittedly, the visual novel stuff did go on for quite a long time, didn't it? I wish Specialist was incorporated in the story somehow! One can only wish... ?

L46f259.png

Deathloop

Man, this game's been everywhere, hasn't it? ? I've been hearing so much positive stuff about it. Out of all the games you've played, placing it at 30 is a pretty high ranking, which means it's good stuff! When you mention the day resetting every 24 hours, Groundhog Day instantly popped up in my head. If that's the premise the game takes, that's pretty cool! If only Bill Murray were in the game... If only. When you mention that the enemies feel similar to that of the ones in Bioshock, it makes me curious to see what the devs were thinking when making Deathloop. I've only played Bioshock Infinite, so I don't have much knowledge on 1 and 2, but I can only imagine that Deathloop's enemies as a result are quite zany, and after playing the Borderlands series, I love me some zany!

Cool stuff, and I look forward to what's next!

• Like 2