Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

Well, that was fast, LOL

Microsoft says Xbox has ‘lost the console wars’

The FTC vs. Microsoft case is starting this morning and Microsoft is keen to show Xbox is in third place.

“Xbox has lost the console wars, and its rivals are positioned to continue to dominate” argues Microsoft in a filing today.

It also reveals Xbox had 16 percent share of console sales in 2021 and 21 percent of console install base.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/22/23769761/microsoft-says-xbox-has-lost-the-console-wars

Edited by ziggypossum
FIXED

I have to say MS gave the FTC plenty of ammo. In court, Bethesda admitted their Indiana Jones game was going to be multiplatform until Microsoft bought them, then it became XBox only. Well, at least they were honest about it...unlike Redfall, where they tried to lie about it. 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/indiana-jones-game-xbox-exclusive-ps5-playstation/

• Like 3

The single biggest issue I have regarding this is how somebody with Gate's background think it's alright wanting to demolish other companies decade after decade and as long as you can get away with it, it's perfectly fine.

I don't even want to know the thought process behind how you can go from the supposedly humble background of developing your company from a garage - as often being brought up - to buying up everything in your path just because you can.

I would like to think he ought to have a little more humility than that but perhaps I'm just thinking out loud as usual?

In any real market, you need serious competition for it to thrive and that is not merely for the customer's sake necessarily, but for any company in general - you don't develop as you should when all that's needed is wavering a check in somebody's face.

One thing is for certain though. If Gates ever succeed in destroying Sony and make Xbox the only real contender to Nintendo, it will definitely cure my gaming addiction once and for all. There's simply no chance in hell that I'll migrate alive to that lizard's dream of unconditional submission.?

Edited by Mellenthin
  • Like 1

Is it just me or does anyone else take it as a kind of personal attack that Xbox have planned to take Sony out all together and maliciously purchased publishers and gaming companies to starve off Sonys revenue. I kinda feel them trying to take away my main gaming source is a bit of an attack and hate them for it now. Kinda hope Sony kick into overdrive now and destroy MS as we know Sony can with quality and start being customer focused again. Screw you Matt Booty, Phil Spencer and Xbox as a whole.

Think they are gonna lose a few Gamepass subs in protest.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I have to say MS gave the FTC plenty of ammo. In court, Bethesda admitted their Indiana Jones game was going to be multiplatform until Microsoft bought them, then it became XBox only. Well, at least they were honest about it...unlike Redfall, where they tried to lie about it. 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/indiana-jones-game-xbox-exclusive-ps5-playstation/

Son of a bitch is that new that indiana jones is xbox exclusive I've been looking forward to that 

17 minutes ago, The_Jigsaw_Cult said:

Is it just me or does anyone else take it as a kind of personal attack that Xbox have planned to take Sony out all together and maliciously purchased publishers and gaming companies to starve off Sonys revenue. I kinda feel them trying to take away my main gaming source is a bit of an attack and hate them for it now. Kinda hope Sony kick into overdrive now and destroy MS as we know Sony can with quality and start being customer focused again. Screw you Matt Booty, Phil Spencer and Xbox as a whole.

Think they are gonna lose a few Gamepass subs in protest.

Honestly... kinda? I mean, if I end up playing Starfield on PC or any other Xbox Game Studios release it will be by torrenting it. I know it's not personal but I just can't be arsed to give money to a company that is worsening my gaming experience.

12 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

Honestly... kinda? I mean, if I end up playing Starfield on PC or any other Xbox Game Studios release it will be by torrenting it. I know it's not personal but I just can't be arsed to give money to a company that is worsening my gaming experience.

Yeah that’s how I’m feeling too. Like it’s another big company trying to buy out little guys just because they can. MS don’t make quality games so a smaller company like Sony absolutely killing them in quality and being so much better in every facet would have been deeply embarrassing for them so they decided to throw their money around. They are getting what the deserve I hope.

Jim Ryan once said in an e-mail the XBox/Activision deal isn't really about exclusives. 

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/06/22/sie-ceo-jim-ryan-xbox-activision-deal-isnt-about-exclusives/

MS has been crowing about this, but considering they've been buying up companies in an attempt to drive PlayStation out of business, don't think they really have the moral high ground here and don't see this as nearly as damning. Still, there's still a couple days left in this hearing and there's gonna be a LOT said, so we can't focus too much on one piece.

Edited by MidnightDragon

21 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Jim Ryan once said in an e-mail the XBox/Activision deal isn't really about exclusives. 

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/06/22/sie-ceo-jim-ryan-xbox-activision-deal-isnt-about-exclusives/

MS has been crowing about this, but considering they've been buying up companies in an attempt to drive PlayStation out of business, don't think they really have the moral high ground here and don't see this as nearly as damning. Still, there's still a couple days left in this hearing and there's gonna be a LOT said, so we can't focus too much on one piece.

That's not very complicated.  Jim said he believes it'll remain on ps "for years to come".  I take that to mean a minimum of 10years worst case scenario?  Plus he said he's "pretty sure"

Not very damning imo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

That's not very complicated.  Jim said he believes it'll remain on ps "for years to come".  I take that to mean a minimum of 10years worst case scenario?  Plus he said he's "pretty sure"

Not very damning imo

Yea, but MS of course is using it to say "they want to hurt us, woe is us, have pity on us, we really want what's best for our wallets...er, I mean gamers"...morons. I did say "not nearly as damning". 

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Yea, but MS of course is using it to say "they want to hurt us, woe is us, have pity on us, we really want what's best for our wallets...er, I mean gamers"...morons. I did say "not nearly as damning". 

His private emails aren't too dissimilar from his public statements, so yeah... MS xbots are idiots.

Worst he said was he'd prefer the merger not happen (because duh), but he thinks they'll be OK and that business from a degraded CoD may not fully recover, but it's not going to (by itself) destroy PS

If MS can have it's "thought experiment/old tactic" then I'm pretty sure Jim can have his personal opinion and the "what's best for the company" line

Is it possible the regulators can force MS to divest Bethesda at this point? Since apparently it's ruining their business 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgm4789 said:

Lol, Its literally the opposite of what was true since all we have been getting from bethesda since deathloop and ghostwire is fallout 76 and eso expansions and maybe if were lucky we might get the quake 2 remaster.

I'm not even sure we should count deathloop & ghostwire if Bethesda approached Sony to make them timed exclusives.  They were essentially locked into a binding contract that MS is trying to take credit for.

Instead we lost redfall, Starfield, elder scrolls and Indiana Jones so far

So it just hit me: Did Bethesda tell Disney they were making the Indiana Jones Game a console exclusive instead of multiplatform like they agreed? Because Disney loves money and if they told them, they needed to convinced hard that they would get that money back from one console plus PC.

If they didn't and this is how Disney found out that one of the games of a series they wanted to reboot was gonna be on just one console plus PC then I feel bad for what ever legal team has to deal with that mess.

Edited by setobox

43 minutes ago, setobox said:

So it just hit me: Did Bethesda tell Disney they were making the Indiana Jones Game a console exclusive instead of multiplatform like they agreed? Because Disney loves money and if they told them, they needed to convinced hard that they would get that money back from one console plus PC.

If they didn't and this is how Disney found out that one of the games of a series they wanted to reboot was gonna be on just one console plus PC then I feel bad for what ever legal team has to deal with that mess.

They renegotiated. Disney is fully aware and onboard.

1 hour ago, setobox said:

I doubt Disney really cares about exclusivity because otherwise Sony would have to make an Xbox port of Spider-Man 

5 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Just gotta say this: when a company says they "expect" to do something, it's corporate weasel words because it promises nothing.  I can expect a million dollars tomorrow, doesn't mean it's gonna happen

Sounds like MS only decided to buy Bethesda to keep Starfield from being a timed exclusive at best. I’m not shocked they would stoop that low, but shows another reason they’re scum. Seems like Phil was getting pissed during the questioning. Not so fun to not get what you want on a silver platter, eh, Philly? 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

Does anyone have insight into how microsoft buying activision will affect trophy hunting? I love crash bandicoot and wanna finish the trophies for it but am curious if that won't be possible soon. I have a physical copy of the game too, I would hope I'd still be able to play it.

Let me know what you think :)

@Rozalia1

Unlike last time where I shared the video... I won't do so this time but I'm just letting you know now... that YongYea put out another video that, despite him saying he 'doesn't have a horse in this race' and 'doesn't care what happens' seemed very pro-Xbox and pro-acquisition by sharing the news about Starfield possibly being PS5 exclusive so Xbox responded by buying the entire company

• Like 3

On 23/6/2023 at 8:37 PM, AJ_-_808 said:

I'm not even sure we should count deathloop & ghostwire if Bethesda approached Sony to make them timed exclusives.  They were essentially locked into a binding contract that MS is trying to take credit for.

Instead we lost redfall, Starfield, elder scrolls and Indiana Jones so far

I think Phil Spencer said he's not 100% sure about total exclusivity as the game is very far from release. He's a childish phony, anyway.

13 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

the news about Starfield possibly being PS5 exclusive so Xbox responded by buying the entire company

My God that story is ridiculous even if it's true.

17 hours ago, JesseJazzy said:

Does anyone have insight into how microsoft buying activision will affect trophy hunting? I love crash bandicoot and wanna finish the trophies for it but am curious if that won't be possible soon. I have a physical copy of the game too, I would hope I'd still be able to play it.

That game (Team Rumble, right?) is here to stay no matter the platform. Same for Diablo 4 and its future support.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JesseJazzy said:

Why would that change anything? If you mean for server closures for the new game I seriously doubt that will happen anytime soon, it just came out, but entire trophy lists for previously released games aren’t going to be withdrawn just because a new company takes over the game series. Highly, highly, highly unlikely.