DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Flipping Death's artstyle reminds me a ton of Rayman Legends. I dunno... there's just something about it. That's a good thing by the way, Rayman Legends is a good lookin' game! I decided to check a gameplay video of Flipping Death and I ended up on a guy blowing a trumpet into a whale? ?

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Morbid: The Seven Acolytes

Summary: 

A pixel-art Souls-like with a gory, Pagan-steam-punk aesthetic and Lovecraftian, Eldritch horror overtures,

Ahhhh, you've described my basement perfectly!..... Just kidding, I have no basement. ? Nonetheless, it'd be quite quirky if I had eldritch horrors in my basement!
That terrible joke I made aside, I can see why you wouldn't find Morbid to be the best of games. When approaching a Souls-like experience, it's got to be hard, but also fair. When you mention having to get the first hit off an enemy otherwise you lose, it sort of reminds me of Tower Defense games, which I can see isn't exactly the best approach a dev would make when going for a tough but fair experience. Since you don't lose levels, it seems that it's challenge is more so frustrating than a true challenge.
This is why I love Furi. It's tough, but every death is always fair and there's always a strategy available; and your health restores through each phase of a boss so it's doable, even on the hardest difficulty. And also kickass music. Can't forget the kickass music. ? (Did I mention that Furi's music is really good?)

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Split into 4 parts, with each treated like a new episode in an anthology TV show, (complete with VHS Box aesthetic and stylish, 80's cult-TV inspired intro repeating the beginning of each,) Stories Untold takes 3 seemingly unrelated - and mechanically dissimilar - tales, each of which plays with some version of isolation, of miscommunication, and of the slow, queasy, horror of dissimilating forbidden knowledge, and over these 30-60 minute stories, builds to a Twilight Zone / Outer Limits-esque finale both on a micro level - within the individual episode - and on a macro level - with the final episode serving as both wrap-around, and stylish re-contextualisation of the previous proceedings.

I gotta say, this reminds me of a fusion of Crash 4's flashback tapes and Portal... VHS filter? Crash 4 vibes. Feeling of isolation and finding forbidden knowledge? That's Portal alright! It's pretty crazy how even though so many games are incredibility different, they all share similar attributes... I really do think some video games can be art; just like other art, they subconsciously have inspired concepts from other works, and they push each other to create new things with an amalgamation of stored ideas in a whole new context.
And you've just reminded me that Papers, Please is a cool game that exists! ?

Aaaaaaaaand it's only on Vita. ? So many gems are locked away on that sacred device...

I can't comment much on Déraciné since I don't have much to add, but I can say that being in a time loop during the finale redoing the same thing over and over is some serious Matrix shenanigans! I can only imagine how long some people must've been on that! I would've probably been stuck on that too honestly!
As for Accounting+, I must say that I loved the Stanley Parable!... which came out, what, a decade ago? Makin' me feel old and I'm not even old! ? And with great humor at that? Damn, I wish I had a VR alongside a Vita!

In any case, I'd like to suggest Kena: Bridge of Spirits for the next batch if that's quite alright, I loved Ember Labs' work on their Majora's Mask animation, and seeing them make a game was quite inspiring! Can't wait to see your analysis on that one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Flipping Death's artstyle reminds me a ton of Rayman Legends. I dunno... there's just something about it. That's a good thing by the way, Rayman Legends is a good lookin' game! I decided to check a gameplay video of Flipping Death and I ended up on a guy blowing a trumpet into a whale? 1f605.png

? Yup, that sounds about right!

It's one of those games that really harks back to the old Monkey Island / Maniac Mansion style puzzle solutions - where they seem ridiculous, yet have a sort of absurdist logic...

"I need to clear this whale's blowhole... well... this guy blows a trumpet... so...." :hmm::hmm:?

Ahhhh, you've described my basement perfectly!..... Just kidding, I have no basement. 1f605.png Nonetheless, it'd be quite quirky if I had eldritch horrors in my basement!
That terrible joke I made aside, I can see why you wouldn't find Morbid to be the best of games. When approaching a Souls-like experience, it's got to be hard, but also fair. When you mention having to get the first hit off an enemy otherwise you lose, it sort of reminds me of Tower Defense games, which I can see isn't exactly the best approach a dev would make when going for a tough but fair experience. Since you don't lose levels, it seems that it's challenge is more so frustrating than a true challenge.
This is why I love Furi. It's tough, but every death is always fair and there's always a strategy available; and your health restores through each phase of a boss so it's doable, even on the hardest difficulty. And also kickass music. Can't forget the kickass music. 1f60e.png (Did I mention that Furi's music is really good?)

Oh, yeah ? Morbid I had such high hopes for, and it just.... meh. Didn't live up to them. A real shame.

Furi's this year - I'm sure! - I kept boucing it and putting it off, but so many folks seem to be getting in on it now, that I won't get a chance to forget this time!

I gotta say, this reminds me of a fusion of Crash 4's flashback tapes and Portal... VHS filter? Crash 4 vibes. Feeling of isolation and finding forbidden knowledge? That's Portal alright! It's pretty crazy how even though so many games are incredibility different, they all share similar attributes... I really do think some video games can be art; just like other art, they subconsciously have inspired concepts from other works, and they push each other to create new things with an amalgamation of stored ideas in a whole new context.
And you've just reminded me that Papers, Please is a cool game that exists! 1f605.png

Aaaaaaaaand it's only on Vita. 1f62d.png So many gems are locked away on that sacred device...

You know - I played Papers, Please on Vita... but I've played it since on an iPad, and it's actually a much better game there - having the extra real-estate of the bigger screen is a big help - so if you have a tablet, that might be a possibility?

It's such a good game!

I can't comment much on Déraciné since I don't have much to add, but I can say that being in a time loop during the finale redoing the same thing over and over is some serious Matrix shenanigans! I can only imagine how long some people must've been on that! I would've probably been stuck on that too honestly!

It's one of those ones - I might not have mentioned it, as I thought the game worked very well - but when I was glancing at some opinions after the fact, it was pretty astounding how many people had mistaken the ending for an actual glitch or a bug, and it did make me sit and think about that - and there really isn't any way, once you are at that point, to pick up the clues you might have missed early on... so I can see how some people might have just ended up stopping in frustration!

In any case, I'd like to suggest Kena: Bridge of Spirits for the next batch if that's quite alright, I loved Ember Labs' work on their Majora's Mask animation, and seeing them make a game was quite inspiring! Can't wait to see your analysis on that one!

Don't worry - Kena is for sure in the next batch - I've only 3 games on there outstanding right now (Kena, The Forgotten City and Outer Wilds), so my plan is the next batch will be those three, plus 2 of the overdue Priority Ranking Requests - and any new S-Ranks in the mean time will be bonus games on that one!

Seems like a big task, that batch,? but I gotta get back in the proper swing of this list ASAP, as those Priorities are piling up!

• Like 1

The Morbid review was spot on, you pretty much summed up my thoughts after finishing the game. I somehow enjoyed what I played, probably mainly because it was short since I really can't think of too many positives about it.

I liked the atmosphere and the pacing was decent. From an artists point of view the sprites were a mixed bag, the game had a lot of shadow casting errors and this is always something that bugs me, its ok if you cast wrong shadows for esthetic purposes but if there is a lack of consistency it looks awful very fast. My biggest issue though was the animation quality, especially hit sequences feel like they miss in-between steps, I am not sure if this was done purposely to mimic a souls game or due to a lack of manpower to draw more sprites. That made a lot of the animations look very unflowy and annoyed me all the way to the credits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

The Morbid review was spot on, you pretty much summed up my thoughts after finishing the game. I somehow enjoyed what I played, probably mainly because it was short since I really can't think of too many positives about it.

I liked the atmosphere and the pacing was decent. From an artists point of view the sprites were a mixed bag, the game had a lot of shadow casting errors and this is always something that bugs me, its ok if you cast wrong shadows for esthetic purposes but if there is a lack of consistency it looks awful very fast. My biggest issue though was the animation quality, especially hit sequences feel like they miss in-between steps, I am not sure if this was done purposely to mimic a souls game or due to a lack of manpower to draw more sprites. That made a lot of the animations look very unflowy and annoyed me all the way to the credits.

That's interesting about the shadows - it's not something I noticed, but I looking at a video, and I see what you mean!

The animations lacking frames was a little strange - I figured it was a stylistic choice, but it did affect some enemies - in particular the Maestro - his piano playing animations just didn't look right - they could have really done with a bit more smoothness!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's interesting about the shadows - it's not something I noticed, but I looking at a video, and I see what you mean!

The animations lacking frames was a little strange - I figured it was a stylistic choice, but it did affect some enemies - in particular the Maestro - his piano playing animations just didn't look right - they could have really done with a bit more smoothness!

Its a decent first try, you can see there is potential and good ideas. If they are able to reflect on their missteps and improve on them this could lead to a good second game. I think they overpacked it from an artistic point of view, it feels visually crowded and combined with the jankiness of the animation its really not a pleasant experience. At least for me it wasn't.

Generally if the art is consistent even an overloaded concept can work out, but this was clearly not done on purpose. Less is often more and even with a restricted palette you can create something very readable, the best recent example is death door, toned down colors but super clear visually. I can highly recommend it by the way, this was by a huge margin my game of the year and it got robbed of its indie goty award by Kena that looks dreadfully kitschy in my opinion but I guess it fits the tasteless consensus of what pretty has to look like.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

Its a decent first try, you can see there is potential and good ideas. If they are able to reflect on their missteps and improve on them this could lead to a good second game. I think they overpacked it from an artistic point of view, it feels visually crowded and combined with the jankiness of the animation its really not a pleasant experience. At least for me it wasn't.

hear here - there's the bones of something workable in there - the same aesthetic with a better core and a bit more finesse could still yield some tasty fruit down the line!

32 minutes ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

Generally if the art is consistent even an overloaded concept can work out, but this was clearly not done on purpose. Less is often more and even with a restricted palette you can create something very readable, the best recent example is death door, toned down colors but super clear visually. I can highly recommend it by the way, this was by a huge margin my game of the year and it got robbed of its indie goty award by Kena that looks dreadfully kitschy in my opinion but I guess it fits the tasteless consensus of what pretty has to look like.

you know... you're not the first person to mention Death's Door to me, but that's a hell of a strong pitch... might need to add this one to the wishlist as see what all the fuss is about, as it's sounding like an overlooked gem to me!

• Like 3

I'm here! ?

And I've just read your Flipping Death (scientific) review. Awesome, as always. ?

Yeah, players don't need a walkthrough when playing it. They just need to check and beat the in-chapter challenges. The characters in the game pretty much carried me through the game. :D

By the way, I'm getting the EU stack of Flipping Death, so that I can experience this time-travelling adventure all over again. :popcorn:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

I'm here! 1f44b.png

And I've just read your Flipping Death (scientific) review. Awesome, as always. 1f44d.png

Yeah, players don't need a walkthrough when playing it. They just need to check and beat the in-chapter challenges. The characters in the game pretty much carried me through the game. :D

Haha, me too - that hint system with the pictures is actually a rad idea though - reminded me a little of Machinarium, if you ever played that one? It was an indie adventure game from the Ps3 time - where all the instructions and dialogue were just sketched diagrams - makes it all feel a lot less mechanical than a text hint!

21 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

By the way, I'm getting the EU stack of Flipping Death, so that I can experience this time-travelling adventure all over again. :popcorn:

Nice - a second trip on board the The SS “I’m Having an Afffaaaaiiiiiir”! ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha, me too - that hint system with the pictures is actually a rad idea though - reminded me a little of Machinarium, if you ever played that one? It was an indie adventure game from the Ps3 time - where all the instructions and dialogue were just sketched diagrams - makes it all feel a lot less mechanical than a text hint!

I played Machinarium last year. Thanks to PS Now. Since I'm an admirer of point-and-clickers, I love it too. :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

hear here - there's the bones of something workable in there - the same aesthetic with a better core and a bit more finesse could still yield some tasty fruit down the line!

you know... you're not the first person to mention Death's Door to me, but that's a hell of a strong pitch... might need to add this one to the wishlist as see what all the fuss is about, as it's sounding like an overlooked gem to me!

The italicized title made me grin, someone knows how to write his academic essays. On the other hand it should be a bare minimum to keep it super scientific.

I guess I was a little hard on Kena, while I am sure it's decent it really rubbed me the wrong way that they obviously went for the people pleaser instead of the better game. Well let me add a cherry on top of my pitchcake. Get Death's Door and if I oversold it or you found Kena better I ll pay for you game.

Edited by Fleks_Mhteam
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

The italicized title made me grin, someone knows how to write his academic essays. On the other hand it should be a bare minimum to keep it super scientific.

I guess I was a little hard on Kena, while I am sure it's a decent it really rubbed me the wrong way that they obviously went for the people pleaser instead of the better game. Well let me add a cherry on top of my pitchcake. Get Death's Door and if I oversold it or you found Kena better I ll pay for you game.

You know - I did like Kena quite a bit - it's a game that is unlikely to be tickling the top 50 or 60 on the ranking when it gets done, but I still see it placing pretty well.  The look is what it is - stylistically, it very close to the modern Walt Disney Animation Studios style - kind of the same character model design as something like Big Hero 6. Whether you like that style or not is going to be entirely down to taste, of course, but within that sphere, I've certainly never seen animation quality of the level Kena has in a videogame - and to come from a smaller developer, that's saying something!

The bigger surprise for me with Kena though, was how incongruous the gameplay is with that visual style - you would think, given the look, that it would be pitched as a fairly simplistic platformer with fairly light combat, but actually, as much as the visuals and story are "family friendly", the gameplay is anything but. It's a game where the combat is actually pretty tricky and unforgiving - and some of the bosses, particularly on higher difficulties, but even on normal - are complicated and remarkably difficult. There are a good few bosses fights that really wouldn't be out of place in a Dark Souls game - and that was really surprising!

Having said that though, I think the title of best indie of last year would still have gone elsewhere for me - Returnal probably, or maybe The Forgotten City.... 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - I did like Kena quite a bit - it's a game that is unlikely to be tickling the top 50 or 60 on the ranking when it gets done, but I still see it placing pretty well.  The look is what it is - stylistically, it very close to the modern Walt Disney Animation Studios style - kind of the same character model design as something like Big Hero 6. Whether you like that style or not is going to be entirely down to taste, of course, but within that sphere, I've certainly never seen animation quality of the level Kena has in a videogame - and to come from a smaller developer, that's saying something!

The bigger surprise for me with Kena though, was how incongruous the gameplay is with that visual style - you would think, given the look, that it would be pitched as a fairly simplistic platformer with fairly light combat, but actually, as much as the visuals and story are "family friendly", the gameplay is anything but. It's a game where the combat is actually pretty tricky and unforgiving - and some of the bosses, particularly on higher difficulties, but even on normal - are complicated and remarkably difficult. There are a good few bosses fights that really wouldn't be out of place in a Dark Souls game - and that was really surprising!

Having said that though, I think the title of best indie of last year would still have gone elsewhere - Returnal probably, or maybe The Forgotten City.... 

I think taste is generally dictated by what is easiest to understand, and while this is not necessarily always a bad thing it codifies the brain in a certain way so that subjective and objective quality are more and more difficult to hold apart. You see Disney/Pixar/Myazaki you think good because its easy to grasp and the majority likes it. I see it with my kids in class, show them a Banksy and a Picasso. They will find the first one great because they can relate and even a braindead fish can understand a Banksy but they will look at the Picasso like its from another planet because they are not used to reflect on esthetics.

The game that comes automatically to my mind is Horizon, it was one of the blandest games I played in a while, sure it looked gorgeous but everything was so incredibly boring, repetitive, uninspired and generic it almost gave me an ulcer. Objectively Horizon is not a masterpiece but the majority will beg to differ.

I am not saying this is the case with Kena, I watched a good amount of gameplay and read about it but that is no substitution for hands on pad. I will give it a go and get back to you with an honest review.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neef-GT5 said:

@DrBloodmoney - adding another game to the priority list: Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Quite an old one, hopefully you have a long memory :-)

34 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Absolutely mate - Flagged with your name! 1f44d.png

15 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Hmmm, this should be a good read. I'm sure @Copanele will love it, too.

Yeees, YEEEES I did not even notice that you also did Castlevania's Inferno: Belmont of War. I also support this review

ConstantBrokenAnole-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Yeees, YEEEES I did not even notice that you also did Castlevania's Inferno: Belmont of War. I also support this review

You know... I worry a little about this one...

...not because I think it will make Copanele so mad the shockwave would break Romania in two, but simply because it's being built up here as being such a thing, and really, if there was ever a game I struggled to have strong feelings one way or the other about, it was Lords of Shadow ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know... I worry a little about this one...

...not because I think it will make Copanele so mad the shockwave would break Romania in two, but simply because it's being built up here as being such a thing, and really, if there was ever a game I struggled to have strong feelings one way or the other about, it was Lords of Shadow 1f602.png

Well no worries, I liked this one more than Shadow of the Colossus, so only a small corner of Romania will rumble a bit (i'll still love your review tho <3 )

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next 5 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Journey
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
L.A. Noire
Outer Wilds
The Forgotten City

With a minimum of 1 Bonus games this round, including:

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Thanks in advance for the Journey review ?

Looking forward to reading this, this batch seems most promising - I have had Outer Wilds in my radar for a while now ?

• Like 2

Can I make a request doc? I was doing an inventory of games I own recently and came across Apotheon which passed me by way back when but that art style looks so interesting. I'm finding your reviews a fantastic resource for deciding whether to play something or not, you've played it but not ranked it yet so Apotheon please!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

Can I make a request doc? I was doing an inventory of games I own recently and came across Apotheon which passed me by way back when but that art style looks so interesting. I'm finding your reviews a fantastic resource for deciding whether to play something or not, you've played it but not ranked it yet so Apotheon please!

Absolutely mate - added with your name! ?

• Like 2

Dude you are a machine! Way to get back into a productive routine, you are cranking these out at an impressive rate, and with the usual absurdly high quality!

I've been meaning to comment, and best I do so now before the deluge of even more great material you've got coming. L.A. Noire? Journey? Outer Wilds?? THE FORGOTTEN CITY?? Come on, now!

Two of which I've been wondering about for a very long time, and the last of which recently got bumped way the fuck up because I heard one too many trustworthy sources speak highly of it (spoiler alert - one of them posted about it in the bingo challenge?)

Thanks for the VR tips, my decision to purchase that still hangs in the balance but Statik and Accounting will definitely add to the argument for me! I thought Trover grew to be a bit much with the Roilandness of it all after a while, but I still do love that humor and if he could nail a solid balance I think I would absolutely love it.

Hoa sounds like a nice transition game, I've no doubt the lack of length and challenge will be more than just noticeable, but.. I love pretty games, what can I say?

Also it looks like Shady Part of Me will indeed be something to look out for when it goes on sale, methinks I should tackle Little Nightmares first though. Stories Untold looks fucking dope, who doesn't want Stranger Things as a game?? And Flipping Death sounds like a screaming ball of fun - not only did I enjoy watching it duke it out with Grim Fandango, but it had me singing Metallica's Creeping Death in my head like "To kill that Grim Fandango gaaaaame, I'm Flipping Deeeaaaaath!"

Outstanding work as always, man?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Dude you are a machine! Way to get back into a productive routine, you are cranking these out at an impressive rate, and with the usual absurdly high quality!

I've been meaning to comment, and best I do so now before the deluge of even more great material you've got coming. L.A. Noire? Journey? Outer Wilds?? THE FORGOTTEN CITY?? Come on, now!

Dude, I know, right? -  this coming batch is a big one for sure - there’s at least three games in there with solid shots at the top 20, and one that I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t crack top 10 ?

Thanks for the VR tips, my decision to purchase that still hangs in the balance but Statik and Accounting will definitely add to the argument for me! I thought Trover grew to be a bit much with the Roilandness of it all after a while, but I still do love that humor and if he could nail a solid balance I think I would absolutely love it.

Oh, yeah - I have heard a little here and there about Trover - I’ll certainly play it, but I do think that particular type of humour works best in the short form, and Accounting+ is just right in terms of that kind of delivery!

Statik though - that’s an easy one - if you have access to a PSVR and don’t play Statik, you are missing out terribly. It’s just top-to-bottom a fantastic experience- absolutely one not to miss!

Hoa sounds like a nice transition game, I've no doubt the lack of length and challenge will be more than just noticeable, but.. I love pretty games, what can I say1f607.png

totally - a lovely game in lots of ways, and that art is just ??

I’ll be interested in your thoughts when you finish though, particularly to see if you felt the same as me… that it feels like it just starts turning into a really interesting game in that last level… and then finishes!

Also it looks like Shady Part of Me will indeed be something to look out for when it goes on sale, methinks I should tackle Little Nightmares first though. 

oh, for sure - I liked Shady Part of Me a lot, but as compared to Little Nightmares, there is really no contest. SPoM is a fun, clever little puzzler, but LN and LNII etched themselves in my mind in a way few games can, and just won’t ever leave!

Stories Untold looks fucking dope, who doesn't want Stranger Things as a game??

Thats one to absolutely check out, given you have a good taste for the unusual and innovative side of narrative games definitely - and I reckon coupling it with Observation would make for a hell of a few days gaming - and put No Code in your “must buy” list good and hard!

And Flipping Death sounds like a screaming ball of fun - not only did I enjoy watching it duke it out with Grim Fandango, but it had me singing Metallica's Creeping Death in my head like "To kill that Grim Fandango gaaaaame, I'm Flipping Deeeaaaaath!"

Outstanding work as always, man1f44a.png

Thank you mate, much appreciated!

• Like 2