Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

22 hours ago, Black_Zombie1313 said:

Square Enix in a statement I found today “Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on Xbox as soon as May 29th, 2024. ” But not on console. It would be a Windows 10/11 version and a GamePass PC version. 

Do you gave a source for this? I can only find news that it's just a PS5 exclusive for 3 months. I don't see anything that says it's not on Xbox. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Black_Zombie1313 said:

And so it starts. 

A Microsoft document has confirmed The Elder Scrolls 6 will skip PS5 in favour of launching on Xbox and PC only.

Source? Not that I disbelieve (though I suspect it’s more likely to be skipping PS6 or even 7, given Bethesda’s typical development time), just curious.

Just now, Viper said:

Do you gave a source for this? I can only find news that it's just a PS5 exclusive for 3 months. I don't see anything that says it's not on Xbox. 

Same. All the Xbots on X are cackling, swearing that they’re going to get it after 90 days… but nothing concrete other than that’s how long the timed exclusivity lasts, which doesn’t automatically mean the game will appear at that point (or at all.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Black_Zombie1313 said:

And so it starts. 

A Microsoft document has confirmed The Elder Scrolls 6 will skip PS5 in favour of launching on Xbox and PC only.

hasn't everyone know that for years

12 minutes ago, Ashande said:

Source? Not that I disbelieve (though I suspect it’s more likely to be skipping PS6 or even 7, given Bethesda’s typical development time), just curious.

Same. All the Xbots on X are cackling, swearing that they’re going to get it after 90 days… but nothing concrete other than that’s how long the timed exclusivity lasts, which doesn’t automatically mean the game will appear at that point (or at all.)

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/09/if-it-wasnt-obvious-the-elder-scrolls-6-will-skip-playstation

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, fenrir54565 said:

Thank you. Still think it’s blue-skying to think Elder Scrolls VI will make it out this generation, but I guess we’ll see how it washes out. Still likely to be Xbox exclusive regardless, and no one should be surprised by that.

23 minutes ago, Black_Zombie1313 said:

Right. I see a whole lot of “could happens,” and “might means” in there, as well as everywhere else I see this information posted. The only ones I see saying it with certainty are console warriors who seem genetically programmed to lack reading comprehension and honesty. I guess time will tell and we’ll see, but until I see it confirmed by someone who actually works for Square or Xbox, keeping my big ol’ X to doubt sticker on it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ashande said:

Right. I see a whole lot of “could happens,” and “might means” in there, as well as everywhere else I see this information posted. The only ones I see saying it with certainty are console warriors who seem genetically programmed to lack reading comprehension and honesty. I guess time will tell and we’ll see, but until I see it confirmed by someone who actually works for Square or Xbox, keeping my big ol’ X to doubt sticker on it.

Wouldn't that be something if the Sony/Square acquisition rumors came to be true

• Like 1

It is not impossible, but keep this in mind. FF16 they said could release earlier on PC than required, but will come later as they need more time to work on that version. Yet the Xbox version, which is plagued with issues due to the existence of the Xbox Series S, will come out on the dot after 90 days?

Ultimately, this is the usual nonsense from the Microsoft machine spread by their influencers who if they don't pay directly, certainly give gift after gift to which results in the same thing. That isn't to say that the game won't make it to Xbox though. From what we know Rebirth will get a double pack release with the 1st Remake game, and that would make sense to release on Xbox as they never got the first game. Considering how PR focused and wasteful with money Spencer is, Square Enix can likely milk money mark Microsoft for a lot of money to simply release the games on Xbox. Then Microsoft either commits to continuing to pay Square Enix going forward or they will act shocked when Square Enix later askes for them to pay for all the other game releases they do too, and the 'new relationship' crumbles like it did last time.

As for Elder Scrolls. Obviously it was going to be an exclusive. It was Xbox fans, real or otherwise, who now are saying that it was always obvious (as they do with a lot of things) who were making it out that there was a chance that it wouldn't be. 'Case by case basis' remember. Spencer put that out there and his agents went to work doing damage control. At the time I, and many others, stated what a pointless term that was. Nintendo when deciding if they'll put their games on PlayStation do it on a 'case by case basis' too. The answer is just always no. We don't get weirdos saying that there is a chance that Nintendo will totally put Zelda on PlayStation, but with Microsoft we do get those weirdos because they (Microsoft) always have to be playing these pointless games that win them absolutely nothing. The other way to look at 'case by case basis' and their agents might well fall back on this, perhaps Spencer himself even 'clarifying', is that they meant Xbox One/Series S|X/Xbox Two 180 Scope Version 0.72 Windows Gold Mountain Dew Turbo Max Power Fridge.

• Like 1

looks like Microsoft wanted to buy warner bother and they are still trying to force Nintendo to sale to them by having there former ms-bod members buy up all the shares.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/09/xbox-almost-flashed-its-cash-at-warner-bros-sees-nintendo-as-the-holy-grail

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil-spencer-wants-to-buy-nintendo-i-honestly-believe-a-good-move-for-both-companies.1661241/

Microsoft too braindead to make something for themself they have to buy up everything and force you to use them otherwise no one ever would.

spacer.png

Edited by fenrir54565
  • Like 2

@fenrir54565 The leaks are so big I had to make a thread for it: 

There are no limits to Microsoft's depraved desire to buy out the gaming industry. Forget even major publishers, they'll buy out entire platforms if only they become willing to sell. Just completely indefensible. What an ugly future for gaming it would be to have Microsoft, a company devoid of taste/soul/heart, as it's overlord. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Wouldn't that be something if the Sony/Square acquisition rumors came to be true

Really doubtful that will happen thanks to SE's relationship with Nintendo. They do a lot of timed exclusives there as well, some that have never come to either Playstation or X-box......heck, the upcoming Mario RPG was developed by SE.

47 minutes ago, giantturnip said:

Really doubtful that will happen thanks to SE's relationship with Nintendo. They do a lot of timed exclusives there as well, some that have never come to either Playstation or X-box......heck, the upcoming Mario RPG was developed by SE.

SE relationship with Nintendo isn't that big of a hinderance. Sony owns Aniplex and they make Switch games with no issues.

• Like 1

CMA Approves of Deal Changes "

However, Microsoft isn't completely in the clear yet. The CMA still had some reservations that "certain provisions in the sale of Activision’s cloud streaming rights to Ubisoft could be circumvented, terminated, or not enforced". In response, Microsoft has "offered remedies to ensure that the terms of the sale of Activision’s rights to Ubisoft are enforceable by the CMA".

In what seems to be the final steps, the CMA has begun two consultations — one to test the aforementioned remedies about its last few concerns, and another to make an overall decision on whether to approve the deal. The deadline on both of these is 6th October 2023.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/09/microsoft-one-step-closer-to-activision-buyout-as-cma-approves-of-deal-changes#comments

emails makes it clear that microsoft wants to buy up everything and spend sony out of out of business regulators nothing concerning here carry on. the worst part of this nearly being over is it means microsoft will start going after its next acquisition to create its monopoly and destroy gaming. 

Edited by fenrir54565

https://twitter.com/CMAgovUK/status/1705103241078292637?s=20

Update: new #Microsoft / #Activision deal addresses previous CMA concerns in cloud gaming.

Should be all stitched up now, short of FTC being able to somehow overcome corruption in America which is about as fantastical as it gets. On one hand, that is a lot of money makers for Xbox to get... but we'll see if they can maintain it. I have a feeling, considering how they want and need Game Pass to be 100+ million by the end of this generation, that many on the Microsoft board likely don't have good feelings over this. They blew all that reputation and influence over gaming (looked down within Microsoft) and chances are it won't save Game Pass anyway, meaning they'll possibly have to sell it at a 50+% loss down the line.

1 hour ago, fenrir54565 said:

emails makes it clear that microsoft wants to buy up everything and spend sony out of out of business regulators nothing concerning here carry on. the worst part of this nearly being over is it means microsoft will start going after its next acquisition to create its monopoly and destroy gaming. 

The judge who ruled in favour of Microsoft saw all of that. It simply doesn't matter that Microsoft not only wants to spend the competition out of business, but they also want to lock out any possible new competition. For someone else perhaps, but when you're so connected/corrupt like Microsoft is to the point that the rest of Big Tech combined look like boy scouts next to you? You get away with things. The only thing in question is if Microsoft will take this extra trouble as a time to back off, or take it as a sign they indeed can do whatever they want and so should continue as they are, sending perhaps EA a message next on buying them out.

A shame. Gaming has been able to keep these sort of things at bay for so long, but with Microsoft present it was always a matter of time. Microsoft's agents love to point to Apple, Google, Amazon, the Saudis, the Chinese, and so forth, but Microsoft is worse than all of them when it comes to being poison in gaming.

• Like 1

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1533808.html

--I think Xbox Game Pass is a really great subscription service overall, but as a user, I'm scared of the price hike. Will future price increases be unavoidable or not? I'd like to hear your thoughts on prices.

Phil Spencer: Thank you for saying that. First, we always want to give you options in how you build your library. You can subscribe to Game Pass and play, or you can purchase the game. Currently, millions of users have subscribed to Xbox Game Pass, and many of them are satisfied with using it.Although the main premise is to provide more value, the price is I think it is inevitable that it will rise in the future. We recently raised our prices once, but the decision was made after careful consideration. We believe it is important to provide services that are recognized as being of sufficient value even if prices are increased.

During this process Spencer has been saying that there won't be any price increases as a result of the acquisition. Now that they feel it is all stitched up, they now have to make sure that the price matches the service provided. The usual from Spencer.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

As expected, the flood gates are fully open now, and I do wonder how long they wait for the next one. I would imagine it would not be straight away, but this is Microsoft they might just see it as they're unstoppable now this deal has been passed and nobody is safe except those that do not want to sell. This will not be better for the gaming industry, you cannot just have ONE big powerhouse with unlimited money, as the quality of games will suffer.

• Like 1

The FTC may be toothless, but Lina Khan is refusing to go down. 

The usual is to be expected. 'Wasting taxpayers money' it'll be said, which is odd considering Microsoft/Activision certainly don't seem to care all that much about paying what they should really be paying on their taxes. Beyond that something to look out for is for deflection. Amazon is being moved on by the FTC too, so expect those defending Microsoft to back that as a show of 'being against big business'. They'll also point out Apple/Google and their mobile duopoly as what the FTC should really be going after. Microsoft though? There is no case, the law is the law, whatever. Ignoring of course that if that is the case for Microsoft, then it is the case for Apple/Google, and yet they don't make those excuses for Apple/Google.

• Like 1

i keep changing my mind on posting in this thread or not

Me being weird aside I wanted to post this in here. It's kind of irrelevant and off-topic in a way but also relevant too. At least in the sense that I still honestly and fully believe that Sony and PlayStation will respond to this in some, way, shape or form with an acquisition of their own if not before the end of this year then next year for sure.

So apparently Square Enix has lost 2 billion in value since FFXVI's release. Now obviously... IGN are clickbaity here. Because it's not FFXVI's fault and I don't want to here any BS that it is. It's moreso Forspoken and Avengers fault. Not only that... they aren't doing so well with their mobile games either. The point that I guess I'm trying to make here is... remember when I initially said that Square Enix are the most likely acquisition target? This seems to confirm that. They would probably be the most willing to be acquired by someone. Sony or Microsoft unfortunately.

Look... I'm not saying it's going to happen okay? I'm not. I'm not saying I want it to happen. I'm just saying with this news... it just feels like they would probably be the most willing to be acquired right now.

Then again... they have also done an extreme hard u-turn when it comes to their PlayStation exclusivity recently with FF7 Rebirth only have a three month exclusivity period on PS5. Obviously that doesn't mean it'll go to Xbox but it's... weird and interesting considering they are also claiming each FF7 Remake title is a 'standalone experience' and that you 'don't need to play the other games' to enjoy them and will even have a 'recap movie' to get you caught up (FF7 Rebirth at least though I'm expecting the same to happen in FF7 Remake Part 3 with a Rebirth recap movie)

If you put a gun to my head though and made me choose who I would rather have them be acquired by... it's definitely Sony/PlayStation. All of my no for Microsoft.

All I'm really saying with this post is this is something to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

I'd imagine that Microsoft is giving Square a lot of money in a push to get more of the latter's games on the former's consoles and other supported platforms (that Square's games generally aren't very successful on to begin with, hence why they're only just now starting to put more games on them), as they'd expect this to give them a bit more footing in the Japanese market (and if they go the acquisition route, it'd be yet another means of taking away something from Sony/PlayStation that they have a long and rich history with just to be extra spiteful). However, Square being in such a large hole of their own making probably doesn't help much either in regards to their desperation of trying to pull themselves out of said hole, but I'd imagine they'd be more willing to sell to Sony if they had to choose simply because restricting their games to Microsoft platforms would more than likely only hurt them that much more. Only time will tell, though, and there's also the Japanese government to consider on top of it all (oh, and Nintendo as well, which is another really big factor to consider in all of this). Plus, Square's proven themselves not to be very bright in recent years either, so...

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

I would expect if Square gets in a vulnerable position due to losses, rather than acquire the company and all the red tape and regulatory headaches that would entail, Sony would do what they did last time that happened (in 2001) and buy a large, but not controlling, stake in them to protect their flank and free up development capital for the company until they can get back on their feet again.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 3