Worth Playing?

DrBloodmoney

Hey, saw this is now free, bearing in mind that I thought the original games were total poop, how is this one?

I've heard good things, but don't know whether the people who like it are fans of the series, or just like this one. Would a paerson who liked Bayonetta but hated the old DMC games like it?

Yes. The combat is excellent. Not to mention the combo system.

But if you play the previous Devil May Cry, you will be very disappointed.

Why? I played the original Devil May Cry series and loved them and I still enjoy the reboot too. They play different but they're both fun. 

To the OP, if you're interested in the game why not go ahead and download it and give it a try? The combat isn't too similar to Bayonetta but it is still very fun and you can't go wrong for the low price of free. 

Parker

• Like 2

I played all 5 Devil May Cry games and I thought DmC had very fun gameplay. Only complaint was the controls were modified in the reboot and the lack of lock on was awkward at first.

I think you mean lack of controlled lock-on. There is a lockon but it is more automated with line of sight in relation to the character's position and which combat moves you utilize. (from the little I have played so far)

Edited by Technatorium
  • Like 1

The gameplay is great, but in terms of story and lenght it falls IMO. It's a fun game, with excellent gameplay and combat system, the combos you can do are insane but that's it for me, I was kinda dissapointed, but if you hated the first 4 games, I don't know maybe you can try the demo first.

For free, yes.  And yes, you might like it if you didn't like the original DMC, it's a whole lot more easier (if that is your reason for not liking the original, if not, probably avoid this) but not as good and well polished as Bayonetta was.  I did a review of it on here, I give it a 5, it wasn't a bad game but had a very average feel to it, hopefully it helps with your decision.

• Like 1

Why'd not like the old DMCs? Too hard? Too "bare bones"? Bad controls?

As for the reboot... well, duh? It's free, isn't it? ...  :|

This one is incredibly easy compared to the old ones, extremely easy plat since you have so many weapons at your disposal, getting SSSensational ranks and SSS on missions is a piece of cake, i almost SSS'd everything on my 1st run, didn't because you can't get all collectibles on your 1st walktrough.

Bear in mind you have to finish the game a few times, so it might be a bit tedious for you since you think the old DMCs are poopy, and if by old DMCs you mean DMC3 then you'll hate this game, it tries sooooo hard to be like DMC3.

Why? I played the original Devil May Cry series and loved them and I still enjoy the reboot too. They play different but they're both fun. 

To the OP, if you're interested in the game why not go ahead and download it and give it a try? The combat isn't too similar to Bayonetta but it is still very fun and you can't go wrong for the low price of free. 

Parker

You know those fans who hate change? Yup. I'm one of them when it comes to Dante's personality (not haircut, though  ;) ).

The game IS fun, yes, but it doesn't have that old DMC charm, Dante is not a badass anymore, he's just... a random teenager who think he's cool, getting SSS ranks in combat is extremely easy, DMD is just... DMC2 DMD, it's that easy.  :hmm:

I bet the only character the fans liked in this reboot was Vergil, he basically stole the show for me, he's still the same DMC3 Vergil, just plain badass... know what i mean? You don't need to be cocky to look and sound badass.

But i admit... the controls are a bit better except for two things; you can't taunt and you can't lock enemies.

If you didn't liked the old DMC's then I say no, you wont have fun playing, not because the game is bad, but because it's the same kind of game those were, with some improvements (gameplay, level desing) and some letdowns (storytelling). It brings nothing new, either good or bad.

I never played Bayoneta so I don't know what kind of game that is, or why you liked so. So, as far as I can tell, you wont like DmC. 

The story and characters aren't very interesting and leave a lot to be desired, reviews led me to believe these aspects would be good but that simply isn't the case. Good news is that combat holds things together despite the lackluster boss battles and generic enemy archetypes...and somewhat confusing controls.

The only Devil May Cry game i've played before this was Devil May Cry 4 and i have to say i would have preferred a continuation of that story instead of this reboot. That being said, DmC: Devil May Cry is still a decent game imo (7/10) but Ninja Theory can and has done better (Enslaved).

Thanks for the responses guys - ive downloaded so if I have some free rime I think ill give it a go.

The reason I solicited opinions is that I don't like to just 'try it and see if I like it' - I have too many games incomplete on my profile for that!

I'm fully aware that the protagonist looks to be a douchy emo teen - I was never attached to the original douchy emo adult from the old games though - I just want a solid mechnical game :)

Yes. The combat is excellent. Not to mention the combo system.

But if you play the previous Devil May Cry, you will be very disappointed.

Disappointed? Lol :D :D

DMC1 rullez !!! :)

If you didn't liked the old DMC's then I say no, you wont have fun playing, not because the game is bad, but because it's the same kind of game those were, with some improvements (gameplay, level desing) and some letdowns (storytelling). It brings nothing new, either good or bad.

I never played Bayoneta so I don't know what kind of game that is, or why you liked so. So, as far as I can tell, you wont like DmC. 

These new players nowadays have such a small and feeble mind! since when can become disillusioned with the old games? DMC for ps3 was roundly criticized for being "reboot"! Now that the game is free in pstore people say "is the best of the serie" lol 
Compare the new with the old dmc is the same as comparing a fiat uno to ferrari 360 !

I played all dmc games and i love of them ( dmc4 should have trophies :( )

Disappointed? Lol :D :D

DMC1 rullez !!! :)

These new players nowadays have such a small and feeble mind! since when can become disillusioned with the old games? DMC for ps3 was roundly criticized for being "reboot"! Now that the game is free in pstore people say "is the best of the serie" lol 
Compare the new with the old dmc is the same as comparing a fiat uno to ferrari 360 !

I played all dmc games and i love of them ( dmc4 should have trophies :( )

I love the DMC series too (my avatar should be proof enough xD) But the strong part of a DMC is the combat (and maybe the badassery of Dante) and if he didn't liked that from the previous games, I can't say he will change his mind with this one.

I never had any problem with DmC being a reboot, I was relieved actually since they decided to change Dante's heritage. And while I don't think DmC is the best of the series (DMC3 FTW), I do think that Vergil's Downfall is probably the best combat experience I've had in the series, if they would make a full game based on Vergil and keep that combat system, it would be incredibly fun and challenging, I fell in love of that DLC the moment I played it.

And yes, DMC4 not having trophies is a crime against gaming.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys - ive downloaded so if I have some free rime I think ill give it a go.

The reason I solicited opinions is that I don't like to just 'try it and see if I like it' - I have too many games incomplete on my profile for that!

I'm fully aware that the protagonist looks to be a douchy emo teen - I was never attached to the original douchy emo adult from the old games though - I just want a solid mechnical game :)

I think you'll enjoy the game. Never got attached to the previous entries, so I played this game without rose tinted glasses and the game is well made.

• Like 1

I've never played any of the original DMC games and only played DMC: Devil May Cry because it was free, I'm about 6 or 7 missions in and I don't think its that bad so far. The enemies are a bit repetitive but I do enjoy trying to find all the collectible keys, doors and undead wall creatures. You should give it a go, it is free and if you don't like it you can always delete it off your ps3 and never mention it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I enjoyed It but then again I played through and am a fan of pretty much the entire series. That being said the story doesn't even come close to devil may cry 3 or 4 but it has by far the best combo system in my opinion. As others said what do you got to lose if its free? Unless of course you don't want it on your trophy history...other then that I recommend giving it a shot

• 2 years later...

Hey, saw this is now free, bearing in mind that I thought the original games were total poop, how is this one?

I've heard good things, but don't know whether the people who like it are fans of the series, or just like this one. Would a paerson who liked Bayonetta but hated the old DMC games like it?

I definitely recommend it. This is the most fun I've had platinuming a game, this and Burnout Paradise that is. I'm not sure if someone who hated the old games will like it but you could try out the demo. It is very different fro the old games though, hence the hate "fans" give it.

Overall it's just a fun and enjoyable game to play, in my opinion. The combat system is fucking great, and the story wouldn't actually be that bad were it not for the fact that everyone and their mother knows what'll happen in the end because of the existence of the previous games.

Edited by alexandergreat20