Xbox One...anyone?

antithesis

I just picked up my Day One Edition XB1 pre-order (you can tell by the small stamp on the controller and my soon to be popped awesome Day One achievement...ahem) and I figured I'd shared some initial thoughts.

XB1_pkg.jpg
The stuff you get in the fancy box.

The box is somewhat child-proof and it took me half a minute to figure out how to dump my shit out on the floor. Pro Tip: remove the outer slip and the rest will fall into place  :facepalm: 

XB1_compare.jpg
XB1 vs 360 controller.

The XB1 controller feels a bit cheaper and nastier than the 360 version. It's slightly smaller overall and features a smaller, lower profile d-pad that has a junky feel to it. The shoulder buttons have been revamped and feel ok. Everything else is pretty much the same. MS still hasn't seen fit to include a Li-ion rechargeable battery pack, you'll need to fork out some extra bucks for a "Play and Charge" kit. Overall...meh, nothing to gush about. It's comfortable to use and has a nice heft to it, but it's a 360 controller with a couple of new buttons.

The headset is a cheap piece of crap. Not as cheap or crappy as the 360's iteration and the controller plug looks quite fancy, but the headset is...just...bleh! Off to the bin you go little fella.

XB1_brick.jpg
Big brick. Ignore the mark around the XBOX logo...that's a refleciton of my aircon duct on the ceiling.

The PSU is fekking enormous - almost the same size as a real brick. On the upside, at least it's not housed internally like the PS4, so it's easily replaced and won't lead to overheating problems.

XB1_Kinect.jpg
Photo doesn't do the Kinect justice. It is a heavy-duty unit.

The Kinect unit is large, heavy and solidly built and looks to be a quality bit of kit. If the NSA is going to spy on you, they might as well do it in HD with super-sensitive mics. On the negative side, I have no idea how to mount it at the top of my TV...

XB1_consoles.jpg
XB1 vs 360 Elite. The PS4 is quite a bit smaller than the Elite.

The XB1 console itself is, quite literally, the size of a VCR...this thing is fucking huge! On the plus side, the finish is neat, it feels weighty and there's ventilation coming out the wahoo. Every surface that isn't the front panel or the gloss panel above the BR drive is a ventilation grid.

XB1_front.jpg
Front passage. Mmm....slotty.

XB1_back.jpg
Back passage. Mmm...porty.

Anyway...that's the unboxing done, I'll post my impressions of the OS and UI once I fire this sucker up.

Anyone else got their XB1 yet?

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 4

Common forums. I Should Start by saying. FCUK off!! and be gone on this page! But nahhhh...
I ain't those typical forum basher.  :lol: 

Kidding aside and in all seriousness., I won't be getting an XB1 anytime soon. Unless of course it was a gift or something then

I'll be more than happy to accept it.

And its not a PRIORITY on my list, in which, in all obviousness, PS4 is on TOP of that list.

For XB1 I might get it in two years time or even 3.

So there you go mate, my two cents on your post. ENJOY the game and LOVE the game. which ALL gamers should do, be a PlayStation or Xbox fanatic.

Cheers! :highfive: 

#Goodvibes

Razgriz 

• Like 1

I'll more than likely be picking an Xbone up sometime next year. The only game that even remotely interests me is Forza 5 but I'm disappointed that there are only 200 cars with day one DLC adding cars as well as a lot less tracks than Forza 4. 

I also can't believe that they still require you to purchase a "Play 'n Charge" kit instead of having a rechargeable controller from the get go. I agree with you on the controller though, I was expecting a pretty big improvement from the 360 controller based on what everyone had been saying but I actually prefer the 360 gamepad more than the Xbone one. Maybe being able to use the impulse triggers will change my mind but as of now I still much prefer the DS3 and especially the DS4 over the Microsoft offerings. 

To me the UI looks awful and cluttered. It looks like the current 360 dashboard which I am not a fan of at all but this is all based on videos and it may actually be easier to navigate than it seems. 

I'm looking forward to your update.

Parker

• Like 1

PSNProfiles Forums > Other Platforms > Consoles

Right there at the top of your screen. Other platforms means not PlayStation so this is the appropriate area to discuss another platform.

You do realize that some people are simply gamers, right? Some people couldn't care less about the dumbass console wars and just want to be able to play awesome games. While I prefer the PlayStation ad it is definitely my console of choice there is also some games I'd enjoy playing on the Xbone so I'll eventually buy one, just like I bought the 360 and original Xbone (one?). 

If you don't want to see anything or discuss other consoles I suggest you stay out of the section of the website. 

Parker

Totally agree. I do not own any XB consoles nor plan on buying any, but I like to here about them, good or bad. It's good to stay well-informed even if you don't like XB systems because Sony often makes decisions based on what Microsoft does anyways (hence Sony's E3 Conference 2013).

Even though I am not getting an Xbox One...probably ever...this was a really good analysis on the unboxing.  I hope you enjoy your new gaming/movie/kinect system (I honestly don't know what to call it...entertainment system...yea let's go with that)   :lol:

Edited by Starrk_01

I really like the look of Rise, and it is a game I want to play, so I will get an Xbox One within the next year hopefully. The UI and the controller disgust me honestly....but everything else makes the Xbox One seem pretty awesome! I can't wait to have one!......but of course, I think I will concentrate on getting a PS4 first. Priorities, man.

I was seriously considering getting one possibly for collection purposes, but I decided against it. $500 is a lot to dish out for something I'm not that interested in and it would be hard to get enough time to play both systems because of my job so I'm sticking to what I know I like. I've never really liked any Xbox and 360 exclusives either. I got an original Xbox pretty much for the exclusives and they aren't as impressive as Sony's. (I'm not a fan of most of the PS3 exclusives TBH. I thought that stuff like Infamous and LittleBigPlanet was crap and Killzone was barely tolerable at best.) I looked at the One stuff that we had out at work like the controller for example. I thought it was kinda neat how the controller looked more like an original Xbox "Duke" with the sharp corners at the bottom... I scoffed and rolled my eyes when I saw that it STILL required AA batteries. You'd think that they would get with the program and charge it with a cable already.

Other than Killer Instinct, there's nothing that really interests me on the One :/ I may get one eventually, for Killer Instinct, and to try and further my reviews, but there's not much of a reason for me to really do so.

The PS4 is definitely where my money will be going first - but even that's going to be a while.

But fuck, man..Killer Instinct..

Edited by Fox

Alrighty...some dodgy happy snaps added to the OP.

update.jpg

The firmware update ran smoothly, no problems to report. Just about to login to my XBL account, I'll update the post as I tool around in the UI.

Signing into the XBL is as easy as you'd expect. The advantage XBL has over the PSN at this stage is support for double-authentication via the Google Authenticator smartphone app, which makes your account impossible to hack unless the hacker also has your mobile phone. Alternately, or in addition to double-auth, you can setup a 6-digit passkey to lock that bitch down tight.

Controller buttons are very loud and "clicky". Somewhat annoying, but they'll bed down over time.

I haven't bothered to setup Kinect, just to prove that the OS can be controlled without it activated. There's a privacy statement saying something about the Kinect. Didn't read it, don't care.

Ooh look...choose your Xbox background colour. You can have green, green, green, green or red. I'll take green thanks.

green.jpg
So much green.

A Kinect screenshot of my loungeroom just popped up. Definitely HD. Nice. I'll be easy to recognise during late-night fap sessions.

Time to pop in my XBL Gold subscription key...done. First time I've bothered to pay for XBL. You can use the barcode and Kinect will scan it or enter the key manually. My fellow Aussies...don't pay MS's asking price - go to OzGameShop and get the XBL Gold 12+2 month digital subscription key for $55.

Launch title pre-order video, streaming smoothly in glorious 720p. Make that 360p...videos look very rough, but they do stream better than the 360.

Finally hit the UI...and it looks just like the 360...sort of...at a glance. Same basic functionality with an additional menu to the left for SkyDrive, Skype, TV, Xbox Video and Music. The apps need to be installed before use, but at least they're optional.

Ok, got tempted by the TV button and this is neat - you can watch TV alongside your games. Good for keeping the little woman quiet while the men go about their business. Pity I don't have a cable or satellite box, so...moving on.

SkyDrive looks tidy - stream your photos and videos from the cloud to your Xbox. I don't need it, I don't even want it, but I'll take it, cos it's free.

Xbox Video and Xbox Music are subscription / on-demand services. Meh...I'll never use it.

Swapping between stuff is easy - just press the Xbox button. Multitasking support looks good for downloading junk in the background in a queue while you do something more interesting than staring at a progress bar.

dead-joke.jpg
$128...are you fucking kidding me?

Jumping into the store is quick, easy...and laughable if you live in Oz. $128 forDead Rising 3: Day One Premium Edition...get fucked MS.

Looks like you can "Snap an app". I don't know what it does and I don't care enough to find out. *whisper* I think it's a persistent sidebar you can toggle on and off.

Achievements look pretty snazzy, however the large tiles (which look interactive but aren't, at least not for 360 cheevos) make it difficult to get a quick overview of your progress, so that's a win for Sony.

featured-cheevos.jpg
You buy now!

MS is also heavily pushing you to buy their shit in time-limited Featured Challenges for new games. That's the last thing we need...more time limits on achievements, we're talking 5 days for some. Let's hope Sony doesn't follow suit, it's an obvious ploy to force us to buy a game at release.

dayone.jpg
Fear my Day One achievement. Yep, that's it. Totally worth the pre-order.

The Upload thingo makes it easy to upload and browse other people's clips, but the video quality is pretty poor.

Kinect is setup. It has a floaty speech bubble above my head with my username in it. Kewl.

My attention span is waning and I have nothing to play but the free FIFA 14 downloadable game that came with the console. FIFA doesn't interest me in the slightest, however using the barcode made it a piece of piss to redeem. FIFA's a 10.5GB download which on my connection speed will take all night, so it's Adios for now.

"Xbox off." Waddayaknow...it doesn't work! It thinks I'm saying "Faster" which makes not an ounce of fucking sense. Install Speech Tutorial > Queued. Now I just need to wait until FIFA's finished downloading to find out why the XB1 can't understand English.

"Xbox turn off." works, not "Xbox off." Neither "Xbox on." nor "Xbox turn on." work...sigh. Where's the friggin Kinect manual? What's the point of flogging a voice-activation system if you don't supply a list of commands?

Why are you posting about Xbone One in a Playstation forum?

Because gamers game while bitches bitch. Parker covered the rest.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 4

Alrighty...some dodgy happy snaps added to the OP.

update.jpg

The firmware update ran smoothly, no problems to report. Just about to login to my XBL account, I'll update the post as I tool around in the UI.

Signing into the XBL is as easy as you'd expect. The advantage XBL has over the PSN at this stage is the support for double-authentication via Google Authenticator, which makes your account impossible to hack unless the hacker also has your mobile phone. Alternately, or in addition to double-auth, you can setup a 6-digit passkey to lock that bitch down tight.

Controller buttons are very loud and "clicky". Somewhat annoying, but they'll bed down over time.

I haven't bothered to setup Kinect, just to prove that the OS can be controlled without it activated. There's a privacy statement saying something about the Kinect. Didn't read it, don't care.

Ooh look...choose your Xbox background colour. You can have green, green, green, green or red. I'll take green thanks.

A Kinect screenshot of my loungeroom just popped up. Definitely HD. Nice. I'll be easy to recognise during late-night fap sessions.

Time to pop in my XBL Gold subscription key...done. First time I've bothered to pay for XBL. You can use the barcode and Kinect will scan it or enter the key manually. My fellow Aussies...don't pay MS's asking price - go to OzGameShop and get the XBL Gold 12+2 month digital subscription key for $55.

Launch title pre-order video, streaming smoothly in glorious 720p. Make that 360p...videos look very rough, but they do stream better than the 360.

Finally hit the UI...and it looks just like the 360...sort of...at a glance. Same basic functionality with an additional menu to the left for SkyDrive, Skype, TV, Xbox Video and Music. The apps need to be installed before use, but at least they're optional.

green.jpg

Lots of green.

Ok, got tempted by the TV button and this is neat - you can watch TV alongside your games. Good for keeping the little woman quiet while the men go about their business. Pity I don't have a cable or satellite box, so...moving on.

SkyDrive looks tidy - stream your photos and videos from the cloud to your Xbox. I don't need it, I don't even want it, but I'll take it, cos it's free.

Xbox Video and Xbox Music are subscription / on-demand services. Meh...I'll never use it.

Swapping between stuff is easy - just press the Xbox button. Multitasking support looks good for downloading junk in the background in a queue.

dead-joke.jpg

$128...are you fucking kidding me?

Jumping into the store is quick, easy...and laughable if you live in Oz. $128 forDead Rising 3: Day One Premium Edition...get fucked MS.

Looks like you can "Snap an app". I don't know what it does and I don't care enough to find out. *whisper* I think it's a persistent sidebar you can toggle on and off.

Achievements look pretty snazzy, however the large tiles (which look interactive but aren't, at least not for 360 cheevos) make it difficult to get a quick overview of your progress, so that's a win for Sony.

featured-cheevos.jpg

You buy now!

MS is also heavily pushing you to buy their shit in time-limited Featured Challenges for new games. That's the last thing we need...more time limits on achievements - we're taking 5 days for some. Let's hope Sony doesn't follow suit, it's an obvious ploy to force us to buy a game at release.

dayone.jpg

Fear my Day One achievement. Yep, that's it. Totally worth the pre-order.

The Upload thingo makes it easy to upload and browse other people's clips, but the video quality is pretty poor.

Kinect is setup. It has a floaty speech bubble above my head with my username in it. Kewl.

My attention span is waning and I have nothing to play but the free FIFA 14 downloadable game that came with the console. FIFA doesn't interest me in the slightest, however using the barcode made it a piece of piss to redeem. FIFA's a 10.5GB download which on my connection speed will take all night, so it's Adios for now.

"Xbox off." Waddayaknow...it doesn't work! It thinks I'm saying "Faster" which makes not an ounce of fucking sense. Install Speech Tutorial > Queued. Now I just need to wait until FIFA's finished downloading to find out why the XB1 can't understand English.

"Xbox turn off." works, not "Xbox off." Where's the friggin Manual of Kinect Commands?

Because gamers game while bitches bitch. Parker covered the rest.

Yeah, my brother got the Xbone.  The Kinect commands are done.  You have to say the entire game title.  So instead of saying "play Assassin's Creed," you have to say the entire title.  I'll ultimately get one, but not now.  I'm enjoying my PS4 (RESOGUN).  Your setup is gross BTW :D

Edited by grimydawg

Your setup is gross BTW :D

I'm assuming that's a good thing. Here's some better pics (engorging e-peen.........now)

next-gen.jpg

Next generation.

close-up.jpg

Come closer. The Sony handhelds will be displaced by the PS4 on the 29th.

last-gen.jpg

Last generation. Plus some fancy SONOS shit.

We don't get the PS4 here in Oz for another week. I'll post pics of the completed setups once I pickup the PS4.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Those of you that are a little brainless...

Don't post in the thread to say you hate / aren't buying an xbone / PS4 iz da best...  that isn't what the thread is about.  Anymore of it, and I'll start handing out warnings for spamming / trolling.

Back on topic...

Nice to see these comparison pics, gives me more of an idea about the xbone than any of the pre-marketing has.  What titles are you likely to be picking up this year?  I know there was one that looked interesting at E3 with time being paused during an explosion?  That looked like my cup of tea to be honest, so if it is a day one release, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Also, after looking at your setup, I don't suppose you fancy adopting a 36 year old man who will just feed off you like a parasite? (PM me for details.)

• Like 3

Those of you that are a little brainless...

Don't post in the thread to say you hate / aren't buying an xbone / PS4 iz da best...  that isn't what the thread is about.  Anymore of it, and I'll start handing out warnings for spamming / trolling.

Well he did ask us in the original post whether we considered buying an Xbox One which was why people answered like that. But I'm pretty sure it was soon edited. 

Also don't even know why my post was removed while others stayed, since I simply stated the X1 is up for consideration for me depending on exclusives and it answers the last statement in the OP anyway. Whatever.

Edited by Herwest299
  • Like 1

Nice to see this comparison pics, gives me more of an idea about the xbone than any of the pre-marketing has.  What titles are you likely to be picking up this year?  I know there was one that looked interesting at E3 with time being paused during an explosion?  That looked like my cup of tea, to be honest so if it is a day one release, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I can't see myself buying any of the XB1 launch titles. When Ryse, Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 hit the bargain bin I'll consider them - they seem pretty half-baked from the reviews to date.

I'm with you on Quantum Break, that game looks the shit. Maybe Titanfall, though I'm not a huge fan of online MP, so that might be a pointless endeavour. Sunset Overdrive might end up being a decent platformer, given Insomniac's pedigree. D4 and Below have also piqued my interest.

For now I'm happy to cruise along on whatever bones XBL Gold tosses me until the next-gen game prices start to fall. I'm in no hurry, I've got enough games in my backlog to last a decade or two.

Also, after looking at your setup, I don't suppose you fancy adopting a 36 year old man who will just feed off you like a parasite? (PM me for details.)

There's a couple of guys ahead of you in the queue. I've got your number. Don't call me, I'll call you.

Well he did ask us in the original post whether we considered buying an Xbox One which was why people answered like that. But it was soon edited. So you can't exactly say people are "brainless" when responding to a question that had been edited out.

No I didn't champ. I asked "Anyone else got their XB1 yet?" which is still the last line in the OP. I updated the post to add some pics and edit some grammar, nothing was deleted. Edited by ant1th3s1s

I'm assuming that's a good thing. Here's some better pics (engorging e-peen.........now)

next-gen.jpg

Next generation.

close-up.jpg

last-gen.jpg

We don't get the PS4 here in Oz for another week. I'll post pics of the completed setups once I pickup the PS4.

Wish my room was clean so I could show mine off.

Awesome. That was very in-depth and exactly what I was looking for. I still think the UI looks pretty awful but as long as I can get to my games that is all that really matters. I'll get one eventually but I thank you for going this in depth with your impressions, it is very helpful. 

Also, you have the absolute cleanest and nicest set up I think I've ever seen. It is absolutely gorgeous and I hope to get mine set up somewhat similar in the future.

Parker 

next-gen.jpg

Next generation.

close-up.jpg

last-gen.jpg

That setup is badass :holy: