When do you think the online will shutdown?

OmegaRejectz

Gran Turismo Sport is the only Gran Turismo game I've ever played. I started it 3+ years ago and plan to go back to it eventually, from my understanding the game works a lot like the Hitman World of Assassination Trilogy (2016, 2018 & 2021) where almost everything is online-only and doing basically anything offline is impossible.

I noticed that Gran Turismo 6 had no online trophies, but Gran Turismo 5 did, albeit easy ones, but were unattainable 3 1/2 years after launch as the online components were shut down.

I'm mainly wondering if it'll get the axe when Gran Turismo "7" comes out in a month or a few months after it releases. Or if it'll get better treatment than GT5, for a handful of reasons, number one being how integrated the game is with being online.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Gran Turismo Sport isn't all that old of a game, so I don't think you have much to worry about. If they did shut down the online in the near future I'd be quite surprised.

Online integration is basically a thing here as opposed to Gran Turismo 5 or Gran Turismo 6. It would be stupid to shut the online rather prematurely.

• Like 2

Well the game has been delisted from the store, so the only option if possible is a physical copy of the game. I think this is a hint for the future of the game, though.

I want to be optimistic as this game has been proven challenging, so having a good time window to even bother to get the platinum would be ideal, but who knows if Polyphony makes a statement about the servers closure.

I think to play religiously this game from now onwards is the only guarantee for having a chance, not going to lie.

• Like 1

As Baka_Marimo said, Polyphony Digital would likely take the servers down within 6 months or so. This is what pretty much happened with GT5 Prologue, GT5 and GT6 although they actually pushed back the Prologue's shutdown for like 3 months after fans complained about it. It sucks that Sony would just shut them right away.

On the other hand, It would be interesting to know how they will handle it this time because 1) GT Sport relies heavily on the online only aspect and 2) GT7 would allow you to transfer some game progress & liveries from GT Sport but you need to have both games installed already or something I'm not quite sure of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bahraini_carguy said:

As Baka_Marimo said, Polyphony Digital would likely take the servers down within 6 months or so. This is what pretty much happened with GT5 Prologue, GT5 and GT6 although they actually pushed back the Prologue's shutdown for like 3 months after fans complained about it. It sucks that Sony would just shut them right away.

On the other hand, It would be interesting to know how they will handle it this time because 1) GT Sport relies heavily on the online only aspect and 2) GT7 would allow you to transfer some game progress & liveries from GT Sport but you need to have both games installed already or something I'm not quite sure of.

This basically and would like to add that the eSports league will most likely run GTS rather than GT7 since Sport has all the infrastructure for eSports that GT7 does not have so I think and hope it's not going anywhere soon. But we'll see.

Edited by totallycrushed

On 26/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, totallycrushed said:

It's not delisted.

Yeah sorry. I was having an error with the page while looking for it on the store. Also there's an error here and on (URL not allowed) where you can't get the proper link to purchase neither to see the price tag. 

Thanks for clarifying.

There was a lot of online-focused game that had a very solid base of active people and even so they closed the servers, with GT Sport this would be no different.

To put an end to any hope, the last 2 weeks before launch Polyphony announced that the sport rating will be transferred to GT7 (this includes car patterns, helmets, overalls and stickers). And before that at the FIA awards ceremony, Kazunori said that GT Sport would have his last appearance at the event. And drivers like Igor Fraga, Coque Lopez, Hizal, etc... have already given signs of farewell to the game and will focus on GT7.

In addition, I recommend that if you intend to platinum start from now, because those who know the series and have lived moments since the PS3 know very well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, LucasDragon570 said:

There was a lot of online-focused game that had a very solid base of active people and even so they closed the servers, with GT Sport this would be no different.

To put an end to any hope, the last 2 weeks before launch Polyphony announced that the sport rating will be transferred to GT7 (this includes car patterns, helmets, overalls and stickers). And before that at the FIA awards ceremony, Kazunori said that GT Sport would have his last appearance at the event. And drivers like Igor Fraga, Coque Lopez, Hizal, etc... have already given signs of farewell to the game and will focus on GT7.

In addition, I recommend that if you intend to platinum start from now, because those who know the series and have lived moments since the PS3 know very well.

Agreed! I started the online (sport mode) journey a few weeks ago. It takes around 110 ish hours to do which is a FAT chunk. I noticed a BIG difference in online lobby population when GT7 released and I think its just going to keep getting worse. If you plan on getting the platinum grind the online out NOW because in 3 to 6 months I think it is going to be MUCH more difficult, if not impossible.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:34 PM, cookiemonster33 said:

Agreed! I started the online (sport mode) journey a few weeks ago. It takes around 110 ish hours to do which is a FAT chunk. I noticed a BIG difference in online lobby population when GT7 released and I think its just going to keep getting worse. If you plan on getting the platinum grind the online out NOW because in 3 to 6 months I think it is going to be MUCH more difficult, if not impossible.

Wouldn't the online become easier because there are fewer players so the chances of you winning increases?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zDavzBR said:

Wouldn't the online become easier because there are fewer players so the chances of you winning increases?

Depending on your region and time you're playing. For example in the EU there are times when it's full with insane players and times when there are totally new to the game. For me personally, after the GT7 release, I got way more experienced players due to many of the player base shifted to GT7. It's the  luck of the draw to be honest. :)

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Unji-Most_380 said:

Daily races rotation is already disabled? It's more than a week there are the same 3 races (not a real problem, the first one is pretty easy imo)

Not really. I think that it's a monthly rotation now, because, the one which started on March 14 lasted until April 10th and the one which started on April 11th is the same as it is right now and it should end this coming Monday.

24 minutes ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Given how quickly they shut down 5 I wouldn't hang about. Ps3 games and even now ps4 are always on a timer. Sony doesn't give servers more than 5 years in most cases max 10.  Xbox games are a bit more lenient 

Which games have Sony cut servers off at 5 years?

I just got this game about a month ago and I love it! With they updated Daily races more often though. Don't know why they would shut it down. Game still has lots of populated races all day. Considering not getting GT7 because of their poor support for games. This game isn't even that old and they've neglected the daily races already. It's not hard to code a random generated set so I don't know what their deal is. Not a very good company it seems, or just greedy which I'm not a fan of.

15 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Ah yes, those ones. I thought you might have actually been speaking from a factual background, but now we know it’s pure imagination. 

Driveclub (5 ½ years), Gran Turismo 5 (3½ years), Gran Turismo 6 (4½ years), MAG (4 years), MotorStorm: Pacific Rift (4 years), Resistance 2 (5 ½ years) Resistance 3 (2 ½ years), SOCOM Confrontation (5 years), SOCOM 4 (nearly 3 years). That's 9 games right there. The only PS4 game on the list is Driveclub, so Sony has done better at keeping servers up longer on PS4 than they did with the PS3. 

I don't think GT Sport will remain online too much longer. From looking at the kudosprime website for the past 2 months, Polyphony has stopped updating the online race tracks once a week. Polyphony are only changing the online race tracks once a month now. 

Edited by x7251
  • Like 2