Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection

9 hours ago, aimeraya said:

I want to know what "Cowabunga"really means. I looked it up in dictionary which explains that it's a shouting word while surfing? Or it's actually "WTF" when someone drowns himself?

It's a slang exclamation of amazement or joy. So like you might shout it out as kind of like a battle cry just before catching a giant wave. Michelangelo in the original cartoon speaks in kind of a stereotypical, west coat surfer accent (even though the show is set on the east coast) so he often adopted surfer slang of the day in his catchphases like cowabunga and tubular.

Edited by Guardian_owl

2 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

It's a slang exclamation of amazement or joy. So like you might shout it out as kind of like a battle cry just before catching a giant wave. Michelangelo in the original cartoon speaks in kind of a stereotypical, west coat surfer accent (even though the show is set on the east coast) so he often adopted surfer slang of the day in his catchphases like cowabunga and tubular.

I always thought it was the other way around? It originated with Mikey and TMNT and then became legit slang because of him?

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

I always thought it was the other way around? It originated with Mikey and TMNT and then became legit slang because of him?

Nope, it comes from the 1950s then became surfer slang in the late 50s/early 60s.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cowabunga
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Etymology/cowabunga

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Guardian_owl said:

Ok, thanks for your explanation.

BTW, shame that only TMNT (Arcade), TMNT Turtles in Time (Arcade), TMNT The Hyperstone Heist and TMNT Tournament Fighters these 4 titles we can play online.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

Didn't see this mentioned before, but here's the limited edition. 

A1SIODcYNpL._SL1500_.jpg

It's $149.99 in the US...kind of a ripoff!

That's....a crazy price for what is in the box. This smells like a rush job to capitalise as much as possible on the nostalgia factor. The only thing that seems to have the original artwork from the cartoon is whatever that thing is on the bottom left and the pins (which look quite neat). Everything else just looks...a bit off in terms of branding and artwork.

11 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

That's....a crazy price for what is in the box. This smells like a rush job to capitalise as much as possible on the nostalgia factor. The only thing that seems to have the original artwork from the cartoon is whatever that thing is on the bottom left and the pins (which look quite neat). Everything else just looks...a bit off in terms of branding and artwork.

definitely a rip off. I just ordered base version. I'll probably play it all of 30mins anyway and shelf it.

On 5/18/2022 at 0:18 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

I don't agree with a lot of what you say regularly, but this is one of the few times where I have to nod my head in agreement 100%.

April is being shown there and that looks like the sprite that was in TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist. Pretty much the same as TMNT: Turtles in Time in a lot of respects, but not as good. Shredder was a pain in the ass to beat on that game.

I can't afford the money to buy the limited edition unfortunately, so I'll just settle with the regular digital version on PSN. Can't wait to jump back in time and play these games again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2022 at 2:18 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

The poster on the top right and the box on the left are both drawn by Kevin Eastman, co-creator of the Turtles.  

On 01/07/2022 at 8:26 PM, Snake2410 said:

The poster on the top right and the box on the left are both drawn by Kevin Eastman, co-creator of the Turtles.  

Cool! But it still doesn't change what I said about the original artwork from the cartoon. The poster and box art are in the style of the original comic book that Eastman and Laird drew before it got picked up as an animated cartoon which is way less memorable and recognisable than the animated stuff. Getting picked up by TV was one of the best things to happen to it, because it improved visually leaps and bounds. The comic material always looked janky compared to the animated show artistry. The comics got a little better as time went by, but the animated style was iconic and always the thing that defined the brand, so it's a bit weird that they didn't do that for the box art at least. Their choice I guess, I just feel like there was a real missed opportunity to make this package really stand out.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

9 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Cool! But it still doesn't change what I said about the original artwork from the cartoon. The poster and box art are in the style of the original comic book that Eastman and Laird drew before it got picked up as an animated cartoon which is way less memorable and recognisable than the animated stuff. Getting picked up by TV was one of the best things to happen to it, because it improved visually leaps and bounds. The comic material always looked janky compared to the animated show artistry. The comics got a little better as time went by, but the animated style was iconic and always the thing that defined the brand, so it's a bit weird that they didn't do that for the box art at least. Their choice I guess, I just feel like there was a real missed opportunity to make this package really stand out.

I'd rather have the artist that created them do a cool cover, which I think it is.

Get a slice of Ninja Turtle action at San Diego Comic Con July 21 to July 24!

Enter the Turtle Lair gaming lounge and play the iconic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games releasing as part of the Cowabunga Collection.

--- And that's not all! ---

The first 500 people who arrive at the Turtle Lair at on Thursday July 21, will get a chance to receive fun giveaways including a limited edition black and white print of TMNT original artwork created by Kevin Eastman and a token for a limited entry signing with Kevin Eastman for Friday, July 22 from 12-2pm.

--- More radical news will also be announced during the three-day event! So stay tuned!

45 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

where you find that? thatd be pretty stupid to release a game 5 days before holidays

I saw this on a site called "SteamDB". Whenever there's a game with no release date I look at it because they always leak the date.

They pretty much got the release date for Turtles Sheredder's Revenge and Airoheart right, the month was correct but the day was brought forward.

So I bet the collection will be released in December, maybe early. But I don't see the surprise in relation to the 20th, it's an excellent way to sell even more when it comes to Turtles.

One of my hopes for the game is that for the Pre-Order Bonus for the Digital Version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Cowabunga Collection is the Dynamic PS4 Theme which contains different artworks from different Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games. Although, I don't have any possible idea what the Pre-Order Bonus look like for the Physical Disc Version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Cowabunga Collection yet.

10 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

Release Date: August 30

August 30th!?

Jesus, how many more months do they need to make sure the ROMS and emulators work, that we've all been able to play on emulators for well over 20 years.

16 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

August 30th!?

Jesus, how many more months do they need to make sure the ROMS and emulators work, that we've all been able to play on emulators for well over 20 years.

Isn’t this Digital Eclipse? They seem to be anal-retentive game preservationists who probably have Pantone swatches out making sure colours are accurately reproduced from the original arcade monitors or that they didn’t crop 2mm from a scanned concept doc they found after two weeks sifting through dusty boxes in a Konami store room…

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear this was actually planned for later in the year but is now being rushed out to capitalise on the moment TMNT Shredder’s Revenge is having and the hype around that game.

Edited by Tsundokuist