Is this game worth playing in 2021?

Tidus755

I would say yes. I platinumed it a year or two ago and I thought it was great. If you're a fan of open world sandbox style games you will most likely enjoy it. The city is fun to explore and the gameplay is pretty solid overall. 

The only negative thing I have to say is there are far too many of the free play events/random events or whatever you call them. I remember there was a trophy for completing almost all of them and it gets very tedious after awhile. Still no reason to avoid the game though imo.

On 12/04/2022 at 2:37 PM, NewAgeOutlaw17 said:

The only negative thing I have to say is there are far too many of the free play events/random events or whatever you call them.

I was kinda annoyed at this for a while and they eventually get to be a bit of fun. Reminds me of the shards we have to collect in inFamous and the parkour going up buildings and high places... also like solving a mini-puzzle along the way.

Besides what not to like about killing all the evil Nazis and liberate France in the process? Sadly a reflection on what's actually happening in Ukraine at the moment with Putin's own Nazi army invading and destroying a sovereign country. Перемога Україні

Edited by Eispan

10 hours ago, Eispan said:

I was kinda annoyed at this for a while and they eventually get to be a bit of fun. Reminds me of the shards we have to collect in inFamous and the parkour going up buildings and high places... also like solving a mini-puzzle in the process.

Besides what not to like about killing all the evil Nazis and liberate France in the process? Sadly a reflection on what's actually happening in Ukraine at the moment with Putin's own Nazi army invading and destroying a sovereign country. Перемога Україні

I agree, even though I felt there were too many it was still pretty fun wreaking havoc on the nazis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update and a very disappointing one at that.

Is it really worth it that a 2009 game with its developers and studio already disbanded - so no patches or updates done in since then... on a console that is no longer in production and no longer supported in 2022? The last known patch was in June 2021.

My answer now might be a NO - despite me saying otherwise before.  The Saboteur crashes a lot and in that notorious chateau mission where it is said to happen here the most might be a literal game breaker...

... my PS3 Superslim (emphasizing this because this is the latest of the consoles released for the PS3 therefore should be able to handle the games more efficiently than the earlier versions) sadly DIED with the Green Screen of Death (GSOD).  This may be due to the game constantly crashing/happening beforehand. So to those that want to play this very very old game with an older version of the console should really think hard before pushing through.  Basically the crashes can nuke the console's GPU.

I don't want to look like a hypocrite when folks find out that I eventually completed the game (once I get a replacement for the PS3)... I WILL still play it and get the platinum even if it breaks more PS3s in the process - simply because I would hate to see this game defeat me if left incomplete. This shit is going to taunt me whenever I see the trophies, almost like accepting defeat and letting the Nazi's win!

Joking aside, to anyone interested in this game especially to my fellow Playstation Legacy gamers - do approach it with caution and think very VERY hard before playing it if you still really care for your priceless PS3 console. As we all know, they are no longer in production and no brand new units are available anymore.

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 6:42 PM, Eispan said:

Is it really worth that a 2009 game with its developers already disbanded - so no patches or updates done in since then... on a console that is no longer in production and currently not supported in 2022?

My answer now might be a NO - despite me saying otherwise before.  The Saboteur crashes a lot and in that notorious chateau mission where it's said to happen here the most...

... my PS3 Superslim (emphasizing this because this is the latest of the consoles released for the PS3 therefore should be able to handle the games more efficiently than the earlier versions) sadly DIED with the Green Screen of Death (GSOD).  This may be due to the game constantly crashing happening beforehand. So those that want to play this very old game with an older version of the console should really think hard before pushing through.  Basically the crashes nuked the console's GPU.

I don't want to look like a hypocrite once folks find out that I eventually completed the game (once I get a replacement for the PS3)... I WILL still play it and get the platinum even if I break more PS3s in the process simply because I'd hate this game to see me defeated with an incomplete game. This shit is going to taunt me whenever I see the trophies if I don't conquer it. It's like letting the Nazi's win!

Joking aside, to anyone interested in this game especially to my fellow Playstation Legacy gamers - do approach it with caution and think very VERY hard before playing it if you really love your priceless PS3 console.

Damn that's scary... Maybe I'll play it on PC instead :P

On 4/25/2022 at 0:42 AM, Eispan said:

Is it really worth that a 2009 game with its developers already disbanded - so no patches or updates done in since then... on a console that is no longer in production and currently not supported in 2022?

My answer now might be a NO - despite me saying otherwise before.  The Saboteur crashes a lot and in that notorious chateau mission where it's said to happen here the most...

... my PS3 Superslim (emphasizing this because this is the latest of the consoles released for the PS3 therefore should be able to handle the games more efficiently than the earlier versions) sadly DIED with the Green Screen of Death (GSOD).  This may be due to the game constantly crashing happening beforehand. So those that want to play this very old game with an older version of the console should really think hard before pushing through.  Basically the crashes nuked the console's GPU.

I don't want to look like a hypocrite once folks find out that I eventually completed the game (once I get a replacement for the PS3)... I WILL still play it and get the platinum even if I break more PS3s in the process simply because I'd hate this game to see me defeated with an incomplete game. This shit is going to taunt me whenever I see the trophies if I don't conquer it. It's like letting the Nazi's win!

Joking aside, to anyone interested in this game especially to my fellow Playstation Legacy gamers - do approach it with caution and think very VERY hard before playing it if you really love your priceless PS3 console.

I've played the game on both an original launch PS3, and a Superslim, and I didn't have it crash once. That sounds terrible. I hope your future PS3's fare better, perhaps your dead one was already on its way out? Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Just for reference: I played The Saboteur's story in 2010 on a PS3 phat and wrapped up the collectibles in 2018 on that exact same PS3. I can't remember any crashes, maybe there were one or two but definitely no constant or reproducible crashes. And yes, the PS3 is still running smoothly, used it a lot since 2018.

And also yes: The Saboteur is absolutely worth playing! I even plan to re-play it on an Alt in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got me a replacement 12 GB PS3 Superslim and so far it had froze thrice and one was just even at the menu as the game loads up the game save.  Had this silly idea that my previous HDD (from the GSOD console) would just be plug and play but as it turns out the PS3 encryption will not allow that and would ALWAYS want to reformat the HDD - so say bye bye to all whatever game data was stored in there.  I may also have to deactivate all my Playstation consoles to be able to use another PS3 since we are only allowed to keep a limited number of activated consoles at any given time, such a hassle when these things happen, isn't it?

What I am doing to be on the safe side is do all the FREEPLAY events including AREA 3 before going for the main/story missions.  We may have to complete the (train) bridge bombing mission first to unlock the last area in Paris.  This mission had also froze the game when trying to complete the FREEPLAY events on the bridge (in advance) the moment I try to appraoch and blow up the towers - so we may want to skip that area first until after we have completed Skylar's story mission - Rolling Thunder in Act II.  I haven't went back to do the chateau/Aurora mission yet, Vitorre's Repo Man also in Act II - the part that GSOD my previous PS3. I'll do this mission only after finishing all ambient freeplays in the hope that this would circumvent the bug.

This would be my second PS3 to have died.  The first one was from a well maintained, regularly cleaned and scratch-free PS3 250 Slim (just to give an idea on how well I take care of my consoles). Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions was the game that YLOD that console for some reason.  So yeah I must have bad luck with PS3s seeing how some of us here still have their PHATs working so well... can't say that I'm not envious of these lucky folks! 

I always get nervous and anxious when playing The Saboteur - anticipating the next time the console freezes. I can't wait to finally get to finish this game but one thing I am sure of is that I am NEVER going to play any of the notorious FALLOUT games on the PS3.  I don't think it's worth the risk knowing that the freezes and crashes are much worse in that Bethesda game - no matter how amazing others say it is.

I would still advice anyone planning to play this game to approach it with caution, especially if your console is known to be acting up a bit lately. Not every experience will be the same for everybody and I really hope that yours wouldn't be the same as mine. 

The Saboteur is a very fun game to play BUT it's also very old and unsupported on a console that has been discontinued for quite some time now and as it currently stands support for it is gradually being phased out.  Not scaremongering here, just a freindly reminder of what could happen when Murphy/Sod's Law decides to photobomb the picture - based on my personal experience.  I can almost hear Sean Devlin call me a very unlucky sunnovabich with my experience.

Edited by Eispan

On 5/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, Taliesin_2943 said:

This is definitely one of the PS3 games they should find a way to digitize and bring forward to ps4/ps5 or have a remaster done on it

Here's to hoping it will be at least available with the new PS+ subscriptions !

• Like 1

The Saboteur was one of the best games I played on PS3; the absolute definition of a hidden gem.  I had so much fun with it.  Yes, the graphics will look dated now, which is to be expected, given its age, but graphics are not the be-all and end-all of a game.

If, against all odds, it ever does get remastered one day, I'll buy it on day one and drop whatever else I'm playing at the time to get stuck into it all over again.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 5:08 AM, Eispan said:

*snip*

Not sure what the issue is that's causing your game to crash, but I never had this problem.  I played and completed (1000G, or whatever it is) this game on 360 first, and loved it.  I loved it so much I got another copy for PS3 when I started playing games exclusively on PS consoles.  I never had any crashing issues whatsoever on either platform.  I played the disc version both times.  I've had issues with digital games on both PS3 and PS4 - though more so on PS4 - not installing correctly and either never booting up, never loading past the main menu, or crashing constantly during gameplay.  Every time the solution was to fully delete and reinstall the game.  I've always hated digital games and excluding PS+ titles I always get games on disc, and this issue just solidified my stance.  Maybe the issue you're having is related, maybe it's not, but I wanted to share that either way.

Back to the game though, this was literally a random recommendation I found online while looking for something else entirely.  I was intrigued, so I kept reading reviews and they were all so good that I just had to play it.  As I said above, I played on 360 first, then PS3.  I love this game so much that I wish I could erase the memory of it from my brain just so I could play it again for the first time.  It's one of the best games I've ever played, and I loved everything about it.

• Like 1

A truly competitor to Mafia at the time. The best work that Pandemic ever made. One of the most beautiful art directions in games. And yet, EA didn't gave a f*ck about the game and even killed Pandemic after that, because making generic broken racing games and releasing the same sport games every year is the priority.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StewartBros said:

The Saboteur was one of the best games I played on PS3; the absolute definition of a hidden gem.  I had so much fun with it.  Yes, the graphics will look dated now, which is to be expected, given its age, but graphics are not the be-all and end-all of a game.

If, against all odds, it ever does get remastered one day, I'll buy it on day one and drop whatever else I'm playing at the time to get stuck into it all over again.

If it got remade or remastered......well I love the game so much I'd honestly pay full ps4/ps5 price for it like full price it's that good hell I'd even go for a strait up port

On 20/05/2022 at 1:58 AM, Matto_lsi said:

Not sure what the issue is that's causing your game to crash, but I never had this problem... this (game) was literally a random recommendation I found online while looking for something else entirely.

I think this may have something to do with the game's disc, despite looking prestine from the outset - no scratches, marks, dirt or whatever, there's a tendency for the disc game to be somewhat broken as NEVARRA on PST.org discussed - Countryside Glitch?  Basically the left side of Paris was somehow inaccessible for him and no matter what was done - delete game save, resetting/reformatting/reinstalling the PS3 nothing seems to work... UNTIL a different/borrowed copy of the game was used only then did these problem had gone.  The broken copy of the game was also said to be prestine and in good condition.

I got my copy pre-owned but not just recently, probably was in 2010-11, a couple of years later when the game first came out.  So technically not really used or played to death by previous owners.  I kept it in my collections cabinet in its re-sealed case (as what I do to all my games for preservation) since then and ONLY took it out when I started playing it last month.  It still is a clean copy and I cleaned it with water-based wipes and dried it with a proper cotton cloth before playing... and yet it still had some really nasty and broken cutscenes.  Which is why I am now somewhat convinced that the game disc is broken and it is also probably the reason why the previous PS3 died as well - disc reading problems?

There were two broken cutscenes in my copy of the game - Out of the Frying Pan, the cutscene at the end of the prologue where the Nazis invade France for the first time from Saarbrücken. I just let it roll as the cutscene went through all that garbled audio and pixellated CGI scenes and this took a while to finish.

The second one is much more broken as the game would go through the same garbled audio then totally freezes and the closing of the console takes a while before it shuts down completely, but not after letting out multiple beeps.  From The Ashes, the cutscene at the very end of the mission where Sean Devlin wins and crosses the finish line in the Paris Grand Prix.  The SOLUTION for this is to SKIP the cutscene by pressing/spamming :circle: in the hope that the game will recognise this input and immediately take us back into the game.  I nearly bought another copy of this game out of desperation - good thing I tried this SKIP first, should've done this earlier actually.

So yeah having a good copy of the game should also be put into consideration.  I am also kinda thinking that the v4.88 PS3 update we had recently which was meant to stabilise the console may have had issues with this very old game.  Just like our phone's OS, some apps need updating to work well with the new OS update versions, I thought it could be the same with the PS3 as well.  As most of us here claims they had no problems in the past (older PS3 firmware versions) when they played the game. 

I could only guess or hypothesise, it is the only explanation I could think of having played the game now on THREE PS3 consoles - Slim 250, Superslim 500 and a Superslim 12GB all having the same freezing/crashing problems.

In any case I have completed the game a few days ago and got the platinum.  Is it a fun game? YES no doubt about that.  Will I recommend it to anyone in 2022? I don't know what to say really - on one hand I don't want fellow Playstation Legacy players to miss out on this gem... on the other hand I also don't want to be responsible for eventually breaking a console that's rare and no longer in production, especially if they really took good care of their machine.  Folks just have to be mindful of the different experiences of other gamers.  

Edited by Eispan

I platted the game back in 2017, not quite 2021 but still long after the game's initial release. The game was never really on my radar prior to that, but one day I was looking at potential games to buy and I stumbled upon The Saboteur. I decided to look online for a quick synopsis of the story and I discovered that it was about a drunken Irishman who races cars and kicks Nazi ass in his spare time. As a sometimes drunken Irishman myself, I was sold on it from that point. 

Despite buying it based on that premise alone, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was in fact a good game. Some of the trophies are a little annoying, and the freeplay events are a grind and a half, but nothing that will cause you too much trouble with the help of a guide. The game itself is a little rough around the edges, and sometimes very clunky, but it has a lot of charm. I would say that it's one of the more interesting PS3 games I've played, and I would happily try it out again if it were to get remastered.

So to answer the question at hand, yes, I say that it's worth playing in 2021, 2022, 2023, [insert specific year]...

• Like 1

Oh yeah, this is one of the games that slipped through the cracks for me.

I remember looking at this game to pick up at one time, but never got around to it and then kind of forgot about it.

Thanks for bringing it back up, I'm off looking for a used copy ?.

On 5/20/2022 at 3:22 PM, Ric said:

Oh yeah, this is one of the games that slipped through the cracks for me.

I remember looking at this game to pick up at one time, but never got around to it and then kind of forgot about it.

Thanks for bringing it back up, I'm off looking for a used copy 1f601.png.

You're very welcome! Happy gaming!

• Like 1

This game was brought to my attention some years back. I ended up buying X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Splatterhouse over The Saboteur due to their rarity. 

This isn’t going to fare any better for us legacy gamers. I’m just glad we can still play these older games on an older console. 

I already bought this game, just waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

On 5/20/2022 at 0:13 PM, Eispan said:

I think this may have something to do with the game's disc, despite looking prestine from the outset - no scratches, marks, dirt or whatever, there's a tendency for the disc game to be somewhat broken as NEVARRA on PST.org discussed - Countryside Glitch?  Basically the left side of Paris was somehow inaccessible for him and no matter what was done - delete game save, resetting/reformatting/reinstalling the PS3 nothing seems to work... UNTIL a different/borrowed copy of the game was used only then did these problem had gone.  The broken copy of the game was also said to be prestine and in good condition.

I got my copy pre-owned but not just recently, probably was in 2010-11, a couple of years later when the game first came out.  So technically not really used or played to death by previous owners.  I kept it in my collections cabinet in its re-sealed case (as what I do to all my games for preservation) since then and ONLY took it out when I started playing it last month.  It still is a clean copy and I cleaned it with water-based wipes and dried it with a proper cotton cloth before playing... and yet it still had some really nasty and broken cutscenes.  Which is why I am now somewhat convinced that the game disc is broken and it is also probably the reason why the previous PS3 died as well - disc reading problems?

There were two broken cutscenes in my copy of the game - Out of the Frying Pan, the cutscene at the end of the prologue where the Nazis invade France for the first time from Saarbrücken. I just let it roll as the cutscene went through all that garbled audio and pixellated CGI scenes and this took a while to finish.

The second one is much more broken as the game would go through the same garbled audio then totally freezes and the closing of the console takes a while before it shuts down completely, but not after letting out multiple beeps.  From The Ashes, the cutscene at the very end of the mission where Sean Devlin wins and crosses the finish line in the Paris Grand Prix.  The SOLUTION for this is to SKIP the cutscene by pressing/spamming :circle: in the hope that the game will recognise this input and immediately take us back into the game.  I nearly bought another copy of this game out of desperation - good thing I tried this SKIP first, should've done this earlier actually.

So yeah having a good copy of the game should also be put into consideration.  I am also kinda thinking that the v4.88 PS3 update we had recently which was meant to stabilise the console may have had issues with this very old game.  Just like our phone's OS, some apps need updating to work well with the new OS update versions, I thought it could be the same with the PS3 as well.  As most of us here claims they had no problems in the past (older PS3 firmware versions) when they played the game. 

I could only guess or hypothesise, it is the only explanation I could think of having played the game now on THREE PS3 consoles - Slim 250, Superslim 500 and a Superslim 12GB all having the same freezing/crashing problems.

In any case I have completed the game a few days ago and got the platinum.  Is it a fun game? YES no doubt about that.  Will I recommend it to anyone in 2022? I don't know what to say really - on one hand I don't want fellow Playstation Legacy players to miss out on this gem... on the other hand I also don't want to be responsible for eventually breaking a console that's rare and no longer in production, especially if they really took good care of their machine.  Folks just have to be mindful of the different experiences of other gamers.  

Posts like this make me feel old.

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

This game was brought to my attention some years back. I ended up buying X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Splatterhouse over The Saboteur due to their rarity. 

This isn’t going to fare any better for us legacy gamers. I’m just glad we can still play these older games on an older console. 

I already bought this game, just waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

Posts like this make me feel old.

I just picked this game up as well, although I did have a copy previously for ages and never got around to playing. Unlikely Splatterhouse, which is very expensive, and Wolverine which is moderately priced, Saboteur is fairly inexpensive. I only paid $15 (Canadian) for a complete like new copy. Definitely worth picking up if you can find a reasonably priced offering.

50 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I just picked this game up as well, although I did have a copy previously for ages and never got around to playing. Unlikely Splatterhouse, which is very expensive, and Wolverine which is moderately priced, Saboteur is fairly inexpensive. I only paid $15 (Canadian) for a complete like new copy. Definitely worth picking up if you can find a reasonably priced offering.

I don't care how old a game is, if I like it then that's all that matters.