The Euros 2020 (2021) Thread

Glorious Fury

26 minutes ago, Smashero said:

Can't blame you :P. 
Anyway, we would play against Croatia and having in mind how they destroyed Scotland... Better that we are going home.

As always anyway... Only Lewandowski himself can't do miracles.

that is a defeatist attitude.  Better lose now so that you don’t lose later?!  Why even enter the competition with that attitude.

5 minutes ago, ValenTris7 said:

It will be a miracle if Portugal makes it to the semi-finals but im pretty sure they can. Ronaldo deserves a great last Euro.

Well, it will be a tough game but i believe if Portugal play well organised and with strong midfields they can win ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ValenTris7 said:

It will be a miracle if Portugal makes it to the semi-finals but im pretty sure they can. Ronaldo deserves a great last Euro.

I'm sure Belgium wins, either by a tight score or obliterating Portugal if they get the lead quickly and Portugal goes with everything to draw the match. I'm surprised Portugal made it out alive from the group, my bet was Hungary taking the 2nd or 3rd place of the group, too bad for them.

Edited by Deceptrox

Wow. Portugal actually went out there with the intend to win the game rather than grind a result out, and what a result it was. Renato showed what anyone who watched him as he came on as a sub that he should be a starter, the guy terrorised France with his fight and physicality. Ronaldo scored the two penalties which was great but did seem a bit off by the end. France had massive assistance from the referee and that is the only reason they managed to get a draw here. For a start France's goalkeeper should have gotten a red card for his challenged that caused a penalty. It was accidental yes, but you can't be doing reckless challenges like that. Then France's penalty was pretty much the softest penalty ever given with Mbappe just going down the second he feels any contact. The guy then started flopping because if the referee gives that then why not try for other things. Which is all Mbappe was good for in the game as Portugal nullified him completely. If Portugal do go on to win this tournament then no one can deny it this time as a good win, they likely will be meeting a top side in every game now. 

Hungary should be through honestly. Germany is very fortunate and is now gifted with the easier route to the final. On the sort of performance they've shown I would not be shocked to see England beat them. England seems to play better against stronger sides and will likely rise to the moment while I don't see Germany doing the same. 

Spain I was not impressed with, they ran up the score against one of the weakest sides in the tournament and if not gifted with a hell of an OG (worse one yet) they may have drawn this match too. The OG was so bad the guy's defenders began distrusting passing the ball back to him in fear he'd let it pass him. 

Poland and Sweden was a good game and really Poland should have won as they did play better, but losing is the price they pay for being asleep at the start of the match. Lewandowski is in a Ronaldo situation with Poland, but Portugal's team while not as strong as the tippy top teams are still decent players and better than Poland's. 

5 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

I'm sure Belgium wins, either by a tight score or obliterating Portugal if they get the lead quickly and Portugal goes with everything to draw the match. I'm surprised Portugal made it out alive from the group, my bet was Hungary taking the 2nd or 3rd place of the group, too bad for them.

You could say Portugal was the best side in their group. A stream of unlucky stuff in the second and third games are what condemned them to third place. Belgium are a good side but have only come alive for periods in their matches before dropping to mediocre. 

12 hours ago, ValenTris7 said:

Regardless what happens to Portugal going forward, he's had an excellent tournament individually. I haven't seen another player as good as he is at 36. 

7 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Wow. Portugal actually went out there with the intend to win the game rather than grind a result out, and what a result it was. Renato showed what anyone who watched him as he came on as a sub that he should be a starter, the guy terrorised France with his fight and physicality.

Glad to see Renato having a good tournament. Watched him at Euro 2016 and thought he had huge potential, but it didn't really work out for him at Bayern. Had a good season at Lille so it's good to see him looking sharp and in good form again. 

Some nice ties going into the next round.......still hard to pick a clear favorite for me. If England beat Germany at Wembley, we will have big momentum behind us, also with the latter rounds being played at Wembley a good advantage if we make it to that stage. As harsh as it is, if Southgate loses against Germany at Wembley, he should be let go.  

Netherlands also have a really nice route to the semi finals, so I'd expect them to make it to that point. Think England/Germany - Netherlands could be a likely game. Other side for the semi finals is much tougher to make a call. Italy/Belgium also looking good, but you can't rule out France/Portugal/Spain still.

Think it's a very open tournament so far!

My God, this was a very suffering victory for Italy against Austria, I actually thought we were not gonna make it, Austrua proved to be strong: a cancelled goal and a penalty check against us close to each other, and it was in general an harder match than expected. Chiesa really saved us with the first goal in the extra time and made the rest of the match easier.

Whether it's against Belgium or Portugal in the Quarter Finals, it will be really hard to win again, but so far we have performed good in the tournament ??

• Like 1

Since we're having fun i predict Germany and Italy will play in the final. Italy will win obviously.
P.S. Germans may not win or impress my like they did in 2014 but boy i want to see their penalties against England, so Southgate could have some Euro 96 flashbacks.
P.S.2. Denmark and Hungary are my personal heroes during this tournament.

Edited by PIOTREK27-1982
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

Since we're having fun i predict Germany and Italy will play in the final. Italy will win obviously.
P.S. Germans may not win or impress my like they did in 2014 but boy i want to see their penalties against England, so Southgate could have some Euro 96 flashbacks.
P.S.2. Denmark and Hungary are my personal heroes during this tournament.

I hope to watch a Netherlands vs Belgium in the final.

I thought Denmark was going to be beaten by Russia since I consider they depend too much on Eriksen. I wanted Hungary to go through either 2nd or 3rd, but they lost to the team I thought was going to be eliminted from the competence. It's a shame they weren't able to produce as many great players/very competitive teams (like other countries with a great past do) after their golden age ended.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

I hope to watch a Netherlands vs Belgium in the final.

Who wouldn't? Netherlands deserved a World Cup win long time ago and Belgium has best team in history. They achieved more than their 1986 team already and i'm glad that they want more. 

Edited by PIOTREK27-1982

9 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

I thought Denmark was going to be beaten by Russia since I consider they depend too much on Eriksen.

Dane here.

This is far from the truth. Eriksen is rarely good when playing for Denmark. 

Schmeichel, Kjær,  Højberg, Delaney and braithwait are in my opinion more important. And now younger players like Damsgaard, Mæhle and Wind have really stepped up too.

Really hyped for the rest of the tournament, Denmark haven't been this good... ever?. 

Wales was good for the first 10-15 mins or so and then Denmark changed their formation by adding a guy to midfield which Wales didn't respond to so they got swallowed up. It is baffling that the manager had no plan on how to counter Denmark's change.

Italy after 10-15 mins began to dominate Austria also, however, even though there was a huge amount of attacks they were not able to be as dangerous as Denmark in the other game were. Italian players seemed to have some obsession with taking it to the middle and trying to have a shot there which inevitably would mean an Austrian would block it. Second half caused Italy to degrade quite a bit and Austria began to be the better side. It was only when the subs came on that anything really began to change in the nature of Italy's attacks which lead to them scoring. The game has brought Italy's strength into doubt to many now, especially after Wales was obliterated, as perhaps Italy only looked strong because they were up against weak sides. Their possible opponents play today and we'll see who has an edge for the quarter final. Belgium thus far have been poor outside certain spells of 20 mins or so where they start playing effectively. Portugal were in the group of death are are well tested thus far, the performance against France was good and they were unlucky to only draw. 

13 minutes ago, Woopa777 said:

Dane here.

This is far from the truth. Eriksen is rarely good when playing for Denmark. 

Schmeichel, Kjær,  Højberg, Delaney and braithwait are in my opinion more important. And now younger players like Damsgaard, Mæhle and Wind have really stepped up too.

Really hyped for the rest of the tournament, Denmark haven't been this good... ever?. 

Denmark have been Euro champions. I don't think you can say Denmark's side today is better. They smashed a Wales side that looked hopeless on the pitch after the first 10-15 mins and that means very little. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

Who wouldn't? Netherlands deserved a World Cup win long time ago and Belgium has best team in history. They achieved more than their 1986 team already and i'm glad that they want more. 

Yup, Hungary and Holland should have at least one World Cup each, someday. It seems that both team's current squads need (way) more experience to be highly competitive.

Belgium deserved the last World Cup, they were the team that played the most beautiful football, but they didn't score when they had to.

In the end, I didn't like the way France won the World Cup, they have the team to shine and dominate all their rivals but they prefer the mediocre style of scoring and defending their single goal, the only time they stepped on the gas was when they were losing to Argentina.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

I would have never given this Czech Republic a chance, kind weird how either them or Denmark will be in the Semifinals.

Well, Czechoslovakia, which later splitted into Czech Republic and Slovakia, were World Cup runner ups. It seems that they still have some of what made them competitive in their blood.

• Like 1

On 17-6-2021 at 10:57 PM, Baker121 said:

Positive: We (The Netherlands) are the group winner.

Negative: Everything else. Man we play so poorly ?. Two more games and we’re done.

Aaand we’re done! As expected… 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ValenTris7 said:

I thought we were going to see more of Netherlands on the Euro. The 2008-2014 was amazing and deserved at least a trophy, they were so close in 2010. They had an easy way to the semi-finals and wasted it.

Robben had the title on his boots but sent the ball just a bit too low.

Anyway, I hope Netherlands learns from their mistakes in this Euro and comes back stronger in the World Cup.

• Like 1