Sony Wants to Repair its Relationship With its Indie Partners

Abby_TheLastofUs

11 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Which indies are we talking? Vast majority of em in the store are utter garbage.

Isn't that exactly the problem we're talking about? You don't know the great indies because Sony's store only shows off the garbage.

If you're looking for hidden gems, it'll depend on your genre. A few I've enjoyed though are things like Phantom Doctrine (spy theme quasi xcom), Deathroad to Canada (side scroller beat em up),Void Bastards (Rogue Lite FPS), WarGroove ( Advanced Wars like) and They Are Billions (RTS defense builder).

10 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Isn't that exactly the problem we're talking about? You don't know the great indies because Sony's store only shows off the garbage.

If you're looking for hidden gems, it'll depend on your genre. A few I've enjoyed though are things like Phantom Doctrine (spy theme quasi xcom), Deathroad to Canada (side scroller beat em up),Void Bastards (Rogue Lite FPS), WarGroove ( Advanced Wars like) and They Are Billions (RTS defense builder).

I'm well aware of the great indies and anyone with genuine interest will know as well but my statement remains, majority of em in the store are straight ass let's not pretend there's nothing but gems being released on the indie side. 

The great ones that get praised are well known or even up for pre order so I don't think finding them is an issue or at least not to me personally. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

23 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

I'm well aware of the great indies and anyone with genuine interest will know as well but my statement remains, majority of em in the store are straight ass let's not pretend there's nothing but gems being released on the indie side. 

The great ones that get praised are well known or even up for pre order so I don't think finding them is an issue or at least not to me personally. 

Indies are usually very niche, outside of popular games like Shovel Knight, Transistor, Cuphead and Hollow Knight, they generally only attract a select audience who has a specific interest in a particular genre.

Then of course there are the hidden gems that you may not find just casually browsing the store, especially now that the Sony storefront is absolute shit. I wouldn't even consider the influx of EZ games to be actual quality games, they better resemble shovelware which is just throwing something out there to make a quick buck. Shovelware has always existed in the gaming industry.

These days I find the quality indie games to either be buried under the carpet or a bit overpriced. Meanwhile the garbage we get every week gets several hundred active players playing it. Turns out that business model works, so the quality suffers. Most of what we're getting is shit.

Good to see this thread. The discoverability part has concerned me as it means that people can miss out on small indie games that they might be interested in but don't see on the store. Take for example Light Fairytale Episode 2. I check the store for new releases when it updates but I found out the game came out on here through the new trophy lists list on the home screen. I then checked the Playstation store and could not find it in new releases or ordering PS4 games newest to oldest. Searching the game by name was the only way I could make it show up. 

21 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

These days I find the quality indie games to either be buried under the carpet or a bit overpriced. Meanwhile the garbage we get every week gets several hundred active players playing it. Turns out that business model works, so the quality suffers. Most of what we're getting is shit.

Disagree with your last statement, there's quality and garbage on both sides it's just up to you to look for the quality ones. I play a mix of both and have no problem finding stuff to enjoy whether triple a or indie. 

I might be generalizing but most gamers and especially trophy hunters don't really care about indies to the point where they're willing to support day one even with the lower price point. Could Sony do a better job at giving some of em spotlight? Sure but I doubt that will have any major impact if not enough people buy the game in the first place. The reality is that not every smaller scale game that is of quality or has good ideas will succeed in such a massive market. I know of many obscure indies with low player count and 9 times out of 10 I'd say it's a result of gamers not being interested enough rather than some sort of bad advertising. 

There was a time when Sony would give lesser known indie titles that were actually quite good on ps plus but that didn't last very long and It ain't too far fetched to assume it's probably cause of the overall reception from gamers whenever those lineups were announced. Even now with mostly bigger games being given on plus people are still complaining so just imagine the outcry when your monthly lineup is something like downwell or bound ?.

I see the point you're making @DrBloodmoney and agree with most of it except for part about discoverability for the reasons I mentioned above. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t even look at the PS Store at all now. Lol, them ditching a good webstore for the trash fire that it has become that only exists to support PS5 can suck it. And it’s even worse on the PS5 itself. The PS4 store looks like a magical unicorn who cures all and can grant you infinite wishes. I don’t know how you just keep getting worse. PS4 store sucked in beta on PS3, sucked on PS4 too. Go figure, now I don’t know wtf they’re trying to do with the store now. And ffs, I know I mentioned it already but why the hell is the webstore so fucking useless? 

And Logan, White, and Those Awesome Guys project manager Cristian Botea all say they had been invited to more sales recently. That said, both Logan and White add that it’s still frustrating to have to be invited to discount their games by Sony, rather than having the option themselves at any time like they can on other platforms. For example, Logan mentioned that Akupara recently held a 5th anniversary sale across several platforms, and while they “would have loved” to also discount their games on PlayStation, they were unable to do so.

When I first learned this I couldn’t believe it. It’s such a god awful way to do business. I thought that it was that Sony would ask if you wanted to partake in some themed sale, but otherwise you could do what you want with your games. Nope. Makes no fucking sense. 

maybe indies could do better if they could sell their PS3 games on a sale… but there’s no good way to buy them now thanks to the trash heap webstore only servicing PS5 (PS4 is just a byproduct, they don’t care about it). And maybe people would buy more PS3 games if PS5 had b/c with them… idk if it’s strong enough, but if the PS6 isn’t then wtf are you doing. I just want to play all my ps games on one system. How hard is that? PS3 could play PSone and PS2 what’s the excuse for 4 and 5? 

I digress. There’s a lot of things that end up playing into the indie issues and consumer issues. 

I used to browse the store every day, now I never bother and buy most games on PC (Steam mostly) now. GG Sony. Winning strategy, alienating everybody.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, Elvick_ said:

When I first learned this I couldn’t believe it. It’s such a god awful way to do business. I thought that it was that Sony would ask if you wanted to partake in some themed sale, but otherwise you could do what you want with your games. Nope. Makes no fucking sense. 

maybe indies could do better if they could sell their PS3 games on a sale… but there’s no good way to buy them now thanks to the trash heap webstore only servicing PS5 (PS4 is just a byproduct, they don’t care about it). And maybe people would buy more PS3 games if PS5 had b/c with them… idk if it’s strong enough, but if the PS6 isn’t then wtf are you doing. I just want to play all my ps games on one system. How hard is that? PS3 could play PSone and PS2 what’s the excuse for 4 and 5? 

I digress. There’s a lot of things that end up playing into the indie issues and consumer issues. 

I used to browse the store every day, now I never bother and buy most games on PC (Steam mostly) now. GG Sony. Winning strategy, alienating everybody.

This is what I want as well. As much as I hate Microsoft now, their consoles allow actual backwards compatibility which means you can still play that old game from a decade ago that nobody cares about anymore. The PC is of course, the undisputed king when it comes to accessing and playing the classics. I despise Nintendo now because of them cashing in on peoples nostalgia on 1990s era video games that have a subscription fee attached to them. So basically, you're paying them money for games that you were already able to play on an emulator, at least you actually were able to until Nintendo started shutting down all of those big ROM websites. The expansion deal they have is a big scam. But hey, at least you can still play those old games.

Sony is unfortunately literally at rock bottom when it comes to providing any sort of backwards compatibility. You can play PS4 games on your PS5 console sure, but meh.

when an indie game is not on PSN, the only ones losing financially are the indie devs, no PlaySttaion console has ever been sold because of an indie game, so I don't see what Sony has to repair, if anything, indie games should get on Sony's program faster

23 minutes ago, RedTitan_RedKing said:

...no PlaySttaion console has ever been sold because of an indie game...

I personally know 2 different people who bought a PS5 specifically to play Returnal. I'm sure they will play/ have played other stuff too, but Returnal was certainly the primary selling point and the game that swayed it for them.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

I personally know 2 different people who bought a PS5 specifically to play Returnal. I'm sure they will play/ have played other stuff too, but Returnal was certainly the primary selling point and the game that swayed it for them.

cool, let me know what indie games those two guys bought a PS5 for

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Housemarque were only bought after Returnal was released. At the time of its development and release, Housemarque were an independent studio.

an independent studio making a game OWNED, FUNDED, MARKETED and development assisted by a multi dozen billion $ company, the definition of an indie game

Edited by RedTitan_RedKing
  • Like 2

They should. There are too many games that haven't been released on PlayStation. Touhou Luna Nights, Gato Roboto, Kunai, Vigil: The Longest Night, Roah, Cathedral... all games that are on the Switch, and some even on Xbox. And those are merely off the top of my head. There is obviously a problem when games aren't being released on the platform that sold the most.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:28 PM, HusKy said:

They seem to have good relationships with shovelware publishers at least.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:47 PM, OpenScars said:

Isn't PSN just FULL of indie games? Every sale is 99% indie rubbish amongst some decent ones.

Exactly my thoughts, i must be missing something as lot's of the steam indie shovelware on Sony ~_~;

Edited by Nelson_

On 12/15/2021 at 0:23 AM, DEI2EK said:

How about repairing their relationship with Japan and Japanese devs instead of bullying them into self censorship

Too much time passed already lol while most already moved on, i think Sony have run out of lies/excuses to even try ?

With the amount of shovelware this days Sony is more like "Hypocrisy has no limits"

Edited by Nelson_

On 12/15/2021 at 3:00 AM, AJ_Radio said:

The only stuff that really appeals to me is games like Elden Ring. Looking at Ubisoft, EA, and Activision, their library just feels meh.

Activision lately is all about Call of Duty, and little else. Only occasionally does a title in that series get my attention. I skipped Vanguard, because I'm burned out on WWII themes. I'd rather have something like Advanced or Infinite Warfare again, but I doubt we'll be seeing that. I'm surprised they actually released a Black Ops title lately. It's a shame that Sekiro (give all best regards to From Software) didn't have another publisher... Bandai Namco deserved Sekiro more.

EA's surely not the best, but they've been worse. Their saving grace at this time is the recent revival Mass Effect on current gen systems, and I'm considering their Jedi Fallen Order.

Bethesda's selling out to Microsoft can't be a good thing. Something bad will come of it sooner or later, I'm sure. Not having id Software's later releases on a PS system is one possible repercussion.

On 12/18/2021 at 0:39 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Indies are usually very niche, outside of popular games like Shovel Knight, Transistor, Cuphead and Hollow Knight, they generally only attract a select audience who has a specific interest in a particular genre.

Then of course there are the hidden gems that you may not find just casually browsing the store, especially now that the Sony storefront is absolute shit. I wouldn't even consider the influx of EZ games to be actual quality games, they better resemble shovelware which is just throwing something out there to make a quick buck. Shovelware has always existed in the gaming industry.

Shovelware is like a pandemic, they all started on exactly same time as funny that may sound.

22 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Activision lately is all about Call of Duty, and little else. Only occasionally does a title in that series get my attention. I skipped Vanguard, because I'm burned out on WWII themes. I'd rather have something like Advanced or Infinite Warfare again, but I doubt we'll be seeing that. I'm surprised they actually released a Black Ops title lately. It's a shame that Sekiro (give all best regards to From Software) didn't have another publisher... Bandai Namco deserved Sekiro more.

EA's surely not the best, but they've been worse. Their saving grace at this time is the recent revival Mass Effect on current gen systems, and I'm considering their Jedi Fallen Order.

Bethesda's selling out to Microsoft can't be a good thing. Something bad will come of it sooner or later, I'm sure. Not having id Software's later releases on a PS system is one possible repercussion.

They published a lot of superhero stuff. Then most of it, including Deadpool and Transformers: Devastation, got pulled from the online store. Only way to buy them is by getting the physical disks. 

Guess they didn't sell all too well, hence why they're delisted.

1 hour ago, Nelson_ said:

Shovelware is like a pandemic, they all started on exactly same time as funny that may sound.

And people are defending a lot of shovelware, which continues to disgust me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

They published a lot of superhero stuff. Then most of it, including Deadpool and Transformers: Devastation, got pulled from the online store. Only way to buy them is by getting the physical disks. 

Guess they didn't sell all too well, hence why they're delisted.

No, that's not how delisting works.

Those games were delisted because of Activision's licenses for those franchises expiring.