PS5 or Xbox Series X

vanessaking2

Xbox was my comfort zone for the past few generations. Everything from the controller, interface, achievement system, and online platform were what gaming was to me. However, my interest in gaming wavered a bit last gen. I finally took a step back and realized the obvious. Exclusives between the two is no contest. At the end of the day that's what matters most. I made the switch this generation with the PS5 as my main console (no Xbox yet). While the PS5 exclusives start to trickle in, I have a huge backlog of PS exclusives from past generations. I have a hard time seeing myself switching back anytime soon.

I watched Xbox's E3 showcase and give them credit at least. It looks like they're making more of an attempt to balance the playing field. The acquisition of Bethesda was a big one. I could see myself eventually picking up an Xbox Series X once they have a handful of exclusives. I may even pick it up as soon as Forza Horizon 5 comes out. That series fills my racing fix. The Game Pass service is also very intriguing. This is my first year subscribing to PS Now and it pales in comparison to Game Pass.

They both have their pros and cons but ultimately it comes down to the games in my opinion. Sony has the track record so I'll have to stick with them until that changes.

• Like 1

I have both and am happy with that. There's 2 reasons I left Xbox, the XB1 reveal and lack of games that I liked to play. I think XB is back closer to where they should be imo but really as a gamer it makes sense to own both.

We are a PlayStation family.. We have 3 PS5s, 3 PS4s, 2 PS3s, 2 PS2s, 2 PS1s, a PSP and my Vita. I was stuck for the anniversary with my partner so I bought him the new Xbox thinking we could try it. The look he gave me. You would have thought I’d murdered his mother. Needless to say it was out the house within 15 minutes and is now being enjoyed by his brother. Apparently Xbox is a dirty word here. I’ve never played on one so can’t really comment. But I’ve been happy with PlayStation’s since the first one. 

• Like 2

I prefer Playstation over Xbox by a wide margin. Game Pass doesn't really matter to me since I prefer buying physical copies (I collect Steelbooks), also the exclusives have been vastly superior on the Playstation. I'll surely miss some of Bethesda's Games, so I could end up building another gaming PC or trying XCloud if a game looks really good. There's a ton of things that I would buy before considering an Xbox.

Also, the business consolidation on Microsoft's side really rubs me the wrong way. Same reason why I refuse to get Disney+.

Edited by Iker_01
  • Like 2

Well I was born with Atari 2600 so it doesn't really matter. I am a gamer and not a brand name lover. 

Xbox S/X plays more ps2/ps1 games then the ps4/ps5

Xbox S/X plays more NGC/Wii games then the Switch, lol, the switch.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1

I'd like to shed some personal light on the subject as well, as someone who also follows the industry from the inside.

I've always been a PlayStation gamer from the very beginning in the nineties - despite having played on Xbox and Nintendo consoles before - and both sides have their pros and cons, if we're taking an objective approach.

Xbox & Bethesda's E3 2021 presentation was filled to the brim with games, but I wasn't wowed by anything exclusive, really. One of Xbox's biggest faults is that they've always stuck to the same franchises. Halo, Gears of War, Forza. I've seen very little innovation in new IP's from them. Not just that, particularly Halo has taken a dive in quality, their big flagship franchise. Sure, a few announcements were really interesting, such as A Plague Tale 2, but those games are coming to PlayStation too. And even then, most of the games you saw are either multiplatform or console launch exclusives. Meaning: they'll come out first on Xbox, and then make their way to other platforms down the line. And a decent portion of those games lacked the big wow factor. I've yet to see an Xbox game score dozens of awards unlike PlayStation's exclusives which have been knocking it out of the park for years now. Don't be surprised if a bunch of these announced games end up nailing 6's and 7's out of 10. A 7/10 game classifies as a good game for me, but it's still a far cry from the very high ratings PlayStation games have been scoring.

The only ace in the hole you could argue Xbox does have, is the Xbox Game Pass, which seems to provide an unreasonable amount of value for your monthly fee. The only catch is that games don't just get added; they get pulled from the service too from time to time. So you'll need to keep up with everything that's releasing and play those new entries asap to get the most out of your subscription.

The big X-factor here is Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda. Are they going to give them the creative freedom they need and provide the financial oxygen to make whatever they want? Or will they attempt to influence them to solely provide games that fit the Xbox portfolio (i.e. "all child-friendly games which you can play online with your friends")? We'll have to wait and see what route they take, but so far - and this is early after the acquisition - Starfield could be interesting, but Redfall from Arkane Studios looked "alright" at first glance. So, I'm not exactly hyped about anything Xbox-exclusive related of Bethesda. At all.

PlayStation's E3 2021 presentation was simply non-existent. That doesn't mean nothing is in the works; they're working hard at the games they've already publicly revealed, and a special E3-esque State of Play could be coming soon too.

However, PlayStation 5's big problem in my opinion is its new $70/€80 admission price. I dropped it in another recent thread, but that price surpasses my personal willingness-to-pay tipping point. Not a single standard edition of a video game is worth that amount of cash. Especially when games don't get significantly more impressive or longer or sustainable to warrant that $/€10 mark-up, which is an increase of approx. 15%! The most recent example of this is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Great game, but only ten - hours - long. To ask $70/€80 for a ten-hour game is downright insulting from a consumer's POV.

The exhausting nonsensical excuse I've heard so very often of people here and elsewhere justifying this consumer exploitation is that "game length is subjective, because I'll replay the game a lot and then get a lot more value per hour". I'm almost inclined to call that psychological response "economic Stockholm Syndrome". That's just not how it works. When you consume a piece of media, the initial first experience is what's mainly taken into account, disregarding strict replays. Can you imagine if film studios started asking $/€50 for a movie on Bluray, "but you'll get a lot of value out of it if you rewatch the movie 100 times!" ? By which ridiculous standards are we going to start rating games and movies then?

That pricetag is inexcusable, and I'm not the first who has already made it abundantly clear that I'm going to wait for a sale on these new high-price titles. Companies deserve to make a profit if they provide a worthwhile product. But consumers (and employees) shouldn't be exploited like this, just to fatten CEO and shareholder pockets.

This all being said: PlayStation exclusives are vastly superior to Xbox ones. They provide more innovation, most of all, as Sony PlayStation has been steadily developing new successful IP's with each console generation, which spawned profitable franchises. To name a few: the PS2 had Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus and Killzone. The PS3 introduced Uncharted, The Last of Us, InFamous and LittleBigPlanet. The PS4 gave us Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and Marvel's Spider-Man. All of which have bloomed into franchises or are planning to, based on their critical and financial performance. Even with the $70/80€ pricetag, my advice is to vote with your wallet and wait until these new games go on sale after several months on the PlayStation Store. Then they're worth picking up.

TL;DR:

Xbox's games line-up is plentiful, but quality-wise, most of it looked just "good" at best. The Game Pass is a solid way to play those new games at an affordable price. Bethesda acquisition is up in the air for now as a big X-factor. Could be decisive in leveling the playing field, depending on Microsoft's intrusion in the development process.

PlayStation's line-up is very slow at this moment, but will build up with time. Their exclusives will most likely surpass the Xbox's in terms of quality, but I do suggest not purchasing exclusives at the new $70/80€ launch pricetag - due to a lower quality-price ratio - and wait for a sale at some point.(*)

(*) And for all of you who are about to rant in my direction, claiming that I would want companies to fail and to boycott products: I do not. All I am stating, is that the new launch prices of PlayStation exclusives are indefensible. If sales figures turn out lower than expected, they'll have to follow suit and lower their prices again. At a reasonable and normal level.

• Like 1

Sure Playstation exclusives are better, For those with a large 360 library and don't mind buying cross platform games depending on price? The XBS S/X is a winner. I see allot of new titles cheaper on Xbox at retail level. Xbox is mainly Western titles but I play them allot anyway, except for Forza and Halo.

In my mind the PS4 and PS4 pro are still current where as the XB1 isn't.

I really like the Series X Dashboard + all the sweet QoL Features like snapping Achievement Tracker and Party Overlay in the corner, Rare Achievement Sound (it's sooo good and satisfying), Xbox GamePass, Backwards Compatibility with the FPS Boost and X360 Games look awesome on the Series X! Bonus Point: You just can't hear this Console at all....it's insane!

Official 1440p and VRR Support is also a huge advantage vs the PS5 for me.

But I really hate that the Series X downloads are really slow compared to the PS5! The Download speed vary between 200-500MBit/s and I get constant 900-950 MBit/s on the PS5.
My Soundsetup has a very little but sometimes noticeable delay on the Series X if its set to Dolby Digital 5.1.

You can't use USB Microphones and there is no Mic Sensitivity Feature which suuuucks so badly.

Microsoft showed and announced some really cool games on the E3 and with Games like Halo Infinite Multiplayer + Forza Horizon 5 I will spend a really good amount of time on the Series X.

If someone skipped the Xbox One Generation, you will have a extremly good time playing all these games enhanced on the Series X, but I already played them on the One and One X and thats why I don't use the Series X that often without new games atm. The Series X will be mostly for the Exclusives and some indie games which get a day one gamepass release.
For everything else I will prefer the PS5...also because most of my friends play on Playstation primary.

I really wish Sony would have a good Multiplayer + Racing IP (GT just sucks and looks like a joke if you played forza).

The Sony Exclusives are great and really really high quality so far but they are mostly 10-20h experiences.

Edited by YesImAPwnda

I do not own the Xbox Series X, but I have owned the Xbox One X (man, these names are so dumb)...and I must say I really disliked the user interface a ton. If the Series X is anything similar to last gen in terms of the interface, I don’t think I’d like it much. It felt like I was browsing a fancy website rather than a console home screen, but maybe that’s just me. 

The one thing that would possibly ever make me stray away from PlayStation is the ability to play all past generation titles, bc that’s pretty impeccable. PlayStation having better exclusives will always give them the upper hand though, no competition there. At the end of the day it’ll always be PlayStation for me.