Activision breaks yearly COD cycle

kidson2004

Good riddance.  I was begging for this after COD Ghosts, and the awful Black Ops 3.

It's unreal to me, that Activision struggled with handling COD.  It wasn't hard, add a year so the artists can think and create.  

It's also comical reading that some people believe that the company who ran Halo, Gears, and Forza into the ground, tried to bury Fable, and fully support predatory loot boxes (see Ryse, Halo 5 & Infinite, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4 & 5, Forza Motorsport 5, 6, 7, and many more.  As well as love the GaaS model, of releasing games unfinished, buggy to broken.  (SoD2, Crack 3, and SoT and more).  

Hopefully the year off will breath new life into the game play.  Cause apparently its sales hardly slow

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BadCoolRad said:

If you’re wondering why the yearly cycle is finally broken, it had nothing to do with the Microsoft acquisition since the deal hasn’t closed yet but it mainly was due to the failure of Vanguard and that it didn’t meet yearly sale expectations. But it’s good cause now Treyarch can actually make a good game with more time allotted and MW2 will actually get 2 years of content which is a nice touch.

more dev time doesn't necessarily result in a better product. But it definitely has better odds than if it had the usual lacklustre time schedule.

16 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

Good riddance.  I was begging for this after COD Ghosts, and the awful Black Ops 3.

It's unreal to me, that Activision struggled with handling COD.  It wasn't hard, add a year so the artists can think and create.  

It's also comical reading that some people believe that the company who ran Halo, Gears, and Forza into the ground, tried to bury Fable, and fully support predatory loot boxes (see Ryse, Halo 5 & Infinite, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4 & 5, Forza Motorsport 5, 6, 7, and many more.  As well as love the GaaS model, of releasing games unfinished, buggy to broken.  (SoD2, Crack 3, and SoT and more).  

Hopefully the year off will breath new life into the game play.  Cause apparently its sales hardly slow

Black Ops III is beloved from the Zombies side of things and the multiplayer was largely well received. The campaign is only 1/3 of the game.

This was known about a month ago. But its about damn time, hopefully it will get back to a quality franchise instead of the poor quality of the last 4 titles. WWII was the last good Cod, but that is the first Cod i ever had issues with. On PS4 Pro it has an annoying stuttering issue in the campaign and is the reason i never played it. But MP and Zombies are brilliant. Vanguard has the exact same problem apparently.

I think they need to completely change the game, get rid of the MP, what's the point when you have Warzone? Just do the campaign and co-op. I think its about time they changed it to open world. 

17 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

lol @ vanguard "selling poorly"

capitalist wanks 1f644.png

I mean... when MW2019 can sell 30 million copies and then vanguard sells worse than almost any other COD in a decade then, yeah, it sold poorly. A game with hundreds of developers has a much larger cost to recoup than a handful of devs selling hundreds of thousands of copies.

Just now, GUDGER666 said:

This was known about a month ago. But its about damn time, hopefully it will get back to a quality franchise instead of the poor quality of the last 4 titles. WWII was the last good Cod, but that is the first Cod i ever had issues with. On PS4 Pro it has an annoying stuttering issue in the campaign and is the reason i never played it. But MP and Zombies are brilliant. Vanguard has the exact same problem apparently.

I think they need to completely change the game, get rid of the MP, what's the point when you have Warzone? Just do the campaign and co-op. I think its about time they changed it to open world. 

a 6v6, 5v5, 8v8 small/medium map shooter isn't comparable to a 100+ player 1 life Battle Royale with looting mechanics. Also, surely campaigns are the worst revenue generator, hence why they scrapped it for BO4. It costs the most as they need more voice actors, cutscenes, more intricately designed levels, and only a niche group of people buy it. When somebody says they play COD yearly they in almost every case are not referring to the campaign.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:32 PM, MidnightDragon said:

Never thought I'd see the day. 

Same here. Maybe this is a good thing. With few exceptions, I think the CoD franchise is a bit too samey. Anyone else get the feeling that if you play one, you've played them all? I get the feeling of "move along, nothing more to see here" once I finish most CoD campaigns. I wouldn't mind seeing CoD try open level structures like Crysis 1, with more than one path to an objective.

I miss the days when they shook things up a bit with the futuristic/sci-fi themes.. Advanced, Infinite, and Black Ops II/III remain the best of the series IMO. In BO2 you have some branching. Failing a certain objective opens up the Second Chance mission, and there are even multiple endings.

When I saw the announcement of Vanguard, I yawned. Great, another WWII theme. Ho hum...zzzzz. I'm tired of WWII.

• Like 1