Gran Turismo 7 Planned For PS4 In 2014, Creator Confirms

Goro

Speaking to Top GearGran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed that Gran Turismo 7 is planned, and that they don’t want to take too long developing the game.

This means, in a best case scenario, that the game will arrive next year. While Gran Turismo 6 development was tough, he expects Gran Turismo 7 to get out the door much quicker, as “the PS4′s hardware is much better”, which means the overall quality will be boosted.

He also noted that he “respects” the competition, namely Forza: “The racing genre isn’t really that big in its entirety, so I’m glad that everyone works hard to boost the genre as a whole.”

It’s not a great way to market Gran Turismo 6, but it’s exciting that we’ll see the next generation of the racing simulation on PS4 so soon, particularly after the lengthy delays of the first PS3 title, Gran Turismo 5.

Source - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/11/21/gran-turismo-7-planned-for-ps4-next-year-creator-confirms/

Edited by Goro

I hope they won't rush it. As much as I really want a good racing simulator on PS4, If they end up rushing it we may just find ourselves with a Gran Turismo 6.5. Just like every single Call of Duty release. I hope they won't rush to much... That's very respectful what Kazunori Yamauchi said about forza. I love friendly competition like that. Mad respect! 

No no no... This way GT6 will never suceed.

Probably..

But I have a hard time believing that GT7 will be out next year.. specially when PD have planned to release DLC for GT6 for a 12 months period... even being easier for them to work on the PS4, it will be mainly a GT6 port for the PS4, not really a true GT game. There's not enough time for them to make it while keeping updating GT6 at the same time, not even if they cut down the content to GT3 levels (200 cars, 20-30 layouts I believe)..

Even 2015 seams to soon... maybe a GT7P for 2014, and even that it's probably pushing it a lot..

1.) Everyone seems to be forgetting that "releasing in 2014" could be anytime in 2014. Meaning, it could literally release a year after GT6 [December 6th] - that's not that short a time. It's shorter than the wait between GT4 (2005) and 5 (2010), but it's about the same as the wait between GT2 (1999/2000) and 3 (2001) - this isn't new [And the jump between GT2 and 3 was a massive leap in visual fidelity.]

2.) He said this already. We just didn't have a specific year. He said months ago that GT6 would come out this year, and that GT7 could appear on the PS4 "in a year or two" - why people are so surprised by this, I don't know. The turnaround is so short because all they need to really do is touch up the high-res models/textures that they likely already have [if they don't have that stuff still, they're insane].

That's how games are made. They don't go and recreate data that they already have if they can touch it up and add new stuff on to it without it breaking. you'd be nuts to try and rebuild every last thing in a game - especially a racing game that has such highly detailed cars [That's what took so long with GT5 - it took roughly a MONTH to model 1 car, inside and out. It's why so few of them were actually premium, and why even fewer could be "Racing Modified".]

All they have to do is touch up the fully modeled cars they have from GT6, bring the rest of the Standards up to scratch, and maybe add a few new cars and tracks, and they have a new entry. It's a lot less work than having to completely remodel everything for the new hardware. The only thing they'd likely need to remodel would be tracks - since they change quite often to new layouts.

Or, they could go the GT3/Forza 5 route and have fewer cars than the last entry. GT2 had 650 cars, GT3 had 181. Just take all the fully modeled cars they have, give 'em a polygon bump, and bam - instant new game.

Edited by Fox

1.) Everyone seems to be forgetting that "releasing in 2014" could be anytime in 2014. Meaning, it could literally release a year after GT6 [December 6th] - that's not that short a time. It's shorter than the wait between GT4 (2005) and 5 (2010), but it's about the same as the wait between GT2 (1999/2000) and 3 (2001) - this isn't new [And the jump between GT2 and 3 was a massive leap in visual fidelity.]2.) He said this already. We just didn't have a specific year. He said months ago that GT6 would come out this year, and that GT7 could appear on the PS4 "in a year or two" - why people are so surprised by this, I don't know. The turnaround is so short because all they need to really do is touch up the high-res models/textures that they likely already have [if they don't have that stuff still, they're insane].That's how games are made. They don't go and recreate data that they already have if they can touch it up and add new stuff on to it without it breaking. you'd be nuts to try and rebuild every last thing in a game - especially a racing game that has such highly detailed cars [That's what took so long with GT5 - it took roughly a MONTH to model 1 car, inside and out. It's why so few of them were actually premium, and why even fewer could be "Racing Modified".]All they have to do is touch up the fully modeled cars they have from GT6, bring the rest of the Standards up to scratch, and maybe add a few new cars and tracks, and they have a new entry. It's a lot less work than having to completely remodel everything for the new hardware. The only thing they'd likely need to remodel would be tracks - since they change quite often to new layouts.Or, they could go the GT3/Forza 5 route and have fewer cars than the last entry. GT2 had 650 cars, GT3 had 181. Just take all the fully modeled cars they have, give 'em a polygon bump, and bam - instant new game.

Even a year is too soon

1.) Everyone seems to be forgetting that "releasing in 2014" could be anytime in 2014. Meaning, it could literally release a year after GT6 [December 6th] - that's not that short a time. It's shorter than the wait between GT4 (2005) and 5 (2010), but it's about the same as the wait between GT2 (1999/2000) and 3 (2001) - this isn't new [And the jump between GT2 and 3 was a massive leap in visual fidelity.]

2.) He said this already. We just didn't have a specific year. He said months ago that GT6 would come out this year, and that GT7 could appear on the PS4 "in a year or two" - why people are so surprised by this, I don't know. The turnaround is so short because all they need to really do is touch up the high-res models/textures that they likely already have [if they don't have that stuff still, they're insane].

That's how games are made. They don't go and recreate data that they already have if they can touch it up and add new stuff on to it without it breaking. you'd be nuts to try and rebuild every last thing in a game - especially a racing game that has such highly detailed cars [That's what took so long with GT5 - it took roughly a MONTH to model 1 car, inside and out. It's why so few of them were actually premium, and why even fewer could be "Racing Modified".]

All they have to do is touch up the fully modeled cars they have from GT6, bring the rest of the Standards up to scratch, and maybe add a few new cars and tracks, and they have a new entry. It's a lot less work than having to completely remodel everything for the new hardware. The only thing they'd likely need to remodel would be tracks - since they change quite often to new layouts.

Or, they could go the GT3/Forza 5 route and have fewer cars than the last entry. GT2 had 650 cars, GT3 had 181. Just take all the fully modeled cars they have, give 'em a polygon bump, and bam - instant new game.

True to that, but doing that wouldn't just be releasing GT6 in the PS4 with a 7 instead of a 6?

Really if taking in account all the premium content made for GT5/6 (that's actually high enough definition to be on a decent PS4 game), they have material for a game, but all that material is in GT6... and by releasing it 1 year later they have some new content to add, but then all that content is DLC for GT6..

Really makes no sense releasing a port with content cut and the DLC in, as a new entry for the series.

And in 1 year (that they will spend updating GT6 with monthly DLC), I highly doubt they can make anything exclusive for GT7... just the premium stuff from GT6 + GT6 DLC.

Hell PD is releasing GT6 and almost half of the content will come later in patches.. (I'm talking of B-spec, course creator, GPS mapping for track creator, and other stuff).

In 2 years, I can see we getting a GT3 style GT game. But in 1 year, with all the stuff left undone for GT6, and all the DLC planned? No, it's simply impossible, unless they would outsource the work in GT7 or the work left to do (+ DLC) of GT6, but PD doesn't outsource anything.

Short version:

GT7 in 1 year = GT6 + GT6 DLC - non-premium GT6 tracks/cars

GT7 in 2 years = GT6 + GT6 DLC - non-premium GT6 tracks/cars + some new cars and tracks

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

Even a year is too soon

Methinks you missed the line that said "but it's about the same as the wait between GT2 (1999/2000) and 3 (2001)". A year is not to short. Look at the jump between GT2 and 3 - it was massive, both in terms of graphical fidelity, and gameplay.

People are getting too worked up over this.

Hell it wasn't until GT4 and 5 that the games took multiple years to come out [GT1 was out in '98, 2 was out that next year, '99 [2000 for Europe], and 3 released in 2001 - GT4 came out in 2005, and 5 came out in 2010. 6 is due out in a few weeks - 2013.

• Like 1

I highly doubt we'll see a Gran Turismo for the PS4 in 2014 but it will be a very pleasant surprise if we do. Personally though, I hope Gran Turismo 7 drops standard cars completely and lets us have cockpit views for all cars. Standard cars don't really bother me but I think with a next generation GT game there is no need for standard cars and I'd prefer PD to go the T10 route and have less cars but all of them be of the utmost quality. 

Still, GT6 is going to be amazing and I can't wait until Decmber 6th. I'm more excited for GT6 than I was for the PS4. 

Parker

True to that, but doing that wouldn't just be releasing GT6 in the PS4 with a 7 instead of a 6?

Really if taking in account all the premium content made for GT5/6 (that's actually high enough definition to be on a decent PS4 game), they have material for a game, but all that material is in GT6... and by releasing it 1 year later they have some new content to add, but then all that content is DLC for GT6..

Really makes no sense releasing a port with content cut and the DLC in, as a new entry for the series.

And in 1 year (that they will spend updating GT6 with monthly DLC), I highly doubt they can make anything exclusive for GT7... just the premium stuff from GT6 + GT6 DLC.

Hell PD is releasing GT6 and almost half of the content will come later in patches.. (I'm talking of B-spec, course creator, GPS mapping for track creator, and other stuff).

In 2 years, I can see we getting a GT3 style GT game. But in 1 year, with all the stuff left undone for GT6, and all the DLC planned? No, it's simply impossible, unless they would outsource the work in GT7 or the work left to do (+ DLC) of GT6, but PD doesn't outsource anything.

Short version:

GT7 in 1 year = GT6 + GT6 DLC - non-premium GT6 tracks/cars

GT7 in 2 years = GT6 + GT6 DLC - non-premium GT6 tracks/cars + some new cars and tracks

You misinterpret what I mean by re-using game assets. It's not "putting GT6 on the PS4 and calling it 7", they wouldn't be taking the GT6 game and putting it on the PS4 - they would be taking the base models that they have on their development PCs and making a new game with them. Same way you'd take base animations from a previous entry in a game, and reuse them in the next - just making them look a bit better with new techniques, and adding more.

The base models =/= the exact same thing you see in the game. They are much higher res, often used to make things like CG intros [iE: The intro to GT5. The cars you see in that intro are much higher res than the actual in-game cars. THOSE are the models I'm referring to.]

You also seem to forget that PD started work on GT6 right after GT5 was finished. They continued to work on GT6 while still updating GT5 with massive game changes and DLC. There's no reason they wouldn't be doing the same thing with 7 - I can almost guarantee that PD is working on GT7 right now, since 6 is pretty much done, and likely gone Gold.

And look at how much different GT6 really is in comparison to GT5 - better physics, more modes, more options [like adjusting rim size on your wheels], standards that have been made premium, and standards that have had their visuals overhauled to minimize the discrepancy between them and Premiums - it's a much different game, and they did that WHILE providing support to the last one.

And again, I point out that the original games all came out within a year of each other, and were vast improvements over the last [seriously, GT2 to GT3 was 1 year, 7 months, between North American releases - and that's INCLUDING the time it took them to rebuild everything for the PS2. Rescanning the old tracks, scanning the new ones, as well as remodeling 181 of the cars.]

If they don't have to do all that for the next entry - it's not that surprising that it could be out by the end of next year.

You misinterpret what I mean by re-using game assets. It's not "putting GT6 on the PS4 and calling it 7", they wouldn't be taking the GT6 game and putting it on the PS4 - they would be taking the base models that they have on their development PCs and making a new game with them. Same way you'd take base animations from a previous entry in a game, and reuse them in the next - just making them look a bit better with new techniques, and adding more.

The base models =/= the exact same thing you see in the game. They are much higher res, often used to make things like CG intros [iE: The intro to GT5. The cars you see in that intro are much higher res than the actual in-game cars. THOSE are the models I'm referring to.]

You also seem to forget that PD started work on GT6 right after GT5 was finished. They continued to work on GT6 while still updating GT5 with massive game changes and DLC. There's no reason they wouldn't be doing the same thing with 7 - I can almost guarantee that PD is working on GT7 right now, since 6 is pretty much done, and likely gone Gold.

And look at how much different GT6 really is in comparison to GT5 - better physics, more modes, more options [like adjusting rim size on your wheels], standards that have been made premium, and standards that have had their visuals overhauled to minimize the discrepancy between them and Premiums - it's a much different game, and they did that WHILE providing support to the last one.

And again, I point out that the original games all came out within a year of each other, and were vast improvements over the last [seriously, GT2 to GT3 was 1 year, 7 months, between North American releases - and that's INCLUDING the time it took them to rebuild everything for the PS2. Rescanning the old tracks, scanning the new ones, as well as remodeling 181 of the cars.]

If they don't have to do all that for the next entry - it's not that surprising that it could be out by the end of next year.

Yes, I know that the base data for GT6 isn't the quality present in GT6, but the only cars and tracks they have with said quality in their database is small, only the premium cars from GT5 and the ones introduced in GT6 were laser scanned (and I'm not sure if all were..), and only a few tracks present in GT6 were laser scanned too, it's not like they have a ton of things that they can implement in a next game. And if they did it, they were just releasing the same game, more even then the HD conversions we see from PS2 games for PS3, since they wouldn't even having to convert anything, that's why I'm saying that would be a port, not because they would just past the things in GT6 to a PS4 game, but because those things would be all the same, quality doesn't matter here, otherwise games like Okami and Okami HD would be 2 different game, and they aren't (also required more work then what you imply PD would need).

As for them working in GT6 at the same time as they supported GT5, that's partly wrong, all the stuff they did during that time will appear in GT6, true, but so is true that almost all that content was add to GT5 as DLC... so you see why I said GT7 would be GT6+ GT6 DLC?

PD never used CGI for their intro, they look that much better because PD always made replays and the like look 100x better then the actual gameplay.. no CGI involved.

Also, stop mentioning the time it took them to make GT3 after GT2.. at that time each car would probably take PD 1 week to make, if that much, same for everything else, game development became more expensive because it also started to take a ton of time to do, not just because companies "felt like it".

A good example of this is GTA, see how long it took them to release 5 different titles on PS2, and how long they needed to make 2 titles for the PS3.. the old days of quick development are over, even almost yearly game nowadays are handled by 2 studios, each studio releasing a game every 2 years (and usually still with a ton of problems, but that's a problem of them being able to patch things later.. not just the lack of time).

Don't fool yourself expecting a new true GT game (true as in, new content not present in GT6 or that is DLC for GT6) in 2014, late 2015, maybe, early, I doubt..

Yes, I know that the base data for GT6 isn't the quality present in GT6, but the only cars and tracks they have with said quality in their database is small, only the premium cars from GT5 and the ones introduced in GT6 were laser scanned (and I'm not sure if all were..), and only a few tracks present in GT6 were laser scanned too, it's not like they have a ton of things that they can implement in a next game. And if they did it, they were just releasing the same game, more even then the HD conversions we see from PS2 games for PS3, since they wouldn't even having to convert anything, that's why I'm saying that would be a port, not because they would just past the things in GT6 to a PS4 game, but because those things would be all the same, quality doesn't matter here, otherwise games like Okami and Okami HD would be 2 different game, and they aren't (also required more work then what you imply PD would need).

Ok, I'm gonna try to explain this as best I can, for the 3rd time now. I'm not gonna worry with the rest of the post, because the comparisons don't relate at all. [GTA3, VC and SA all ran on the same engine, used the same assets and had very little improvements between them outside of gameplay. GTA 4 and 5 shared NOTHING from the older games, the maps and everything else were completely rebuilt - that would obviously make them take longer between games. Had R* just used one of the LA maps they already had, GTA5 would have been done a long time ago, but they chose to build Los Santos from the ground up instead.]

Okami HD "required more work" because it was an old, PS2 title that needed to have it's textures and other assets reworked to be HD, not to mention it was a PS2 game being made to work on consoles it was never actually intended to play on. They aren't classed as 2 games because they AREN'T 2 games, they are the exact same game, that look identical, one is just made to look good on HD TVs.

That's NOT the same thing as what I'm talking about. Not in the least.

What I'm talking about - and please, read carefully - is PD using the assets that they already have on hand, in a brand new game, built for the Playstation 4. A new version of whatever engine they were running on the PS3 - or a new engine altogether, built specifically for use on the PS4. Model data has no specific console it has to work on - and by model data, I'm talking about things like .C4D, .3DS, .BLEND, .OBJ files - the files that are made on the PC in programs like Maya, 3DStudio MAX, zBrush and Cinema 4D.

They can go back to those files and use them for whatever they want to.

Here's a comparison to try and simplify this:

You have a project due. You have to write a paper on a subject of your choosing. Which do you do?

A.) Choose a subject you already know something about that would make your work 100 times easier, since you won't have to research as much.

Or

B.) Choose a subject you know very little about, spend hours, maybe even days studying, while the deadline to turn the paper in draws ever closer.

Option A has it's drawbacks. Maybe everything you know isn't quite correct - but you can correct it easily by looking it up, and you'll be able to find your answer faster since you already have an idea of what you need to know. [iE: You have a model already fully made, but maybe some of the triangles [polygons] are a little ugly. You already know what it should look like, so you can easily adjust it to make it look better.]

Option B offers you a chance to learn something new. You get to learn about something you didn't know before - but at the very big risk of not being able to get the work done in time, thus causing you to either turn in an incomplete paper - or asking for an extension on said paper in order to get it finished. [iE: You go back to the drawing board and redo everything - rescan the car and start rebuilding the whole thing. This gives you a chance to make it even better than before - but it takes a LOT longer, and puts you at risk of delaying the game, or having to leave things out.]

Look at Kingdom Hearts 1.5, Square [supposedly] lost most of the assets for the original Kingdom Hearts - instead of rebuilding it all, they used the character models from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. This is closer to what I mean, and is a perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say they should use what they already have.

Edited by Fox