Online Servers officially announced permanently closed.

JamieCon20

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

Because of things like Dreams (also made by Media Molecule), Roblox, Minecraft, MarioMaker etc it's hard to go back to designing stuff on LBP, it was innovative in 2008 though.

It was made in a time when online console games were in their infancy and I think it is a product of its time. Because of how bad stuff like social media is, all that Play for Play, H2H stuff, I don't think the whole infrastructure of LBP can be repeated. Everyone is too busy on their smartphones in the next generation to make LBP levels now. Which is a shame.

The kids of today are also too busy playing Minecraft, getting hooked on F2P stuff like Fortnite. too much choice now, I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like LittleBigPlanet ever again. Fall Guys feels like a replacement to the multiplayer fun found on LBP, even though it's not the same game.

Didn't help that the Vita version, was on the Vita. Not even a proper LBP4 in the whole of the PS4 life span.

The new PS5 game of Sackboy, well it's a different game now, nothing like the first two games, LBP3 was ok I guess but even when LBP3 was released, I think the glory days of LBP was over.

Which is sad.

This. Definitley.

• Like 3

On 14.09.2021 at 3:50 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

And how do you figure you deserver trophies you didn't earn? I'll never understand how people feel so entitled. I missed out on quite a few of these, and I don't feel like I am owed anything. 

Gotta love these butthurt people. I assume you did it with the intended way then? Meaning you didn't boost it?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Kids don't have disposable income like we do. I worked plenty of jobs with overtime which resulted in a sizeable amount of income to buy games. Most minors under the age of 18 still have to rely on their parents to give them money and support. Like most kids, I didn't exactly have the money to just go out and buy games. Contrary to what people today think, games back in the PS2 era were actually more expensive than PS5 games are today. $69.99 is the launch price in 2021 dollars for PS5 games. I had to pay $49.99 to $59.99 for PS2 games. Change that value into 2021 dollars and you actually had to pay more money.

Your other point isn't good either. I bought Max Payne 3 at the beginning of August, saw the online will be going down, and decided to jump straight onto the online trophies. Even if I couldn't get the online done in time or I put it off, it was a risk I was willing to take.

You always take a risk with old games with online servers. If you don't care about trophies, then this stuff shouldn't matter to you all that much.

The best thing we can hope for is LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 getting re-released with trophy support. Probably be more shameless remasters sure, but it's an idea.

I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing, but my only point has been that not everyone has realistically had 10 years. Therefore the blanket statement 'you've had a decade to get them, it's your own fault' is factually false.

It's a language issue. It implies everyone was trophy hunting (or at least gaming) by 2011, was aware of the game & its trophies and just chose to put it off. It's just not true.

I'm not trying to argue this has any impact on whether or how servers should be shut down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sebulba2000 said:

Gotta love these butthurt people. I assume you did it with the intended way then? Meaning you didn't boost it?

I'm Butthurt because I don't believe people deserve free trophies that they did nothing to earn? Are you saying people should just get whatever trophies they missed just given to them for free? Do you support illegitimate trophies? Do you think boosting is cheating (And call every booster out on this site) Not that I need to justify anything to you, but the few online trophies I do have in the LBP games were never boosted. I'll give you a D- for effort though!!

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sebulba2000 said:

It's a shame when people make the trophy hunt about others and not themselves. We're all here to get trophies/achievements for different reasons, but the strangest part about this site that I never see on PSTrophies or TrueAchievements is such a large number of people that are toxic in every single thread that they join. Who cares what other people are doing to earn their trophies? Isn't the reason you keep track of them for you? I don't know a single person once I turn this computer off that would be impressed if I had more or fewer trophies than I do haha, this has no extrinsic value what we do here.

We're here in this thread to discuss a game's alleged closure. The subject line of this specific thread doesn't suggest it's even a trophy discussion, just that the game can't be played online right now. If legitimacy for anything were ever upheld, then the thousands of people with trophies w/out timestamps from when their accounts were just sub-accounts or were offline PS3 users would have been banned, online trophies in games w/out anti-cheat wouldn't be listed, modded controllers wouldn't be linked in threads on every FPS or FG on the site, and - exactly - boosting threads would be gone, too.

It's a waste of energy. If we used this thread to find ways of communicating with developers or community managers, there'd be a chance that what happened back in May with the digital market places would get repeated, and then there'd be absolutely no concern about the trophy legitimacy for anyone currently present. If there was a grace period provided, then anyone who complained at that point would have nothing to stand on. As it is, we were given false advertising and inaccurate, vague, and obscure communications in video game news outlets as well as social media posts. I found out this afternoon that they still haven't listed the server closures on playstation.com/gameservers , which has been accurate and up-to-date w/ every other first party title that has been closed, and some major third party titles as well. I'm not saying that there's a hidden agenda or that this is evidence that we are guaranteed anything, but I find that very strange, especially given the brevity of their update on Monday and the lack of social media presence they've had since (usually, for example, the Twitter account posts constantly throughout the day about community content regarding Sackboy: A Big Adventure, but even that isn't happening).

Edited by Moostache7
Typo
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Bordpie said:

Well damn, I bought the PS3 with all the money I saved up back in 2008 literally just for this game. I tried really hard to get the trophies legitimately, just needed the 30 author hearts (and publish a level with water which is not difficult). I moved onto the the later LBP games and then largely stopped playing PS3 after 2015. I have come back to replay old games and finish off the trophies (mostly the R&C series) and just found this website. Since I was not far from completeing LBP1 and I sunk so much time and passion into that game I felt like it would be nice to finally wrap it up.

But apparently no 1f61e.png.

I think since PS3 was the first big online console with trophies, the lack of posterity for online content is starting to hit home as the servers close. MAG was the canary in the coal mine which was all online and closed in 2013. Older consoles without online/trophies don't have this issue. Hopefully this will spur interest in legacy servers. I would legitimately pay a subscription to a special legacy server for this kind of stuff. Maybe if they hosted games on a rolling basis to focus on particular trophies.

This. Thank you for saying so, showing interest in things like this is exactly what made PlayStation retract their discontinuation of the PS3 and Vita digital marketplaces.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 10:02 PM, enaysoft said:

Because of things like Dreams (also made by Media Molecule), Roblox, Minecraft, MarioMaker etc it's hard to go back to designing stuff on LBP, it was innovative in 2008 though.

It was made in a time when online console games were in their infancy and I think it is a product of its time. Because of how bad stuff like social media is, all that Play for Play, H2H stuff, I don't think the whole infrastructure of LBP can be repeated. Everyone is too busy on their smartphones in the next generation to make LBP levels now. Which is a shame.

The kids of today are also too busy playing Minecraft, getting hooked on F2P stuff like Fortnite. too much choice now, I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like LittleBigPlanet ever again. Fall Guys feels like a replacement to the multiplayer fun found on LBP, even though it's not the same game.

Didn't help that the Vita version, was on the Vita. Not even a proper LBP4 in the whole of the PS4 life span.

The new PS5 game of Sackboy, well it's a different game now, nothing like the first two games, LBP3 was ok I guess but even when LBP3 was released, I think the glory days of LBP was over.

Which is sad.

LittleBigPlanet to me was that game where it made me laugh when I was at home. LBP1 had alot wholesome times with artists and overal just co-op fun. Sitting in with creators always felt fun, came to making the perfect levels.

It was like a Garry's mod for playstation 3 only wasn't first person but side scroller.

LBP2 Beta was the absolute height of it's community, when I was invited (sorry if I sound corny) I literally had tears of joy playing that. I still have LBP2 beta file on my ps3.  

LBP2 on release had some great stuff, though will admit wasn't a fan of arcade/movie stuff I was more into creating areas/tech, artwork, platformers & survival/ challenges.

I wouldn't blame the death of LBP on other games that are F2P, mobile etc. To me it was the direction that sony took after Media Molecule wasn't in the development of LBP.  

LBP1 & 2 - Strengths was the online co-op with create levels and such.

LBP psp - while no online it was handheld where you download player's levels.

LBP Karting - like modnation racers but will admit imo wasn't all that great but nonetheless it was a good approach.

LBP prehistoric moves - gimmicky for the PSmove

LBPVita - first LBP game made by Sumo, thought the online was broken imo not sure if ever got fixed.

LBP3 - Broken game for online also made by Sumo, not sure if ever been fixed. 

Now if I was to say how to bring LBP back?  Well I don't think a single player game like LBP Adventures could do that but it being a 3D Platformer could be a step in the right direction, it would need a online community that can create & remove PS+ needed in order to play.  Maybe make it into 16 players in a level. I also think making a remaster/remake of original is also not the right direction as well. 

Dreams, media molecule's new game could've sparked up if it had online multiplayer and a big community behind it. But I think Dreams feels like Project Spark at this point imo. That being said I haven't bought it or played it, only saw footage, looks like a game dev kit.  heh

Edited by fyiByas
Mobile posting heh
  • Like 1

I definitely think it's their response to someone who mentioned trophy hunters that irks me on this. I know it's an extenuating circumstance but that should also call for out of the box or an extraordinary solutions to trophies and players that had the rug pulled out from under them. 

We need some people to keep pestering these devs..

• Like 2

On 17/09/2021 at 9:17 PM, Moostache7 said:

For those who might be interested:

https://chng.it/nqTZ7sgW99

Signed. I know it's a longshot and petitions don't usually influence as much as one would hope, but it's better than doing nothing. This is a unique scenario where there was no notice of shutdown even though it literally states on the back of the game case (at least on LBP1) that the servers are subject to shutdown with 90 day notice. Hackers or no, someone's decision to purchase the game (trophy hunters especially) could have been solely based on those words. It should be upheld.

1 hour ago, GunfighterHefty said:

I definitely think it's their response to someone who mentioned trophy hunters that irks me on this. I know it's an extenuating circumstance but that should also call for out of the box or an extraordinary solutions to trophies and players that had the rug pulled out from under them. 

We need some people to keep pestering these devs..

I've been @'ing them on Twitter (keeping it civil and friendly of course, don't want to harass them). Even sent Sumo a DM. No response but will keep trying in hope's they'll change their mind.

• Like 4

On 9/15/2021 at 11:28 AM, StacFace92 said:

I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing, but my only point has been that not everyone has realistically had 10 years. Therefore the blanket statement 'you've had a decade to get them, it's your own fault' is factually false.

It's a language issue. It implies everyone was trophy hunting (or at least gaming) by 2011, was aware of the game & its trophies and just chose to put it off. It's just not true.

I'm not trying to argue this has any impact on whether or how servers should be shut down.

You're arguing semantics, and it's both unrealistic and disingenuous.

The game was available for 10 years. For anyone that was late to the party, that's on them. And that applies to a large majority of server closures

`

25 minutes ago, TheRedMaverick said:

Signed. I know it's a longshot and petitions don't usually influence as much as one would hope, but it's better than doing nothing. This is a unique scenario where there was no notice of shutdown even though it literally states on the back of the game case (at least on LBP1) that the servers are subject to shutdown with 90 day notice. Hackers or no, someone's decision to purchase the game (trophy hunters especially) could have been solely based on those words. It should be upheld.

I've been @'ing them on Twitter (keeping it civil and friendly of course, don't want to harass them). Even sent Sumo a DM. No response but will keep trying in hope's they'll change their mind.

Thank you very much for the signature.

• Like 1

On 16.09.2021 at 0:32 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

I'm Butthurt because I don't believe people deserve free trophies that they did nothing to earn? Are you saying people should just get whatever trophies they missed just given to them for free? Do you support illegitimate trophies? Do you think boosting is cheating (And call every booster out on this site) Not that I need to justify anything to you, but the few online trophies I do have in the LBP games were never boosted. I'll give you a D- for effort though!!

The ultimately intended way to earn the trophies is by not even boosting them. People who are butthurt about others just wanting online autopop are no better than the ones boosting competetive games. That's what I meant. If you've boosted it - good for you.

Also, I don't give a crap about people earning trophies illegitimately. I'm not a squealer like most of the people on these forums who report people who were level autopopped by hackers. I simply don't care. I focus on my profile and have way better things to do than making other people's lives harder.

We all hate the shutdown crap and just want to be done ASAP with online, with boosting for instance, doing so, the trophy hunters never actually do competetive games legit. That's why I'm laughing the heck out of these butthurt people.

• Like 3

Lol I was 3 or 2 plays away from the 50 unique players trophy which was my last online trophy for the game. 

I will say this, playing the game before the servers were attacked/shutdown there was a very toxic player base of bullying and clearly content that ranged from inappropriate to just outright bizarre. So I am not really surprised they just decided to pull the plug it was clearly the easiest way to solve that problem.

I 100% disagree with the servers being shut off the way they did it, but the game is 10 years old on a platform Sony could care less about so you kinda of just have to assume it could/likely happen with or without warning. 

Not fair but thats life, another game to haunt me from the shelf for not finishing 10 years earlier. The real people I fell bad for are people who still played it for fun online. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tolmancer said:

I think for the most part people really need to have a reality check and take stock of themselves.

I no longer have a "100% profile" possible, as this has been negated by this news alone.  I have a number of trophies in backlog that I'm working through at the moment, and in a couple of months I'll be back into the 98% range (99.9% will take a tad longer as there's some particularly meaty requirements in front of me).  

I had one trophy left with online functionality for LittleBigPlanet Vita remaining- the "Level received 50 plays by different people" (I've done the other components of partial online required) and was working through that very trophy via boosting sessions hosted on this site at the time the servers went down.  I had actually played between 300 - 400 (I began to keep a rough gauge once it was apparent I wasn't having my time reciprocated to a ridiculous degree)  "play for plays" with people from this community but somehow ended up with less than 40 (I don't recall the exact number - just that I wasn't in the single digit home stretch).

I give this detail, because I think that would place me well within the realms of being susceptible to being extremely bitter.  I was actively going for the trophy and was robbed of it solely due to the selfishness of people from this site focusing only on their own trophies and gain thereof.

But do you know what my reaction to this is?  "Oh well".  That's it. 

I'm not signing a petition, I'm not complaining online, I'm not investing any more emotional energy into something that really should be insignificant.  This is part of the experience as far as I'm concerned.

Service has been restored for the most recent entry and that game is 7 years old.  That's beyond expectations to be completely honest.

If this bothers you - start playing solely PS3 and PS Vita titles with online from now on, because this is the canary in the proverbial coal mine - clearly there is a vulnerability in that neck of the woods that Sony can't plug but they could with PS4 - or maybe that's because the online for PS4 is paid for if you want to be cynical and the PS3/PSVita online was free.

Thank you for commenting but you should go back less than a page in the thread. Nobody is requiring you to sign any petitions. Have a good one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, snakebit10 said:

Only trouble I may have with getting the Platinum in LBP2 will be getting all prize bubbles. I have most of LBP2 done, it's just the collectibles I am concerned about now. I don't know how many require more than one person to obtain. If not I'll just move onto LBP3 on PS4 and try to knock that out before something happens to that.

I did order a controller online and did the prize Bubbles right away when it arrived. But one of the two 4X stuff made me get one of my brothers to get that out of the way. Just be sure to get somebody locally for the 4X area for Prize Bubbles there.

The Factory of Tomorrow one is annoying solo, but when you throw the explosive to the area needed for Prize Bubbles, pause, and pick up the second controller, and pause with player 1 to swap with the third and fourth controller when so. Again this will take multiple tries, but it's possible. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, EdgeHosenkan said:

Hi, maybe is just me and not see it but Littlebigplanet ps3 is unobtaible right ?

LittleBig Planet, LittleBig Planet 2, LittleBig Planet Vita, and LittleBig Planet 3 (PS3) were all receiving a +6 month long period of "server maintenance" beginning earlier this year and ending on September 12th, when it was announced that all four would be permanently shutdown despite it being advertised that that would never even be considered as an option.

I fully expect quotes and replies that are unproductive and useless, which I will not reply to, but nonetheless, here is a link to a petition that includes some of the details regarding this shutdown and how Sumo Digital may have illegally disregarded the original End User License Agreement established by Media Molecule, which required the copyright holder to communicate to players 90 days in advance of any discontinuation of online servers that such a thing would occur:

https://www.change.org/p/media-molecule-save-the-online-services-of-littlebigplanet-games-on-ps3-and-ps-vita?redirect=false

• Like 1

Just now, Moostache7 said:

LittleBig Planet, LittleBig Planet 2, LittleBig Planet Vita, and LittleBig Planet 3 (PS3) were all receiving a +6 month long period of "server maintenance" beginning earlier this year and ending on September 12th, when it was announced that all four would be permanently shutdown despite it being advertised that that would never even be considered as an option.

I fully expect quotes and replies that are unproductive and useless, which I will not reply to, but nonetheless, here is a link to a petition that includes some of the details regarding this shutdown and how Sumo Digital may have illegally disregarded the original End User License Agreement established by Media Molecule, which required the copyright holder to communicate to players 90 days in advance of any discontinuation of online servers that such a thing would occur:

https://www.change.org/p/media-molecule-save-the-online-services-of-littlebigplanet-games-on-ps3-and-ps-vita?redirect=false

Thanks you, so only LBP 3 ps4 is OK ? I know karting is closed too