Any future JRPGs for PS5?

Alantor32

Unless the PS5 ends up being another PS3, there'll definitely be quite the selection of JRPGs on PS5 later on. And the chance of it being another PS3 situation is slim, there were a lot of factors that played into that, such as Japan kinda taking a while to adapt to the HD era, cost of development going through the roof, etc. It's not unusual for Japan to take some time fully adopting a new generation, so I expect to still see JRPGs releasing for PS4, and only PS4, well into 2024, and most likely a few years beyond that. But there'll almost definitely be some PS5 exclusive JRPGs also releasing in that time frame, most likely from the bigger budget studios and developers like Square Enix and Bamco.

In conclusion, I wouldn't worry about it. And we're generally getting more JRPGs localised in the west than ever before since the Western market for them has grown a lot since the PS3 era, even if some do seemingly take 800 years to release here (coughKisekicough).

• Like 1

I'd count Kuro no Kiseki as a PS5 game. Though Falcom made PS4 its lead platform, you're going to be better off playing it on PS5. From what I heard, PS4 and PS4 Pro's performance is a little squirrelly with some frame rate dips. PS5 should be able to stay at the 60 FPS cap. Not in the near future though... I guess with 2023 for Reverie/Hajimari, we'll have the western version of KnK in 2024.

For something available now, Ys IX is at its best on a PS5. Even the PS4 Pro has a little trouble with it in the city areas. From what I've watched on YT, PS5 runs it at 4K in 60 FPS without fail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cckerberos said:

I'm confused by this. There were a ton of JRPGs on the PS3.

Same. The PlayStation 3 had the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Persona 5, Star Ocean Ocean: The Last Hope International, Tales of Xillia/Arise/Graces, and even lesser known fare like Last Rebellion and the Penny Arcade JRPGs.

As for PS5 JRPGs, I would bet all my money on the fact that Dragon Quest XII will see a PlayStation 5 release.

• Like 1

theres going to be Kuro No Kiseki, Star Ocean 6 Divine Force,  FF16, Dragon Quest 12, Monark, Granblue Fantasy ReLink, Eiyuden Chronicle, 

plus i wouldn't count out another Atelier game.

Also add in Ff Remake 2 if Square Enix actually gets off their ass and releases it this console generation (i expect it 2025).

So yeah, thats a decent amount. There are much much more coming im sure

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cckerberos said:

Don't be, Ps3 gen is very well known for seriously lacking in term of JRPGs.

Same. The PlayStation 3 had the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Persona 5, Star Ocean Ocean: The Last Hope International, Tales of Xillia/Arise/Graces, and even lesser known fare like Last Rebellion and the Penny Arcade JRPGs.

From what you've post most of them were forgettable (Tales of Zestiria/ Xillia 1-2 / Ni no Kuni / FF13/2 in mind) and only Valkyria Chronicles (remastered later), P5 (Ps4 too), Graces f and (a bit too late) Cold Steel 1 and 2 (remastered too) save the day.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cckerberos said:

There were a decent amount, but compared to the PS1 and PS2 that came before it, it was very much lacking. Not to mention it also didn't really have a ton of stand out titles like those previous generations did either. Plus, a sizeable chunk of the JRPGs on PS3 were multiplat or ports from other systems, it didn't have many exclusives.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

• 2 weeks later...